ImageImage

Prospect Thread: Deni Avdija

Moderators: fatlever, yosemiteben, Diop, BigSlam, JDR720

User avatar
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 45,036
And1: 2,807
Joined: Jul 01, 2005

Prospect Thread: Deni Avdija 

Post#1 » by BigSlam » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:16 am

Go for it


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BBMF'ers
DY_nasty
Head Coach
Posts: 6,786
And1: 2,556
Joined: Apr 14, 2010

Re: Prospect Thread: Deni Avdija 

Post#2 » by DY_nasty » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:03 am

Traded back and take him
User avatar
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 45,036
And1: 2,807
Joined: Jul 01, 2005

Re: Prospect Thread: Deni Avdija 

Post#3 » by BigSlam » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:32 am

Isn’t he unathletic AND a terrible shooter - shooting something like 50% or 60% from the free throw line (which is often a good indicator)?

I feel like he’s only in the mix because of recency bias and the way Doncic has exploded onto the scene.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BBMF'ers
Hornet Mania
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,793
And1: 4,108
Joined: Jul 05, 2014
Location: Dornbirn, Austria
     

Re: Prospect Thread: Deni Avdija 

Post#4 » by Hornet Mania » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:21 pm

2020's Mario Hezonja. Big nope.

He's probably going to be the pick though, because I haven't been this certain about a lotto prospect's mediocrity since Frank Kaminsky. :(
User avatar
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
Posts: 34,218
And1: 10,083
Joined: Dec 29, 2008
Location: Asheville, NC
   

Re: Prospect Thread: Deni Avdija 

Post#5 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:07 pm

Bonnell is riding this guy pretty hard. He's very intriguing, but 56% from the FT line and 28% from 3 is insanely concerning.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
LofJ
General Manager
Posts: 9,064
And1: 6,395
Joined: Mar 29, 2014
   

Re: Prospect Thread: Deni Avdija 

Post#6 » by LofJ » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:16 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:Bonnell is riding this guy pretty hard. He's very intriguing, but 56% from the FT line and 28% from 3 is insanely concerning.


Nope, if we want a playmaking wing just draft Ball or rain check for a year and wait for the much better class of wing players in the 2021 draft.
User avatar
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 45,036
And1: 2,807
Joined: Jul 01, 2005

Re: Prospect Thread: Deni Avdija 

Post#7 » by BigSlam » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:29 pm

BBMF'ers
Soul Rebel
Junior
Posts: 326
And1: 166
Joined: Jun 10, 2015
Location: Honolulu : SEA : CLT
Contact:
         

Re: Prospect Thread: Deni Avdija 

Post#8 » by Soul Rebel » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:31 pm

Hornet Mania wrote:2020's Mario Hezonja. Big nope.

He's probably going to be the pick though, because I haven't been this certain about a lotto prospect's mediocrity since Frank Kaminsky. :(


I was so sour when Orlando drafted him that year. I was so confident that Hezonja was the next big Euro star in the NBA.
Image
Hornet Mania
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,793
And1: 4,108
Joined: Jul 05, 2014
Location: Dornbirn, Austria
     

Re: Prospect Thread: Deni Avdija 

Post#9 » by Hornet Mania » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:33 pm

Soul Rebel wrote:
Hornet Mania wrote:2020's Mario Hezonja. Big nope.

He's probably going to be the pick though, because I haven't been this certain about a lotto prospect's mediocrity since Frank Kaminsky. :(


I was so sour when Orlando drafted him that year. I was so confident that Hezonja was the next big Euro star in the NBA.


I thought he had a chance too tbh, but seeing that mistake from afar has made me cool on Deni.
User avatar
KingCat
Pro Prospect
Posts: 920
And1: 210
Joined: Jan 29, 2012
   

Re: Prospect Thread: Deni Avdija 

Post#10 » by KingCat » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:39 am

He isn't my guy, but I hate the narrative that he is unathletic cause he is a white European. He has a pretty good first step and is def more athletic than Hezonga
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
User avatar
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,572
And1: 2,363
Joined: Jun 26, 2015
Location: Milky Way
   

Re: Prospect Thread: Deni Avdija 

Post#11 » by 316Hornets » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:55 am

KingCat wrote:He isn't my guy, but I hate the narrative that he is unathletic cause he is a white European. He has a pretty good first step and is def more athletic than Hezonga


The problem is most of his opponents have been pretty unathletic. You could say the same about Ball, but the big thing with Ball is that his passing will easily translate. Can't say the same about a guy rim running and blocking smaller guys than you'd find in the NBA.

I see his ceiling as an excellent role player. I'd prefer to get more than a role player with the #3 pick.
Who at 3? My board - Ratings
1 Lamelo 100
2 Edwards 99
3 Hayes 97
4 Wiseman 97
5 Okongwu 96
DY_nasty
Head Coach
Posts: 6,786
And1: 2,556
Joined: Apr 14, 2010

Re: Prospect Thread: Deni Avdija 

Post#12 » by DY_nasty » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:47 pm

Its the kind of draft where you're fine walking away with a serviceable player lol
JMAC3
Analyst
Posts: 3,074
And1: 634
Joined: May 22, 2010
     

Re: Prospect Thread: Deni Avdija 

Post#13 » by JMAC3 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:44 am

Deni is one of my favorite guys in this draft. His shooting is continuing to get better, form is pretty nice and has a quick release for his size.

Really aggressive in transition pushing the ball and can either finish or make the right play- reminds me of simmons in this aspect.

Not sure his ideal position yet, seems like people are sure if he is a guard or forward depending on the site you look at. I envision him as a three, but can play with a lot of different lineups due to his size and playmaking.

Watching his interview with Mike Schmitz from espn was huge for me, his IQ jumps off the page and you can tell he sees the game well. Then watch Melo video with Schmitz and it seems like you are talking to a 13 year old.




Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Image
Vanderbilt_Grad
Analyst
Posts: 3,629
And1: 1,381
Joined: Sep 22, 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Prospect Thread: Deni Avdija 

Post#14 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:49 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Deni is one of my favorite guys in this draft.

What makes him different than the Euro guys who busted?
Hope is free.
DY_nasty
Head Coach
Posts: 6,786
And1: 2,556
Joined: Apr 14, 2010

Re: Prospect Thread: Deni Avdija 

Post#15 » by DY_nasty » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:56 pm

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:Deni is one of my favorite guys in this draft.

What makes him different than the Euro guys who busted?

that's so amazingly vague lol...

do all euro guys play the same?
JMAC3
Analyst
Posts: 3,074
And1: 634
Joined: May 22, 2010
     

Re: Prospect Thread: Deni Avdija 

Post#16 » by JMAC3 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:30 pm

Watch his video with Mike Schmitz of ESPN. Dude is super smart, willing to learn and accept criticism.

His body is impressive for a 19 yr old, most euros aren’t ready for nba contact. He does a good job of accepting contact and still finishing or remaining vertical on defense to contest.

I think he can play a very similar style to Ben Simmons. Big who can defend multiple positions, run offense on the ball or out of a post up.




Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Image
User avatar
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 31,446
And1: 12,388
Joined: Jul 24, 2004
Location: House of Diop
 

Re: Prospect Thread: Deni Avdija 

Post#17 » by Diop » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:53 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:Bonnell is riding this guy pretty hard.

That’s a no from me
Image
JMAC3
Analyst
Posts: 3,074
And1: 634
Joined: May 22, 2010
     

Re: Prospect Thread: Deni Avdija 

Post#18 » by JMAC3 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:42 am

Not saying he is Luka by any means, but gah if he is 75% of Luka you have to consider him with how well Luka is playing.

An aggressive playmaking wing with size and handles is where the league is heading.


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Image
driveandkick
Senior
Posts: 670
And1: 195
Joined: May 23, 2015
       

Re: Prospect Thread: Deni Avdija 

Post#19 » by driveandkick » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:29 am

JMAC3 wrote:Not saying he is Luka by any means, but gah if he is 75% of Luka you have to consider him with how well Luka is playing.

An aggressive playmaking wing with size and handles is where the league is heading.


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

I’m not even sure he is 7.5% of Luka
2020 NBA Draft Charlotte Hornets Wishlist for #3:
1) LaMelo Ball
2) Anthony Edwards
3) Killian Hayes
4) Onyeka Okongwu
5) Deni Avdija
6) James Wiseman
JMAC3
Analyst
Posts: 3,074
And1: 634
Joined: May 22, 2010
     

Re: Prospect Thread: Deni Avdija 

Post#20 » by JMAC3 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:56 am

driveandkick wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:Not saying he is Luka by any means, but gah if he is 75% of Luka you have to consider him with how well Luka is playing.

An aggressive playmaking wing with size and handles is where the league is heading.


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

I’m not even sure he is 7.5% of Luka


Seems like an exaggeration, what about Deni are you so against?


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Image

Return to Charlotte Hornets