ImageImage

Fake Trade Thread #3

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,171

Re: Fake Trade Thread #3 

Post#1401 » by SWedd523 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:39 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:More than ok staying put. Probably would've got in on Mcgee, but oh well.

Agreed. The right move was doing little or nothing to hedge a (would-be) failed playoff run.

The team is already saddled with the Batum handicap. No point in moving anything for short term gain. The only pieces would've been Graham (not happening now with Melo out), Monk, and maybe Zeller. That's probably not going to net anything worth a damn.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Post#1402 » by Braggins » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:33 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
Read on Twitter

Makes a ton of sense.

Good free agent target imo. They should be able to cover his contract with the MLE, which means he wouldn't have any effect on them retaining anyone they want between Monk, Devonte, and Zeller.

I could see the free agency being extending Monk and/or Graham, resigning Zeller to a really cheap deal to be backup center, and then signing Theis with the MLE to be the starter. At that point the roster will be pretty well filled and they can still look to trade one of Monk/Graham down the line, which is better than letting either walk for nothing imo, assuming they want to stay and will sign reasonable contracts.
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#1403 » by euphorbus » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:41 am

Braggins wrote:I could see the free agency being extending Monk and/or Graham, resigning Zeller to a really cheap deal to be backup center, and then signing Theis with the MLE to be the starter. At that point the roster will be pretty well filled and they can still look to trade one of Monk/Graham down the line, which is better than letting either walk for nothing imo, assuming they want to stay and will sign reasonable contracts.

I expect that Monk will sign an offer sheet with another team, and the Hornets will decline to match it. They are too committed to Devonté Graham. Just like that, he's gone, with no return to the Hornets.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,247

Post#1404 » by luciano-davidwesley » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:08 am

euphorbus wrote:
Braggins wrote:I could see the free agency being extending Monk and/or Graham, resigning Zeller to a really cheap deal to be backup center, and then signing Theis with the MLE to be the starter. At that point the roster will be pretty well filled and they can still look to trade one of Monk/Graham down the line, which is better than letting either walk for nothing imo, assuming they want to stay and will sign reasonable contracts.

I expect that Monk will sign an offer sheet with another team, and the Hornets will decline to match it. They are too committed to Devonté Graham. Just like that, he's gone, with no return to the Hornets.

Agreed. I think we should have traded Monk for a second rounder or two or a pick swap opportunity before we inevitably lose him for nothing next off-season.

Maybe noone wanted him though.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,524

Post#1405 » by Bassman » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:24 am

yosemiteben wrote:
Bassman wrote:Mitch seems to get a case of hives and rashes when he has to subject himself to the pressures of drafting. In his elder years he prefers to avoid it. Better to do a minor nothing deal with”the club” to help someone with their cap. “Nice, and the drinks on on me Mitch”...says his pal at GS. But then again, all of our young big talent is so good they rarely play, so taking a shot with someone who could actually help this year for little of nothing is not preferable.

I'm confused, did you mean to say "the pressures of trading"?

Yes thanks...meant trading. Drafts...he’s done well.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
Roll Tide 09
Bench Warmer
And1: 439

Post#1406 » by Roll Tide 09 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:49 pm

I would like to see us possibly Sign and Trade Graham and one second round pick to the Mavericks. We should be able to pick up a few draft picks (including a first...maybe two) and possibly a solid role player. Graham would do well playing next to Doncic and Doncic would actually benefit from Graham as well.
IG: @theonlylogicalthinker
IG: @arisethecompany

Twitter: @arisethecompany

driveandkick
Pro Prospect
And1: 434

Post#1407 » by driveandkick » Fri May 14, 2021 11:00 pm

I’m stuck in traffic and I’m here wondering: what would you give for a player like KAT? We are in such a unique spot in franchise history. We have a potential star in LaMelo and a damn abundance of strong role players. The problem is I’m not sure any of them are more than strong role players.

We know it’s a star driven league, and we are going to have a hard time finding another star or two to pair Melo with. I have no idea if KAT even wants out or not, nor do I know how he would fit here. But I do think I could be talked into it. I’m terrified of capping our roster out with high level role players and no other stars.
Rays Pompadour
Senior
And1: 418

Post#1408 » by Rays Pompadour » Sat May 15, 2021 4:56 pm

I've missed this thread.

driveandkick wrote:I’m stuck in traffic and I’m here wondering: what would you give for a player like KAT? We are in such a unique spot in franchise history. We have a potential star in LaMelo and a damn abundance of strong role players. The problem is I’m not sure any of them are more than strong role players.

We know it’s a star driven league, and we are going to have a hard time finding another star or two to pair Melo with. I have no idea if KAT even wants out or not, nor do I know how he would fit here. But I do think I could be talked into it. I’m terrified of capping our roster out with high level role players and no other stars.

I guess I'd not be in favor of mortgaging the future for a player 'like' KAT, or even FOR KAT. I see the big, black hole at center everyone else does, but I think a quality replacement-level player at that position will help cement what's already in place.

Ball, Hayward and Rozier are above-role-player level players. Bridges has his moments, but I think he's a role player or one of those 'glue' players every squad needs. Same with McDaniels and Graham. Monk has star potential, but he has so many challenges to overcome to reach that status. Big Vern and Richards are nice 2023 contributors. Always need something in the pipeline.

I think a Myles Turner is a better trade target for the current makeup of the Hornets. Richaun Holmes in free agency makes sense. I also think the Hornets should add shooting at the off-guard spot. Duncan Robinson would be an ideal add.
Roll Tide 09
Bench Warmer
And1: 439

Post#1409 » by Roll Tide 09 » Sat May 15, 2021 11:15 pm

driveandkick wrote:I’m stuck in traffic and I’m here wondering: what would you give for a player like KAT? We are in such a unique spot in franchise history. We have a potential star in LaMelo and a damn abundance of strong role players. The problem is I’m not sure any of them are more than strong role players.

Zeller, Washington, and a first round pick. I wouldn't give up any main pieces because we want to win and the Timberwolves are always losing...so he's good...great, but he's not a huge team changer...at least not at the moment.
IG: @theonlylogicalthinker
IG: @arisethecompany

Twitter: @arisethecompany

Rays Pompadour
Senior
And1: 418

Post#1410 » by Rays Pompadour » Sun May 16, 2021 2:57 am

Roll Tide 09 wrote:

Zeller, Washington, and a first round pick. I wouldn't give up any main pieces because we want to win and the Timberwolves are always losing...so he's good...great, but he's not a huge team changer...at least not at the moment.

Pretty sure Zeller will be an UFA once the season is finished. Charlotte could re-sign him, but, if I remember my rules, they couldn't trade him until sometime in December. Also, KAT makes, like, around $30M per and is locked in until 2024. It would be nearly impossible to match salaries without involving another team. With all that, plus the Timberwolves' evolving ownership situation, I think it's not something the Hornets should pursue - or even entertain as a fake trade idea.
Benjamin Linus
Veteran
And1: 1,268

Post#1411 » by Benjamin Linus » Sun May 16, 2021 3:24 pm

If Dallas gets bounced early in the playoffs, I wouldn't be surprised to see them move Porzingis this offseason. You've got those rumors of him and Doncic not getting along and him not really fitting into their system.

What about something involving Hayward for Porzingis?

They make the same ATM so it would be an easy trade, but going forward KP's contract gets much more expensive each year compared to Hayward's. Both players miss about the same number of games each season. We need a center. Dallas needs another scorer/playmaker to pair with Doncic. I don't know if one side needs to add more to the trade to make it even. Last time Porzingis got traded it wasn't for much, if that means anything now.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,171

Post#1412 » by SWedd523 » Sun May 16, 2021 6:26 pm

Porzingis has even more injury concerns than Hayward
CuseMayne
Sixth Man
And1: 1,372

Post#1413 » by CuseMayne » Sun May 16, 2021 8:14 pm

Hayward and our first (if we don't move up) for Turner + Justin Holiday. I'd love it.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,653

Post#1414 » by yosemiteben » Sun May 16, 2021 8:44 pm

SWedd523 wrote:Porzingis has even more injury concerns than Hayward

Yeah, I'm not sure what we'd be accomplishing by that move, other than to steal Miles or PJ minutes without finding a true C. Zinger doesn't fix our rotation at all, I'd rather keep Hayward.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#1415 » by BigSlam » Wed May 19, 2021 2:14 am

The Hornets pursued Holmes before the trade deadline in a package that centered around swapping guard Malik Monk, sources said, although Charlotte's interest in Myles Turner and Montrezl Harrell also became widely known around the league. The Hornets also made a spirited effort to sign Andre Drummond on the buyout market, sources said, and the current Lakers center is set to reach the open market again this summer.
B B M F 'ers
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Post#1416 » by Liver_Pooty » Wed May 19, 2021 2:18 am

BigSlam wrote:
The Hornets pursued Holmes before the trade deadline in a package that centered around swapping guard Malik Monk, sources said, although Charlotte's interest in Myles Turner and Montrezl Harrell also became widely known around the league. The Hornets also made a spirited effort to sign Andre Drummond on the buyout market, sources said, and the current Lakers center is set to reach the open market again this summer.

Monk for Holmes would've been amazing.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#1417 » by HornetJail » Wed May 19, 2021 1:00 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:
BigSlam wrote:

considering we can just sign him this summer while retaining Monk's cap hold, no it wouldn't have
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Post#1418 » by Liver_Pooty » Wed May 19, 2021 1:29 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:
BigSlam wrote:

considering we can just sign him this summer while retaining Monk's cap hold, no it wouldn't have

Meant it would've been better for this season. And with Monk being as inconsistent as he is probably wouldn't have been devastating for the future either.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
spankymoore7
Rookie
And1: 324

Post#1419 » by spankymoore7 » Wed May 19, 2021 1:47 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:
BigSlam wrote:

I doubt we could make a big enough offer to Holmes while keeping Monk's cap hold
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,598

Post#1420 » by NYG » Wed May 19, 2021 9:58 pm

What contract are you expecting Graham and Monk to get this off-season? Which would Charlotte prefer to keep?

Return to Charlotte Hornets