ImageImage

Fake Trade Thread #3

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

provecy15
Senior
And1: 190

Re: Fake Trade Thread #3 

Post#41 » by provecy15 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:16 pm

Not a Hornets fan ( but outsider who would love to see your team do better). I think you guys should go and get Westbrook. Don't give up the #3 pick for him.

Charlotte Trades T.Rozier, Cody Zeller + 2021 2nd round pick and 2024 FRP
Houston Trades Russell Westbrook (salaries work)

Houston does not have any FRP from 2024-2026. Next year's draft is LOADED and you already have the third pick this year.

I'm hoping you guys get Wiseman.

Wiseman
Washington
Bridges
Graham
Westbrook

Monk
Free agent
Batum
Martin
Free agent
James Gatz
Veteran
And1: 693

Post#42 » by James Gatz » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:27 pm

luciano-davidwesley wrote:
James Gatz wrote:
luciano-davidwesley wrote:https://www.nbaanalysis.net/2020/11/12/this-hornets-rockets-trade-breaks-up-the-harden-westbrook-duo/2/

This idiot has us trading Devonte, Batum, Monk AND the #3 pick for Westbrick. :lol: The Rockets will be counting their lucky stars if they can salary dump Westbrook without giving up any of their basically non existent assets.

His rationale? Hornets could never build a contender through the draft and being patient. They should be grateful for getting an 8th seed. Of course the Bucks and Nuggets must be a mirage. What a moron.

I love how it's the notion nationally to assume the Hornets will make dumb trades because they are the hornets.

I mean we are about to draft Wiseman

Just because you (and in the minority) don't like a draft prospect doesn't mean it's definitely the wrong guy.

Also your comment has no real relevance to the post you quoted re: the validity of the proposed trade.

I only meant it as a joke. 8-)

I'm also annoyed by the perception of the Hornets. That being said, we've continued to be a short sighted organization and have made bad deals over the past decade. Hard to fault people for dragging us.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#43 » by BigSlam » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:35 pm

provecy15 wrote:Not a Hornets fan ( but outsider who would love to see your team do better). I think you guys should go and get Westbrook. Don't give up the #3 pick for him.

Charlotte Trades T.Rozier, Cody Zeller + 2021 2nd round pick and 2024 FRP
Houston Trades Russell Westbrook (salaries work)

Houston does not have any FRP from 2024-2026. Next year's draft is LOADED and you already have the third pick this year.

I'm hoping you guys get Wiseman.

Wiseman
Washington
Bridges
Graham
Westbrook

Monk
Free agent
Batum
Martin
Free agent

Houston are the ones who’d have to surrender the 2021 2nd round pick and 2024 1st round pick to get out of that contract - not the other way around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
_tijo_
Hornets Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 335

Post#44 » by _tijo_ » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:40 pm

Let me say this.

If Houston wants any player under 26, or expects any draft picks to come back to them, then the Hornets pass. Go take that to New York or LA or somewhere else.

But I think they will find that the interest in RW will not be what they think it is.
Who I woulda took:
2022: Duren | 2021: Bouknight, Jones | 2020: Ball | 2019: PJ | 2018: Porter Jr | 2017: Monk | 2016: Damian Jones | 2015: Winslow | 2014: Vonleh, Napier | 2013: McLemore | 2012: MKG | 2011: Knight, Kawhi
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#45 » by 316Hornets » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:05 am

I'm going to trust in Kupchak here and not pay any attention to dumb fans from other teams thinking we should sacrifice the farm for Westbrook.

If we wanted to pay a PG a max contract, we would've given it to Kemba. Giving up every asset we have to get Westbrook after passing on Kemba would go down as possibly the worst management decision in sports history.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#46 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:56 am

Westbrook is a top 3 worst contract. Why is it so hard for fans to wrap their heads around that? ESPN just surveyed league interest and reported finding nothing substantial. It's clear the Rockets would have to attach a lotto pick to move 133 million. And they don't have that. They're stuck with Westbrook. Hornets are interested in taking on bad contracts because we want assets attached. Again Westbrook is a top 3 worst contract. Trade proposals involving him are a waste of time. Houston is stuck with him. I guarantee it.
It has been written...
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Post#47 » by Braggins » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:03 am

MasterIchiro wrote:Westbrook is a top 3 worst contract. Why is it so hard for fans to wrap their heads around that? ESPN just surveyed league interest and reported finding nothing substantial. It's clear the Rockets would have to attach a lotto pick to move 133 million. And they don't have that. They're stuck with Westbrook. Hornets are interested in taking on bad contracts because we want assets attached. Again Westbrook is a top 3 worst contract. Trade proposals involving him are a waste of time. Houston is stuck with him. I guarantee it.

I can't be this confident as long as MJ is in the conversation, but this SHOULD be the exact perspective of the front office.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#48 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:42 am

Braggins wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:Westbrook is a top 3 worst contract. Why is it so hard for fans to wrap their heads around that? ESPN just surveyed league interest and reported finding nothing substantial. It's clear the Rockets would have to attach a lotto pick to move 133 million. And they don't have that. They're stuck with Westbrook. Hornets are interested in taking on bad contracts because we want assets attached. Again Westbrook is a top 3 worst contract. Trade proposals involving him are a waste of time. Houston is stuck with him. I guarantee it.

I can't be this confident as long as MJ is in the conversation, but this SHOULD be the exact perspective of the front office.

I think we planted a strategic leak. We're not divided on Westbrook. We just wanted to put all GM's on notice that we'd consider taking on bad contracts no matter how massive. Kupchak's read is that teams will pay a premium to clean up their cap while the country faces rising COVID infection and death. Owners don't like losing money and they're about to. Kupchak is reading the market right and wants to field calls from teams offering draft assets to move contracts. Batum suddenly has value as an expiring. Make no mistake about it. His contract is worth more than Westbrook's and I guess that makes some frontrunners all butt-hurt. But it's the cold, hard truth. Think TJ Warren for cap type deals being more prevalent. We are in asset collection mode. We're not a dumping grounds for liabilities. Fans misunderstand the market and overlook the underlying factors influencing the birth of a rumor. My take is Kupchak anticipates teams paying a premium for cap and he's opened the floodgates for teams desperate for relief. If we're "divided" on a top 3 worst contract, we'd consider all offers, because no offer is worse than Westbrook's deal. 47 million dollar option. Not happening. Not here. Not anywhere except Houston, Texas.
It has been written...
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,163

Post#49 » by JMAC3 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:49 am

Batum’s trade value is at an all time high right now.

Tons of teams are probably dying to get out of longer deals, but they probably won’t start to view it this way until after free agency.

But honestly the more I look around the league the more I think teams are in trouble with contracts.

Magic looking to trade Gordon has more to do with cap than his ability.

Pacers really don’t have flexibility to bring Oladipo back.

Philly is a mess.

Houston is a mess.

Wizards are a mess.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,247

Post#50 » by luciano-davidwesley » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:24 am

Yep so we are going to trade all of our best assets bar PJ for Westbrook :lol:
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#51 » by DY_nasty » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:38 pm

we're about to have a clean cap sheet for the first time in almost a decade and people here are legit talking up one of the biggest high stats/low impact guys in the league who also happens to be racking up injuries, aging, and on a monstrous contract

"but but but westbrook puts people in the seats"

not if he's racking up DNPs and we can't afford to bring anyone else in lmao
vtime
Rookie
And1: 247

Post#52 » by vtime » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:56 pm

All that cap space but not a free agent destination. Nothing wrong with grabbing a star with a bad contract, but is an icon among players and could draw another star. You can add Westbrook and retain a ton of cap space by moving contracts like Batum and Zeller. There's no big name free agent that's going to sign with the current core in 2021 or 2022. If you can add Westbrook while keeping #3, Bridges, PJ, and Graham and all future picks, you become extremely attractive coming in summer 2021 coming off a playoff appearance, Jimmy Butler was viewed as toxic and took a Heat team from the lottery to the finals. One player in the East can change everything. Westbrook is more of a force than Butler.
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#53 » by DY_nasty » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:47 pm

vtime wrote:All that cap space but not a free agent destination. Nothing wrong with grabbing a star with a bad contract, but is an icon among players and could draw another star. You can add Westbrook and retain a ton of cap space by moving contracts like Batum and Zeller. There's no big name free agent that's going to sign with the current core in 2021 or 2022. If you can add Westbrook while keeping #3, Bridges, PJ, and Graham and all future picks, you become extremely attractive coming in summer 2021 coming off a playoff appearance, Jimmy Butler was viewed as toxic and took a Heat team from the lottery to the finals. One player in the East can change everything. Westbrook is more of a force than Butler.
lol

we've literally never had cap space in a single quality free agent market. find a point where we could've offered a max contract and acknowledge how the context has not once made sense for us to do so. "we can't attract FA"s is based on nothing. if anything we can't even trade for a star worth getting because our contract situation has been perennially horrendous.

and with the way contracts are now, players gonna take the check from whoever has the ability to offer anyways. and name some guys who've taken a paycut to play with russ? because that's what you're asking for

westbrook has done less with better teams than butler has. i swear people prefer highlights over value.... jimmy improved every team he's been on whether he's been the good guy or the bad guy. and those teams always had to accept the fact that he was right when he left. russ meanwhile hasn't made a marginal difference for a team in ages. he's this generation's carmelo anthony at point guard
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#54 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:04 pm

We're in such a great position with cap, having waited out Batum, Biz, MKG, Marvin contracts without sacrificing picks and having cut ties with Kemba without sabotaging the orgs relationship with fans.

We're one of the few teams that can spend at a time when COVID has destroyed spending power for cashed-out teams and has them cutting talent that was always a luxury.

I would probe the market for discounts on younger players on bigger contracts, Turner, Beal, Hield. Buy them cheaper now and make them part of our rebuild and be ready to win after this year. And of course I would be willing to scoop up picks for older players on big contracts.

I think the Rockets will try to flip Covington for a pick to attach to Westbrook but ultimately they will have to move Harden in order to move Westbrook. Thing about moving Harden is they want Ben Simmons and the Sixers don't have draft capital.
It has been written...
vtime
Rookie

Post#55 » by vtime » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:42 pm

This also works. Miles and PJ are both best a pf and PJ is our best player, so you can move Miles for an actual wing with just as much if not more upside and still stay in the top 10 of the draft.

Hornets receive: RJ Barrett and #8
Knicks receive: Bridges and #3.

If Okongwu is there at #8 you take him, if not you take the best guard/wing. Haliburton or Hayes, maybe Vassell, depending on who you're high on. I think New York would do it, they would now have Robinson and Bridges as the young 4/5 combination and a good shot to pair them with Lamelo Ball if the draft order most experts are predicting comes to fruition, and then they can save you all from having to worry about your team trading for Westbrook.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,238

Post#56 » by amcoolio » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:56 pm

vtime wrote:This also works. Miles and PJ are both best a pf and PJ is our best player, so you can move Miles for an actual wing with just as much if not more upside and still stay in the top 10 of the draft.

If Okongwu is there at #8 you take him, if not you take the best guard/wing. Haliburton or Hayes, maybe Vassell, depending on who you're high on. I think New York would do it, they would now have Robinson and Bridges as the young 4/5 combination and a good shot to pair them with Lamelo Ball if the draft order most experts are predicting comes to fruition, and then they can save you all from having to worry about your team trading for Westbrook.

Thats a no brainer but no way the Knicks do that

I support trading back as I would take Maxey, Okongwu, Hayes over Wiseman
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
vtime
Rookie

Post#57 » by vtime » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:41 pm

amcoolio wrote:
vtime wrote:This also works. Miles and PJ are both best a pf and PJ is our best player, so you can move Miles for an actual wing with just as much if not more upside and still stay in the top 10 of the draft.

I think the Knicks would do it. You put Miles at the 4 and he's a star. Shades of former small Knicks pf's ala Mason, LJ. A lot of sf's exploded after being moved to pf's. Marion I think is a good comparison. Odom took off after switching to pf. More recent examples were Bojan Bodganovic in Utah and the bubble version of TJ Warren. The Suns also experienced this in the bubble with Cameron Johnson.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#58 » by HornetJail » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:49 pm

I do not see NY giving up on Barrett this soon.

I disagree on your valuation of Miles. Put him at the 4 full time and he's somewhere between Harrison Barnes and Aaron Gordon in three years. I like the guy but he's no future star barring a MASSIVE improvement in his handles and three-ball.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#59 » by DY_nasty » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:20 pm

vtime wrote:
amcoolio wrote:

I think the Knicks would do it. You put Miles at the 4 and he's a star. Shades of former small Knicks pf's ala Mason, LJ. A lot of sf's exploded after being moved to pf's. Marion I think is a good comparison. Odom took off after switching to pf. More recent examples were Bojan Bodganovic in Utah and the bubble version of TJ Warren. The Suns also experienced this in the bubble with Cameron Johnson.

???

if it was that simple, then why don't WE put Miles at the 4 and get a star? :lol:
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#60 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:42 pm

I think Miles is this year's breakout candidate. Nobody saw Devonte' being the one last year. Kupchak has said Monk is our most talented but Miles is our most competitive. I think he's gonna break out. But no way Knicks trade Barrett for him.
It has been written...

Return to Charlotte Hornets