Fake Trade Thread #3

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,833

Re: Fake Trade Thread #3 

Post#641 » by Diop » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:26 am

Pacers are 3 - 0 and the 2 big lineup appears to be working.

Unless Myles cracks it asking for more offensive touches, I can't see Pacers being in a hurry to trade him
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#642 » by LofJ » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:34 pm

I like both Graham and Rozier, but I really dislike starting them together. They're fine as an offensive pairing, but the lack of size really hurts us defensively. One of them needs to be traded.
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#643 » by DY_nasty » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:37 pm

LofJ wrote:I like both Graham and Rozier, but I really dislike starting them together. They're fine as an offensive pairing, but the lack of size really hurts us defensively. One of them needs to be traded.

Read on Twitter

give it time. teams desperate for pg help gonna start calling soon enough lol
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#644 » by JMAC3 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:14 pm

DY_nasty wrote:
LofJ wrote:I like both Graham and Rozier, but I really dislike starting them together. They're fine as an offensive pairing, but the lack of size really hurts us defensively. One of them needs to be traded.

Read on Twitter

When you take into account that these stats are only accounting for makes then the sample size is hilariously small

10 threes made so he has made 5 unassisted threes in 4 games, not that crazy.

If anything these stats are telling me he is improving as a scorer and able to say "get out of my way and let me cook". I mean he won player of the week, so you know he has been on fire and the coaching staff was probably running iso a ton.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
LofJ
RealGM

Post#645 » by LofJ » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:23 pm

The Pelicans roster construction is impressively bad. They've just been gifted with so much lottery luck over the years they've managed to avoid criticism. If we had their luck even this organization would be in the playoffs consistently.

Seriously, right now they're starting Ball, Bledsoe, Ingram, Zion, and Adams. They're all good players, but my lord are they serious about that group being their starting 5? It's like they're trying to make it more difficult for them to win. They'll win a fair amount because they're just that talented, but damn what the hell are they thinking?
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#646 » by DY_nasty » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:35 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:

Read on Twitter

When you take into account that these stats are only accounting for makes then the sample size is hilariously small

10 threes made so he has made 5 unassisted threes in 4 games, not that crazy.

If anything these stats are telling me he is improving as a scorer and able to say "get out of my way and let me cook". I mean he won player of the week, so you know he has been on fire and the coaching staff was probably running iso a ton.

wasn't really the point of the post. teams are gonna start developing their own ideas of narratives/needs as the season goes on which is gonna drive up the value for graham or rozier regardless of what we do.

(ingram has improved dramatically but he's got far less help initiating or getting put in advantageous positions - and its important to note because NO's offense is nonsensically bad. its not a sample size thing either, they're one of the ugliest offenses in the league right now despite having more than enough talented guys to be at least average or appear competent. bledsoe isn't going to suddenly be a good pg and lonzo has a ways to go before he's ever a lead guard considering he still can't finish or create consistently)
LofJ wrote:The Pelicans roster construction is impressively bad. They've just been gifted with so much lottery luck over the years they've managed to avoid criticism. If we had their luck even this organization would be in the playoffs consistently.

Seriously, right now they're starting Ball, Bledsoe, Ingram, Zion, and Adams. They're all good players, but my lord are they serious about that group being their starting 5? It's like they're trying to make it more difficult for them to win. They'll win a fair amount because they're just that talented, but damn what the hell are they thinking?

I don't know why they hired SVG of all people tbh....

But yeah, they look horrible and its not because of the individuals entirely. They fail at running even basic stuff to get going because they don't have a PG that can really do it. There's nothing I'm particularly excited about getting off of their roster anyways outside of draft picks.
Kukoc-Lauri
Bench Warmer
And1: 414

Post#647 » by Kukoc-Lauri » Sat Jan 2, 2021 10:14 pm

I am big advocatte for this win/win trade. Terry Rozier/Cody Zeller for Ivica Zubac/Lou Williams. Lou Williams/Bismack Biyombo for Jarett Allen.
LofJ
RealGM

Post#648 » by LofJ » Sun Jan 3, 2021 2:19 pm

Kukoc-Lauri wrote:I am big advocatte for this win/win trade. Terry Rozier/Cody Zeller for Ivica Zubac/Lou Williams. Lou Williams/Bismack Biyombo for Jarett Allen.

I'd 100 percent go for that trade with the Clippers. I'd miss Rozier, but we badly need a big with size that has more of a balanced game than Biyombo. I'd even throw in Richards if the Clippers were willing to include one of their future 2nds. Kupchak also drafted Zubac so I'm sure he likes him.

On the other trade it would take more than that to get Allen, if he is a target it makes more sense to try to acquire him via free agency.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#649 » by JMAC3 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 4:42 pm

For me the biggest need is just guys who can put the ball in the hoop. Playing Martin twins, mcdaniels, Biz, and right now Graham- that’s just too many guys who aren’t scorers.

We need a guy off the bench that teams can’t leave open. A guy that when he is on the court and gets an open look it feels like he is making it every time. A guy who can shoot ten threes in a game and you are mad he didn’t shoot more.

Not saying it has to be one of these guys but someone like Bertans, Ellington, Terrence Ross etc...
Big Board
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Post#650 » by Liver_Pooty » Sun Jan 3, 2021 6:01 pm

I'm all for keeping Rozier. 25 year old combo guards who average 23 a game on 50% shooting is a lot to give up.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#651 » by JMAC3 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 6:11 pm

Rozier is our only guy who can score consistently right now... not sure dealing him helps anyone.
Big Board
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#652 » by JMAC3 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 7:54 pm

Just looking around the league at teams with excess bigs or lack of guards, or teams who may be willing to change their core lineups up and there is not a ton of great trade options.

I know Myles Turner gets brought up a ton, but I just do not see Pacers being enticed to deal him. Basically now they really only use Turner at Center and Sabonis slides over to Center when Turner is out. So if they deal Turner, they would have no frontcourt depth at all.... they would be starting Goga and Sabonis with no backups. Also, they are winning so do not see a major reason for them to change things up.

The Bulls seem to be a team with some depth in frontcourt, but not so much in backcourt. Wonder if they would be interested in dealing Gafford, Carter or Markkanen. Packages would vary depending on player, but I assume it would be built around either Monk or Graham. After White and Lavine their depth is pretty shaky, but not sure how motivated they would be.

Pistons have some shooting I would not mind going after and also they have a good amount of bigs. Ellington and Svi are both good shooters and we need good shooters, I would deal McDaniels for either if they liked him.

Would Heat trade Achiuwa for Devonte Graham? I am not sure I would even make this deal and have to play against Graham in our division. Do they think Kendrick Nunn is the longterm answer at Point?

Doubt Clippers trade Zubac, that would mean Ibaka is their Center.
Big Board
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#653 » by JMAC3 » Mon Jan 4, 2021 12:53 am

Either way, when Zeller comes back and our 2nd unit will be

Graham or Ball- Martin Twin 1-Martin 2 or McDaniels- Bridges and Biz. That is not nearly enough shooting.

We need to trade for 1 or maybe 2 knockdown shooters.

Bryn Forbes was a steal for Bucks, dude can shoot it and signed for 2.5 million.
Big Board
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,171

Post#654 » by SWedd523 » Mon Jan 4, 2021 3:51 am

Luckily it actually is pretty easy to find a Joe Schmo wing who can shoot well enough on the cheap
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#655 » by DY_nasty » Mon Jan 4, 2021 5:01 am

#freebagley
LofJ
RealGM

Post#656 » by LofJ » Tue Jan 5, 2021 1:40 pm

DY_nasty wrote:#freebagley

McDaniels and a lottery protected 2023 1st.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#657 » by JMAC3 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 2:14 pm

DY_nasty wrote:#freebagley

Small sample size, but the reason Bagley isn't playing much is because he has been horrible.

25 mins.. 36/26/58% with 11 pts and 8 boards 0.9 assists. 7.16 PER

Biz just for comparisons...

28 mins... 56/0/50% with 9.5 pts and 7 boards and 2.9 assists. 14.26 PER

Unless Kings are giving him away, I would be a bit nervous about trading for him. Also, he is a PF not a Center.
Big Board
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#658 » by JMAC3 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 3:38 pm

Was messing around with trades this morning trying to find a mutually beneficial deal for both parties with Nets. Here is what I came up with.

Brooklyn in: Devonte Graham and Cody Zeller

Charlotte in: Jarrett Allen and Taurean Prince

Here is why it makes sense for Brooklyn: They lost Dinwiddie to an ACL tear for the year leaving LeVert as their Pseudo-Backup PG. Dinwiddie will be able to walk after this year most likely declining his player option for 12 million. Enter in Graham who is really cheap and would give them a spark off the bench at guard for pennies on the dollar. His 2 million dollar cap hold this summer would really help a team like Nets who have no cap space and they could go over cap to resign him. They also dump 13 million owed to Prince next year, he is not worth that much. They lose Allen, but most likely they would lose him this summer anyways unless they got rid of LeVert or Harris. Zeller is expiring which helps with their cap situation and he provides decent backup depth behind Jordan for this year.

Here is why for Hornets: Obviously Allen is an upgrade at Center. Enough said. but seriously, we have to eat Prince contract and Allen has a cap hold of 9 Million which mean Hornets could go over the cap to match an offer he would receive in FA. We lose the right to bring Devonte Graham back on his cheap bird rights and we lose cap space by switching Zeller for the bad contract of Prince (he might be a solid rotation guy for us as 3D guy though even though he is overpaid). Overall it would probably eliminate us from having any usable cap space next summer other than resigning Allen, including not bringing back Monk.

More of a long-term move for Brooklyn.

Also, Allen is looking for Clint Capela type money according to Bobby Marks (5/90 18 million annually).
Big Board
Rays Pompadour
Senior
And1: 418

Post#659 » by Rays Pompadour » Tue Jan 5, 2021 4:27 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Was messing around with trades this morning trying to find a mutually beneficial deal for both parties with Nets. Here is what I came up with.

Here is why it makes sense for Brooklyn: They lost Dinwiddie to an ACL tear for the year leaving LeVert as their Pseudo-Backup PG. Dinwiddie will be able to walk after this year most likely declining his player option for 12 million. Enter in Graham who is really cheap and would give them a spark off the bench at guard for pennies on the dollar. His 2 million dollar cap hold this summer would really help a team like Nets who have no cap space and they could go over cap to resign him. They also dump 13 million owed to Prince next year, he is not worth that much. They lose Allen, but most likely they would lose him this summer anyways unless they got rid of LeVert or Harris. Zeller is expiring which helps with their cap situation and he provides decent backup depth behind Jordan for this year.

Here is why for Hornets: Obviously Allen is an upgrade at Center. Enough said. but seriously, we have to eat Prince contract and Allen has a cap hold of 9 Million which mean Hornets could go over the cap to match an offer he would receive in FA. We lose the right to bring Devonte Graham back on his cheap bird rights and we lose cap space by switching Zeller for the bad contract of Prince (he might be a solid rotation guy for us as 3D guy though even though he is overpaid). Overall it would probably eliminate us from having any usable cap space next summer other than resigning Allen, including not bringing back Monk.

Also, Allen is looking for Clint Capela type money according to Bobby Marks (5/90 18 million annually).

Intriguing trade idea. I like your imagination.

Not sure it moves the needle for me, though, mainly due to the negative cap impact. I like Allen, but favor trading for a contract with more control or singing a free agent outright. Trading for a player that's about to get PAID is a higher risk scenario and places the Hornets in the Batum conundrum again. Might be a year too early to do this deal.
James Gatz
Veteran
And1: 693

Post#660 » by James Gatz » Tue Jan 5, 2021 4:55 pm

Rays Pompadour wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:Was messing around with trades this morning trying to find a mutually beneficial deal for both parties with Nets. Here is what I came up with.

Intriguing trade idea. I like your imagination.

Not sure it moves the needle for me, though, mainly due to the negative cap impact. I like Allen, but favor trading for a contract with more control or singing a free agent outright. Trading for a player that's about to get PAID is a higher risk scenario and places the Hornets in the Batum conundrum again. Might be a year too early to do this deal.

Difference is that Allen is a RFA. We'd certainly have to match anything that gets thrown out at him, but we have more control this way. My only worry would be us betting against ourselves and giving him 17+ mil a year. Something like 4/60 would be a solid deal.

Overall, I think this deal is interesting and potentially the right direction to go. I still think Graham will rebound but this is probably fair value for him.

Return to Charlotte Hornets