ImageImage

Barely Legal: The Vernon Carey Jr Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Re: Barely Legal: The Vernon Carey Jr Thread 

Post#141 » by LofJ » Mon Feb 8, 2021 3:28 pm

Watching Carey play at Duke a skill he has that stands out for a big is his ability to put the ball on the floor and attack off the dribble. He isn't a back to the basket dinosaur. It's easy to envision him being a good offensive player. It's his defense that will make or break him.
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 867

Post#142 » by Chapelchilla » Mon Feb 8, 2021 4:12 pm

BigSlam wrote:From Jay Hernandez:

DS: You mentioned that Ray and Vernon Carey are in film sessions working together. Vernon is an assignee and was a one-and-done player with Duke. In the limited amount of time that you two have been together, how he’s grown in terms of his skill set, developing his basketball IQ, and knowing where to be on the court?

JH: I think he’s come a very long way in terms of knowing the system, knowing the timing of things is really important. We’re going to put the ball in his hands a lot on the perimeter and in the post to be a playmaker. I think he’s a naturally skilled scorer, and so we’re also going to try to find ways to also utilize him as a passer, whether it’s out of the post, him flashing to the ball, or him being able to handle the ball like Cody Zeller with working the ball on top, dribble hand-offs and keepers, and things of that nature.

Also, when he’s in the pocket and the ball comes to him, what are his reads and decisions. A lot of that stuff sounds easier than it is. When it’s live speed, and you have talented players out there, it’s a split-second decision, so I think his reads and his mind is working a lot faster.

In terms of style, he’s a guy that can really shoot the ball, so we’re trying to find balance for him where he’s rolling hard to the rim and putting pressure on the rim. We also want him to get to the line a lot more, so it’s a style thing as well with Vern. I think he’s starting to pick that up. He’s so strong. Has great touch.

So we’re trying to find that balance for him where he’s using that physicality, really sealing guys, running the floor, putting pressure on the rim. If he does that, that would open up driving lanes for our guys, it’s going to open up three-point shots. I think he’s starting to understand that concept, and when he fully gets immersed in games and he’s doing it consistently, then that’s where you can really see him make that big leap.

Good article. Sounds promising and like patience is the key here.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#143 » by BigSlam » Mon Feb 8, 2021 4:26 pm

I read it as they think he’s a bit of a black hole and are working with him on how to flip that and to be more of a facilitator.

But I might be looking into it too much.
B B M F 'ers
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,054

Post#144 » by Liver_Pooty » Mon Feb 8, 2021 7:01 pm

Need to put his strong ass up against those huge centers we occasionally go up against. He might foul out in 5 minutes but can't be any worse then what we've witnessed
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#145 » by DY_nasty » Mon Feb 8, 2021 8:40 pm

I actually.... don't like that approach as much as others I guess?

Last thing you need is the kid overthinking everything instead of getting confident at what he's already good at. I'd normally be all about that, but considering how some of our other young guys play (minus LaMelo who missed camp and the overthinking of the staff is the primary thing holding him back) I'm kinda ehhh on this.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#146 » by BigSlam » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:41 am

Read on Twitter
B B M F 'ers
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#147 » by BigSlam » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:53 pm

Go to work big guy!!

Read on Twitter
B B M F 'ers
Roll Tide 09
Bench Warmer
And1: 439

Post#148 » by Roll Tide 09 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:01 am

Well, we had our first game with adequate time for Vernon on the NBA level...I am impressed, but not surprised. It’s obviously just one game, but I’m pretty sure the ceiling is high.
IG: @theonlylogicalthinker
IG: @arisethecompany

Twitter: @arisethecompany

MPM
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#149 » by MPM » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:01 am

Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#150 » by Liver_Pooty » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:13 am

Will never be a defensive anchor, but the skill level for a big like that, that just turned 20 a month and a half ago is crazy.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,413

Post#151 » by Hornet Mania » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:31 pm

The thing that really works in Vern's favor right now is that he fills a hole where we are lacking when all our consistent scoring options except Terry are out. Vern is clearly always looking to get buckets, he's not afraid to put up a lot of shots and that's exactly what we needed right now.

It will be interesting to see how he fits with Melo/Gordo/Graham/Monk/PJ all back but for the time being I'd say keep giving him plenty of run because we need guys who are unapologetic about taking shots at this particular moment. Maybe he flops with more time, maybe he's just a no-defense chucker, we'll see, but right now aside from Terry and sometimes Miles everyone else is scared to shoot or shouldn't be shooting anyway.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,173

Post#152 » by SWedd523 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:42 pm

I say we let him play a few games before coming to conclusions
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#153 » by DY_nasty » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:58 pm

SWedd523 wrote:I say we let him play a few games before coming to conclusions

meh. if we're cooked and tanking, he needs to play. if we're trying to make the playoff still, he needs to play.

don't even care if he hits more than 3 FGs in a single night for the rest of the season or what he projects to be at all.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,525

Post#154 » by Bassman » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:38 pm

Vern needs minutes and experience to move forward. Biz doesn’t bring scoring and Cody is mediocre (but better than Biz). I say get him going offensively within the mix, then push him to defend.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
SWedd523
RealGM

Post#155 » by SWedd523 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:13 pm

DY_nasty wrote:

meh. if we're cooked and tanking, he needs to play. if we're trying to make the playoff still, he needs to play.

don't even care if he hits more than 3 FGs in a single night for the rest of the season or what he projects to be at all.

I literally said he needs to play.

You lost your mind trying to argue with everyone bro :lol:
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#156 » by DY_nasty » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:15 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:

I literally said he needs to play.

You lost your mind trying to argue with everyone bro :lol:
did i disagree with you in this post or is this you trying not to feel left out? lol

every once in a while yal really jump at the chance to show that bobcats ptsd talking about 'lets wait to draw conclusions'. like that's how to frame this at all.
SWedd523
RealGM

Post#157 » by SWedd523 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:25 am

Ironic considering that coin also includes the "so thirsty that one single game is enough to crown a guy the future of the position" face

You better keep this love dome running when/if he regresses way back to his mean
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#158 » by DY_nasty » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:22 am

SWedd523 wrote:Ironic considering that coin also includes the "so thirsty that one single game is enough to crown a guy the future of the position" face

You better keep this love dome running when/if he regresses way back to his mean

so you just miss me :lol:
SWedd523
RealGM

Post#159 » by SWedd523 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:16 am

Of course I do

I'm just checking in to say "daddy chill"
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#160 » by Liver_Pooty » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:14 am

SWedd523 wrote:Ironic considering that coin also includes the "so thirsty that one single game is enough to crown a guy the future of the position" face

You've been negative as hell on this board for weeks now. Take a chill pill, it'll be okay.

Return to Charlotte Hornets