ImageImage

Big Nick Energy: The Nick Richards Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

SpearNMgicHelmt
Senior
And1: 160

Re: Welcome to Charlotte: Nick Richards 

Post#61 » by SpearNMgicHelmt » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:20 am

Richards has officially won me over. I was annoyed when he didn't get back in the game tonight.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,507

Post#62 » by GoBobs » Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:53 am

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bc/Nick_Richards.jpg

anybody else feel like Nick Richards looks like he is straight from a key and peele sketch when he looks slightly confused
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#63 » by euphorbus » Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:42 am

Richards is currently leading the team with a stellar .661 field goal percentage in 27 games. Next is Mason Plumlee with .581. He is also shooting .850 from the line, amazing for a big man. Maybe LaMelo and Terry should pass him the ball more.
CuseMayne
Sixth Man
And1: 1,372

Post#64 » by CuseMayne » Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:07 am

euphorbus wrote:Richards is currently leading the team with a stellar .661 field goal percentage in 27 games. Next is Mason Plumlee with .581. He is also shooting .850 from the line, amazing for a big man. Maybe LaMelo and Terry should pass him the ball more.

Or maybe JB should play him more instead of these useless 2-5 minute spurts that Richards is forced to play, knowing if he makes a mistake he's getting pulled. Like...how can anyone say Plumlee is better than him right now???
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,525

Post#65 » by Bassman » Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:55 pm

CuseMayne wrote:
euphorbus wrote:Richards is currently leading the team with a stellar .661 field goal percentage in 27 games. Next is Mason Plumlee with .581. He is also shooting .850 from the line, amazing for a big man. Maybe LaMelo and Terry should pass him the ball more.

Or maybe JB should play him more instead of these useless 2-5 minute spurts that Richards is forced to play, knowing if he makes a mistake he's getting pulled. Like...how can anyone say Plumlee is better than him right now???

Plumlee was a huge mistake, miscalculation, or judgement by Mitch. We really don’t know if they were having any serious discussions on the available free agents this past off-season. Several good young centers were out there, and we had enough money to bid/win. Did they not want to come here? Did we balk? My guess is we went in cheap on one or two targets, hoping one would bite. Mitch strikes me as someone who is scared to put the chips onto the table. He went in soft to Bridges team and they rightly said “no thanks we’ll get paid in a year”. Boy did that backfire. The one or two FA center targets within our sights were not PROVEN yet, so Mitch goes in light (if at all). NADA. So he uses plan B for an aging limited player whose former team was more than glad to deal. As a luxury backup on a contending team? Sure. As the starting primary center on a team trying to grow, with our style? Ugh.

Give Richards playing time. Let him learn, hone his skills, see what’s needed to excel. Cannot be worse than Plums.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#66 » by Snidely FC » Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:31 pm

Bassman wrote:
CuseMayne wrote:

Plumlee was a huge mistake, miscalculation, or judgement by Mitch. We really don’t know if they were having any serious discussions on the available free agents this past off-season. Several good young centers were out there, and we had enough money to bid/win. Did they not want to come here? Did we balk? My guess is we went in cheap on one or two targets, hoping one would bite. Mitch strikes me as someone who is scared to put the chips onto the table. He went in soft to Bridges team and they rightly said “no thanks we’ll get paid in a year”. Boy did that backfire. The one or two FA center targets within our sights were not PROVEN yet, so Mitch goes in light (if at all). NADA. So he uses plan B for an aging limited player whose former team was more than glad to deal. As a luxury backup on a contending team? Sure. As the starting primary center on a team trying to grow, with our style? Ugh.

Give Richards playing time. Let him learn, hone his skills, see what’s needed to excel. Cannot be worse than Plums.

One qualifier on Plumlee is that he came with draft rights to JT Thor attached, and all CHA gave up were the rights to someone named Balsa Somethin-or-other. I think in a few years as Thor burgeons many of us are going to be looking at the Plumlee trade as a steal.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,540

Post#67 » by HornetJail » Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:59 pm

yeah the Thor part of that trade is the only reason I'm not way more mad about that move. Thor looks pretty nice but we pretty much took ourselves out of free agency to do that, and with it, any realistic chance of acquiring a starting center like Holmes without trading what few trade assets we have.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#68 » by Snidely FC » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:09 pm

Not sure how many caught this but Collins was saying the other night that Nick Richards went to the same high school as Michael Kidd Gilchrist ... and the same college ... and was drafted by the Hornets ... and chose to wear #14. Coincidence? Muy extraño
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,131

Post#69 » by JDR720 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:20 pm

Read on Twitter
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#70 » by MasterIchiro » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:28 pm

Snidely FC wrote:Not sure how many caught this but Collins was saying the other night that Nick Richards went to the same high school as Michael Kidd Gilchrist ... and the same college ... and was drafted by the Hornets ... and chose to wear #14. Coincidence? Muy extraño

Then he's doomed. We're all doomed. Arrest Trump!
It has been written...
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,624

Post#71 » by fatlever » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:34 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=euI3AoaF_L-h8Zoe5b3lWg&s=19

This is perfect description of Nick... looks the part, but always a step behind on rotations, blocks, rebounds, positioning etc...

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM Forums mobile app
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#72 » by MasterIchiro » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:39 pm

Plumlee is two steps too slow at protecting the rim. He's no detterent. That's why we coveted Mark Williams.
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#73 » by MasterIchiro » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:45 pm

Bassman wrote:
CuseMayne wrote:

I doubt Mitch is scared of ****. The sticker price of Turner and Poeltl will fall by the deadline. They become half season rentals. Then we can pay less, trial them, gage progress of Nick, Mark and Kai, then make a sharper investment. Those options remain on the table, and we have no way of knowing whether Kupchak has made legwork with those GM's. We know the Spurs priced Poeltl pretty high. And it's possible Kai was still a sticking point on draft night. Spurs perhaps made a late push to pry Kai. Kai is pure gold in my opinion. Once he fills out and realizes he's a center and brings his developed PF skills to the C position, he will be a monster. The dude is relentless and his athleticism is elite.
It has been written...
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,833

Post#74 » by Diop » Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:16 am

fatlever wrote:
Read on Twitter
?t=euI3AoaF_L-h8Zoe5b3lWg&s=19

This is perfect description of Nick... looks the part, but always a step behind on rotations, blocks, rebounds, positioning etc...

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM Forums mobile app

We can only wish his brain has finally caught up and he’s up to speed now. Or that he’s been bitten by a radioactive spider to give him powers
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,131

Post#75 » by JDR720 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:26 pm

Read on Twitter
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Post#76 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:31 pm

JDR720 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Fully expected this to be him getting in trouble.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,624

Post#77 » by fatlever » Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:44 pm

big nick energy lol. kudos to whoever 1st came up with that nickname
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,174

Post#78 » by Rich4114 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:54 pm

Big Nick Energy is great, that should be the new thread title.

Btw I felt Nick showed us a glimpse of this last season when he got playing time during that stretch where everyone was out due to Covid but then went back to DNP-Coaches decision once Plumlee was back despite our glaring weakness at C. That’s one of the things that annoyed me a lot about JB last season. It’s like he didn’t believe it was real or sustainable and Nick never got the chance to prove it. He may have had this in him last season but we never got to see.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,240

Post#79 » by amcoolio » Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:43 pm

He's just got to stay consistent. Last night was the first time that I've watched where he was a step quicker than the guys on the other side. That was always my problem with him, he was slow footed on defense which led to easy buckets. He also finally went up strong and dunked that **** instead of off-balance layups when under the basket. Great first game
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Re: Big Nick Energy: The Nick Richards Thread 

Post#80 » by UNCNYC » Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:23 pm

I love what I seen from him but I do not have him as our franchise center, at least not yet. Mainly due to most of his points coming from being at the right place right time as opposed to having an offensive repertoire. Either way he is a great asset and takes away from us not choosing SIMS who I think brings a similar skill set as Nick. Nice might actually be a lil better than SIMS.
UPDATED 2-18-2024

These are my top five for who I want with pick #1 in order

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman

Return to Charlotte Hornets