ImageImage

Big Nick Energy: The Nick Richards Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

CuseMayne
Sixth Man
And1: 1,372

Re: Big Nick Energy: The Nick Richards Thread 

Post#81 » by CuseMayne » Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:05 pm

UNCNYC wrote:I love what I seen from him but I do not have him as our franchise center, at least not yet. Mainly due to most of his points coming from being at the right place right time as opposed to having an offensive repertoire. Either way he is a great asset and takes away from us not choosing SIMS who I think brings a similar skill set as Nick. Nice might actually be a lil better than SIMS.

Nick Richards can shoot too, though.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,833

Post#82 » by Diop » Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:32 am

UNCNYC wrote:I love what I seen from him but I do not have him as our franchise center, at least not yet. Mainly due to most of his points coming from being at the right place right time as opposed to having an offensive repertoire. Either way he is a great asset and takes away from us not choosing SIMS who I think brings a similar skill set as Nick. Nice might actually be a lil better than SIMS.

I wanted Sims instead of Kai, difference being that sims went 58 and would have cost us nothing to get.
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Post#83 » by wilson115 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:56 pm

Some well-deserved attention now.

To this point, Richards is putting up 18.1 points and 12.0 rebounds per 36 minutes.

Richards’ screening and handoff abilities are helping his teammates too. Among two-man combinations that the Hornets employ (min. 100 minutes), he and Terry Rozier lead the pack with a plus-20.4 Net Rating. Next is teaming up with a rejuvenated Dennis Smith Jr. (15.2), and then, the Richards-Kelly Oubre Jr. duo (7.2). There’s also a great rapport with LaMelo Ball, though they’ve only played three games together this year to this point.

"I think right now he's the 35th-best screener in the league, which is important to me," Clifford said on Friday. "I think for our team, when we get everybody back, we have three guys who have the potential to be really good pick-and-roll players, and you need a good screener. And he's a good screener and he's getting better. He's improving that way. His screening on the ball and off the ball.

https://www.basketballnews.com/stories/nba-feature-interview-nick-richards-charlotte-hornets-bench-mason-plumlee-steve-clifford-jamaica-basketball-dennis-smith-jr-kelly-oubre-lamelo-ball
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#84 » by Diop » Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:18 am

how much is he going to cost? at least $15 mill a year
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Post#85 » by Braggins » Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:49 am

I feel like his contract value will be suppressed somewhat due to being a 2nd round pick who doesn't have any star potential and will only have one season of good play to bank on, similar to the Martin twins. Either way, I think they really need to get off Roziers contract to open up room to resign him, DSJ, and potentially McDaniels, without risking a cap crunch. I feel like the combination of those three is more valuable and contributes more to winning than Rozier probably will going forward and the total salary cost might not be that much different.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Post#86 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:59 am

Diop wrote:how much is he going to cost? at least $15 mill a year

Nic Claxton got 2 years 17 million. If we aren't willing to pay PJ 15 million there's no way we pay nick that
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#87 » by Diop » Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:07 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:

Nic Claxton got 2 years 17 million. If we aren't willing to pay PJ 15 million there's no way we pay nick that

15 is what Mitch Robinson got, Wendell carter got 12.5.

Someone will pay him. He’s too good a plug n play centre getting a double/double without plays run for him, blocking shoots, good free throw shooter.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#88 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:20 am

Diop wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:

Someone will pay him. He’s too good a plug n play centre getting a double/double without plays run for him, blocking shoots, good free throw shooter.

Both have been much better players than Nick for much longer stretches. He'll get paid but it won't be 15 million.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,247

Post#89 » by luciano-davidwesley » Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:54 am

$30 million over 3 years feels about right.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#90 » by Diop » Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:16 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:
Diop wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:

Both have been much better players than Nick for much longer stretches. He'll get paid but it won't be 15 million.

i hope you're right and I'm just being negative, who knows what the market will do in the offseason, there are plenty of other UFA centres as well thankfully.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#91 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:37 am

Diop wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:
Diop wrote:15 is what Mitch Robinson got, Wendell carter got 12.5.

i hope you're right and I'm just being negative, who knows what the market will do in the offseason, there are plenty of other UFA centres as well thankfully.

I think 10 to 12 will do the trick. Hope so, anyway.
Braggins
RealGM

Post#92 » by Braggins » Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:40 am

luciano-davidwesley wrote:$30 million over 3 years feels about right.

Assuming current trends continue, I would like to see them lock up DSJ, Richards, and McDaniels, for 2-3 years at 30 million or less total per year. Ideal would be 8(Nick) + 8(DSJ) + 6(McD), but I'm not necessarily expecting everyone to get the most reasonable contract, so something like a 12/10/8 split might still be reasonable.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,247

Post#93 » by luciano-davidwesley » Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:04 am

I'm guessing a team without capspace would throw the MLE at Nick, so maybe a little above the MLE will be required.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,624

Post#94 » by fatlever » Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:00 pm

JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#95 » by JMAC3 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:16 pm

2/24 with a 3rd year team option would be my offer. He hasn't really proved he is a starting center so I wouldn't offer him too many years. Also, this gives us a nice bridge if Mark Williams establishes himself in the next year or 2 to move forward without another Plumlee type of deal on a backup center.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,407

Post#96 » by Hornet Mania » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:03 pm

fatlever wrote:https://www.atthehive.com/2022/11/30/23485590/charlotte-hornets-to-make-a-change-at-the-center-position-mason-plumlee-nick-richards

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM Forums mobile app

Preach.

Plumdog is a Cliff favorite though, so I doubt it will happen.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#97 » by JMAC3 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:15 pm

Pretty obvious Hornets are tanking right now, playing Richards would probably mean more wins which right now isn't the best for us.

I don't doubt Richards will start 30 games this year, just think we will take our time.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#98 » by fatlever » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:18 pm

All I am really asking for is for Clifford to be flexible enough that if the team is on a big run in the 4th quarter with Nick Richards in the lineup to just leave him in and let him finish the game. It's not written in Mason's contract that he must reenter every single game at the 6 Minute Mark of the fourth quarter.

Closing lineups should be based on who is playing well, matchups, and not a predetermined set of five players.

This logic applies to all players, not just Nick and Mason.

It's this kind of inflexibility that frustrates me so much with clifford. It's like he sets his lineups and sub patterns in the NBA 2K simulator and presses the Go Button.

It is also not written in stone that one of Nick or Mason must be in the game for All 48 minutes. There was some discussion on Twitter yesterday about the best playing partner for Kai Jones and someone made a good case that he would fit well next to PJ, as it allows Kai to operate more as the screen Setter and roll man, with PJ providing spacing. PJ is versatile enough to defend either the four or five position depending on matchups.

fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#99 » by fatlever » Thu Dec 8, 2022 3:59 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=tgUAldBNhQsAmi3G0Ed3UA&s=19

Nick's inability to grab defensive boards will be his downfall with Cliff. Of course. Putting Def boards on one player isn't fair. It's a team effort needed.

Braggins
RealGM

Post#100 » by Braggins » Thu Dec 8, 2022 5:39 pm

Clifford is a parody of himself.

Return to Charlotte Hornets