ImageImage

2021 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Soul Rebel
Senior
And1: 372

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#201 » by Soul Rebel » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:45 pm

Wait, what happened to the two separate threads? I thought UNCNYC did a good thing starting that other one so that all of his prospects and YT vids would be more contained.
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Post#202 » by UNCNYC » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:07 am

Delano Banton 6'9 POINT GUARD UNREAL

UPDATED 2-18-2024

These are my top five for who I want with pick #1 in order

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#203 » by MasterIchiro » Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:19 pm

How can you not love Evan Mobley for the Hornets? He has Anthony Davis upside. His playmaking looks great for a center and he has an eye for the basket. He's also super quick on his feet and a leaper.

It has been written...
James Gatz
Veteran
And1: 693

Post#204 » by James Gatz » Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:50 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:How can you not love Evan Mobley for the Hornets? He has Anthony Davis upside. His playmaking looks great for a center and he has an eye for the basket. He's also super quick on his feet and a leaper.

Davis had a much better frame. No way Mobley is able to put on same amount of weight.

Still, I'd love him next to Lamelo. He's fun to watch and outside of Cade looks like the best guy in the class. Him being a position of need is a cherry on top. Sadly he likely won't be available where we are picking.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#205 » by MasterIchiro » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:19 pm

Yes with his court vision, creativity and playmaking Mobley is the perfect big to play off LaMelo and vice versa. That duo would give teams fits. Imagine LaMelo playing with a big who can play above the rim and has quickness to push the pace in transition. The 1-5 combination of two unicorns has the makings of a really solid, unique foundation for a rebuild. You can just rotate in players at the other positions and pretty much do no wrong adding the meat to the LaMelo - Mobley sandwich. Mobley will go #2 behind Cade in this draft. He's a top 3 talent. He's exceptionally skilled and well rounded to the point where adding bulk won't rob him of the athleticism he needs to dominate. It just won't impede any aspect of his game as he fills out. Same goes for LaMelo. The bigger he gets the more he becomes a handful.
It has been written...
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,219

Post#206 » by amcoolio » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:56 pm

Any of the top 3 will be great for us. And 4-10 are very good consolation prizes.

No doubt Mobley gets me excited. He's probably a lock for #2 overall with how he's played so far, but Green could crack the top 2 if he starts shooting well.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,509

Post#207 » by LofJ » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:21 pm

It's lame that we're still dealing with the fallout of Cho's trade for Hernangomez. The Knicks are going to get another high 2nd from us. That trade was awful.

Thankfully, it hasn't been a killer because Kupchak took on salary to restock our decimated portfolio of future 2nd round picks, but this year the ones we have will be late in the draft. Mitch can probably trade up into the late 30s or early 40s range, but he likely won't be able to secure an early 2nd unfortunately.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,147

Post#208 » by JMAC3 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:33 pm

LofJ wrote:It's lame that we're stealing dealing with the fallout of Cho's trade for Hernangomez. The Knicks are going to get another high 2nd from us. That trade was awful.

Thankfully, it hasn't been a killer because Kupchak took on salary to restock our decimated portfolio of future 2nd round picks, but this year the ones we have will be late in the draft. Mitch can probably trade up into the late 30s or early 40s range, but he likely won't be able to secure an early 2nd unfortunately.

"February 7, 2018: Traded by the New York Knicks to the Charlotte Hornets for Johnny O'Bryant, a 2020 2nd round draft pick (Saben Lee was later selected) and a 2021 2nd round draft pick."

This was after he made All Rookie First team in 2017. I think it was worth the gamble, but ultimately it did not pay off. In all honesty even though he did not work out, he was probably better than most second round picks we could of picked, so he was worth at least 1 of those picks, but not the other. Also, because we traded the picks several years in advance, it gave the front office time to deal for other second rounders to replace those and I have not really noticed them being gone.

We have Nets and Clippers second round picks in this upcoming draft, should not be too hard to package those together to move up for a top 40 pick.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#209 » by JMAC3 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:16 pm

search.php?author_id=250866&sr=posts

Is this a new username for UNCNYC? It has to be right?

LOL
Big Board
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,634

Post#210 » by yosemiteben » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:40 pm

JMAC3 wrote:search.php?author_id=250866&sr=posts

Is this a new username for UNCNYC? It has to be right?

LOL

Definitely looks like it. Think I made him mad when I said he should dial back the posting and also post over at the draft forum. This is a new account though, he hasn't changed his name or posted under his old one since mid-December.
Soul Rebel
Senior
And1: 372

Post#211 » by Soul Rebel » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:52 pm

After seeing how we've recently got our footing after 10 games, odds are we are looking like a team that will not be selecting in the top-8.

So who are some guys late-lottery - 20ish pick that could be good fits? Are UNC fans in or out on the big man - Sharpe? Do we even draft another center after this past year? I also like Keyonte Johnson, but still kinda early on to say for him.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#212 » by BigSlam » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:49 pm

Soul Rebel wrote:After seeing how we've recently got our footing after 10 games, odds are we are looking like a team that will not be selecting in the top-8.

So who are some guys late-lottery - 20ish pick that could be good fits? Are UNC fans in or out on the big man - Sharpe? Do we even draft another center after this past year? I also like Keyonte Johnson, but still kinda early on to say for him.

Moses Moody for a SG or Kai Jones as a big?
B B M F 'ers
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#213 » by JMAC3 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:21 pm

Charles Bassey is a guy who had a bunch of hype after heading into his freshman season but decided to come back for his sophomore year and got hurt. He is now a junior at Western Kentucky after being a top 10 recruit heading into college.

He was also the MVP at basketball without borders in 2018 so he has a really high basketball pedigree.

Big Board
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#214 » by JMAC3 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:31 pm

Also, another guy to watch is Trayce Jackson-Davis. Sophomore from Indiana. Son of Dale Davis.

Really good post scorer, rebounder and improved shot blocker. Hope he stays at IU selfishly, but he could be a steal later in draft.
Big Board
LofJ
RealGM

Post#215 » by LofJ » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:56 pm

BigSlam wrote:
Soul Rebel wrote:After seeing how we've recently got our footing after 10 games, odds are we are looking like a team that will not be selecting in the top-8.

if we keep playing this well Moody will be off the board by the time we pick. Kai Jones has a better chance of being there. He looks like a modern big to me. He can protect the rim, he's mobile, and he looks like he'll be able to stretch the floor. Mitch and our scouts should be looking at him pretty hard.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#216 » by JMAC3 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:23 pm

Quick Breakdown of a few prospects this season

Jalen Suggs- Led Gonzaga to undefeated season vs a very difficult non-conference schedule. Sadly though his conference schedule is easy peazy from here on out. So much talent around him at Gonzaga, but he is still finding a way to stand out.

Evan Mobley- Awesome season so far, if season ended today wouldn't be shocked if he went #1. Efficient scoring, impacting both ends, hitting threes.

Cade Cunningham- Has shot the ball much better from deep than most expected, doesn't play with a loaded team so he has to be able to take games over. Not sure he is a point guard at next level like many have said, averaging just 3.7 assists vs 3.5 turnovers per game. not a great ratio.

Ziaire Williams- Has had some nice outings, but overall he is shooting just 35.6% from the field which is horrid. Breaks down into 38.3% from two and 31.4% from deep. Averaging just 2.8 assists and 3.3 turnovers.

Scottie Barnes- Have watched him play some, and Florida State basically runs the offense through him and he has excelled. 4.1 assists to just 2 turnovers per game. Very Very raw, but has all the physical tools. Only shooting 44% from free throw line and 26% from three so his shot needs a ton of work. Reminds me of a more athletic Kyle Anderson.

BJ Boston- Through 11 games, Kentucky is horrible and so is Boston shooting at just 35% from field. 16% from three on 3.3 attempts per game. That is 6/36 on season.... He looks like Brandon Ingram on the floor with size and skill, but something is missing other than him just being unable to shoot.

Jalen Johnson- had a great game against Coppin State, but then he was exposed against better comp. There were some suspicions on how serious his injury actually was/is. I believe he has been cleared now.

Obviously nothing new on Jalen Green, Jon Kuminga or Daishen Nix because GLeague is not running. Might be the best thing for them right now with most of these college prospects struggling.
Big Board
LofJ
RealGM

Post#217 » by LofJ » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:02 pm

Assuming we don't pick in the top half of the lottery who is the best player to pair with LaMelo in this draft?
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#218 » by BigSlam » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:18 pm

LofJ wrote:Assuming we don't pick in the top half of the lottery who is the best player to pair with LaMelo in this draft?

Literally 5 posts above:

BigSlam wrote:

B B M F 'ers
LofJ
RealGM

Post#219 » by LofJ » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:30 pm

BigSlam wrote:
LofJ wrote:Assuming we don't pick in the top half of the lottery who is the best player to pair with LaMelo in this draft?

Literally 5 posts above:

BigSlam wrote:

I'm in for both Moody and Jones. I think Sharpe is more of a late 1st, early 2nd guy so I wouldn't pick him. Other players I like are Scottie Lewis and BJ Boston if he's there.

I think Lewis can be one of the better 3 and D players in the NBA, he has a high floor. And Boston is worth gambling on because Kentucky is a **** this year. I think he'll look a lot better on a team with a good point guard (i.e. us).
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,145

Post#220 » by Braggins » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:30 pm

Of the prospects that could end up in the elite tier, I think that the best fits for this team are Mobley and Jalen Green. We'll have no chance at Mobley without extreme lottery luck. We'll likely not have a chance at Green either, but there is a chance that lack of exposure from doing the G-League program instead of NCAA in a year where the G-League barely is going to have any kind of a season could possibly cause him to fall out of the top 5.

As of now I think Green is who I'd most want them to draft. Melo projects to be a primary playmaker and tertiary scorer, Hayward is a secondary playmaker and secondary scorer, and Rozier is more of a secondary or super sixth man scorer who doesn't really help anywhere else. We don't have a primary scorer or any lockdown wing defenders and Green could potentially fill both of those needs. That would just leave the center position as a major need, but at that point we'd be approaching a situation where we were talented enough 1-4 to not need to worry as much about the 5.

Return to Charlotte Hornets