ImageImage

Hornet King: The Gordon Hayward Thread

Moderators: BigSlam, JDR720, fatlever, yosemiteben, Diop

DY_nasty
General Manager
Posts: 8,051
And1: 3,612
Joined: Apr 14, 2010

Re: Hayward to Charlotte 4yr/120 million 

Post#821 » by DY_nasty » Tue Dec 1, 2020 9:07 pm

Chapelchilla wrote:We've taken a major step in our identity... teams that win in this league are versatile, have multiple play-makers on the floor, two-way players. We have more versatility, we have length, high IQ." - JB
Sam Perley
@sam_perley
·
4h
JB says a player of
@gordonhayward
's caliber and experience will be a major benefit to the team's younger core in seeing how he practices, prepares and carries himself on a day-to-day basis
Sam Perley
@sam_perley
·
4h
also mentions the
@Hornets
have multiple playmakers with size now (Hayward, Ball, Washington, Bridges, etc); finishing at the rim should improve and increase open 3P attempts as well

These 3 quotes from Borrego are exactly what I was talking about above. We may try to be fan "experts" on here but Borrego is professional in his field. I think he is absolutely correct and the naysayers will be wondering why we aren't so terrible after all, lol. Meanwhile, the team will play exciting modern basketball....

what are these guys supposed to do? take a crap on their employer?

its the coaches job to make the best out of any situation or roster. i don't need to be an expert to say that WHG's defense was absolutely terrible and he never should see the court until he can get his hands up and move his feet at the same time. but borrego has to play the hand he's dealt with positive energy and say all the right things because its in his job description.

if the hornets cut me a check i'd tell you nic batum was the best player and person i've ever had the pleasure of watching :lol:
Hornet Mania
Head Coach
Posts: 6,150
And1: 4,558
Joined: Jul 05, 2014
Location: Dornbirn, Austria
     

Re: Hayward to Charlotte 4yr/120 million 

Post#822 » by Hornet Mania » Tue Dec 1, 2020 9:44 pm

Coaches also are working under a different timeline than fans.

It's easy for us to say we should stack up Ls this year to get Cade Cunningham, or maybe tank two years in a row to pull a full Process, but if that actually happened there's no way JB would survive it. He'd be on the street and some new guy would get to work with all the talent he helped accrue by being a good soldier and accepting the losses.
User avatar
wilson115
Junior
Posts: 256
And1: 165
Joined: Aug 21, 2020
   

Re: Hayward to Charlotte 4yr/120 million 

Post#823 » by wilson115 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 10:32 pm

Read on Twitter


Read on Twitter


Spoiler:
Read on Twitter


Read on Twitter
User avatar
SWedd523
General Manager
Posts: 9,165
And1: 1,658
Joined: Jul 07, 2009
   

Re: Hayward to Charlotte 4yr/120 million 

Post#824 » by SWedd523 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 10:34 pm

Hornet Mania wrote:Coaches also are working under a different timeline than fans.

It's easy for us to say we should stack up Ls this year to get Cade Cunningham, or maybe tank two years in a row to pull a full Process, but if that actually happened there's no way JB would survive it. He'd be on the street and some new guy would get to work with all the talent he helped accrue by being a good soldier and accepting the losses.

That's assuming the FO and coaching staff don't share a common vision. They don't operate in two separate vacuums

If the FO is dictating a tank of sorts, it's very highly unlikely they're going to scapegoat a coach unless they're simply looking for an excuse
Image
Hornet Mania
Head Coach
Posts: 6,150
And1: 4,558
Joined: Jul 05, 2014
Location: Dornbirn, Austria
     

Re: Hayward to Charlotte 4yr/120 million 

Post#825 » by Hornet Mania » Tue Dec 1, 2020 10:37 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
Hornet Mania wrote:Coaches also are working under a different timeline than fans.

It's easy for us to say we should stack up Ls this year to get Cade Cunningham, or maybe tank two years in a row to pull a full Process, but if that actually happened there's no way JB would survive it. He'd be on the street and some new guy would get to work with all the talent he helped accrue by being a good soldier and accepting the losses.

That's assuming the FO and coaching staff don't share a common vision. They don't operate in two separate vacuums

If the FO is dictating a tank of sorts, it's very highly unlikely they're going to scapegoat a coach unless they're simply looking for an excuse


Yeah, it's definitely possible. The Sixers stuck with Brett Brown through the worst of The Process because they had that understanding. That's what every smart team should do, unless the coach is just a Dunlap situation where he looks totally clueless.

It just seems like more often than not teams say 'oh yeah, we know it's a youth movement so the coach will get a lot of slack' and then they still get canned anyway. "Looking for an excuse" is a great way to put it. In those cases it just seems like GMs are trying to pass the buck after the owner realizes it feels crappy to get spanked every night and wants someone to be held accountable.
User avatar
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 46,504
And1: 4,093
Joined: Jul 01, 2005

Re: Hayward to Charlotte 4yr/120 million 

Post#826 » by BigSlam » Tue Dec 1, 2020 11:54 pm

What areas of his game does Hayward have to focus on in order to justify the contract?

Seems like there is already discussion and an awareness that he needs to take and connect on more 3’s.

What else?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BBMF'ers
User avatar
wilson115
Junior
Posts: 256
And1: 165
Joined: Aug 21, 2020
   

Re: Hayward to Charlotte 4yr/120 million 

Post#827 » by wilson115 » Wed Dec 2, 2020 12:59 am

BigSlam wrote:What areas of his game does Hayward have to focus on in order to justify the contract?

Seems like there is already discussion and an awareness that he needs to take and connect on more 3’s.

What else?

Adjusting to being the number one option on a young team. Both in the quality of defenders he gets to face and maybe assertiveness. Otherwise hard to see what needs improvement seeing the numbers.

Jan 21, 2020

The perception of him having a poor year is questionable, too. Statistically, he is among the league leaders in multiple play types. Synergy has Hayward ranking above the 80th percentile in the following play types:

Transition (98th percentile)
Half-Court clutch shots (less than 4 seconds left, 92nd percentile)
Spot-up shots (83rd percentile)
ISO scoring (97th percentile)
Points off of cuts (88th percentile)
Defending the big man in the pick-and-roll (97th percentile)
Defending dribble hand-off’s (82nd percentile)

https://www.celticsblog.com/2020/1/21/21073992/in-defense-of-gordon-hayward, https://www.celticsblog.com/2020/2/25/21151632/scapegoating-gordon-hayward-is-getting-old-los-angeles-lakers-boston-celtics

Rays Pompadour
Sophomore
Posts: 154
And1: 102
Joined: Jul 08, 2018
     

Re: Hayward to Charlotte 4yr/120 million 

Post#828 » by Rays Pompadour » Wed Dec 2, 2020 8:18 pm

Short order cookin': the Gordon Hayward thread

Do the Hornets have finishers? Who's the best corner shooter? I'd think Carey would be a big beneficiary of Hayward's vision, though Hayward will have to look for his shot first to set up some of the passes we see in the video.
User avatar
Radu_Hornets
Rookie
Posts: 1,165
And1: 293
Joined: Dec 24, 2012
Location: Belgium (Europe - Earth - Milky Way Galaxy)
Contact:
 

Re: Hayward to Charlotte 4yr/120 million 

Post#829 » by Radu_Hornets » Thu Dec 3, 2020 7:36 am

Just saw this on the Hornets Reddit Page !

Image
User avatar
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
Posts: 7,635
And1: 2,743
Joined: Jan 22, 2012
Location: Burlington, NC
       

Re: Hayward to Charlotte 4yr/120 million 

Post#830 » by BlackOutBuzz » Thu Dec 3, 2020 4:26 pm

Read on Twitter


Yeah, he's not going anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Hornets Picks by Year
2020: Ball, Carey, Richards, Riller
2021: CHA 1, BRK 2 (Howard), LAC 2 (Gilgeous-Alexander)
2022: CHA 1, CHA 2 (31-55)
2023: CHA 1, BOS 2 (Hayward)
2024: CHA 1, BOS 2 (Hayward)
2025: CHA 1, CHA 2
User avatar
KEMBAtheMETEOR
RealGM
Posts: 38,621
And1: 7,985
Joined: Feb 05, 2012
Location: The 704
   

Re: Hayward to Charlotte 4yr/120 million 

Post#831 » by KEMBAtheMETEOR » Thu Dec 3, 2020 4:36 pm

BlackOutBuzz wrote:
Read on Twitter


Yeah, he's not going anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's all I can say. This is another Batum/Harris level contract
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 4,228
And1: 272
Joined: Aug 03, 2002
Location: Gold Coast
Contact:
   

Re: Hayward to Charlotte 4yr/120 million 

Post#832 » by luciano-davidwesley » Fri Dec 4, 2020 1:41 am

It just keeps getting better
Hornet Mania
Head Coach
Posts: 6,150
And1: 4,558
Joined: Jul 05, 2014
Location: Dornbirn, Austria
     

Re: Hayward to Charlotte 4yr/120 million 

Post#833 » by Hornet Mania » Fri Dec 4, 2020 2:29 am

Wall had a trade kicker as well and it didn't stop WAS from finding a partner, but obviously it will make trading Hayward a lot more difficult.

I'm not too worried about it tbh. Hayward will either work out or he won't but Mitch has shown no ability to swing a big trade during his tenure here so it probably wasn't going to start now trade kicker or not. He has his strengths, he's a great drafter, but wheeling and dealing is not one of them.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 4,228
And1: 272
Joined: Aug 03, 2002
Location: Gold Coast
Contact:
   

Re: Hayward to Charlotte 4yr/120 million 

Post#834 » by luciano-davidwesley » Fri Dec 4, 2020 2:34 am

Hornet Mania wrote:Wall had a trade kicker as well and it didn't stop WAS from finding a partner, but obviously it will make trading Hayward a lot more difficult.

I'm not too worried about it tbh. Hayward will either work out or he won't but Mitch has shown no ability to swing a big trade during his tenure here so it probably wasn't going to start now trade kicker or not. He has his strengths, he's a great drafter, but wheeling and dealing is not one of them.

He's clearly also terrible at valuing free agents. See also Hayward, Gordon.
User avatar
James Gatz
Veteran
Posts: 2,646
And1: 613
Joined: Mar 12, 2012

Re: Hayward to Charlotte 4yr/120 million 

Post#835 » by James Gatz » Fri Dec 4, 2020 3:37 am

Hornet Mania wrote:Wall had a trade kicker as well and it didn't stop WAS from finding a partner, but obviously it will make trading Hayward a lot more difficult.

I'm not too worried about it tbh. Hayward will either work out or he won't but Mitch has shown no ability to swing a big trade during his tenure here so it probably wasn't going to start now trade kicker or not. He has his strengths, he's a great drafter, but wheeling and dealing is not one of them.


Wall had a trade kicker but he was already at the max so it didn't matter. It certainly would if we get to the point of trying to move on from Hayward. Paying him 36 mil compared to 31 on that last year matters.
KembaWalker
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,278
And1: 1,265
Joined: Dec 22, 2011
   

Re: Hayward to Charlotte 4yr/120 million 

Post#836 » by KembaWalker » Fri Dec 4, 2020 1:21 pm

luciano-davidwesley wrote:
Hornet Mania wrote:Wall had a trade kicker as well and it didn't stop WAS from finding a partner, but obviously it will make trading Hayward a lot more difficult.

I'm not too worried about it tbh. Hayward will either work out or he won't but Mitch has shown no ability to swing a big trade during his tenure here so it probably wasn't going to start now trade kicker or not. He has his strengths, he's a great drafter, but wheeling and dealing is not one of them.

He's clearly also terrible at valuing free agents. See also Hayward, Gordon.


if you only want to pay free agents at or below market value, you have to accept that we will literally never sign anyone even remotely near all star level
Image
User avatar
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 16,847
And1: 9,952
Joined: Mar 20, 2013
   

Re: Hayward to Charlotte 4yr/120 million 

Post#837 » by yosemiteben » Fri Dec 4, 2020 2:24 pm

Cody the closer

Read on Twitter
Hornet Mania
Head Coach
Posts: 6,150
And1: 4,558
Joined: Jul 05, 2014
Location: Dornbirn, Austria
     

Re: Hayward to Charlotte 4yr/120 million 

Post#838 » by Hornet Mania » Fri Dec 4, 2020 2:41 pm

Cody: Alright Gordo, let me give it to you straight. There's this place called Cookout and this drink called Sun Drop that can change your life...
LofJ
General Manager
Posts: 9,595
And1: 7,140
Joined: Mar 29, 2014
   

Re: Hayward to Charlotte 4yr/120 million 

Post#839 » by LofJ » Fri Dec 4, 2020 3:03 pm

Cookout is amazing, but living away from NC the restaurant chain I miss the most is Bojangles. The last time I flew into the Charlotte airport I made a mad dash to Bojangles. I had no extra time to make my next flight, but I didn't give a damn. I was going to eat some Bojangles biscuits and chicken regardless of the consequences (I still made my flight thankfully). My wife was pretty angry with me and didn't understand (she grew up in Louisiana), but a man has to do what a man has to do.
Hornet Mania
Head Coach
Posts: 6,150
And1: 4,558
Joined: Jul 05, 2014
Location: Dornbirn, Austria
     

Re: Hayward to Charlotte 4yr/120 million 

Post#840 » by Hornet Mania » Fri Dec 4, 2020 3:25 pm

LofJ wrote:Cookout is amazing, but living away from NC the restaurant chain I miss the most is Bojangles. The last time I flew into the Charlotte airport I made a mad dash to Bojangles. I had no extra time to make my next flight, but I didn't give a damn. I was going to eat some Bojangles biscuits and chicken regardless of the consequences (I still made my flight thankfully). My wife was pretty angry with me and didn't understand (she grew up in Louisiana), but a man has to do what a man has to do.


No doubt, Bojangles is a must whenever I come to visit. My wife (who is Austrian) doesn't care for Cookout or Sun Drop at all but she's told me several times since the pandemic that the most disappointing part about not going to the US this year was that she didn't get to eat Bojangles chicken with honey mustard sauce like usual.

Return to Charlotte Hornets