Fool Me Twice: The Gordon Hayward Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,159

Re: The Hornet King: The Gordon Hayward Thread 

Post#961 » by Rich4114 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 4:06 pm

BigSlam wrote:
Rich4114 wrote:I’m thinking it’s gotta be Miles and PJ who step up. Those guys have the physical abilities to do it.

You’re kidding yourself.

Those two aren’t natural scorers like Gordo is or can create their own offence like Gordo does.

It’s really comes down to Terry and Tae carrying us this next month.

Oh I was saying this assuming we’d get top of their game Terry and Tae. They can’t do it alone though.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,613

Post#962 » by fatlever » Sun May 9, 2021 5:49 pm

Is this MF just gonna low key miss the rest of the season? 2 months with a sprained ankle and still no indication he's anywhere close to returning

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
CuseMayne
Sixth Man
And1: 1,372

Post#963 » by CuseMayne » Sun May 9, 2021 6:10 pm

fatlever wrote:Is this MF just gonna low key miss the rest of the season? 2 months with a sprained ankle and still no indication he's anywhere close to returning

He went down on 4/2 against Indiana and I remember them saying it would be about 4 weeks. I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't play again this season.

Also it's a sprained foot, which I'd assume is more serious than a sprained ankle. He just got out of a walking boot a few days ago, a boot that I've never seen a player with a sprained ankle being required to wear.

Nonetheless, it is frustrating that it's seemingly impossible he'll have a season where he plays 100% of the games. That being said, I wouldn't be devastated if he shuts it down for the rest of the year. We're gonna need him to be as available as possible for the next 3 years. I'm honestly more hurt about Miles sitting out this last stretch of games.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,146

Post#964 » by Braggins » Sun May 9, 2021 6:29 pm

fatlever wrote:Is this MF just gonna low key miss the rest of the season? 2 months with a sprained ankle and still no indication he's anywhere close to returning

Looking like hes going to end up missing 40% of the season. Not a good sign for a 31 year old in the first year of a huge four year contract imo. Even with his good numbers/efficiency I don't know how you can justify tying up 40 million in cap space for him.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,247

Post#965 » by luciano-davidwesley » Mon May 10, 2021 12:02 am

Braggins wrote:

Looking like hes going to end up missing 40% of the season. Not a good sign for a 31 year old in the first year of a huge four year contract imo. Even with his good numbers/efficiency I don't know how you can justify tying up 40 million in cap space for him.

I think it's pretty obvious it was a dumb move to sign him. Injury prone and he's clearly not a quick healer. That last year screams buyout.
Braggins
RealGM

Post#966 » by Braggins » Mon May 10, 2021 12:46 am

luciano-davidwesley wrote:
Braggins wrote:

I think it's pretty obvious it was a dumb move to sign him. Injury prone and he's clearly not a quick healer. That last year screams buyout.

I think it might be inevitable that we end up losing a much younger (and healthier) player that we'd like to keep because of the cap constraints imposed by his contract and the 9 million in dead cap from the Batum stretch. Could be Rozier, Monk, Miles, or PJ.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Post#967 » by yosemiteben » Mon May 10, 2021 1:26 am

Braggins wrote:
Braggins wrote:Looking like hes going to end up missing 40% of the season. Not a good sign for a 31 year old in the first year of a huge four year contract imo. Even with his good numbers/efficiency I don't know how you can justify tying up 40 million in cap space for him.

I think it might be inevitable that we end up losing a much younger (and healthier) player that we'd like to keep because of the cap constraints imposed by his contract and the 9 million in dead cap from the Batum stretch. Could be Rozier, Monk, Miles, or PJ.

Only if we go cheap, and if we do that it's not because of Hayward. We don't have to let any bird right guys go.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,050

Post#968 » by Liver_Pooty » Mon May 10, 2021 1:31 am

Phenomenal signing. Blame Mitch for the Batum ordeal.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,159

Post#969 » by Rich4114 » Mon May 10, 2021 2:44 am

If we had Gordon available, we win tonight’s game and many of the others we’ve recently lost. It’s so lazy to call this a bad signing considering we were in the 4/5/6 spots until he and LaMelo got hurt. We just need a capable center and we are right there with NYK/ATL and possibly even the Bucks.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,247

Post#970 » by luciano-davidwesley » Mon May 10, 2021 3:20 am

Rich4114 wrote:If we had Gordon available, we win tonight’s game and many of the others we’ve recently lost. It’s so lazy to call this a bad signing considering we were in the 4/5/6 spots until he and LaMelo got hurt. We just need a capable center and we are right there with NYK/ATL and possibly even the Bucks.

Yes it's very lazy to call the signing of an injury prone player who is long-term injured on huge salary plus a stretch a bad signing.

Do you think Mitch Kupchak was assuming he'd magically stop missing a ton of games this season?
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#971 » by Liver_Pooty » Mon May 10, 2021 4:45 am

Rich4114 wrote:If we had Gordon available, we win tonight’s game and many of the others we’ve recently lost. It’s so lazy to call this a bad signing considering we were in the 4/5/6 spots until he and LaMelo got hurt. We just need a capable center and we are right there with NYK/ATL and possibly even the Bucks.

Yes it's very lazy to call the signing of an injury prone player who is long-term injured on huge salary plus a stretch a bad signing.

Do you Mitch Kupchak was assuming he'd magically stop missing a ton of games this season?

Fluke injuries for the most part. Isn't like he has constant hamstring or quad injuries. Landed on another guys foot for **** sake.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Roll Tide 09
Bench Warmer
And1: 439

Post#972 » by Roll Tide 09 » Mon May 10, 2021 7:27 am

He'll be fine as long as he can continue to put up at least 17-5-5 each game. With the emergence of Miles, he might be expendable for the right piece(s). He's also on a fairly good contract, honestly. You package him with someone like Washington or Graham along with two 2nd round picks...and you get an established All-Star player in return and possibly a draft pick or two.
IG: @theonlylogicalthinker
IG: @arisethecompany

Twitter: @arisethecompany

yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Post#973 » by yosemiteben » Mon May 10, 2021 2:39 pm

Mitch has signaled that Hayward was a higher caliber FA than they thought they could possibly land, and I bet getting shunned by Harrell when they were offering him a pay raise and starting gig was fresh in their mind at the time.

I understand wanting to capitalize on a unique opportunity, but I also do think it was risky and I'm not confident we'll end up looking back a couple years from now thinking it was a good decision.

I do think after all the extensions that this summer is not a great one to have a bunch of cap space, so from that perspective it stings a little less.
BeesWax
General Manager
And1: 1,660

Post#974 » by BeesWax » Tue May 11, 2021 11:28 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:

Do you Mitch Kupchak was assuming he'd magically stop missing a ton of games this season?

Fluke injuries for the most part. Isn't like he has constant hamstring or quad injuries. Landed on another guys foot for **** sake.

But at some point isn't that just who he is? I mean I know they are fluke injuries but he seems to always get them. It just feels like he has bad luck and it is not going to change.
Spoiler:
Rays Pompadour
Senior
And1: 418

Post#975 » by Rays Pompadour » Tue May 11, 2021 2:08 pm

It's rare to see a player outplay his free agent contract. Terry Rozier is the most recent notable exception, though this board griped about it to excess. And these days since the BIG RAISE that blew the lid off player salaries, it's even hard to find a player playing up to his FA contract. The big value is in rookie-scale contracts and FA one-year deals. These are the hungry players.

Hayward, like Batum before him, was never ever going to play up to or even at even keel to his contract. But his contract was the cost of doing business for a small (or mid) market club with little drawing power. I mean, the franchise was snubbed by Motrezl Harrell, for the love of mike. If the Hornets were in good playoff position with Hayward making a major contribution, his contract would be less of an issue.

As for the injuries, I'm not ready to downgrade Hayward to Zeller status just yet. If Charlotte adds a rim-protecting, rebounding center in the offseason, either through free agency (best option) or through the draft (lesser option due to the developmental time required for bigs), Hayward can concentrate on his most positive role of facilitator and trusted scorer and less on banging for rebounds and defending beneath the arc. And this will help keep him healthy. Then, maybe, he'll make the kind of contribution needed to take the Hornets to the next level and justify his contract.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#976 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue May 11, 2021 2:15 pm

Not going to lie I'm pretty sure he's done for the season and I'm pretty pissed off about it.
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 867

Post#977 » by Chapelchilla » Tue May 11, 2021 4:53 pm

Rays Pompadour wrote:It's rare to see a player outplay his free agent contract. Terry Rozier is the most recent notable exception, though this board griped about it to excess. And these days since the BIG RAISE that blew the lid off player salaries, it's even hard to find a player playing up to his FA contract. The big value is in rookie-scale contracts and FA one-year deals. These are the hungry players.

Hayward, like Batum before him, was never ever going to play up to or even at even keel to his contract. But his contract was the cost of doing business for a small (or mid) market club with little drawing power. I mean, the franchise was snubbed by Motrezl Harrell, for the love of mike. If the Hornets were in good playoff position with Hayward making a major contribution, his contract would be less of an issue.

As for the injuries, I'm not ready to downgrade Hayward to Zeller status just yet. If Charlotte adds a rim-protecting, rebounding center in the offseason, either through free agency (best option) or through the draft (lesser option due to the developmental time required for bigs), Hayward can concentrate on his most positive role of facilitator and trusted scorer and less on banging for rebounds and defending beneath the arc. And this will help keep him healthy. Then, maybe, he'll make the kind of contribution needed to take the Hornets to the next level and justify his contract.

He was playing to the level of his contract prior to the injury. Borderline All Star level. This is not (likely) to be a lingering issue next year if we let it heal properly now. I think it was a great signing and it should benefit us tremendously going forward in the years to come when we have a better roster. If he is the second or 3rd best guy while providing veteran leadership on a young talented team with a real full starting 5 we will be winning a bunch of games. This year, I hope we lose every game the rest of the way at this point to get a better pick. Without a healthy Hayward and Bridges we have no decent 3 men. We already have bad big men at Center. We won't beat NJ or Philly in a playoff game let alone a series. Next year we should have a legit C or two, healthy talented forwards and an excellent back court.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,396

Post#978 » by Hornet Mania » Tue May 11, 2021 5:44 pm

The foot thing was just crap luck but it probably didn't make any difference in the grand scheme this season. If Gordo is available and Melo/Monk (and later Graham/Bridges/Thing 1) are all out we probably still slip to 7/8th place.

Gordo was worth his deal this season but ultimately it's the next few years which will decide if that overpay is defensible. If he spends the next two years being injured and then is a complete albatross by year 4 it was a super stupid decision. If he can be borderline all-star caliber the next couple years and then respectable in year 4 while helping us win a playoff series or two early in Melo's career it was a good investment.
Braggins
RealGM

Post#979 » by Braggins » Tue May 11, 2021 5:53 pm

Chapelchilla wrote:He was playing to the level of his contract prior to the injury. Borderline All Star level.

I don't really agree with this. We essentially tied up nearly 40 million in cap for him (37.5/38.9/39.9/31.5) and thats more than what a borderline all-star is worth. You can't really separate the Batum stretch from his contract because that was part of the cost of signing him. It looks a little better once the Batum stretch comes off the books for his final year, but by that point he'll be 34 years old and still making over 30 million, while likely not being as productive as he currently is, even assuming good health.

Its a bit of a tricky situation to talk about, because he has absolutely played well. Its hard to nitpick a guy putting up 20/6/4 on good efficiency while playing winning basketball, but he also missed 40% of the season, which seems to be the norm for him, and he still is costing the team considerably more than his production is worth imo.
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 867

Post#980 » by Chapelchilla » Tue May 11, 2021 10:11 pm

Braggins wrote:
Chapelchilla wrote:He was playing to the level of his contract prior to the injury. Borderline All Star level.

I don't really agree with this. We essentially tied up nearly 40 million in cap for him (37.5/38.9/39.9/31.5) and thats more than what a borderline all-star is worth. You can't really separate the Batum stretch from his contract because that was part of the cost of signing him. It looks a little better once the Batum stretch comes off the books for his final year, but by that point he'll be 34 years old and still making over 30 million, while likely not being as productive as he currently is, even assuming good health.

Its a bit of a tricky situation to talk about, because he has absolutely played well. Its hard to nitpick a guy putting up 20/6/4 on good efficiency while playing winning basketball, but he also missed 40% of the season, which seems to be the norm for him, and he still is costing the team considerably more than his production is worth imo.

I also don't really agree with that cap gymnastics argument. He didn't cost us 40 mill this year in a vacuum. Batum was going to cost us 30 million or so regardless. In year 4 he costs what will likely be a fairly normal number with wage growth. It's only the next 2 years that he actually costs us a full 39/40. There re a lot of reasons why bringing a vet FA with some stature was way way more important then the $ last year. We have covered them plenty.
We have the flexibility to still add a center this year and our own young FAs can be resigned regardless, if they are worth the deal they want. On that note, I would jettison Monk, Devonte and the twins with no qualms. If they want to stay here on a team friendly deal, that's fine. None of them are special. Ball, Terry, Bridges, PJ we can still keep or trade for assets. If Jordan wants to build a winner while he has a shot he will need to dip into the piggy bank in 2 years for a year or two. I think he is getting older and starting to see that his window is getting shorter and he may well be willing to spend to win here while we have a real star.

Return to Charlotte Hornets