ImageImage

Center Options

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

MPM
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,708

Re: Center Options 

Post#121 » by MPM » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:58 pm

JMAC3 may have bandied this about before, but if there was any interest on Indiana's part in a Rozier for Turner trade, it would seem a pretty easy call.

Works straight up, would get the Pacers out from one year of what some see as an overpay on Myles while providing back court firepower needed due to Lavert's health issues, and would get us our youngish, shot blocking, stretch 5 (while, unfortunately, not really addressing our frontcourt rebounding).

EDIT - of course, the severity of Sabonis' injury might flush this whole idea down the toilet.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,504

Post#122 » by GoBobs » Wed Feb 3, 2021 3:05 am

Might be an unpopular take, but I think Cody Zeller can have a break out year. Once he gets some chemistry with Melo that is going to unlock some of the things he does well like running the floor. Between 28-32 are usually peak years for bigs and Zeller is still only 28
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,833

Post#123 » by Diop » Wed Feb 3, 2021 5:12 am

I think we've already seen the best of Zeller, quick super active centre, makes solid decisions but can struggle when bullied in the paint. Not a strong defender and finisher but his pace will give him opportunites with ball.

I'd still prefer an upgrade though.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#124 » by Diop » Wed Feb 3, 2021 5:13 am

MPM wrote:JMAC3 may have bandied this about before, but if there was any interest on Indiana's part in a Rozier for Turner trade, it would seem a pretty easy call.

Works straight up, would get the Pacers out from one year of what some see as an overpay on Myles while providing back court firepower needed due to Lavert's health issues, and would get us our youngish, shot blocking, stretch 5 (while, unfortunately, not really addressing our frontcourt rebounding).

EDIT - of course, the severity of Sabonis' injury might flush this whole idea down the toilet.

I can't see Pacers being that keen to trade Turner. Its working at the moment, Turner doesn't have to score a lot, just keep the pressure up defensively. Sabonis has plenty of room to work as Turner can hit the 3.
cornchip
Pro Prospect
And1: 518

Post#125 » by cornchip » Wed Feb 3, 2021 10:14 am

Diop wrote:
MPM wrote:JMAC3 may have bandied this about before, but if there was any interest on Indiana's part in a Rozier for Turner trade, it would seem a pretty easy call.

I can't see Pacers being that keen to trade Turner. Its working at the moment, Turner doesn't have to score a lot, just keep the pressure up defensively. Sabonis has plenty of room to work as Turner can hit the 3.

Not only that but I think Turner would net a better player than Rozier if it's a 1 for 1.
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#126 » by Snidely FC » Wed Feb 3, 2021 2:26 pm

such a shame we didn't grab Xaiver Tillman when available at 32
MPM
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,708

Post#127 » by MPM » Wed Feb 3, 2021 2:33 pm

cornchip wrote:
Diop wrote:

Not only that but I think Turner would net a better player than Rozier if it's a 1 for 1.

Yeah, after I posted I realized that ship had likely sailed - that it would take more than Rozier. A 1 for 1 deal would've made more sense at the beginning of the season (based on last season's Turner/Sabonis dynamic), but Turner's been playing very well and their roster really feels like it's starting to gel.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#128 » by LofJ » Wed Feb 3, 2021 2:53 pm

Snidely FC wrote:such a shame we didn't grab Xaiver Tillman when available at 32

We don't even know what we have in Vernon Carey yet. We signed him to a 4 year deal and he's only 19. It's too soon to call that a wasted pick or missed opportunity.
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 867

Post#129 » by Chapelchilla » Wed Feb 3, 2021 5:16 pm

LofJ wrote:
Snidely FC wrote:such a shame we didn't grab Xaiver Tillman when available at 32

We don't even know what we have in Vernon Carey yet. We signed him to a 4 year deal and he's only 19. It's too soon to call that a wasted pick or missed opportunity.

Exactly, let's at least see how he looks in Greensboro next month before deciding on the super early ROI there.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,168

Post#130 » by Rich4114 » Mon Feb 8, 2021 4:35 pm

Apparently the Nets signed Noah Vonleh. I didn't even know he was available. How is it that a stacked team like the Nets can sign someone like that for front court depth when we don't even seem to be bothered by the fact that we have SG's playing center at different points of games? Are we interested in helping the front court or nah?
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#131 » by DY_nasty » Mon Feb 8, 2021 8:46 pm

vonleh kinda sucks and would be a retread imo. the nets are more desperate inside than we are...

i'd be happy with richards just getting the privilege of handing out 6 hard fouls every night while our other guys are able to play at their natural positions for just a few more minutes.
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#132 » by Rich4114 » Mon Feb 8, 2021 10:09 pm

DY_nasty wrote:vonleh kinda sucks and would be a retread imo. the nets are more desperate inside than we are...

i'd be happy with richards just getting the privilege of handing out 6 hard fouls every night while our other guys are able to play at their natural positions for just a few more minutes.

Maybe this answers our question. Mitch isn't going to go out and find more front court depth when we haven't even used what we have on the roster. Sounds like a POSSIBLE solution to JB's problem is JB deciding to use what he already has first. But he just won't.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#133 » by Diop » Mon Feb 8, 2021 11:25 pm

Vonleh was pretty solid for the Knicks, I can’t believe he is still only 25.
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#134 » by euphorbus » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:40 pm

Even Rick Bonnell agrees the Hornets need to add someone to the roster:

https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sports/nba/article249542008.html
Rays Pompadour
Senior
And1: 418

Post#135 » by Rays Pompadour » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:48 pm

Old news, even if the article was posted today. Mitch is waiting until the G-league season ends and he can bring up Carey and Richards after the All Star break. If he sees a deal that makes sense before then, he'll make a move. I won't hold my breath, though. Just gotta trust the process, right?
stinger14
Starter
And1: 768

Post#136 » by stinger14 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:10 am

I would call the Nets about Nicolas Claxton. His talents are exactly what we need to pair with LaMelo.
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 906

Post#137 » by MugzZo » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:10 am

stinger14 wrote:I would call the Nets about Nicolas Claxton. His talents are exactly what we need to pair with LaMelo.
Graham for Claxton? I'm down but it won't happen.
stinger14
Starter
And1: 768

Post#138 » by stinger14 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:30 pm

MugzZo wrote:
stinger14 wrote:I would call the Nets about Nicolas Claxton. His talents are exactly what we need to pair with LaMelo.
Graham for Claxton? I'm down but it won't happen.

I am not really sure how they value him in terms of a trade. Would they be interested in Biz to backup Jordan? Would they have interest in Cody Martin as depth and a wing defender, they have enough scoring. We can also add a 2nd to either guy.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,653

Post#139 » by yosemiteben » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:44 pm

Read on Twitter

Rich4114
RealGM

Post#140 » by Rich4114 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:25 am

Sounds like Richards and Carrey are not going to matter this season and you have to assume they aren’t real contributors next either. So what will we do for a center next year? None under contract either. I can’t handle anymore Zeller and Biz seasons. It’s time for move the hell on.

Return to Charlotte Hornets