ImageImage

Center Options

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,163

Re: Center Options 

Post#61 » by JMAC3 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 4:17 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Just for fun here are my Center Rankings and Tiers, Obviously some of these are splitting hairs which is why I did the tiers. Hope you all enjoy haha

Center Tier 1- Superstar
1. Nikola Jokic- Easily the top guy for me
2. Joel Embiid
3. Bam Adebayo
4. Karl Anthony Towns- He is soft, but I still think I would rather him than Rudy
5. Rudy Gobert

Center Tier 2- Above Average Starter

6. Nicola Vucevic
7. Kristaps Porzingis- Close to Tier 1, but he can't stay healthy and doesn't always play Center
8. Jusuf Nurkic
9. Deandre Ayton
10. Christian Wood- Hard to rank, but he is impressing
11. Jonas Valanciunas- Probably one of tougher guys to rank for me
12. Andre Drummond
13. Myles Turner
14. Jarrett Allen
15. Clint Capela
16. Steven Adams- Feel like he is starting over anyone in Tier 3

Center Tier 3- Average Starter

17. Montrezl Harrell
18. Serge Ibaka
19. DeAndre Jordan
20. Brook Lopez
21. Mitchell Robinson
22. Wendell Carter Jr.
23. Marc Gasol
24. Derrick Favors
25. Al Horford
26. Thomas Bryant
27. Tristan Thompson
28. Ivica Zubac
29. Mason Plumlee
30. Cody Zeller- Really think he could be anywhere from 25-35, so put him in middle
31. Hassan Whiteside
32. Richaun Holmes
33. Daniel Theis
34. Aaron Baynes
35. Jacob Poetl

Center Tier 4- Solid Backup

36. Nerlens Noel- Never really been a starter, hard to say he guaranteed to start over anyone in Tier 3
37. Dwight Powell
38. Javale McGee
39. Demarcus Cousins- Seems best suited for bench role now
40. Enes Kanter
41. Dwight Howard
42. Bobby Portis
43. Willie Cauley Stein
43. Bismack Biyombo
44. Kevon Looney
45. Gorgui Deng
46. Robin Lopez

Developmental Centers (projected tier)- Just really too early to tell.

James Wiseman (Projected Tier 2)- If I had to bet money I think he falls in 8-12 range in 2 years
Onyeka Okungwu (Projected Tier 2)
Robert Williams (Projected Tier 3)
Jaxson Hayes (Projected Tier 3)
Isaiah Stewart (Projected Tier 4)
Mo Bamba (Projected Tier 4)

Assuming nobody in tier 1 is available. Most likely nobody in tier 2 is available. Who are targeting in tier 3 and what are you offering up for them?
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#62 » by BigSlam » Sun Jan 3, 2021 4:20 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Assuming nobody in tier 1 is available. Most likely nobody in tier 2 is available. Who are targeting in tier 3 and what are you offering up for them?

You do realize that all you are doing is validating how difficult it is to find a good big man - Right?

Which is what so many of us said during the draft process when posters were insisting big men weren't important and easy to find off the scrap heap or for min contracts etc?

And which is why when there is a really talented big man at the top of a draft he should be in heavy consideration?
B B M F 'ers
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#63 » by JMAC3 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 4:33 pm

BigSlam wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:Assuming nobody in tier 1 is available. Most likely nobody in tier 2 is available. Who are targeting in tier 3 and what are you offering up for them?

You do realize that all you are doing is validating how difficult it is to find a good big man - Right?

Which is what so many of us said during the draft process when posters were insisting big men weren't important and easy to find off the scrap heap or for min contracts etc?

And which is why when there is a really talented big man at the top of a draft he should be in heavy consideration?

So if James Wiseman ends up being Myles Turner you would of been cool picking him 3rd?

I’m saying their are 8-10 “good” big guys and the rest are very meh. Meaning most nights you are playing a meh guy. When you do play one of the good guys sure it sucks but most the time you aren’t going to be at a big disadvantage.

If Wiseman or Okongwu looked like next Embiid then I would of been cool to draft them that high but to me they are destined to fall in the Myles Turner to Jarrett Allen range which isn’t worth a top 3 pick to me.

Anyways what is done is done. Which guy in tier 3 are you trading for?
Big Board
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#64 » by JMAC3 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 7:26 pm

Just a for fun exercise because it is not realistic, but what is the list of Centers that you would be willing to trade LaMelo for straight up right now (don't worry about matching salary). Just a straight 1 for 1. Who would you be willing to make that swap for?
Big Board
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Post#65 » by Liver_Pooty » Sun Jan 3, 2021 7:34 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Just a for fun exercise because it is not realistic, but what is the list of Centers that you would be willing to trade LaMelo for straight up right now (don't worry about matching salary). Just a straight 1 for 1. Who would you be willing to make that swap for?

Bam, Embiid, Jokic, and Towns off the top of my head.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#66 » by BigSlam » Sun Jan 3, 2021 9:10 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Anyways what is done is done. Which guy in tier 3 are you trading for?

None of them - unless I’m giving up next to nothing to acquire them.

So, once again, all you’ve done is validate just how hard it is to land a high end big.

I’m really starting to think that you just don’t get it. There’s been months and months and board member after board member explaining this to you - and even when you demonstrate it yourself above - you just don’t get it.

You are the proverbial dead horse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#67 » by DY_nasty » Sun Jan 3, 2021 9:28 pm

i simply can't tell if its intentional or not. after dealing with ichiro in his prime, everything else is kinda lackluster by comparison lol
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#68 » by JMAC3 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 9:43 pm

BigSlam wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:Anyways what is done is done. Which guy in tier 3 are you trading for?

So, once again, all you’ve done is validate just how hard it is to land a high end big.

I’m really starting to think that you just don’t get it. There’s been months and months and board member after board member explaining this to you - and even when you demonstrate it yourself above - you just don’t get it.

I understand your point about their being very little good Centers. I have never ever argued there are many many good centers.

I agree with you it is hard to get a really good center, most teams have bad center.

Now ask yourself why are there very few good centers?

Clearly guys who have been selected high have failed to reach their marks. Over and Over again. Meaning that when drafting a center high there is a good chance that guy will unfortunately be another one of the guys in tier 3 or maybe if you're lucky tier 2.

That is where you do not get what I am saying
Big Board
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#69 » by JMAC3 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 10:56 pm

BigSlam wrote:

So what is your point? The Hornets should have a better Center? Hot take. I agree.

Are you saying you wish they would have taken Okongwu over Ball. Or traded Bridges and 3 for Wiseman? If not either of them then stop complaining because there really wasn't another option to improve center.

I was in the Ball over Wiseman/OO camp.
Big Board
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#70 » by LofJ » Sun Jan 3, 2021 11:43 pm

I take some solace in the fact that Mitch has tried many times to bring in more talent at the center position. Cauley-Stein, Harrell, and Cousins were all targets. Two of them signed elsewhere for less money and Cousins went to play for a team that had literally no one at center going into the offseason.

I eagerly await the day we finally have a starting caliber big. I appreciate Cody a lot, but he was only briefly that guy. He just can't take the physicality the position requires 30 minutes a night.

It's also nice to dream about someone like Evan Mobley, but as talented as he is it's going go take him at least two years to be ready for the physicality of the NBA. We need someone decent now if we want to be a solid team.

It's a shame that our timing is off with regards to free agency. We have the cash to find a starting big this offseason, but the pickings are slim. The offseason after this one is the best market for bigs that I can remember.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Post#71 » by Liver_Pooty » Sun Jan 3, 2021 11:57 pm

Having a legit center would be nice, but know what would really be nice? Not having a starting guard be literally the worst shooter in the NBA thus far, or PJ come into the season grossly out of shape and look terrible.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
predators
Senior
And1: 319

Post#72 » by predators » Mon Jan 4, 2021 2:40 pm

NCHeels2008 wrote:
predators wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:Just for fun here are my Center Rankings and Tiers, Obviously some of these are splitting hairs which is why I did the tiers. Hope you all enjoy haha

Center Tier 1- Superstar
1. Nikola Jokic- Easily the top guy for me
2. Joel Embiid
3. Bam Adebayo
4. Karl Anthony Towns- He is soft, but I still think I would rather him than Rudy
5. Rudy Gobert

Center Tier 2- Above Average Starter

6. Nicola Vucevic
7. Kristaps Porzingis- Close to Tier 1, but he can't stay healthy and doesn't always play Center
8. Jusuf Nurkic
9. Deandre Ayton
10. Christian Wood- Hard to rank, but he is impressing
11. Jonas Valanciunas- Probably one of tougher guys to rank for me
12. Andre Drummond
13. Myles Turner
14. Jarrett Allen
15. Clint Capela
16. Steven Adams- Feel like he is starting over anyone in Tier 3

Center Tier 3- Average Starter

17. Montrezl Harrell
18. Serge Ibaka
19. DeAndre Jordan
20. Brook Lopez
21. Mitchell Robinson
22. Wendell Carter Jr.
23. Marc Gasol
24. Derrick Favors
25. Al Horford
26. Thomas Bryant
27. Tristan Thompson
28. Ivica Zubac
29. Mason Plumlee
30. Cody Zeller- Really think he could be anywhere from 25-35, so put him in middle
31. Hassan Whiteside
32. Richaun Holmes
33. Daniel Theis
34. Aaron Baynes
35. Jacob Poetl

Center Tier 4- Solid Backup

36. Nerlens Noel- Never really been a starter, hard to say he guaranteed to start over anyone in Tier 3
37. Dwight Powell
38. Javale McGee
39. Demarcus Cousins- Seems best suited for bench role now
40. Enes Kanter
41. Dwight Howard
42. Bobby Portis
43. Willie Cauley Stein
43. Bismack Biyombo
44. Kevon Looney
45. Gorgui Deng
46. Robin Lopez

Developmental Centers (projected tier)- Just really too early to tell.

James Wiseman (Projected Tier 2)- If I had to bet money I think he falls in 8-12 range in 2 years
Onyeka Okungwu (Projected Tier 2)
Robert Williams (Projected Tier 3)
Jaxson Hayes (Projected Tier 3)
Isaiah Stewart (Projected Tier 4)
Mo Bamba (Projected Tier 4)

This really illustrates how from a Championship winning perspective you are better off getting a ring chaser on the downside of their career or get the guy on rookie deal rather than paying a good center in his prime market value in Today’s nba. Like Jarret Allen and Bam are the only guys in the first two tiers that has a legitimate shot of making the NBA finals and both are on their rookie contracts still. Like I guess Jokic, porzingis, and Embiid have an outside shot at it.

Picking 7 foot Europeans mid to late 1st round also seems like the play.

Also AD is a "4/5" but for the purposes of projecting title potential AD is a 5 if that makes sense

The Lakers keep true centers on the roster, and almost always start one. So even though AD gets minutes there, I wouldn't really say the Lakers are built around the center position. They are only paying Marc Gasol and Harell 12 million per.
NCHeels2008
RealGM
And1: 2,606

Post#73 » by NCHeels2008 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 6:08 am

predators wrote:
NCHeels2008 wrote:
predators wrote:
This really illustrates how from a Championship winning perspective you are better off getting a ring chaser on the downside of their career or get the guy on rookie deal rather than paying a good center in his prime market value in Today’s nba. Like Jarret Allen and Bam are the only guys in the first two tiers that has a legitimate shot of making the NBA finals and both are on their rookie contracts still. Like I guess Jokic, porzingis, and Embiid have an outside shot at it.

Picking 7 foot Europeans mid to late 1st round also seems like the play.

Also AD is a "4/5" but for the purposes of projecting title potential AD is a 5 if that makes sense

The Lakers keep true centers on the roster, and almost always start one. So even though AD gets minutes there, I wouldn't really say the Lakers are built around the center position. They are only paying Marc Gasol and Harell 12 million per.

I would say a good bit of their success is that AD is a mismatch against almost every center in the game and the Lakers have that "button" to push whenever they need to
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,238

Post#74 » by amcoolio » Tue Jan 5, 2021 10:50 am

We need someone who can catch the ball and finish. It doesn’t matter if they suck on D. Our team is just gonna. W bad on defense anyway. We should look into Okafor now too. We shouldn’t have waited so long on Hayward and and Boston
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#75 » by JMAC3 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 2:54 pm

The more I look into Dedmon the more I see why he is unsigned. I just put together a in depth look at rookie point guard shooting numbers from location/percentage. Here is what I found on Dedmon.

Player
Distance- Percentage of shots attempted from distance/Shooting Percentage from said Distance

Dedmon
0-3 Feet- 32.5%/ 67.5%
3-10 Feet- 15%/ 33%
10-16 Feet- 5%/ 41%
16- 3P- 5%/ 43%
3P - 42%/20%

Essentially he shot 20% on 107 three pointers attempted last year over 44 game sample.

I would probably still give him a look, but essentially he was a stretch 5 who could not shoot last year.
Big Board
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#76 » by JMAC3 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 4:15 pm

Another side note on Centers for next summer.

With Gobert, Bam, and Adams signing extensions to take them off the market. That leaves the following available in FA next summer.

Drummond- going to get paid probably- Hayward money
Jarrett Allen- Nets at 140 guaranteed money next year (if Dinwiddie declines, and not including cap hold of Allen) Not sure they can resign him.
Zach Collins- my darkhorse
Whiteside- backup backup backup plan?
Zeller- Boring
Dieng- Gross

Teams with projected cap space - in order of projected cap space
Spurs- signed Poetl to 3/30 but might still be looking
Knicks- Mitchell Robinson will need to get paid soon, they need guard help
Thunder- So much cap space so they are threat even with Horford massive number
Hornets- Obviously we need someone
Bulls- Have WCJ, but they could look to add someone if they do not believe and let him walk next year.
Cavs- Losing Drummond, but could bring him back
Pelicans- Just signed Adams to ext and have Jaxson Hayes
Mavericks- Porzingis and a bunch of randos.
Grizzlies- Valanciunas and only projected about 10 mil in space.

Note: Did not include Aldridge, John Collins, Blake or Lauri because they are more PF types.
Big Board
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#77 » by JMAC3 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:52 pm

Raptors released Alex Len

Myles Turner apparently fractured his hand.
Big Board
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#78 » by euphorbus » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:11 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Raptors released Alex Len.

I have not seen him play in ages. Is he any good? Can he protect the paint and grab boards?
dmutombo321
Sixth Man
And1: 365

Post#79 » by dmutombo321 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:37 pm

euphorbus wrote:

I have not seen him play in ages. Is he any good? Can he protect the paint and grab boards?

Was still a solid veteran center as recently as last year. Would be an upgrade to Biyombo IMO.

If he clears waivers, would be a good pickup

[url][/url]
MPM
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,708

Post#80 » by MPM » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:55 pm

euphorbus wrote:

FWIW. Select nuggets mined from the Raptors board:

Weird considering he’s been better than Baynes.

He sucked for sure, but he was the biggest guy on a roster with no size at all.

Len has been out for personal reasons. Seems really odd that we just waive him out of nowhere.

my guess this is a lockerroom issue, alex len said there was tension in locker room at start of season, been away from team for while.

Len has been ass but he was still serviceable enough to play and maybe even include as a Contract in trade deals.

I would have cut Baynes before Len. Then again, a lot of these moves are salary cap juggling.

When he did play, was frozen out on offense. Needs a true PG to utilize his offense. Watching Fred pound the rock will frustrate most.

It's probably not a giant conspiracy theory. He was garbage and belonged on the side of the road.

Len was a scrub so this isn't a surprise. Especially since he was a defensive liability against any team that didn't have a big lumbering center to go up against. Could also be something off the court, who knows.

Also a lot of mentions of him breaking Covid protocol.

Return to Charlotte Hornets