ImageImage

2021 Off-Season Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,162

2021 Off-Season Thread 

Post#1 » by JMAC3 » Sat Feb 6, 2021 4:32 pm

I know it is early, but it is never too soon to start planning out your future especially when we are expected to be a player at the trade deadline this season. A lot of what we do will be based on what our plan is moving forward.

Players under contract for 2021-2022 Season- 10 Players (7 guaranteed)
Gordon Hayward @ 29.9 Million
Terry Rozier @ 17.9 Million
LaMelo Ball @ 8.2 Million
Miles Bridges @ 5.4 Million
PJ Washington @ 4.2 Million
Jalen McDaniels @ 1.7 Million- Non-guranteed
Caleb Martin @ 1.5 Million- Non-guranteed
Cody Martin @ 1.5 Million- Non-guranteed
Vernon Carey @1.5 Million
Nick Richards @ 1.5 Million

Restricted Free Agents
Devonte Graham w/ caphold of 2 Million
Malik Monk w/ caphold of 13.3 Milllion
Grant Riller w/ caphold of 1.4 Million
Nate Darling w/ caphold of 1.4 Million

Unrestricted Free Agents
Cody Zeller w/ caphold of 23.1 Million
Bismack Biyombo w caphold of 6.6 Million

Dead Cap
Nic Batum @ 9 Million

Draft Picks
Charlotte First Rounder
Nets Second Rounder
Clippers Second Rounder

Cap Space Projections
Cap space if we decline all cap holds = 29 Million
Cap space if we decline all but Graham = 27 Million
Cap space if we decline all but Graham and Monk = 14 million

Free Agent Exceptions to be used after cap space is utilized
Non- Taxpayer MidLevel Exception 9.5 Million
Bi- Annual Exception 3.7 Million
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
JMAC3
General Manager

Re: 2021 Off-Season Thread 

Post#2 » by JMAC3 » Sat Feb 6, 2021 4:45 pm

So if you assume we bring back all 10 guys under contract for next season, Our first rounder and Graham that is 12 roster spots filled.

That leaves 3 rosters spots for us to spend 27 Million in cap space, use 2 exceptions, and have 2 second round picks. Likely means our second round picks won't make the roster and will be 2 way contract players.

Could be a situation where we end up cutting McDaniels or Martin Twins because they are not guaranteed. So might make sense to include them in trades now.

Also, if we do not resign Monk. Wait to resign Graham last (just on paper) we could spend 27 million on new free agents. Then another 9.5 Million annually on a separate guy and another 3.7 Million on somebody else. Meaning we could technically spend 40+ million dollars in free agency on players plus pay Graham whatever deal we want on top of that.
Big Board
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#3 » by JMAC3 » Sat Feb 6, 2021 4:47 pm

We need depth, a couple guys I wouldn't mind signing this offseason to help offset our depth issues would be:

Otto Porter Jr.- Shooting 40% from three. Could be a really valuable wing that can switch on defense. Going to be taking a massive paycut this offseason, but I think at right price he is really good player. 2/30 would not be bad, would give us a lot of different lineup versatility.

Kelly Oubre- Another swiss army knife like Porter who can play 2-4. Would offer something close to OPjr offer.

Lonzo Ball- Big guard, shooting 35% from three now (7.4 attempts) after a bad start. Can play the 2 next to Melo, would be a good backup pg on second unit when Melo sits. Realistically we want a guy who can shoot threes and defend and has size next to LaMelo. Lonzo checks those boxes and is 23. Even if he isn't perfect player, I think he is being undervalued in the league.

Josh Hart- Really good three and D wing that would be a nice improvement over Martin twins. Still just 26. 3/30 would be a nice signing in my mind to be a top bench guy with potential to start.

Doug McDermott
- We need knock down shooters. He is such a good player, has a high IQ and I think Lamelo and him would be a good fit. Another guy I think gives you lineup versatility and can change games off the bench.

Montrezl Harrell- He has a player option next year, maybe he decides he made a mistake and comes and signs with us

Richaun Holmes- He is UFA, so he can sign anywhere. Maybe he wants to play with LaMelo? Probably going to have to overpay for him.

Zach Collins- Still just 23. Can do a bit of everything on the court. Might be able to get him on the low because of injury history.

Moritz Wagner- Still just 23. Wizards are invested in Thomas Bryant. Sign Wagner to be a stretch 5 off the bench.

Khem Birch- been impressed when watching him, could be decent backup center for 2/10 type deal.
Big Board
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,146

Post#4 » by Braggins » Sat Feb 6, 2021 4:54 pm

I think Otto and Oubre will be too expensive for their talent level because of how crappy this free agent class is. Id be cool with value deals for some of those other guys. I wonder if they have an inside track on getting Lonzo on a reasonable deal because the bros want to play together. That would make trading Graham and keeping Monk both seem like more attractive options.

Edit: Your available cap space numbers might be high by a small amount due to empty roster spot cap holds and the cap hold for the 1st round pick.

Also, I believe they would have to go into free agency operating over the cap if they want to use the MLE, but they can do this by picking up Monk and Zellers cap holds. They could actually keep Graham, Zeller, and Monk, and sign someone with the MLE and possibly end up only being over the cap by a fairly small amount.
James Gatz
Veteran
And1: 693

Post#5 » by James Gatz » Sun Feb 7, 2021 3:36 am

I feel like we should at least go after Jarrett Allen with an offer sheet.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#6 » by JMAC3 » Sun Feb 7, 2021 3:19 pm

James Gatz wrote:I feel like we should at least go after Jarrett Allen with an offer sheet.

Ties our money up for 3 days while we wait on the Cavs to match. Would rather go after Richard Holmes because he is an unrestricted free agent.
Big Board
James Gatz
Veteran
And1: 693

Post#7 » by James Gatz » Sun Feb 7, 2021 3:24 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
James Gatz wrote:I feel like we should at least go after Jarrett Allen with an offer sheet.

Ties our money up for 3 days while we wait on the Cavs to match. Would rather go after Richard Holmes because he is an unrestricted free agent.

My thinking is that while Holmes would improve us it wouldn't be enough to push up to the playoffs. He's also going to be 28 next year. I'd rather make a long term move for Allen who is 22. Even if it's matched we'd still have access to guys in the same caliber as Holmes. I think a 4/80 deal for Allen would almost certainly be matched unless we did some sort of S&T, but I think the chance of getting a young big who fits next to LaMelo is worth it.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#8 » by JMAC3 » Sun Feb 7, 2021 4:36 pm

James Gatz wrote:My thinking is that while Holmes would improve us it wouldn't be enough to push up to the playoffs. He's also going to be 28 next year. I'd rather make a long term move for Allen who is 22. Even if it's matched we'd still have access to guys in the same caliber as Holmes. I think a 4/80 deal for Allen would almost certainly be matched unless we did some sort of S&T, but I think the chance of getting a young big who fits next to LaMelo is worth it.

The Cavs invested in Allen a first round pick and took on long-term salary to make the deal work. Even if they did agree to a sign and trade we would have to offer something better than that. To me I would rather just set my sights on someone more attainable, but as the time gets closer it will be a situation to monitor.

My goal is use that 27 Million in cap space to bring in two key players. One a center, one a wing and then bring back Devonte to be our 6th man. Something like Holmes, Otto Porter Jr and Graham would be an awesome offseason and then we would still have our first rounder too.

Ball- Graham
Rozier- First Rounder? (Josh Christopher/Donsumu)
Hayward- Otto Porter
PJ- Bridges
Holmes

That is a really good team and hopefully First rounder would be able to take over for Rozier in a year.
Big Board

Return to Charlotte Hornets