ImageImage

2021 Hornets Playoff Watch

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Re: 2021 Hornets Playoff Watch 

Post#101 » by euphorbus » Fri May 7, 2021 8:07 pm

Six games left. I would hate to see the Hornets fall out of eighth position. Realistically, we can go 3-3. Let's get it wrapped up before meeting Washington, currently in ninth place, in the last game of the regular season.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,407

Post#102 » by Hornet Mania » Fri May 7, 2021 10:53 pm

Zion and Ingram both out indefinitely. That New Orleans game just got a lot more winnable.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Post#103 » by Braggins » Fri May 7, 2021 11:37 pm

I predict they go 4-2 and finish 8th, then lose against Miami in the first round of the play-in, then probably beat Washington/Indiana to get the 8th seed. Ngl I hope they lose both play-in games so we got a shot in the lottery.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Post#104 » by Liver_Pooty » Sat May 8, 2021 3:50 am

Missing the playoffs entirely for a 2.4% shot at a top 4 pick and our guys not getting any playoff experience is maddening to me.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,247

Post#105 » by luciano-davidwesley » Sat May 8, 2021 10:16 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:Missing the playoffs entirely for a 2.4% shot at a top 4 pick and our guys not getting any playoff experience is maddening to me.

I don't think the pro-tank group would have been gunning for the 8-10 seed and would have planned to lose more games than we have so far.
bravor
Starter
And1: 737

Post#106 » by bravor » Sat May 8, 2021 11:41 am

Obviously the target should have been Mobley if he really is a Kevin Garnett like prospect. Now this is a pipe dream whiich is sad since this draft does not have a lot of star potential among the other center or pf/c in the range the Hornets will pick (i guess there is just Thomas in that range and apparently he has almost no game in offense besides alley oops or put back).

Anyway it will be after the free agency that people will be able to judge if it was wise or not to compete. For now extensions have not been signed and no one can really predict what kind of trade could happen.

At least Hornets should tank in 2022. They already have to overpay to land guys like Hayward (even though it turns out pretty well). As i and others have said, the idea should be to develop the real core (around Ball obviously) and keep cheap assets and try to land other matching (age, position) prospects or good picks to become a true contender in 3/4 years (when Hayward's contract/batum dead money expires).

It's obviously easier for foreigners (if i take my own case) to say so - and it's not tanking more than 2022 and 2023 if 2022 does not fix the needs- than for long time fans who just want to want their team pile up the wins column now but one good (or even star) player does not guarantee anything.
At least everyone wants to see the franchise win, it's just a matter of when.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,238

Post#107 » by amcoolio » Sat May 8, 2021 1:47 pm

I have a sinking feeling we fall to the 9th seed and then get ass blasted in the play-in game and pick 10th. Its inevitable
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Braggins
RealGM

Post#108 » by Braggins » Sat May 8, 2021 4:15 pm

I just don't think there is much to be gained from the experience of getting curb stomped by Embiid. We've been in the position before where we snuck into the playoffs to be first round fodder and it didn't do anything to propel the team to the next level. I'd rather pick a few spots higher in the draft and not risk anyone getting injured in a futile effort. The small chance of moving up in the draft is a nice bonus.

The only reason I'm hoping they miss out this year because of how screwed we got by injuries. Our core hasn't been able to play together pretty much at all for the entire second half of the season and Hayward still probably isn't going to be fully healthy by the playoffs. It just isn't our year. It sucks, because I legit think this team could have won a playoff series this year if they didn't catch so many bad breaks. I think with reasonable health they would have been a 4/5 seed and could have potentially had a competitive series even if they fell to 6th.

Edit:
I think an actual full-on tank is pretty much off the table. The Hayward signing in addition to multiple young players breaking out, or semi-breaking out, means this team would have to make a slew of trades to get into serious contention for a top pick and I just can't see the front office going that route when the team is as good as it is. I would have preferred to never sign Hayward and go a more semi-tanking route for a couple years, but it is what it is.

We were the 5th youngest team in the league this year and we got hit about as hard as anyone with injuries and are still poised to make the playoffs, so while its true that the team really doesn't have a true second star to pair with LaMelo, we still have quite a bit of young talent and aren't necessarily in dire need of a full-on tank like I felt we were throughout basically the entire Cho/Clifford/Kemba era.
Robot Rock
Starter
And1: 939

Post#109 » by Robot Rock » Mon May 10, 2021 2:44 am

We’re ending up 11th, unless by some miracle someone else beats the Bulls.
Robot Rock
Starter

Post#110 » by Robot Rock » Mon May 10, 2021 2:46 am

Braggins wrote:It just isn't our year. It sucks, because I legit think this team could have won a playoff series this year if they didn't catch so many bad breaks. I think with reasonable health they would have been a 4/5 seed and could have potentially had a competitive series even if they fell to 6th.

Sadly, it is never our year.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,407

Post#111 » by Hornet Mania » Mon May 10, 2021 5:35 pm

Robot Rock wrote:We’re ending up 11th, unless by some miracle someone else beats the Bulls.

I find it very hard to believe Chicago can beat the Nets twice + Bucks over the next four games. Nets/Bucks are within 1 game of each other with homecourt in the semifinals on the line, I expect they'll at least give an honest effort in all those games.

It does look more and more likely we'll be in the lower play-in game though :(
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#112 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue May 11, 2021 2:17 am

Wizards lost to Hawks. Up 1.5 over Wizards with the tiebreaker. Need Hawks to beat them again Wednesday. Sucks that Brown is done for the Celtics, but also helps us if we play them in the play in tourney
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#113 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue May 11, 2021 11:07 am

Pacers next 3 are Philly Milwaukee and Lakers with LeBron back.
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 867

Post#114 » by Chapelchilla » Tue May 11, 2021 5:00 pm

Braggins wrote:I just don't think there is much to be gained from the experience of getting curb stomped by Embiid. We've been in the position before where we snuck into the playoffs to be first round fodder and it didn't do anything to propel the team to the next level. I'd rather pick a few spots higher in the draft and not risk anyone getting injured in a futile effort. The small chance of moving up in the draft is a nice bonus.

The only reason I'm hoping they miss out this year because of how screwed we got by injuries. Our core hasn't been able to play together pretty much at all for the entire second half of the season and Hayward still probably isn't going to be fully healthy by the playoffs. It just isn't our year. It sucks, because I legit think this team could have won a playoff series this year if they didn't catch so many bad breaks. I think with reasonable health they would have been a 4/5 seed and could have potentially had a competitive series even if they fell to 6th.

Edit:
I think an actual full-on tank is pretty much off the table. The Hayward signing in addition to multiple young players breaking out, or semi-breaking out, means this team would have to make a slew of trades to get into serious contention for a top pick and I just can't see the front office going that route when the team is as good as it is. I would have preferred to never sign Hayward and go a more semi-tanking route for a couple years, but it is what it is.

We were the 5th youngest team in the league this year and we got hit about as hard as anyone with injuries and are still poised to make the playoffs, so while its true that the team really doesn't have a true second star to pair with LaMelo, we still have quite a bit of young talent and aren't necessarily in dire need of a full-on tank like I felt we were throughout basically the entire Cho/Clifford/Kemba era.

Agreed, No way we should tank next year. We were damn good until almost everybody got hurt. I think that was mostly fluky type stuff due to the condensed schedule, COVID and having younger guys. We can't waste Ball's time here on bad teams if we wan't to keep him. We have a good bit of talent across the board when healthy and just need a legit big in the draft or FA and some more shooting depth. Picking 11ish or winning the lottery could help a lot. Kupchak has been getting us good talent wherever he picks for the most part. Get a good big in FA/Draft and we are legitimately top 5 in the East, maybe more as the young guys grow up together.
Braggins
RealGM

Post#115 » by Braggins » Tue May 11, 2021 5:44 pm

Chapelchilla wrote:
Spoiler:
Braggins wrote:I just don't think there is much to be gained from the experience of getting curb stomped by Embiid. We've been in the position before where we snuck into the playoffs to be first round fodder and it didn't do anything to propel the team to the next level. I'd rather pick a few spots higher in the draft and not risk anyone getting injured in a futile effort. The small chance of moving up in the draft is a nice bonus.

Edit:

Agreed, No way we should tank next year. We were damn good until almost everybody got hurt. I think that was mostly fluky type stuff due to the condensed schedule, COVID and having younger guys. We can't waste Ball's time here on bad teams if we wan't to keep him. We have a good bit of talent across the board when healthy and just need a legit big in the draft or FA and some more shooting depth. Picking 11ish or winning the lottery could help a lot. Kupchak has been getting us good talent wherever he picks for the most part. Get a good big in FA/Draft and we are legitimately top 5 in the East, maybe more as the young guys grow up together.

I think we have good shooting depth. Rozier, Hayward, Monk, and PJ, are all over 40%. Ball has exceeded everyone's expectations as a shooter and should improve. Devonte is a pretty good outside shooter and I think theres a good chance his efficiency increases if Borrego reduces his role to what I think it should be. Jalen isn't great, but is improving and at the very least is pretty good from the corner. I don't think more shooting is a big priority. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have another cheap shooting option off the bench, but I am hoping that Arnoldas Kulboka can come over next season and be that guy.

I agree that they just need solutions at the 5. I'd like to see them find a stopgap solution with someone like Theis or Richaun Holmes in free agency and then also get someone in the draft that can takeover in a couple years.

I think Borrego needs to do a better job of balancing minutes once the team is finally healthy. There is no reason for Terry and Gordon to be playing 34mpg with the depth we have and Devonte shouldn't be getting 30mpg for multiple reasons. We should be taking advantage of having a deep rotation everywhere except center. Moving forward I don't think anyone other than LaMelo should be getting over 30mpg and I'd still like to see him in the low 30s during the regular season.
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 867

Post#116 » by Chapelchilla » Tue May 11, 2021 10:19 pm

Braggins wrote:
Chapelchilla wrote:
Spoiler:

Edit:

I think we have good shooting depth. Rozier, Hayward, Monk, and PJ, are all over 40%. Ball has exceeded everyone's expectations as a shooter and should improve. Devonte is a pretty good outside shooter and I think theres a good chance his efficiency increases if Borrego reduces his role to what I think it should be. Jalen isn't great, but is improving and at the very least is pretty good from the corner. I don't think more shooting is a big priority. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have another cheap shooting option off the bench, but I am hoping that Arnoldas Kulboka can come over next season and be that guy.

I agree that they just need solutions at the 5. I'd like to see them find a stopgap solution with someone like Theis or Richaun Holmes in free agency and then also get someone in the draft that can takeover in a couple years.

I think Borrego needs to do a better job of balancing minutes once the team is finally healthy. There is no reason for Terry and Gordon to be playing 34mpg with the depth we have and Devonte shouldn't be getting 30mpg for multiple reasons. We should be taking advantage of having a deep rotation everywhere except center. Moving forward I don't think anyone other than LaMelo should be getting over 30mpg and I'd still like to see him in the low 30s during the regular season.

well put, I agree with all that. The last time we were actually decent (the 7 game Heat series loss/robbery year) our bench was the difference most nights. They were a really solid second unit. Next year I think we will have even more bench talent. Add Holmes at C and a decent rookie (I like the Aussie kid) and we are DEEP. Develop Carey/Richards/newguy#2. Run teams to death with our young legs and passing.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,123

Post#117 » by JDR720 » Wed May 12, 2021 2:24 am

Read on Twitter
Robot Rock
Starter

Post#118 » by Robot Rock » Wed May 12, 2021 2:29 am

Hell yeah! Even if we’re only there 48 minutes, it beats the hell out of the alternative.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,123

Post#119 » by JDR720 » Wed May 12, 2021 2:40 am

Personally, I think the play-in tournament is stupid.

That is what the regular season is for. A long play-in tournament for the playoffs.
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#120 » by euphorbus » Wed May 12, 2021 3:12 am

JDR720 wrote:Personally, I think the play-in tournament is stupid.

That is what the regular season is for. A long play-in tournament for the playoffs.

I just hope this is the only year we see it. It seems like the powers that be select a kamikaze squadron especially from teams #9 and #10.

Return to Charlotte Hornets