ImageImage

GT: Game #36 - Charlotte @ Portland (Mar 1st)

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,621

Re: GT: Game #36 - Charlotte @ Portland (Mar 1st) 

Post#121 » by fatlever » Tue Mar 2, 2021 3:39 pm

I love JB's offensive philosophy, with the passing and movement. However, I'm not sure he has a clue on defense. Only some of it can be explained by personnel, lack of an interior defensive presence. Where is Gerald Wallace when you need him?

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#122 » by BigSlam » Tue Mar 2, 2021 3:45 pm

Yikes:

Read on Twitter
B B M F 'ers
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#123 » by Snidely FC » Tue Mar 2, 2021 5:14 pm

Melo and Lamelo swap jerseys
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#124 » by DY_nasty » Tue Mar 2, 2021 11:28 pm

BigSlam wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:I mean yeah I figured we'd lose, but its just groundhog day with Portland going 24/46 against us from 3. Something needs to change

i've been saying it man

guys aren't even there. consistently. its not even mainly due to penetration either. its easy passes along the perimeter to wide open players walking into 3s.

whatever we're practicing or drilling into our players' heads is not working. our defense is somehow worse than the sum of its parts.

All of our guys, ALL of them, cheat off their assignments - badly.

All of our guys, ALL of them, are terrible at switching.

Those two things combined are a recipe for disaster (for us) and a roadmap to open shots (for our opposition).

Fixing those two pretty simple and easily correctable things would go a long way in cutting down the number of wide open 3’s we bleed every game.
its not a 'fix' thing

we're doing it intentionally lol. if anything, we're getting BETTER at doing this nonsense
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#125 » by BigSlam » Wed Mar 3, 2021 12:36 am

DY_nasty wrote:
BigSlam wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:i've been saying it man

guys aren't even there. consistently. its not even mainly due to penetration either. its easy passes along the perimeter to wide open players walking into 3s.

whatever we're practicing or drilling into our players' heads is not working. our defense is somehow worse than the sum of its parts.

All of our guys, ALL of them, cheat off their assignments - badly.

Those two things combined are a recipe for disaster (for us) and a roadmap to open shots (for our opposition).

Fixing those two pretty simple and easily correctable things would go a long way in cutting down the number of wide open 3’s we bleed every game.
its not a 'fix' thing

we're doing it intentionally lol. if anything, we're getting BETTER at doing this nonsense

I meant the coaches need to fix it.

What I said above, because it literally happens every single game, would appear to be a coaching directive and a part of the game plan.

Fixing the game plan should be easy. The hard part is getting players to execute it.
B B M F 'ers
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#126 » by DY_nasty » Wed Mar 3, 2021 12:54 am

BigSlam wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:
BigSlam wrote:All of our guys, ALL of them, cheat off their assignments - badly.

its not a 'fix' thing

What I said above, because it literally happens every single game, would appear to be a coaching directive and a part of the game plan.

Fixing the game plan should be easy. The hard part is getting players to execute it.

i think we are 'fixing' it and have been since the beginning of the season.

we are practicing and reinforcing bad defense. we're too good and consistent at being awful for it to be simple individual mistakes anymore.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#127 » by BigSlam » Wed Mar 3, 2021 1:50 am

DY_nasty wrote:
BigSlam wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:its not a 'fix' thing

we are practicing and reinforcing bad defense. we're too good and consistent at being awful for it to be simple individual mistakes anymore.

You see where I keep saying it’s the game plan and not individual players - right?

It’s apparent the players are doing what they are told, because they all do it.

What they are being told is what needs to be fixed, which should be easy to do.

Stay at home on your assignment = stop cheating off him.

Switch with intent when you find yourself in a mismatch = don’t stand still or have two guys left guarding 1 player.
B B M F 'ers
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#128 » by DY_nasty » Wed Mar 3, 2021 3:50 am

BigSlam wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:
BigSlam wrote:I meant the coaches need to fix it.

You see where I keep saying it’s the game plan and not individual players - right?

It’s apparent the players are doing what they are told, because they all do it.

What they are being told is what needs to be fixed, which should be easy to do.

Stay at home on your assignment = stop cheating off him.

Switch with intent when you find yourself in a mismatch = don’t stand still or have two guys left guarding 1 player.

no i get it

i just want to emphasize that whatever we've been practicing is making the issue worse. our coaching staff thinks what they work on week after week is making things better. scheme-stuff typically gets better as the season goes on, not worse.

i don't believe our staff has the ability to grasp the problem. let alone fix it.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,238

Post#129 » by amcoolio » Wed Mar 3, 2021 5:00 pm

Again, until Borrego has the balls to fire Triano this won't change. This defense is a hallmark of Triano's history, so I'm willing to bet that Borrego delegated defense to Triano
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#130 » by BigSlam » Wed Mar 3, 2021 5:10 pm

amcoolio wrote:Again, until Borrego has the balls to fire Triano this won't change. This defense is a hallmark of Triano's history, so I'm willing to bet that Borrego delegated defense to Triano

Except Triano has nothing to do with the defence, as yosemiteben pointed out the other day:

“I allow my coaches — I trust them — to put together a good game plan,” Hornets Coach James Borrego said. “I take in that information, I digest it, and obviously I make the final decisions. But I trust them to help me make those decisions.”

Three of the assistant coaches — Jay Triano, Ronald Nored and Nick Friedman — focus on the team’s offense, while the other three — Chad Iske, Dutch Gaitley and Nate Mitchell — prioritize defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers

Return to Charlotte Hornets