ImageImage

GT: Game #43 - Charlotte @ Clippers (Mar 20th)

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Re: GT: Game #43 - Charlotte @ Clippers (Mar 20th) 

Post#121 » by DY_nasty » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:50 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:I find it odd how people can talk about Hayward having an off 4 of 5 game stretch but defend Devonte Graham who has literally been the worst shooting point guard to get consistent minutes since Ricky Rubio when he came into the league as a teenager.

you ain't wrong

i'll be open and say my batum ptsd is strong and irrational though
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,634

Post#122 » by yosemiteben » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:47 am

Braggins wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:Monk hasn't shown anywhere close to the consistency that it would take for me to blame JB for Monk dropping off the radar.

who has been consistent since the all star break

You are forgetting the golden rule of Hornets basketball, which is that standards, expectations, and accountability only apply to Malik Monk and he must be punished as often as possible. He just hasn't proven to be as consistent as the guy shooting 37% from the field for his career that hes directly losing minutes and touches to.

Yawn

First off, I think Devonte catches too much shade but I'm far from a homer. For me at worst he's a cheap safe backup PG, and at best he's a really nice backup PG that can give starter production of necessary.

By contrast, Monk at best is a top tier microwave scorer but at worst doesn't belong on the roster. When he looks to be checked out, Monk has absolutely not earned the right to have other guys get blamed. Consistency has been an issue for him since he came to Charlotte, and if he's not shooting he hasn't shown much interest in doing anything else.

Devonte can contribute without scoring. Monk can't.

I would be fine with trading either of them, and I don't think it will make sense to keep both of them.
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#123 » by DY_nasty » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:56 am

the monk hate is just weird at this point. he's gonna need a lot more games of shooting absolutely terrible to catch up with graham

i get the gordon scrutiny but at the end of the day, circling the wagons on some guys instead of others is plain cringe
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#124 » by yosemiteben » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:00 am

Monk has never had a consistent season. It's not hate, it's just the truth. He himself admitted he has checked out and had to learn to grow up and earn his role. It feels like that has regressed a bit lately.

I don't care too much about Graham, but he's got the highest +/- on the team and he can organize an offense. He's not worth paying much but he's productive. That can't always be said of Monk.
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#125 » by DY_nasty » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:09 am

yosemiteben wrote:Monk has never had a consistent season. It's not hate, it's just the truth. He himself admitted he has checked out and had to learn to grow up and earn his role. It feels like that has regressed a bit lately.

I don't care too much about Graham, but he's got the highest +/- on the team and he can organize an offense. He's not worth paying much but he's productive. That can't always be said of Monk.

graham didn't even have a full good season either

and if graham can organize an offense, then why is everyone more inconsistent now that he's back? im not gonna put a whole loss on him obviously but when you imply he's got such an effect then it should show up every once in a while
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#126 » by euphorbus » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:21 am

euphorbus wrote:Mr. Jordan. You need to fire your coach.

I've seen athletes stay in, go back in, when they are injured. The coaches do not do a damn thing. Only later do the players discover, like Klay Thompson, that they had season-ending injuries that might not have been so bad if they had sought treatment immediately.

Out for the season. LaMelo could easily have aggravated the wrist by playing hurt.
CuseMayne
Sixth Man
And1: 1,372

Post#127 » by CuseMayne » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:36 am

euphorbus wrote:
euphorbus wrote:Mr. Jordan. You need to fire your coach.

I've seen athletes stay in, go back in, when they are injured. The coaches do not do a damn thing. Only later do the players discover, like Klay Thompson, that they had season-ending injuries that might not have been so bad if they had sought treatment immediately.

Out for the season. LaMelo could easily have aggravated the wrist by playing hurt.

You called it man. And we deserve a damn good explanation as to why he was out there for a long stretch, pulled for like a minute, then reinserted in that third quarter with the game far and away over. JB didn't properly rationalize it in the postgame interview, and he needs to explain himself soon. What an enormous bummer that he's out for the season now, and even if him playing those unnecessary minutes didn't exacerbate the injury, it's still a horrendous showing of decision-making from JB and you can't convince me otherwise. I was baffled during the game, and now it just feels like a complete and total letdown. I said after the game that JB had lost me until further notice, well now I'm not sure how he deserves to keep his job really...
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#128 » by yosemiteben » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:55 am

I'm sure the trainer said he was fine, LaMelo said he was fine, and JB was like ok. I highly doubt they told him he might have broken his wrist or that it could get worse by playing and JB was like "**** it, I don't care, get back in there."
CuseMayne
Sixth Man
And1: 1,372

Post#129 » by CuseMayne » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:45 pm

yosemiteben wrote:I'm sure the trainer said he was fine, LaMelo said he was fine, and JB was like ok. I highly doubt they told him he might have broken his wrist or that it could get worse by playing and JB was like "**** it, I don't care, get back in there."

That last part of what you said says it all. Why wouldn't you be super cautious and protect your franchise player when he was rebounding, passing and shooting exclusively with his left hand?? In an absolute blowout no less! As the head coach you're the literal authority on who plays and who doesn't. He saw him holding his wrist every play. We were down 25+. Take him the hell out. "F it, I don't care???" What???? I was screaming at the TV to get him outta there once it was crystal clear the hand was really bothering him. The trainer can say he's fine and the player will obviously say he's fine, players always insist that they're good to go. But make the executive decision to take him out when we're down damn near 30. Even without the injury he probably shouldn't have even been in there at that juncture. Maybe I just "care" more than the coach of the team.

Return to Charlotte Hornets