ImageImage

Little Swaggy: The Kelly Oubre Jr Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,246

Re: Welcome to Charlotte: Kelly Oubre Jr (FA Signing) 

Post#81 » by luciano-davidwesley » Fri Aug 6, 2021 11:45 pm

Just a heads up. Warriors RealGM posters seem quite happy he is gone.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,034

Post#82 » by JDR720 » Fri Aug 6, 2021 11:53 pm

luciano-davidwesley wrote:Just a heads up. Warriors RealGM posters seem quite happy he is gone.

I view him as Monk's replacement. A bench volume scorer. He isn't very good at most other things.

Not a great 3pt shooter.
Poor passer.
Average defender.

I think he'll average 12/6/2 on 45/33/75 for about 25MPG. Backing up SF and SG.

It'll be interesting to see if he does better (mainly on 3pt%) in our pass heavy offense or he ends up being a blackhole.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,460

Post#83 » by KembaWalker » Sat Aug 7, 2021 12:08 am

luciano-davidwesley wrote:Just a heads up. Warriors RealGM posters seem quite happy he is gone.

Warriors expected a high quality starter that could plug in with the splash bros and get them to contender status.

we expect a guy that can give us some energy off the bench for a couple years while we wait for Melo to develop
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#84 » by BigSlam » Sat Aug 7, 2021 1:15 am

LofJ wrote:Oubre was playing against starters, that's huge difference compared to Cody Martin. I don't like Oubre as a starter, but off the bench I'm a believer. He plays with energy and aggression, I think it's an ideal role for him.

Oubre as a starter (149 games):
32mins
16ppg (44/34/75)
6rpg
1apg

Oubre as a sub (254 games):
21mins
9ppg (43/31/78)
3rpg
1apg
B B M F 'ers
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,509

Post#85 » by LofJ » Sat Aug 7, 2021 1:29 am

BigSlam wrote:
LofJ wrote:Oubre was playing against starters, that's huge difference compared to Cody Martin. I don't like Oubre as a starter, but off the bench I'm a believer. He plays with energy and aggression, I think it's an ideal role for him.

Oubre as a starter (149 games):
32mins
16ppg (44/34/75)
6rpg
1apg

Oubre as a sub (254 games):
21mins
9ppg (43/31/78)
3rpg
1apg

No discernable difference there, but it's the offseason and Oubre has been humbled this summer. I think there's reason to be hopeful.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#86 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Sat Aug 7, 2021 1:49 am

I like the Oubre signing.

It gives the team a great deal of lineup flexibility and will enable Rozier to play minutes at PG, without the team needing Bouknight to be NBA ready day 1.

Oubre enables the team to have big lineups like Ball, Oubre, Hayward, PJ/Bridges, & Plumlee.

In the event that Ball, Rozier, or Hayward are injured Oubre can be a temporary starter without the huge dropoff the team had last year when one or more of those guys were out.

His contract is easily slottable into trades, and not so long that it will have a negative impact on the team.

What I'm down about is that this likely means that we will not get to see Bouknight play as much. I was looking forward to seeing what the guy could do and how he looked playing with LaMelo. We'll probably see some of that, but just not as much, especially early in the year.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 964

Post#87 » by wilson115 » Sat Aug 7, 2021 1:54 am

3:20 Then you go from Phoenix to OKC and then Golden State. What were your thoughts on your past season in Golden State?

Oubre: I was coming from a place where the culture was steadily forming. It was a young squad with a lot of youth and energy. A lot of untapped potential within that Phoenix squad that was only two years ago. To go to an organization like the Warriors, who already had a culture already set and they already pretty much are used to doing things how they’ve been doing things for the past years that’s worked for them. It was a different change for me to come to a different culture that was already set. It takes some time to get used to people and to know people. To try to force and rush that process, it kind of makes it a little inorganic a bit. That’s what you have to do in a short time in this league to pretty much prove yourself to stay longer. It’s all about getting that nod to be around for a very long time. I tried to soak up as much knowledge from those guys as possible. I think that it helped me in my leadership skills, even though my role was decreased this past season. I feel like I learned a lot more of how to be a leader on the team.

7:03 Now, you’re going to decide your future as a free agent. What are you looking for in free agency?

Oubre: I’m really just looking to make the best decision with my team and my family, that’s best for us. Obviously, I want to be a leader, and I want to continue to expand my game, grow and spread my wings. I want to continue to show all the things I’m capable of and not be put in a box. I felt like the universe was trying to put me in a box last year. It’s something that always clashes because it’s a big deal whenever I’m trying to be put in a box because I can’t be put in a box. I’m goiny to continue to show you and prove to you why you shouldn’t put me in a box. I think that just fueled me to work harder this summer and to come back next year and be a better all-around player. As far as the business side, I can’t control that. All I can do is wait for August to roll around with my team and us to really handle the business side. I just want to go somewhere that I can spread my wings and continue to grow and be a focal point in the culture.

10:18 What type of system are you best suited to play in to maximize your potential?

Oubre: A highly emphasized defensive culture. A championship-winning culture. Being able to emphasize turning defense into offense and team basketball. A spread open floor, size, versatility. Things like that. I don’t know who that may be, but there are a lot of organizations out there that are going in that direction, so I think I can seamlessly fit into any one of those.

11:13 What have you been working on with your trainer Drew Hanlen this summer to improve?

Oubre: I’m taking it back to my fundamentals and back to the basics. More so working on my handles, my ball pickup, shooting a lot of reps from three and mid-range. A lot of fades and mid-range work. Me creating and getting to my spots. For me, I have the tools. It’s just about connecting my mind and my body together, and making it more effective in the game, and making the right reads. Working on my overall game, but it’s the basic fundamentals that’ll carry me for the long run.

https://hoopshype.com/lists/kelly-oubre-jr-nba-free-agency-interview/
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,165

Post#88 » by SWedd523 » Sat Aug 7, 2021 2:17 am

wilson115 wrote:
I want to continue to show all the things I’m capable of and not be put in a box. I felt like the universe was trying to put me in a box last year. It’s something that always clashes because it’s a big deal whenever I’m trying to be put in a box because I can’t be put in a box. I’m going to continue to show you and prove to you why you shouldn’t put me in a box.

What's in the Box? The Kelly Oubre thread
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 964

Post#89 » by wilson115 » Sat Aug 7, 2021 2:27 am

BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#90 » by BigSlam » Sat Aug 7, 2021 2:42 am

SWedd523 wrote:
wilson115 wrote:
I want to continue to show all the things I’m capable of and not be put in a box. I felt like the universe was trying to put me in a box last year. It’s something that always clashes because it’s a big deal whenever I’m trying to be put in a box because I can’t be put in a box. I’m going to continue to show you and prove to you why you shouldn’t put me in a box.

What's in the Box? The Kelly Oubre thread

If he opts to wear #7 with us, this thread title suggestion is an absolute lock.
B B M F 'ers
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 867

Post#91 » by Chapelchilla » Sat Aug 7, 2021 3:10 am

I don’t need a weatherman to know it’s always raining somewhere, lol.
They have had a great thing going out there in years past but Oubres time in GS wasnt so great due to the injuries. I’m sure they are glad that whole era is over. Bringing back Iggy, a healthy Klay, a rededicated draymond, Wiseman and some good rookies coming in and a big contract signed ready for redemption Curry coming up.
Well, they hope so anyway....
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,219

Post#92 » by amcoolio » Sat Aug 7, 2021 1:58 pm

Golden State relied on Oubre to be their secondary or tertiary scorer last year. That ain't happening here, he's back to his role as a role player/energy wing.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,515

Post#93 » by Bassman » Sat Aug 7, 2021 5:23 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
wilson115 wrote:

Livin’ In A Box - The Kelly Oubre Jr Thread
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,034

Post#94 » by JDR720 » Sat Aug 7, 2021 5:29 pm

Read on Twitter
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,634

Post#95 » by yosemiteben » Sat Aug 7, 2021 9:53 pm

Read on Twitter

Now this I like
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#96 » by BigSlam » Sat Aug 7, 2021 10:34 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
Read on Twitter

Now this I like

What a sensational use of cap leverage. Load up the front so the other team can't match then make it friendly to us on the back end.

Very, very well played by the Dude.
B B M F 'ers
CuseMayne
Sixth Man
And1: 1,372

Post#97 » by CuseMayne » Sat Aug 7, 2021 11:10 pm

The Dude has simply put on a clinic this offseason. Boy are we lucky to have him.
BleedGreen1989
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,776

Post#98 » by BleedGreen1989 » Sun Aug 8, 2021 12:14 pm

Love this signing for you guys.

Low risk, high upside. Oubre is talented and has shown he can put it together. All he’ll need to do is run the floor, throw down some highlight dunks courtesy of LaMelo, and bring his energy.

He’s going to swing some games simply with his energy. You can poke holes in his IQ, but can’t question his effort. Kelly plays hard all of the time.
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#99 » by BlackOutBuzz » Sun Aug 8, 2021 1:48 pm

Read on Twitter

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#100 » by BigSlam » Sun Aug 8, 2021 7:35 pm

Read on Twitter
B B M F 'ers

Return to Charlotte Hornets