ImageImage

Little Swaggy: The Kelly Oubre Jr Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Roll Tide 09
Bench Warmer
And1: 439

Re: Little Swaggy: The Kelly Oubre Jr Thread 

Post#141 » by Roll Tide 09 » Thu Jan 6, 2022 5:51 am

I’ve liked this signing from Day 1. But do y’all feel like this could end up being long term?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
IG: @theonlylogicalthinker
IG: @arisethecompany

Twitter: @arisethecompany

Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,406

Post#142 » by Hornet Mania » Thu Jan 6, 2022 1:29 pm

Roll Tide 09 wrote:I’ve liked this signing from Day 1. But do y’all feel like this could end up being long term?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Naw, personally I doubt it. Oubre's value was deflated by bad seasons in PHX/GSW and he was unexpectedly the best wing Mitch could get with the cap space that was left this summer.

By the time Oubre's 2yr deal expires he'll get better money than we can offer, assuming he plays this well all the way until 2023, and Mitch will have his hands full fitting some combo of Miles/Cody/PJ/McDaniels under the cap while also planning for Melo's extension.

I'm enjoying Mandime while I can though. He's balls to the wall at all times, I can see why other fan bases soured on him but for us we need the irrational confidence vet.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,654

Post#143 » by yosemiteben » Thu Jan 6, 2022 2:35 pm

I'm pretty torn on Oubre because while it's super fun when he goes supernova like last night, his defense is wretched and I think the smart move is to sell high on him and get a true 3&D in exchange. He's extremely available for me in trades.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#144 » by JMAC3 » Thu Jan 6, 2022 2:59 pm

yosemiteben wrote:I'm pretty torn on Oubre because while it's super fun when he goes supernova like last night, his defense is wretched and I think the smart move is to sell high on him and get a true 3&D in exchange. He's extremely available for me in trades.

I agree his off- ball defense is poor, but he also does a lot of things well. His on ball defense is also solid at times especially vs smaller guards where his length can cause issues. Obviously he is an elite shooter when on, but his cutting is nice with Hayward and Melo finding him (last night had a nice baseline cut for a dunk). He also is nice insurance in case Gordon goes down with an injury (which fingers crossed doesn't happen).

Getting another 3D wing to come off the bench doesn't make a ton of sense to me, we already have hustle/defense guys on that unit in McDaniels and Martin. Adding another defensive wing that struggles to score consistently is going to completely bog down that unit.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
bravor
Starter
And1: 737

Post#145 » by bravor » Thu Jan 6, 2022 3:23 pm

Been thinking about it (not just me, Lolj is one who likes him too) versus K. Anderson.
He's expiring for Memphis and even though Bane is awesome, he could be another scoring option for them considering their defense does not need KA a lot.

A kinda dream scenario would be Clarke+Anderson for Oubre + filler. Even if Clarke is not a long term starter. At least he plays on both ends despite his shortcomings.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#146 » by JMAC3 » Thu Jan 6, 2022 3:32 pm

bravor wrote:Been thinking about it (not just me, Lolj is one who likes him too) versus K. Anderson.
He's expiring for Memphis and even though Bane is awesome, he could be another scoring option for them considering their defense does not need KA a lot.

A kinda dream scenario would be Clarke+Anderson for Oubre + filler. Even if Clarke is not a long term starter. At least he plays on both ends despite his shortcomings.

Kyle Anderson has scored single digits in 21 out of 33 games this year.

So our second unit would be Ish, Martin, Anderson, McDaniels and PJ. We would lose each quarter this team played together 20-12 LOL

Oubre also fits with starters better as an athlete who can run with Terry and Melo. Anderson is slow and doesn't fit the pace we want to play at.
Big Board
bravor
Starter
And1: 737

Post#147 » by bravor » Thu Jan 6, 2022 3:49 pm

No the idea would be to start KA along Ball & Hayward at the wing. And use Rozier as 6th man with another defensive wing (Cody).
As for Anderson, even if he's not in his prime anymore, he's still ahead defensively of anyone not named C. Martin in this roster. Not sure what are the reasons to laugh about when Hornets defense is one of the worst of this league
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#148 » by yosemiteben » Thu Jan 6, 2022 5:39 pm

JMAC3 wrote:I agree his off- ball defense is poor, but he also does a lot of things well. His on ball defense is also solid at times especially vs smaller guards where his length can cause issues.

I actually don't agree with this. If you watch Oubre on a play by play basis, he doesn't get stops and he constantly plays matadore D. It's painful to watch. He constantly goes for reach around poke outs that miss or just outright lets guys go by him.

JMAC3 wrote:He also is nice insurance in case Gordon goes down with an injury (which fingers crossed doesn't happen).

He's not though because our problem is not offense, it's defense, and we'd get worse with Oubre logging more minutes.

JMAC3 wrote:Getting another 3D wing to come off the bench doesn't make a ton of sense to me, we already have hustle/defense guys on that unit in McDaniels and Martin. Adding another defensive wing that struggles to score consistently is going to completely bog down that unit.

Then change the rotation. Our problem is we are legit one of the worst defenses in the league. I don't want to hear about how we have too many defensive guys or that we're going to bog down our league leading offense by trying to address our glaring defensive issues.

We have to do something about our D.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#149 » by BigSlam » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:03 pm

No Little Swaggy over the next week makes me sad.

Read on Twitter
B B M F 'ers
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,621

Post#150 » by fatlever » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:38 pm

The curse is fighting back. It will not go quietly into the night.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,247

Post#151 » by luciano-davidwesley » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:48 pm

BigSlam wrote:No Little Swaggy over the next week makes me sad.

Read on Twitter

Usually 1 person going into Covid protocols means there is more coming for that team. Lets hope not.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#152 » by JMAC3 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:46 am

yosemiteben wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:I agree his off- ball defense is poor, but he also does a lot of things well. His on ball defense is also solid at times especially vs smaller guards where his length can cause issues.

I actually don't agree with this. If you watch Oubre on a play by play basis, he doesn't get stops and he constantly plays matadore D. It's painful to watch. He constantly goes for reach around poke outs that miss or just outright lets guys go by him.

JMAC3 wrote:He also is nice insurance in case Gordon goes down with an injury (which fingers crossed doesn't happen).

He's not though because our problem is not offense, it's defense, and we'd get worse with Oubre logging more minutes.

JMAC3 wrote:Getting another 3D wing to come off the bench doesn't make a ton of sense to me, we already have hustle/defense guys on that unit in McDaniels and Martin. Adding another defensive wing that struggles to score consistently is going to completely bog down that unit.

Then change the rotation. Our problem is we are legit one of the worst defenses in the league. I don't want to hear about how we have too many defensive guys or that we're going to bog down our league leading offense by trying to address our glaring defensive issues.

Lamelo, Martin, McDaniels, PJ and Plumlee start second quarter 1/8. not sure your argument of offense will be fine makes much sense here.
Big Board
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#153 » by yosemiteben » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:03 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:

Lamelo, Martin, McDaniels, PJ and Plumlee start second quarter 1/8. not sure your argument of offense will be fine makes much sense here.
Clearly Oubre is the only reason we have the league's best offense and we crater without him
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#154 » by JMAC3 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:24 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
Clearly Oubre is the only reason we have the league's best offense and we crater without him

In terms of second units, yes. Putting Kelly in over Martin, McDaniels or Plumlee in that lineup changes how defenses have to guard us.
Big Board
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#155 » by yosemiteben » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:52 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:

In terms of second units, yes. Putting Kelly in over Martin, McDaniels or Plumlee in that lineup changes how defenses have to guard us.

I mean it's indisputable that we need better defense and have offense to spare. If you want to point to like a four minute portion of one quarter to somehow argue against that, knock yourself out, but it's not a meaningful data point.

It's also kind of ironic because, you know, we held the Bucks to under 100 and won the game. We've only held a team under 100 once in our prior 20 games. To my above point, this specific game isn't really a meaningful data point (i.e., not having KO isn't a direct reason for that defensive outcome), but what is clear is that we have to make rotation or roster moves to improve our defense.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#156 » by JMAC3 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:02 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:Clearly Oubre is the only reason we have the league's best offense and we crater without him

I mean it's indisputable that we need better defense and have offense to spare. If you want to point to like a four minute portion of one quarter to somehow argue against that, knock yourself out, but it's not a meaningful data point.

It's also kind of ironic because, you know, we held the Bucks to under 100 and won the game. We've only held a team under 100 once in our prior 20 games. To my above point, this specific game isn't really a meaningful data point (i.e., not having KO isn't a direct reason for that defensive outcome), but what is clear is that we have to make rotation or roster moves to improve our defense.

I think we all agree we need to improve center position and that will fix a lot of our issues on defense. I just don't think an athletic, 6-7 wing is our defensive issue. We have a young roster (5th youngest at start of year) and traditionally young teams are not good on defense... especially when they lack rim protection.

However, I think we have the right pieces in place to be a good defensive team longterm. Our pg is going to be a really good defensive player in a year or 2. He has length, legit foot speed to stay in front of players and elite ball hawk abilities. Terry isn't good on defense but he is an underrated athlete. Gordon is a solid defender with size, smart team defender. Bridges has all the tools to be elite defender. Kelly is uber athletic and has plus size. PJ is a really good defender as well at times when he is locked in.

There are nights and stretches of games where we are really good on defense, but when we have to collapse to help we give up a bunch of threes. Having a better big would allow us to stay home more on defense with less rotations and force our opponents into more contested 2s instead of letting them live at rim (3rd most fg made against per game) and the three (also 3rd most fg made against per game).
Big Board
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#157 » by yosemiteben » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:20 am

I challenge you to watch Oubre on defense when he's playing, like really focus on him.

His D is truly embarrassing and he's definitely contributing to our inability to get steps when he's on the floor.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#158 » by JMAC3 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:06 pm

yosemiteben wrote:I challenge you to watch Oubre on defense when he's playing, like really focus on him.

His D is truly embarrassing and he's definitely contributing to our inability to get steps when he's on the floor.

Sure, but its the NBA and if you watch anyone like that they are going to get beat. Hence why scoring is so high, too many good offensive players and NBA teams understand how to space the floor properly. If you watch LaMelo I promise you will start to hate his defense or the same with Rozier... I don't think watching Kelly and ticking every time he gets beat is really as productive as you might think.
Big Board
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#159 » by yosemiteben » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:28 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:I challenge you to watch Oubre on defense when he's playing, like really focus on him.

Sure, but its the NBA and if you watch anyone like that they are going to get beat.

Not really though. Watch Cody. Watch Jalen. Watch PJ. Watch Miles. Then watch Oubre. It's night and day.

I'm telling you - he's awful. There's a reason that he's a legit 6MOY candidate that also can struggle to be kept on the floor, if his shot isn't on he's borderline unplayable.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#160 » by JMAC3 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:09 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:

Sure, but its the NBA and if you watch anyone like that they are going to get beat.

Not really though. Watch Cody. Watch Jalen. Watch PJ. Watch Miles. Then watch Oubre. It's night and day.

I'm telling you - he's awful. There's a reason that he's a legit 6MOY candidate that also can struggle to be kept on the floor, if his shot isn't on he's borderline unplayable.

Okay man. I watch the games and Oubre is fine on defense. Especially on the ball. If he wasn't teams would be hunting him down looking to put him in pick and roll or isolating vs him, but watch the games they don't do that. You act like he is out there getting picked on like Doug McDermott or Denzel Valentine.

Is he out of position sometimes? Yes. Is his rotations slow sometimes? Yes. However, you can find the same thing with a bunch of our guys including McDaniels, Bridges, LaMelo etc...

I really think you're on a witch hunt here. I just watched several full game highlights and Oubre defense wasn't any worse than the rest of the team.
Big Board

Return to Charlotte Hornets