ImageImage

Hawks fan coming in peace

Moderators: fatlever, yosemiteben, JDR720, Diop, BigSlam

User avatar
Sothron
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,503
And1: 2,195
Joined: Oct 27, 2001
       

Hawks fan coming in peace 

Post#1 » by Sothron » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:27 pm

So I've been a fan of the NBA since 1979 and while I'm a die hard Hawks fan I also root for other teams because I love basketball as a sport more than any one single team. My dad coached basketball and I was lucky enough as a 5'9" white guy to be a starting point guard in Division 3 basketball. best years of my life.

So for the Hornets I've been a low key fan since Grandmama and Zo was there with Gill, Curry and the awesome Muggsy teams. I know Hawks and Hornets are somewhat geographical rivals but all that mean for me back in teh day was that I could watch both Hawks and Hornets games for years until they region coded everything and then I was stuck to watching league pass or early streaming.

Anyways, I just want to say that you guys have a tremendously good young team on your hands. Ball, Hayward and Bridges are ballers and Rozier is as tough a 6'1" guy can be in this league. PJ is a good sixth man and Oubre, crazy hair besides the point, can definitely fill it up as a sixth man. I'm not sold on Mason as a center and to me that's the biggest hole in your team. On 2k22 I traded him to get Holmes from SAC but that's 2k lol.

One thing does worry me though and I wonder if you guys have any information on this. Will MJ pay Miles Bridges to stay in Charlotte? I can't remember the last time a Hornet/Bobcat player was good enough (not being rude here just being honest God knows the Hawks haven't had guys either the last 20 years) for a max or near max deal. Is the plan for him to stay there? I know MJ hasn't been the best at spending on the Hornets. If you guys have heard anything just curious what you heard.

Also, if you don't mind my asking, what other games are the city arena/jerseys going to be used? I have a ton of the old Hornets gear that I still wear and seeing the classic Hornet logo on those city shorts and the AMAZING retro arena in 2k22 had me in the feels. I have never seen such a faithful recreation of an old school feel like that arena is looking on city edition games.
KembaWalker
Head Coach
Posts: 6,554
And1: 3,755
Joined: Dec 22, 2011
   

Re: Hawks fan coming in peace 

Post#2 » by KembaWalker » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:46 pm

we've never had a team or player worthy of a supermax, but I've never seen any indication we'd let a home grown star go for nothing.
Kemba was different because we knew his knees were shot and we were able to Rozier as a younger/better replacement for less money so that was a no brainer (even though it hurt to lose him and people trashed on MJ for it at the time)

the only way I see us letting Miles go would be in a sign and trade for an elite big but no idea who that would even be. he plays too well with LaMelo. the team would probably dump Hayward or Rozier off for cap relief before letting Bridges go if it actually came down to that because we have 1st round picks sitting on the bench catching DNPs that will probably be ready to hit the rotation next year
Image
User avatar
Sothron
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,503
And1: 2,195
Joined: Oct 27, 2001
       

Re: Hawks fan coming in peace 

Post#3 » by Sothron » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:58 pm

KembaWalker wrote:we've never had a team or player worthy of a supermax, but I've never seen any indication we'd let a home grown star go for nothing.
Kemba was different because we knew his knees were shot and we were able to Rozier as a younger/better replacement for less money so that was a no brainer (even though it hurt to lose him and people trashed on MJ for it at the time)

the only way I see us letting Miles go would be in a sign and trade for an elite big but no idea who that would even be. he plays too well with LaMelo. the team would probably dump Hayward or Rozier off for cap relief before letting Bridges go if it actually came down to that because we have 1st round picks sitting on the bench catching DNPs that will probably be ready to hit the rotation next year


See, that's kinda what I was wondering. I know Kemba wanted to go so it kinda helped the Kemba/Rozier trade to happen but with Bridges I don't remember MJ having a situation like this. This really reminds me of the Hawks. We didn't have a max guy since Joe Johnson and then when Trae/Collins exploded and our team had that run last year it forced our ownership to actually PAY people. And to their credit they have kept everyone on long term big deals.

But MJ has never had that situation until now. I don't think I need to tell you guys that this Hornets team is on the verge of possibly being special. The only big hole is at center. But will MJ see it that way? Will he pay Bridges? I hope he does. Ball and Bridges are so good together and Hayward is the veteran wing that really meshes the whole unit together. So we as fans can see this and go ok, great, we gotta keep this crew together except maybe swapping Mason out but does MJ see it that way. Has there been any indication from him or Bridges camp about staying?
User avatar
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 17,827
And1: 11,365
Joined: Mar 20, 2013
   

Re: Hawks fan coming in peace 

Post#4 » by yosemiteben » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:08 pm

Sothron wrote:Will MJ pay Miles Bridges to stay in Charlotte? I can't remember the last time a Hornet/Bobcat player was good enough (not being rude here just being honest God knows the Hawks haven't had guys either the last 20 years) for a max or near max deal. Is the plan for him to stay there? I know MJ hasn't been the best at spending on the Hornets.

FWIW, we spent an equivalent of $40M on a free agent Gordon Hayward in summer of 2020.
User avatar
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 49,623
And1: 7,120
Joined: Jul 01, 2005

Re: Hawks fan coming in peace 

Post#5 » by BigSlam » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:34 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
Sothron wrote:Will MJ pay Miles Bridges to stay in Charlotte? I can't remember the last time a Hornet/Bobcat player was good enough (not being rude here just being honest God knows the Hawks haven't had guys either the last 20 years) for a max or near max deal. Is the plan for him to stay there? I know MJ hasn't been the best at spending on the Hornets.

FWIW, we spent an equivalent of $40M on a free agent Gordon Hayward in summer of 2020.

Such a b.s. statement.

“MJ hasn’t been the best at spending on the Hornets”.

Then why are some people so critical of him spending money on the Hornets?

The narrative pivots are maddening.
B B M F 'ers
User avatar
Sothron
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,503
And1: 2,195
Joined: Oct 27, 2001
       

Re: Hawks fan coming in peace 

Post#6 » by Sothron » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:28 am

BigSlam wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:
Sothron wrote:Will MJ pay Miles Bridges to stay in Charlotte? I can't remember the last time a Hornet/Bobcat player was good enough (not being rude here just being honest God knows the Hawks haven't had guys either the last 20 years) for a max or near max deal. Is the plan for him to stay there? I know MJ hasn't been the best at spending on the Hornets.

FWIW, we spent an equivalent of $40M on a free agent Gordon Hayward in summer of 2020.

Such a b.s. statement.

“MJ hasn’t been the best at spending on the Hornets”.

Then why are some people so critical of him spending money on the Hornets?

The narrative pivots are maddening.


Um, what? I'm not critical of MJ spending money to get Hayward. It isn't like MJ though to spend lots of money on the team historically.
User avatar
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 33,434
And1: 14,302
Joined: Jul 24, 2004
Location: Diop Dead Ugly
 

Re: Hawks fan coming in peace 

Post#7 » by Diop » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:43 am

Sothron wrote:
BigSlam wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:FWIW, we spent an equivalent of $40M on a free agent Gordon Hayward in summer of 2020.

Such a b.s. statement.

“MJ hasn’t been the best at spending on the Hornets”.

Then why are some people so critical of him spending money on the Hornets?

The narrative pivots are maddening.


Um, what? I'm not critical of MJ spending money to get Hayward. It isn't like MJ though to spend lots of money on the team historically.

That’s the BS part, he spent a ton on Batum, gave Zeller about $70 mill over 4 years, Marv Williams got $55 over 4 years, big Al got $40 mill over 3 years. He was happy to spend money on that team but it didn’t work out.
Larry Browns Charlotte team cost a lot of money as well, I think it was top 5 salaries or something stupid, which was ridiculous for a team that couldn’t make it out of the first round.

The mj wont spend narrative is false, he’s just had bad people evaluating talent for him.
Image
Hornet Mania
Head Coach
Posts: 6,908
And1: 5,743
Joined: Jul 05, 2014
Location: Dornbirn, Austria
     

Re: Hawks fan coming in peace 

Post#8 » by Hornet Mania » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:48 am

Yeah, MJ has been willing to spend on the roster when the opportunity arises. The only 'insider' claims of him pinching pennies are stuff like scouting and amenities.

I expect we will re-sign Miles, especially if he keeps up this level of play. I could see MJ eating the luxury tax for a year or two and keeping Hayward and Rozier even after maxing Miles, but maybe I'm being overly optimistic. Probably depends a lot on how the team does if/when they reach the playoffs. MJ has wanted a winning team forever and is no doubt a bit embarrassed he hasn't ever built one that lasts. If he finally gets to the 2nd round as an owner I'd bet he will keep the team intact for at least one more year to chase more success. Influx of Melo-related revenue could go a long way toward making that possible.
User avatar
Sothron
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,503
And1: 2,195
Joined: Oct 27, 2001
       

Re: Hawks fan coming in peace 

Post#9 » by Sothron » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:59 am

Hornet Mania wrote:Yeah, MJ has been willing to spend on the roster when the opportunity arises. The only 'insider' claims of him pinching pennies are stuff like scouting and amenities.

I expect we will re-sign Miles, especially if he keeps up this level of play. I could see MJ eating the luxury tax for a year or two and keeping Hayward and Rozier even after maxing Miles, but maybe I'm being overly optimistic. Probably depends a lot on how the team does if/when they reach the playoffs. MJ has wanted a winning team forever and is no doubt a bit embarrassed he hasn't ever built one that lasts. If he finally gets to the 2nd round as an owner I'd bet he will keep the team intact for at least one more year to chase more success. Influx of Melo-related revenue could go a long way toward making that possible.


I sincerely hope this happens. I'm still bitter that George Shinn wouldn't keep the LJ/Zo/Gill team intact. I get the same kind of vibes from this Hornets team. I truly do think they are one upgrade at center away from being a legit scary team.
Hornet Mania
Head Coach
Posts: 6,908
And1: 5,743
Joined: Jul 05, 2014
Location: Dornbirn, Austria
     

Re: Hawks fan coming in peace 

Post#10 » by Hornet Mania » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:07 am

Sothron wrote:
Hornet Mania wrote:Yeah, MJ has been willing to spend on the roster when the opportunity arises. The only 'insider' claims of him pinching pennies are stuff like scouting and amenities.

I expect we will re-sign Miles, especially if he keeps up this level of play. I could see MJ eating the luxury tax for a year or two and keeping Hayward and Rozier even after maxing Miles, but maybe I'm being overly optimistic. Probably depends a lot on how the team does if/when they reach the playoffs. MJ has wanted a winning team forever and is no doubt a bit embarrassed he hasn't ever built one that lasts. If he finally gets to the 2nd round as an owner I'd bet he will keep the team intact for at least one more year to chase more success. Influx of Melo-related revenue could go a long way toward making that possible.


I sincerely hope this happens. I'm still bitter that George Shinn wouldn't keep the LJ/Zo/Gill team intact. I get the same kind of vibes from this Hornets team. I truly do think they are one upgrade at center away from being a legit scary team.


It was brutal from the mid-90s until the team moved. I think we had something like 30 free agents in a row that were not re-signed. Bob Bass, Hornets GM at the time, masterfully managed to keep putting together good teams even as Shinn refused to spend by trading our soon-to-expire stars and starters for other underrated and underpaid stars and starters over and over. Plus a little lotto luck in 99.
User avatar
Sothron
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,503
And1: 2,195
Joined: Oct 27, 2001
       

Re: Hawks fan coming in peace 

Post#11 » by Sothron » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:15 am

Diop wrote:
Sothron wrote:
BigSlam wrote:Such a b.s. statement.

“MJ hasn’t been the best at spending on the Hornets”.

Then why are some people so critical of him spending money on the Hornets?

The narrative pivots are maddening.


Um, what? I'm not critical of MJ spending money to get Hayward. It isn't like MJ though to spend lots of money on the team historically.

That’s the BS part, he spent a ton on Batum, gave Zeller about $70 mill over 4 years, Marv Williams got $55 over 4 years, big Al got $40 mill over 3 years. He was happy to spend money on that team but it didn’t work out.
Larry Browns Charlotte team cost a lot of money as well, I think it was top 5 salaries or something stupid, which was ridiculous for a team that couldn’t make it out of the first round.

The mj wont spend narrative is false, he’s just had bad people evaluating talent for him.


But how long ago was that? I mean the current Hornets have only 3 players making more than 10 million a year on it. I hope MJ does spend on this team because it has a real chance of being something special.
User avatar
Sothron
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,503
And1: 2,195
Joined: Oct 27, 2001
       

Re: Hawks fan coming in peace 

Post#12 » by Sothron » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:17 am

Hornet Mania wrote:
Sothron wrote:
Hornet Mania wrote:Yeah, MJ has been willing to spend on the roster when the opportunity arises. The only 'insider' claims of him pinching pennies are stuff like scouting and amenities.

I expect we will re-sign Miles, especially if he keeps up this level of play. I could see MJ eating the luxury tax for a year or two and keeping Hayward and Rozier even after maxing Miles, but maybe I'm being overly optimistic. Probably depends a lot on how the team does if/when they reach the playoffs. MJ has wanted a winning team forever and is no doubt a bit embarrassed he hasn't ever built one that lasts. If he finally gets to the 2nd round as an owner I'd bet he will keep the team intact for at least one more year to chase more success. Influx of Melo-related revenue could go a long way toward making that possible.


I sincerely hope this happens. I'm still bitter that George Shinn wouldn't keep the LJ/Zo/Gill team intact. I get the same kind of vibes from this Hornets team. I truly do think they are one upgrade at center away from being a legit scary team.


It was brutal from the mid-90s until the team moved. I think we had something like 30 free agents in a row that were not re-signed. Bob Bass, Hornets GM at the time, masterfully managed to keep putting together good teams even as Shinn refused to spend by trading our soon-to-expire stars and starters for other underrated and underpaid stars and starters over and over. Plus a little lotto luck in 99.


Glen Rice was really a lot of fun to watch back then. Vlade and Eddie Jones too. I hate it when a terrible owner basically handicaps a team to a point where it is like shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic.
User avatar
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 33,434
And1: 14,302
Joined: Jul 24, 2004
Location: Diop Dead Ugly
 

Re: Hawks fan coming in peace 

Post#13 » by Diop » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:29 am

Sothron wrote:
Diop wrote:
Sothron wrote:
Um, what? I'm not critical of MJ spending money to get Hayward. It isn't like MJ though to spend lots of money on the team historically.

That’s the BS part, he spent a ton on Batum, gave Zeller about $70 mill over 4 years, Marv Williams got $55 over 4 years, big Al got $40 mill over 3 years. He was happy to spend money on that team but it didn’t work out.
Larry Browns Charlotte team cost a lot of money as well, I think it was top 5 salaries or something stupid, which was ridiculous for a team that couldn’t make it out of the first round.

The mj wont spend narrative is false, he’s just had bad people evaluating talent for him.


But how long ago was that? I mean the current Hornets have only 3 players making more than 10 million a year on it. I hope MJ does spend on this team because it has a real chance of being something special.

It’s cheaper now as we had a needed rebuild, mjs biggest problem is that he’s impatient, thankfully Mitch has been allowed to rebuild properly. Mj will pay for a good team. He was right to not pay kemba as that team was done.
Image
User avatar
Sothron
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,503
And1: 2,195
Joined: Oct 27, 2001
       

Re: Hawks fan coming in peace 

Post#14 » by Sothron » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:34 am

Diop wrote:
Sothron wrote:
Diop wrote:That’s the BS part, he spent a ton on Batum, gave Zeller about $70 mill over 4 years, Marv Williams got $55 over 4 years, big Al got $40 mill over 3 years. He was happy to spend money on that team but it didn’t work out.
Larry Browns Charlotte team cost a lot of money as well, I think it was top 5 salaries or something stupid, which was ridiculous for a team that couldn’t make it out of the first round.

The mj wont spend narrative is false, he’s just had bad people evaluating talent for him.


But how long ago was that? I mean the current Hornets have only 3 players making more than 10 million a year on it. I hope MJ does spend on this team because it has a real chance of being something special.

It’s cheaper now as we had a needed rebuild, mjs biggest problem is that he’s impatient, thankfully Mitch has been allowed to rebuild properly. Mj will pay for a good team. He was right to not pay kemba as that team was done.


I agree with that. The worst thing to be is a mediocre team constantly hovering at eighth seed or a hard 2nd round exit. We've known that for years with the Hawks.
Chapelchilla
Pro Prospect
Posts: 952
And1: 567
Joined: Aug 04, 2014
         

Re: Hawks fan coming in peace 

Post#15 » by Chapelchilla » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:50 pm

The fact that Kemba basically got cut twice and bought out of his contract showed we did the right thing letting him walk when he wanted crazy money on bad knees. Plus, we got Lamelo out of that tank job. I think we will resign Miles unless Klutch wants like 35 Mill plus for him. Then things get iffy. We should just trade PJ for a decent center and build up with the draft. Hayward will likely be gone in a year or two so that leaves money for Melo later.
User avatar
Sothron
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,503
And1: 2,195
Joined: Oct 27, 2001
       

Re: Hawks fan coming in peace 

Post#16 » by Sothron » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:31 pm

Chapelchilla wrote:The fact that Kemba basically got cut twice and bought out of his contract showed we did the right thing letting him walk when he wanted crazy money on bad knees. Plus, we got Lamelo out of that tank job. I think we will resign Miles unless Klutch wants like 35 Mill plus for him. Then things get iffy. We should just trade PJ for a decent center and build up with the draft. Hayward will likely be gone in a year or two so that leaves money for Melo later.


I definitely think the team is one good center away from being scary as it stands now. I know some of you guys were a little salty about the Hawks announcers making fun of him in that last game but their criticisms were valid. There were several times Plumlee had a chance to score at the rim and literally didn't even look at his open shots and just kicked the ball back out. You just can't do that.
User avatar
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
Posts: 35,935
And1: 12,305
Joined: Dec 29, 2008
Location: Asheville, NC
   

Re: Hawks fan coming in peace 

Post#17 » by Liver_Pooty » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:39 pm

Sothron wrote:
Chapelchilla wrote:The fact that Kemba basically got cut twice and bought out of his contract showed we did the right thing letting him walk when he wanted crazy money on bad knees. Plus, we got Lamelo out of that tank job. I think we will resign Miles unless Klutch wants like 35 Mill plus for him. Then things get iffy. We should just trade PJ for a decent center and build up with the draft. Hayward will likely be gone in a year or two so that leaves money for Melo later.


I definitely think the team is one good center away from being scary as it stands now. I know some of you guys were a little salty about the Hawks announcers making fun of him in that last game but their criticisms were valid. There were several times Plumlee had a chance to score at the rim and literally didn't even look at his open shots and just kicked the ball back out. You just can't do that.


Only thing I'm salty about is (I think it was the Hawks game) chanting overrated. Lol.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
User avatar
Sothron
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,503
And1: 2,195
Joined: Oct 27, 2001
       

Re: Hawks fan coming in peace 

Post#18 » by Sothron » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:48 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:
Sothron wrote:
Chapelchilla wrote:The fact that Kemba basically got cut twice and bought out of his contract showed we did the right thing letting him walk when he wanted crazy money on bad knees. Plus, we got Lamelo out of that tank job. I think we will resign Miles unless Klutch wants like 35 Mill plus for him. Then things get iffy. We should just trade PJ for a decent center and build up with the draft. Hayward will likely be gone in a year or two so that leaves money for Melo later.


I definitely think the team is one good center away from being scary as it stands now. I know some of you guys were a little salty about the Hawks announcers making fun of him in that last game but their criticisms were valid. There were several times Plumlee had a chance to score at the rim and literally didn't even look at his open shots and just kicked the ball back out. You just can't do that.


Only thing I'm salty about is (I think it was the Hawks game) chanting overrated. Lol.


Yeah that was weird. I have no idea why a small section of fans started cheering that. I'm guessing maybe it was Anthony Edwards fans from Georgia that are mad he didn't get ROY last season? I honestly don't know. I can honestly say as a Hawks fan I've never known of any Hawks fans having like bone deep grudges against Ball or the Hornets. Clearly Ball is one of the best young superstars in the NBA. If he's overrated then everyone is...

Return to Charlotte Hornets