ImageImage

2022 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

chabber
Veteran
And1: 826

Re: 2022 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#501 » by chabber » Wed May 18, 2022 7:40 pm

Benjamin Linus wrote:Why's he giving us in shoes measurements? Didn't the NBA switch to no shoe measurements. Now I gotta subtract two inches off of everyone's height to get the real #s

I guess they're doing both.

Read on Twitter
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Post#502 » by wilson115 » Wed May 18, 2022 7:48 pm

Not gonna write-off our chances at Williams just yet. This draft might be unfriendly to traditional bigs seeing what just happened to Ayton and Gobert in the play-offs.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,171

Post#503 » by SWedd523 » Wed May 18, 2022 8:47 pm

wilson115 wrote:Not gonna write-off our chances at Williams just yet. This draft might be unfriendly to traditional bigs seeing what just happened to Ayton and Gobert in the play-offs.

Is it also going to be unfriendly to PGs after seeing what just happened to Kyrie and Paul? What about Guards after seeing what happened to Booker, Mitchell, and Harden?
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#504 » by LofJ » Wed May 18, 2022 9:18 pm

I wouldn't be mad if we came out of this draft with two Duke guys - Mark Williams and Wendell Moore.

I think Moore in particular is being really undervalued by mock draft sites. He isn't the most athletic guy, but he doesn't really have any major weaknesses otherwise. He can shoot, pass, and guard 1-3 on the perimeter. Our front office needs to give him strong consideration.

I'd take him over Griffin, who is being mocked too high. He's the falling player this year I hope we avoid (unless he looks like he recovered his athleticism).
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,163

Post#505 » by JMAC3 » Wed May 18, 2022 9:49 pm

I am not a fan of taking Wendell Moore this high. Seems like an average bench guard in the NBA.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
wilson115
Sixth Man

Post#506 » by wilson115 » Wed May 18, 2022 10:04 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
wilson115 wrote:Not gonna write-off our chances at Williams just yet. This draft might be unfriendly to traditional bigs seeing what just happened to Ayton and Gobert in the play-offs.

Is it also going to be unfriendly to PGs after seeing what just happened to Kyrie and Paul? What about Guards after seeing what happened to Booker, Mitchell, and Harden?

You and I know what went down with every one of those guys, so this is a rhetorical question, right? Not saying a traditional big is undraftable now, just saying perceptions might help us land one when we can actually put one to good use.

In other news CBS has us taking Williams at 13 and Eason at 15:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2022-nba-mock-draft-magic-take-chet-holmgren-at-no-1-in-first-projection-after-orlando-wins-lottery/
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,653

Post#507 » by yosemiteben » Wed May 18, 2022 10:18 pm

Someone fabricate an unflattering report about Mark Williams to get him to drop

Just kidding

But not kinda not really
LofJ
RealGM

Post#508 » by LofJ » Wed May 18, 2022 10:26 pm

yosemiteben wrote:Someone fabricate an unflattering report about Mark Williams to get him to drop

Just kidding

But not kinda not really

Relative to their respective sports his sister is probably a better basketball player than he is. That's all I've got.
wilson115
Sixth Man

Post#509 » by wilson115 » Wed May 18, 2022 10:39 pm

yosemiteben wrote:Someone fabricate an unflattering report about Mark Williams to get him to drop

Just kidding

But not kinda not really

He checked out says his coach. And Coach K the legend is never wrong. :roll:

Read on Twitter

Buzz Beat on Duren, Williams, and Kessler:

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9yc3MuYXJ0MTkuY29tL2J1enotYmVhdA/episode/ZmI5ZjZjMzgtZDQ4NC0xMWVjLWIzMjktZTcyZjEyMGE3OTc0
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,833

Post#510 » by Diop » Wed May 18, 2022 11:02 pm

SWedd523 wrote:lol Cock burn

We have a suburb here spelt the same, it’s pronounced Coh Burn
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#511 » by BigSlam » Wed May 18, 2022 11:54 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

DO WANT

ETA: Holy ****, higher standing reach than Gobert

That is a big human being.

Mobile too.

Any measurements on that Duran kid?
B B M F 'ers
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,524

Post#512 » by Bassman » Thu May 19, 2022 2:32 am

I really never understood why Williams was mocked so low to date, even after the tourney run. Not a stretch 5? Too traditional to rotate top side on D? Maybe….

He’s a huge, very athletic center who fits nearly everything we need. Naturally he will probably climb into the top 5.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Post#513 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu May 19, 2022 2:38 am

Bassman wrote:I really never understood why Williams was mocked so low to date, even after the tourney run. Not a stretch 5? Too traditional to rotate top side on D? Maybe….

He’s a huge, very athletic center who fits nearly everything we need. Naturally he will probably climb into the top 5.

Tends to foul. A lot. He'll have to work on that. He'd be a beautiful fit here though
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
MPM
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,708

Post#514 » by MPM » Thu May 19, 2022 1:26 pm

Non-hornets thought, but if you're the magic would you trade the first for a signed-and-traded Ayton - perhaps with a future Suns pick attached? They have Harris (20mm) and Lopez (5mm) coming off the books and can choose not to resign Bamba (7.5mm) - basically could just absorb Ayton. Would the Suns do it?
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Post#515 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu May 19, 2022 1:50 pm

MPM wrote:Non-hornets thought, but if you're the magic would you trade the first for a signed-and-traded Ayton - perhaps with a future Suns pick attached? They have Harris (20mm) and Lopez (5mm) coming off the books and can choose not to resign Bamba (7.5mm) - basically could just absorb Ayton. Would the Suns do it?

They'd rather just keep wendell Carter at center and continue to build I'd imagine. Assuming Jonathan Isaac can ever stay healthy with this year's first pick they have a solid foundation
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
LofJ
RealGM

Post#516 » by LofJ » Thu May 19, 2022 1:51 pm

I don't think the Magic would go for that, but the Suns more than likely would. They aren't going to get a better return than the number one pick.

As for what the Hornets will do I feel like we have to come away from this draft with one of Duren or Williams. If we have to package both picks to move up so be it.

I'm curious to what kind of big man the team prefers. The guys Kupchak has acquired makes it seem like he prefers bigs than can pass from the high post and roll to the basket on offense. There has been a lot of chatter about our interest in Turner, but other than drafting Nick Richards he has yet to acquire a rim protecting drop coverage big. He definitely seems to value versatility more than rim protection.

Duren is in the Bam mold, a combination of Plumlee's passing with Montrezl's near the rim ferocity with much better defense. While Williams is in the Gobert/Turner mold who will do most of his damage near the basket. We could use either type of player, but based on the playoffs it is clear at this point that guys like Bam, Draymond, and Robert Williams are harder to take advantage of.

We of course have to get to the playoffs first for that to be an issue, but even though I imagine the team really likes Williams, Duren is more in line with the type of player they've prioritized in the past.
LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Post#517 » by LAL1947 » Thu May 19, 2022 2:39 pm

Diop wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:lol Cock burn

We have a suburb here spelt the same, it’s pronounced Coh Burn

KofItUp Cockburn, cough it up! :lol:
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,238

Post#518 » by amcoolio » Thu May 19, 2022 2:56 pm

LofJ wrote:I don't think the Magic would go for that, but the Suns more than likely would. They aren't going to get a better return than the number one pick.

As for what the Hornets will do I feel like we have to come away from this draft with one of Duren or Williams. If we have to package both picks to move up so be it.

I'm curious to what kind of big man the team prefers. The guys Kupchak has acquired makes it seem like he prefers bigs than can pass from the high post and roll to the basket on offense. There has been a lot of chatter about our interest in Turner, but other than drafting Nick Richards he has yet to acquire a rim protecting drop coverage big. He definitely seems to value versatility more than rim protection.

Duren is in the Bam mold, a combination of Plumlee's passing with Montrezl's near the rim ferocity with much better defense. While Williams is in the Gobert/Turner mold who will do most of his damage near the basket. We could use either type of player, but based on the playoffs it is clear at this point that guys like Bam, Draymond, and Robert Williams are harder to take advantage of.

We of course have to get to the playoffs first for that to be an issue, but even though I imagine the team really likes Williams, Duren is more in line with the type of player they've prioritized in the past.

Maybe physically, but I think Duren is way closer to Drummond than Bam, and I think we are going to be frustrated with him his first few years in the league. Multiple scouting reports list mental lapses and defensive awareness as weaknesses, which is very very similar to both Wiseman and Drummond coming out. Wiseman couldn't play meaningful minutes depsite the Warriors' desperate need at the position and Drummond has bounced around because teams don't value him as much as the old, pre-Warriors NBA. Bam is the opposite. A young Drummond would be a good fit with LaMelo, but its not something I would trade two first round picks for.

Williams measurements are impressive, no doubt. He's worth a pick. IDK about trading both to move up for him though. I think its a mistake to completely pass over what a Sochan, Daniels or Eason would do for this team, or realize how hard those players are to get. If we trade both picks, I would expect to get to at least the 7th pick and try to get Murray, Sochan or Sharpe. If we end up with Murray and Richaun Holmes with the picks and say Oubre/few 2nds, then that is a much better win in this offseason
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,524

Post#519 » by Bassman » Thu May 19, 2022 3:33 pm

I’d love to get Holmes, especially if we can do that with just a pick and dealing Oubre or equivalent. Hard to see Williams (who I like a lot) besting the production we could get from Holmes even a few years from now. Richaun’s experience level would give us the immediate boost we need at the 5 and he’s still a young player.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
wilson115
Sixth Man

Post#520 » by wilson115 » Thu May 19, 2022 10:57 pm

Daniels looks huge. What the hell has he been eating since he came over?

Read on Twitter

Return to Charlotte Hornets