The Brown Frown Hall of Shame

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,074

Re: The Brown Frown Hall of Shame 

Post#101 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Jul 1, 2022 5:11 am

Done with this depressing thread as well. Just put this entire offseason in it
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,561

Post#102 » by HornetJail » Fri Jul 1, 2022 7:55 am

Don't even hold a vote, put him in now.

This is quite honestly the lowest point of my Hornets fandom (I was 9 and a casual fan when the original team left). I don't ever lose sleep about basketball but I am tonight, I'm just so disgusted and upset about everything.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,666

Post#103 » by fatlever » Fri Jul 1, 2022 8:35 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:Don't even hold a vote, put him in now.

This is quite honestly the lowest point of my Hornets fandom (I was 9 and a casual fan when the original team left). I don't ever lose sleep about basketball but I am tonight, I'm just so disgusted and upset about everything.

i'm fine with this
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,074

Post#104 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Jul 1, 2022 8:47 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:Don't even hold a vote, put him in now.

Same. I shouldn't have watched that video with his son.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,184

Post#105 » by Rich4114 » Fri Jul 1, 2022 9:11 pm

Completely separate topic but I’m feeling in some ways similar to this event… the David Wesley / Bobby Phils Porsche race should be in this list too. That was a very dark day to be a Hornets fan.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#106 » by fatlever » Sat Jul 2, 2022 4:10 am

Rich4114 wrote:Completely separate topic but I’m feeling in some ways similar to this event… the David Wesley / Bobby Phils Porsche race should be in this list too. That was a very dark day to be a Hornets fan.

agreed. i'll put that up for vote. thats as low as it gets as a franchise/fan/family
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#107 » by fatlever » Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:48 am

im nominating this...

fatlever wrote:0-for-burleson is their coach? lol
only played for hornets in 05-06
shot 25% for the season
between jan 13 and march 22 he missed 34 consecutive shots
i'm not sure what the nba record is, but thats surely a franchise record
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/burleke01/gamelog/2006

correction, it was 35 in a row. check out this article on this feat

https://www.statholesports.com/theres-no-way-an-nba-basketball-player-missed-checks-notes-35-shots-in-a-row/

Kevin Burleson (KB) played one year of NBA ball with the Charlotte Bobcats during the 2005-06 season. He came off the bench in all but one of his 39 active games averaging 8 minutes and 42 seconds of playing time and 2.3 shots per game. This comes to a total of 88 career shot attempts of which 35 in a row somehow failed to splash nylon. This is simply absurd. If we assume Burleson’s true field goal percentage is a league average 45%, the odds of him missing 35 shots in a row in 88 attempts by chance is precisely 0.000004 percent; or 22,641,861:1. This is roughly 730 times LESS likely than getting a royal flush in a single hand of Texas Hold-em.

At this point, you probably don’t even believe someone could miss 35 consecutive shots in a single game: and you’d be right. My play-by-play data only goes back to the 1996-97 season and Allen Iverson holds this record at 18 consecutive misses. But Burleson didn’t achieve this historic feat in one game. He didn’t just have an off night; he had an off 18 nights. Over a stretch of 32 Charlotte Bobcat games from January 14th to March 21st, Burleson was active and stepped on the court in 18 to miss all 31 shots he took. Add his final two shots from the game prior and first two shots the game after this 18-game streak to make 35 total misses in a row, including exactly six missed lay-ups. And nobody ever noticed.
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#108 » by Rich4114 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:53 pm

That’s a remarkable feat, you’d think he would’ve at least accidentally had one go in especially layups. Unreal
Robot Rock
Starter
And1: 940

Re: The 

Post#109 » by Robot Rock » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:58 pm

fatlever wrote:Rice's tenure with Charlotte ended ugly. He faked an injury and refused to play to force a trade out of Charlotte to Lakers. At least we got Eddie Jones and Campbell in return.

Many of my old school Charlotte Hornet friends loathed Glen Rice with the passion of a thousand suns after that move.

It's not the most egregious example but still worth considering

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app

I tried finding info on this and couldn't. How did you arrive at the conclusion he faked an injury?
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#110 » by fatlever » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:13 am

fatlever wrote:Essentially Rice sat out for half a season with his elbow injury and threatened surgery if he wasn't traded. The Hornets eventually caved and traded him to LA where he played immediately proving it wasn't that serious.

Not saying I would have voted for him, because he was awesome in his 3 seasons, just was putting it out there.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM Forums mobile app
For Robot Rock...

I'll try to elaborate on this a little bit more. I doubt you're going to find any articles anywhere that come right out and say Glen Rice faked and injury in 1999.

"Faked" is perhaps not the best choice of words here. More like threatened surgery on his elbow if the Charlotte Hornets did not give in to his demand to be traded. Rice did in fact have some problems with his elbow, but nothing that should have kept him from playing that season. He sat out the first 20 games of the shortened 50-game season because of the elbow. However, it was widely understood that this was his ploy to force the franchise into trading him or else he would get surgery and miss the entire season.

If you read between the lines and look at the game log from That season you will see that he sat out the first 20 games of the season, then he was traded on March 10th and then immediately played for the Lakers on March 12th. That was most definitely not a coincidence.

Imagine if Batum, the year he hurt his elbow was cleared to play, meanwhile he is demanding to be traded to the Clippers and refuses to play. Says he'll get surgery on his elbow and miss the season. We trade him to the clippers, he immediately plays and helps them win a championship. That was Rice in 99.

The good news is, he was never quite the same player after his elbow injury and we were able to flip him for Eddie Jones who was clearly the better player the following two years. Kudos to Bob Bass who was the best.

Maybe there's more to this story that I just don't remember or didn't have access to at the time. Maybe he was looking out for what was best in his career.

Like I said though, the circle of friends I hung out with in the '90s we were all Die Hard Hornets fans. And I promise you some of those guys would have burned Rice's Jersey that year. They hated him that much because of this.

So I did think it was fair to mention him as a possible candidate.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#111 » by Rich4114 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:16 am

I don’t know that this will ever change my opinion on Rice who I may say is my favorite Hornet of all time because of how good those late 90’s teams were. If it for the Bulls, I think they could’ve made it to the finals.

Fats, do you know why Rice wanted to be traded at the begging of that season? I was in high school then and trying to remember what happened that offseason and I think it was Divac related.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#112 » by fatlever » Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:30 am

my guesses
1. cheap-ass shinn lowballed him on contract negotiation extension
2. hornets knew his elbow was toast and didnt want to give him a big contract at age 31
3. rice was a douche

also found this to back up my story
Charlotte was willing to trade Rice, who had been holding out, but the trade’s finalization languished as Rice recovered from an elbow injury.

https://www.forumblueandgold.com/2009/01/15/the-curious-career-of-glen-rice/

lakers also didnt want to pay him, rice had 1.5 yrs on contract when traded. he then signed with knicks
”Jackson has never wanted Glen, he’s always wanted somebody like Scottie Pippen, and this is his way of getting back at management for not letting him make a trade…Jackson did not get his way with the general manager or the owner about trading Glen, so who pays for it? Glen does. How many players would have stayed as quiet for as long as Glen has? But finally, when the team is affected, you have to say something,” she said. ”Now if it was me, I would have already been Latrell Sprewell II.” Asked about his wife’s comments, Rice said he agreed with them.
-June 14, 2000

but other random stuff
- rice was broke in 2016 after blowing his 67 mil
- he was arrested on felony battery after finding a man in his wife's closet
- he reportedly had sex with sarah palin

MIAMI -- Former Miami Heat star Glen Rice was arrested Friday on a felony battery charge after police say he beat a man he found hiding in his estranged wife's closet.

Rice went to the home of estranged wife Christina Rice and punched Alberto Perez several times, police said. Perez fled the home and called police. He received a cut to his forehead that needed nine stitches, police said.

"Sarah Palin had an intimate relationship with Glen Rice in the 80s," he tweeted. "Rice tried to resist but he was never one to stop anyone from scoring."

Sharpshooter Rice - who spent one season with the Knicks - was playing for Michigan in the annual "Great Alaska Shootout" while Palin was a sports reporter with Anchorage television station KTUU, the Enquirer said.

A friend described Palin as the aggressor, with the pal reporting "she hauled his ass down," the Enquirer said.

Their tryst reportedly occurred over Thanksgiving weekend 1987 in the dorm room of Palin's kid sister at the University of Alaska-Anchorage.
Robot Rock
Starter

Post#113 » by Robot Rock » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:42 pm

Rice was definitely fascinating and a helluva player here. The main reason the Hornets were competitive into the early 2000s was winning the lottery with LJ and Zo, then trading them for new stars who did well (Mason, Rice), then trading those players for a new star (Jones), then trading that star for a new star (Mashburn) and winning the lottery with Baron Davis. All of the trading was necessitated, of course, by Shinn's being cheap and by LJ's back injury.

But we subsisted, even thrived, for about a decade mostly off two ping pong balls going our way.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,190

Post#114 » by SWedd523 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:00 pm

And now our GM trades lotto picks for a collection of seconds lol
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,259

Post#115 » by amcoolio » Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:38 pm

How about Bob Johnson going with that original Bobcats logo and color scheme?

Hey, a bobcat animal's actual colors are not a NBA color scheme and they are a really good set of colors (black and gold) that synergize well and could make for some really good uniforms, logos, and court design, even if you go more yellow than gold, what do you think?

No, lets go with fugging this:

I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,561

Post#116 » by HornetJail » Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:14 pm

I unironically loved the orange back then.

maybe because I was 11 but still
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Robot Rock
Starter

Post#117 » by Robot Rock » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:43 pm

I remember there being a big to-do because the team was introducing "a hot new color scheme" (their words) that had me wondering if we were gonna be pink.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,259

Post#118 » by amcoolio » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:51 pm

This was a photoshop I made the mid 2000's, still on my server:

I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#119 » by fatlever » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:18 pm

slam's dream uni
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#120 » by Rich4114 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:20 pm

fatlever wrote:my guesses
1. cheap-ass shinn lowballed him on contract negotiation extension
2. hornets knew his elbow was toast and didnt want to give him a big contract at age 31
3. rice was a douche

also found this to back up my story
Charlotte was willing to trade Rice, who had been holding out, but the trade’s finalization languished as Rice recovered from an elbow injury.

https://www.forumblueandgold.com/2009/01/15/the-curious-career-of-glen-rice/

lakers also didnt want to pay him, rice had 1.5 yrs on contract when traded. he then signed with knicks
”Jackson has never wanted Glen, he’s always wanted somebody like Scottie Pippen, and this is his way of getting back at management for not letting him make a trade…Jackson did not get his way with the general manager or the owner about trading Glen, so who pays for it? Glen does. How many players would have stayed as quiet for as long as Glen has? But finally, when the team is affected, you have to say something,” she said. ”Now if it was me, I would have already been Latrell Sprewell II.” Asked about his wife’s comments, Rice said he agreed with them.
-June 14, 2000

but other random stuff
- rice was broke in 2016 after blowing his 67 mil
- he was arrested on felony battery after finding a man in his wife's closet
- he reportedly had sex with sarah palin

MIAMI -- Former Miami Heat star Glen Rice was arrested Friday on a felony battery charge after police say he beat a man he found hiding in his estranged wife's closet.

Rice went to the home of estranged wife Christina Rice and punched Alberto Perez several times, police said. Perez fled the home and called police. He received a cut to his forehead that needed nine stitches, police said.

"Sarah Palin had an intimate relationship with Glen Rice in the 80s," he tweeted. "Rice tried to resist but he was never one to stop anyone from scoring."

Sharpshooter Rice - who spent one season with the Knicks - was playing for Michigan in the annual "Great Alaska Shootout" while Palin was a sports reporter with Anchorage television station KTUU, the Enquirer said.

A friend described Palin as the aggressor, with the pal reporting "she hauled his ass down," the Enquirer said.

Their tryst reportedly occurred over Thanksgiving weekend 1987 in the dorm room of Palin's kid sister at the University of Alaska-Anchorage.

Holy crap I forgot about the Palin thing. That’s amazing. Also didn’t know he went broke but I guess I do kinda remember him kicking that guys ass. I believe he works for the Heat now doesn’t he? How did his career just fizzle like that. Must’ve been the elbow and not sure what kind of condition his knees were in by the end.

Return to Charlotte Hornets