42%

Total votes: 19

fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,618

BFHOS - SEAN MAY 

Post#1 » by fatlever » Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:54 pm

Should Sean may be inducted into the BFHOS?

Slam, I will let you make the initial argument on this one.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Re: BFHOS - SEAN MAY 

Post#2 » by BigSlam » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:45 pm

Dude was so lazy and indifferent that an NBA team felt they had to have a “I promise I won’t get fat” clause built into his contract - which was set at 270lbs - and he STILL couldn’t stay under it.

Instead he chose to cruise around in a t-shirt that said “I piss excellence”.

Pity the t-shirt didn’t say “remember: don’t get fat”.

Rode his college success and expected that to be enough to carry him into a professional career - because he was too lazy to put in the effort that’s required.
B B M F 'ers
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#3 » by fatlever » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:30 am

I am on the fence for this vote. Leaning NO.

My mindset so far for voting people in has been reserved for those who set our franchise back significantly due to their failures. May was a bust and infuriating but at the end of the day he didn't really set us back more than a lateLottery Pick. And those guys bust all the time. It's not like we signed him to a huge deal and then he got out of shape and refused to improve his work ethic.

Was he a bust because he was overweight and didn't work hard enough? Or was he a bust because he had three significant injuries including microfracture surgery on his knee and his first few years in the league? Even after he left us it was one injury after another. Did that happen because he was overweight and out-of-shape? Or is he overweight and out-of-shape because he was constantly injured? Probably both.

It's not his fault that we drafted him with the 13th pick even though he was undersized for his position and coming off injuries and overweight. We tried to get cute and placate the Tarheel fanbase and this is what happened.

That's not to say that there weren't some encouraging signs. he was absolutely dominant in the Tar Heels Championship run his junior year. And in 2006 he was the Summer League MVP. There were games for the Bobcats where he looked like the best player on the floor for the team. She was eating showing signs of becoming a deadly shooter.

Larry Brown mandating that he had to lose 7 lb before he played him was just another typical Larry Brown stunt that backfired.

In the grand scheme of the failures of his franchise and people who have set us back years with their incompetence, May is not at the top of my list.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
Benjamin Linus
Veteran
And1: 1,268

Post#4 » by Benjamin Linus » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:57 am

I do think he could have been really good, which is what made him so frustrating for me. Here's a nine game stretch from Sean May in his second season before he was sidelined by injuries but you know while he was still playing way over the weight should have been at

BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#5 » by BigSlam » Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:41 pm

He set the franchise back.

It was our second draft, a very important draft, and he couldn’t be bothered to do the simplest thing a pro athlete has to do: not get fat.

If given the opportunity and if they had the natural ability to play NBA basketball, 99% of the posters on this board would probably cut off their left hand for the chance to ply pro ball. He had the opportunity and all he had to do was not get fat and he couldn’t do that.

He had a contact worth multiple millions of dollars where he could have hired a personal chef and dietitian etc, didn’t do so and instead chose to get fat.

He had access to world class trainers and exercise equipment and nothing else to do (like a full time job) and could have worked out, didn’t do so and instead chose to get fat.

He’s a guy who just expected that because his team enjoyed success at the college level that he didn’t have to put the work in at the pro level and should have worked 10 times harder in the NBA, didn’t do so and instead chose to get fat.

Not only that, but during all that time there were several reports from different places, including form posters on this board, who saw him out on the town and drinking up big in Charlotte at the clubs.

He spent 10 times the effort on getting fat than he did being in shape to play basketball.

Absolute waste of talent, a draft pick and the franchises time.
B B M F 'ers
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Post#6 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:05 pm

BigSlam wrote:He set the franchise back.

It was our second draft, a very important draft, and he couldn’t be bothered to do the simplest thing a pro athlete has to do: not get fat.

If given the opportunity and if they had the natural ability to play NBA basketball, 99% of the posters on this board would probably cut off their left hand for the chance to ply pro ball. He had the opportunity and all he had to do was not get fat and he couldn’t do that.

He had a contact worth multiple millions of dollars where he could have hired a personal chef and dietitian etc, didn’t do so and instead chose to get fat.

He had access to world class trainers and exercise equipment and nothing else to do (like a full time job) and could have worked out, didn’t do so and instead chose to get fat.

He’s a guy who just expected that because his team enjoyed success at the college level that he didn’t have to put the work in at the pro level and should have worked 10 times harder in the NBA, didn’t do so and instead chose to get fat.

Not only that, but during all that time there were several reports from different places, including form posters on this board, who saw him out on the town and drinking up big in Charlotte at the clubs.

He spent 10 times the effort on getting fat than he did being in shape to play basketball.

Absolute waste of talent, a draft pick and the franchises time.

Was such a skilled player as well. Felton was decent for us, but not using those picks to trade up for Paul or Williams was a disaster.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,678

Post#7 » by KembaWalker » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:22 pm

meh.. a 13th overall pick not panning out is more like the expected return. May is the group with Vonleh/Frank/Monk. would have been awesome if they panned out but they didn't. failing at that spot isnt nearly as painful as failing at the top spots like Ammo and MKG. i voted no
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,171

Post#8 » by SWedd523 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:52 pm

I'm voting "Yes", but in reality, it's a very close call.

On the one hand, he was "only" a 13th pick so the expectation management there should allow for a high possibility of busting. Adding the injuries should give him some leeway (in the same vein as Ammo).

On the other, there were so many implications of that draft and his REASONING for being a bust that leads me down the Yes path.

The rumor was that they were considering trading the Felton/May picks to pick CP3. I can't necessarily say if that was true or just rumored, but that deal would've completely changed the outlook of Charlotte as an organization. Not May's fault, but still his fault.

Additionally, trying to be cute by drafting 2x UNC guys and pandering to the local fanbase reeks of ineptitude and **** FO management. Again, not his fault, but still his fault.

He also actually showed promise as a productive player. I think, had he managed his weight better, he would've lessened the chances of his recurring injuries and also would've had a longer, more productive career. The inability to keep weight off is squarely on him and his lack of professionalism. He became a bust because he was a fat, lazy, POS. Squarely on him.

So, in a vacuum, he doesn't belong in the BFHOS.

Allowing for all context, he absolutely does.

Definitely not Pantheon Level with Batum, Brown, Shinn, etc. but in the Pissing Excellence Ring.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,238

Post#9 » by amcoolio » Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:05 pm

He was a great pick and pop PF that we sorely needed but was never in shape
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#10 » by BigSlam » Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:37 pm

KembaWalker wrote:meh.. a 13th overall pick not panning out is more like the expected return. May is the group with Vonleh/Frank/Monk. would have been awesome if they panned out but they didn't. failing at that spot isnt nearly as painful as failing at the top spots like Ammo and MKG. i voted no

Want to know what makes a 13th overall pick less likely of panning out?

When they buy into their own college hype, don’t give two **** in the pro’s and instead choose to not work hard and opt for being a be a fat, lazy, entitled brat.

A guy like Vonleh didn’t work out because he just wasn’t smart enough. That’s not his fault.

A guy like Kaminsky didn’t work out because he’s just not good enough. That’s not his fault.

A guy like Monk didn’t work out, because he’s just not accountable/mature/professional enough. That’s not his…….actually, that’s 100% his fault!!!
B B M F 'ers
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,678

Post#11 » by KembaWalker » Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:39 pm

BigSlam wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:meh.. a 13th overall pick not panning out is more like the expected return. May is the group with Vonleh/Frank/Monk. would have been awesome if they panned out but they didn't. failing at that spot isnt nearly as painful as failing at the top spots like Ammo and MKG. i voted no

Want to know what makes a 13th overall pick less likely of panning out?

When they buy into their own college hype, don’t give two **** in the pro’s and instead choose to not work hard and opt for being a be a fat, lazy, entitled brat.

A guy like Vonleh didn’t work out because he just wasn’t smart enough. That’s not his fault.

A guy like Kaminsky didn’t work out because he’s just not good enough. That’s not his fault.

A guy like Monk didn’t work out, because he’s just not accountable/mature/professional enough. That’s not his…….actually, that’s 100% his fault!!!

I totally agree that he didn't seem to give a ****, but at the same time he was basically DOA health wise with that knee. The weight stuff, LB stuff, getting deactivated yeah he didn't rehab correctly I'm sure but that was all post-microfracture. Dude wasn't Amare that could lose 50% of his athleticism in a surgery and still be amongst the most athletic in the league, he wasn't Jason Kidd skilled. He was cooked after that and he probably knew it. We got a lemon, but in the grand scheme of things for this franchise, getting a lemon at 13 isn't particularly high. Just depends if we want this list to have kind of exclusivity
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#12 » by HornetJail » Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:09 pm

voting yes

he was a lottery pick. a pick that wouldn't be traded up to get Chris Paul/Deron Williams. He spent 4 seasons with the team. He played 82 games. Total. Most of the 82 games were bad. to the hall of shame you go
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#13 » by fatlever » Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:26 am

too close to call... anyone else want to vote?
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,832

Post#14 » by Diop » Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:55 am

Slam convinced me to vote yes, it’s similar to big Al who couldn’t stop eating fried chicken even though it hurt his game. You get paid millions to be a pro athlete, your highest priority should be taking care of your body.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#15 » by Liver_Pooty » Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:48 am

Voted no. His knee was shot before he was even drafted. Being fat didn't help, but seemed to have a good attitude.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#16 » by Liver_Pooty » Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:51 am

If we're going to put people in the bfhos based on being on merely being a lottery pick and being bad, well we've got years on that. I base it solely on attitude mostly. Biyombo is a bust in my opinion, but he deserves the opposite of this kind of ordeal for bring a great teammate and human in general.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#17 » by Diop » Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:20 am

If you paid me a million bucks not to be fat, I think I can manage it
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#18 » by Diop » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:50 am

Biyombo is probably a good comparison, if May had worked as hard as Biz did, he would have stayed in the NBA longer.

Effort is the main reason Batum got put in, if May decides to get fat rather than lose weight and build muscle to help his knees, he deserves flack
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#19 » by BigSlam » Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:11 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:If we're going to put people in the bfhos based on being on merely being a lottery pick and being bad, well we've got years on that. I base it solely on attitude mostly. Biyombo is a bust in my opinion, but he deserves the opposite of this kind of ordeal for bring a great teammate and human in general.

If you base it on attitude then McMay should be a 100% lock.

His attitude was that he didn’t have to work hard, could get by on his college reputation and got too fat to play.

The guys attitude was so bad he LITERALLY had a “don’t get fat” clause in his contract.
B B M F 'ers
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#20 » by BigSlam » Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:59 pm

Keep in mind: McMay got an additional contract with another NBA team after his time with Charlotte - so he passed other teams medicals. Then he went on to play overseas as well.

Using his injured knees is not an excuse for his performance.

You can use injury for someone like Oden, but not McMay.
B B M F 'ers

Return to Charlotte Hornets