ImageImage

Hornets could be interested in Russell Westbrook

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Hornets could be interested in Russell Westbrook 

Post#1 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu Apr 7, 2022 6:07 pm

If they are, or do become interested I'm assuming it's because he has 1 year left at 47 million, and would like to find a way out of either Haywards contract at 2 years left or maybe even have severe remorse on Roziers extension. Maybe both.

ETA:
Read on Twitter
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,171

Re: Hornets could be interested in Russell Westbrook 

Post#2 » by SWedd523 » Thu Apr 7, 2022 6:09 pm

link or are you just spouting drunk nonsense?

EDIT: just saw the other thread. gross.

i would like to formally and preemptively nominate any trade for Westbrook to the BFHOS
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#3 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu Apr 7, 2022 6:16 pm

SWedd523 wrote:link or are you just spouting drunk nonsense?

EDIT: just saw the other thread. gross.

i would like to formally and preemptively nominate any trade for Westbrook to the BFHOS

Sorry my phones dumb and I couldn't post the link. I actually would not mind it if it helped clear our books. Hayward can't seem to stay healthy and it would help us dodge the last year of his deal and provide some good financial flexibility. It would definitely just be to help clear the books a tad and not for the player.

That all being said I doubt we do anything.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#4 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu Apr 7, 2022 6:17 pm

Eh didn't see that it was already mentioned. Can combine it with the other thread if you want.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,653

Post#5 » by yosemiteben » Thu Apr 7, 2022 6:43 pm

Fine to keep it here, I edited the OP to include the link to the tweet.

I don't think that's coming from our FO given how little anything leaks out about what we're doing.
Goodecharlotte
Sophomore
And1: 124

Post#6 » by Goodecharlotte » Thu Apr 7, 2022 7:33 pm

I'm sick of clearing salaries to try and get better but don't seem to, I want to win now get a play off win and establish ourselves as a genuinely credible play off team, Westbrook won't do that yes he puts up stats everywhere he's played but he hasn't won anything. Teaming up Lamelo with Westbrook seems like a disaster waiting to happen. We need a paint clogging big man and a 3 & D player Oubre, Haywood & Mcd can be traded for me.
Rays Pompadour
Senior
And1: 418

Post#7 » by Rays Pompadour » Thu Apr 7, 2022 7:50 pm

Westbrook is a ball dominant guard who can't shoot. If Kupchak thinks Russ is a Jimmy Butler type for the Hornets, then he and I wouldn't see eye-to-eye. I like his toughness, but at this point in his career, his expiring contract is more valuable than the player.

just say no, Mitch.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,171

Post#8 » by SWedd523 » Thu Apr 7, 2022 7:58 pm

he's bad enough that they might stretch him so they can resign Monk lol
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#9 » by LofJ » Thu Apr 7, 2022 8:16 pm

If we're talking to the Lakers it's about AD or even Lebron. The only reason MJ wanted to trade for Westbrook when he was in Houston was to sell tickets. That was before the team landed LaMelo. So he isn't needed for that anymore. And what good is cap space when you're not in the earlier stages of a rebuild and aren't likely to sign a real difference maker anyway? Especially when the other team doesn't have any real assets to sweaten the deal beyond that.

This is BS in all likelihood.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#10 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu Apr 7, 2022 8:28 pm

Looking at the Lakers roster to see who they have that couldn't entice such a move other than lebron and AD. No one. God they suck.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,621

Post#11 » by fatlever » Thu Apr 7, 2022 8:35 pm

this only makes sense if hornets fear they need to clear gh's contract to make room for miles/pj/melo extensions... but that really makes the gh, batum stretch look even worse for mitch.
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 867

Post#12 » by Chapelchilla » Thu Apr 7, 2022 9:59 pm

This has got to be fake out. Really makes no sense.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#13 » by MasterIchiro » Thu Apr 7, 2022 10:12 pm

My post on the trade board. I'm open to it.

I'm open to moving Rozier's 4 years and willing to wait the final 2 of Hayward. Rozier is too small and the Hornets need more size. Rozier doesn't fit with Ball long term due to his limitations defensively. Lakers get a 20 point scorer capable of hitting 40% on threes who's in his prime. He would make a solid #3 scorer after LeBron and AD.

I would attach Oubre and Plumlee. They are on partial guaranteed contracts.

The difference is 47 million vs. 43. Lakers save 4 off the top. If they want to deepen their rotation they keep Plumlee and Oubre. If they want to buy out Plumlee and Oubre they save another 4.5 and 7.6 respectively for a total savings of 16 million.

I'm a believer in Bouknight and am fine with Westbrook as a placeholder. There is added value in Westbrook's expiring deal at the deadline. But I suspect Kupchak doesn't trade Rozier without draft capital coming to Charlotte.
It has been written...
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,621

Post#14 » by fatlever » Thu Apr 7, 2022 10:53 pm

Dumping Terry for capspace before his extension even starts, to afford miles, because we lowballed miles last summer and now have to pay double what we offered, would be peak Hornets incompetence.

Add lowballing miles to the list of summer 21 failures.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM Forums mobile app
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#15 » by BigSlam » Thu Apr 7, 2022 11:12 pm

fatlever wrote:Dumping Terry for capspace before his extension even starts, to afford miles, because we lowballed miles last summer and now have to pay double what we offered, would be peak Hornets incompetence.

You didn't think Miles was worth that much last summer either?
B B M F 'ers
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,833

Post#16 » by Diop » Thu Apr 7, 2022 11:16 pm

BigSlam wrote:
fatlever wrote:Dumping Terry for capspace before his extension even starts, to afford miles, because we lowballed miles last summer and now have to pay double what we offered, would be peak Hornets incompetence.

he deserved more than we offered, we could have got him cheaper last summer. now we will pay more
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#17 » by BigSlam » Thu Apr 7, 2022 11:19 pm

Diop wrote:
BigSlam wrote:

he deserved more than we offered, we could have got him cheaper last summer. now we will pay more

Be honest: If we had signed Bridges to a 4/90 contract last summer some people here would have lost their minds calling it a massive over pay.

And don't forget - as recently as last month Bridges said he was going to and wanted to sign the offer our front office put in front of him.

His agent talked him out of it.
B B M F 'ers
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,833

Post#18 » by Diop » Thu Apr 7, 2022 11:27 pm

BigSlam wrote:
Diop wrote:
BigSlam wrote:You didn't think Miles was worth that much last summer either?

Be honest: If we had signed Bridges to a 4/90 contract last summer some people here would have lost their minds calling it a massive over pay.

And don't forget - as recently as last month Bridges said he was going to and wanted to sign the offer our front office put in front of him.

i was hoping for 4/80, i think we offered 4/60 which the agent was right to say no to. 4/80 might have been doable
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#19 » by BigSlam » Thu Apr 7, 2022 11:28 pm

Diop wrote:
BigSlam wrote:
Diop wrote:he deserved more than we offered, we could have got him cheaper last summer. now we will pay more

i was hoping for 4/80, i think we offered 4/60 which the agent was right to say no to. 4/80 might have been doable

Look back over the posts. Some posters were saying he was no way worth anything close to Mikal Bridges.
B B M F 'ers
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,653

Post#20 » by yosemiteben » Thu Apr 7, 2022 11:57 pm

I personally don't believe this rumor is true, the timing of it doesn't make sense. Why would this come out now? Anyone subscribe to Stein's blog and know what the report actually said?

If true, I don't think it makes sense to move Terry in a move like this. We signaled he was a face of the franchise last summer and statistically he played basically the same this season. Nothing about his play this season suggests he should be salary dumped for cap space.

Hayward on the other hand... It doesn't matter what he brings in intangibles, there is no way our FO gave him that contract with the expectation that they'd feel good about it if he missed nearly half the season and virtually the entire post-ASB in the first two years of his deal. I think there could be some legitimacy to his impact on Miles, but on the whole I don't think it's been to offset his inability to stay on the court.

I do think there is something to how Mason and KO's deals are structured. I would be very ok with moving them and Hayward in some sort of salary dump scenario that nets is picks.

Return to Charlotte Hornets