ImageImage

Offseason Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Re: Offseason Thread 

Post#161 » by MasterIchiro » Thu May 12, 2022 2:11 pm

amcoolio wrote:Well, Tyus Jones just led the Grizzlies to a 39 point playoff win, there goes that hope of getting him for the MLE

The teams with cap (i.e. more than the MLE) are the Spurs (Dejounte Murray), Pistons (Cade), Pacers (Haliburton), Magic (Fultz/Anthony/Suggs), and Blazers (Dame).
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#162 » by MasterIchiro » Thu May 12, 2022 10:57 pm

I squeezed as much cap as I could, slashing partially guaranteed contracts (Oubre, Plumlee) and non-guaranteed contracts (Kulbolka, Lewis, Richards). I made the 2 picks and applied salary for slots 13 + 15. I put pick 45 on a 2-way contract. I signed a player to the MLE (4 years 44.5). I stripped down the roster to the minimum required 13 players including players selected 13 + 15 + 45 + MLE player + Miles at 27 million in the first year of his new deal. I left out Cody Martin.

We would be left with ~3.25 million to pay Martin a raise over his 2.2 million cap hold. So we would hope nobody offers him more than 5.5 million. Hornets paying him any thing over 5.5 crosses the luxury tax.

So absent a cap savings trade, it's tough to keep him.
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#163 » by MasterIchiro » Thu May 12, 2022 11:05 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:I squeezed as much cap as I could, slashing partially guaranteed contracts (Oubre, Plumlee) and non-guaranteed contracts (Kulbolka, Lewis, Richards). I made the 2 picks and applied salary for slots 13 + 15. I put pick 45 on a 2-way contract. I signed a player to the MLE (4 years 44.5). I stripped down the roster to the minimum required 13 players including players selected 13 + 15 + 45 + MLE player + Miles at 27 million in the first year of his new deal. I left out Cody Martin.

We would be left with ~3.25 million to pay Martin a raise over his 2.2 million cap hold. So we would hope nobody offers him more than 5.5 million. Hornets paying him any thing over 5.5 crosses the luxury tax.

I was left with the following min 13 players plus 5.5 million cap below the tax.

LaMelo - *BAE - 45
Rozier - Bouknight - 13/15
Bridges - Hayward - 13/15
Washington - McDaniels - Thor
MLE - *Richards - Kai

*I could use the BAE (3.7 million) on a PG3 and come in under the tax with 1.8 million to spare, meaning I could keep Richards at 1.7. Roster number climbs to max 15 and I'm still under the tax by a sliver.

Advocates wanting to keep Martin are welcome to show the path.
It has been written...
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Offseason Thread 

Post#164 » by BigSlam » Thu May 12, 2022 11:42 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
amcoolio wrote:Well, Tyus Jones just led the Grizzlies to a 39 point playoff win, there goes that hope of getting him for the MLE

The teams with cap (i.e. more than the MLE) are the Spurs (Dejounte Murray), Pistons (Cade), Pacers (Haliburton), Magic (Fultz/Anthony/Suggs), and Blazers (Dame).

What’s your point? That he wont start for those teams or they don’t need a PG because they already have a cemented starter at PG?

News flash……..

So do we.
B B M F 'ers
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,651

Post#165 » by yosemiteben » Fri May 13, 2022 4:08 am

MasterIchiro wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:I squeezed as much cap as I could, slashing partially guaranteed contracts (Oubre, Plumlee) and non-guaranteed contracts (Kulbolka, Lewis, Richards). I made the 2 picks and applied salary for slots 13 + 15. I put pick 45 on a 2-way contract. I signed a player to the MLE (4 years 44.5). I stripped down the roster to the minimum required 13 players including players selected 13 + 15 + 45 + MLE player + Miles at 27 million in the first year of his new deal. I left out Cody Martin.

I was left with the following min 13 players plus 5.5 million cap below the tax.

LaMelo - *BAE - 45
MLE - *Richards - Kai

*I could use the BAE (3.7 million) on a PG3 and come in under the tax with 1.8 million to spare, meaning I could keep Richards at 1.7. Roster number climbs to max 15 and I'm still under the tax by a sliver.

Again, you have so many assumptions baked into this that it's not really worth responding to. Yes, if we keep everyone and all our picks and refuse to go into the tax, it'll be tough to keep Martin.

Seems very unlikely that our game plan for next season is let's run it back without significant roster changes.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#166 » by MasterIchiro » Fri May 13, 2022 11:22 am

yosemiteben wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:

LaMelo - *BAE - 45
MLE - *Richards - Kai

Again, you have so many assumptions baked into this that it's not really worth responding to. Yes, if we keep everyone and all our picks and refuse to go into the tax, it'll be tough to keep Martin.

Seems very unlikely that our game plan for next season is let's run it back without significant roster changes.

I've said we need a cap savings trade, using Hayward for instance. I've said I 100% support moving Rozier. Of course I support trades that make us better and save money.
It has been written...
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#167 » by yosemiteben » Fri May 13, 2022 1:10 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:

LaMelo - *BAE - 45
MLE - *Richards - Kai

I've said we need a cap savings trade, using Hayward for instance. I've said I 100% support moving Rozier. Of course I support trades that make us better and save money.

Cool, I wasn't saying what you are and aren't for. You are framing it like we can't keep Martin, I'm saying you have to build on a very specific set of assumptions for that to be true.

And, to be clear, I'm not like some huge Cody Martin fan. I just think our #1 need is perimeter defenders (not a center, though I want that too) and I don't see how cutting bait on one of our best perimeter defenders who likely would be very cheap is a good idea.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#168 » by MasterIchiro » Fri May 13, 2022 2:19 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:Again, you have so many assumptions baked into this that it's not really worth responding to. Yes, if we keep everyone and all our picks and refuse to go into the tax, it'll be tough to keep Martin.

Cool, I wasn't saying what you are and aren't for. You are framing it like we can't keep Martin, I'm saying you have to build on a very specific set of assumptions for that to be true.

And, to be clear, I'm not like some huge Cody Martin fan. I just think our #1 need is perimeter defenders (not a center, though I want that too) and I don't see how cutting bait on one of our best perimeter defenders who likely would be very cheap is a good idea.

You asked me to show how we could lose Martin so I did. You didnt ask me to predict the ultimate offseason path did you, because how the **** am I supposed to do that? You didn't expect me to prove we will lose Martin. Nobody has proof if we lose him or keep him.

I've said his supporters are welcome to present a path where we keep him. My scenario assumes no trades, and when you explore that path you come down to a decision between the MLE and Martin.

Obviously I'm open to hearing offseason scenarios that involve trades and allow the Hornets to keep Martin while adding an MLE player.

It's not hard to ask for input just to sit there and shoot down other poster's plans and point out the existence of variables.

No ****.

If you don't present a scenario this is just you criticizing mine. Which is annoying AF and not worth my time.
It has been written...
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#169 » by yosemiteben » Fri May 13, 2022 4:14 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:You asked me to show how we could lose Martin so I did. You didnt ask me to predict the ultimate offseason path did you, because how the **** am I supposed to do that? You didn't expect me to prove we will lose Martin. Nobody has proof if we lose him or keep him.

A bit revisionist history here. You said definitively "it's either Martin or the MLE, can't be both". I said "really? how?" and then you explained all these assumptions that justified that approach. I didn't ask how it was possible to lose him, I asked why that seemed to be your inevitable conclusion of what would happen.

Feels like we both agree that we may or may not keep him depending on a long list of variables, most of which aren't really about him.

Good talk.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,238

Post#170 » by amcoolio » Fri May 13, 2022 4:37 pm

My understanding is this is probably our last year with Cody Martin unless he regresses, as we won't be able to match a moderately sized/big contract for him unless MJ wants to pay the tax, which he won't if we aren't a contender

We definitely won't be able to keep both PJ and Martin with Hayward, Rozier, and Bridges max on the books

This is why you don't trade the lottery picks so you can restock the cabinet with cheap 4-5 year deals, as there is a big chance that PJ, Martin, McDaniels aren't on the team in a few years. This is what Atlanta is doing, and why they could trade Collins for a pick.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,162

Post#171 » by JMAC3 » Fri May 13, 2022 7:20 pm

A lot of good ideas being shared in this thread.

I think we all would love to keep everyone, still resign Miles, keep the picks, use the MLE, improve center.

Reality is that is unlikely. It doesn't make sense to keep both picks, keep bouk, keep oubre, resign martin and keep Terry. We probably only have room 4 out of these 6.

I would be open to moving Terry or Hayward, but you have to find reasonable trade partners. Also, if you move Hayward for 2 guys it increases the likely hood that again you don't keep Martin if those players are wings.

I like Martin, but at same time I am not sure he is the answer to the wing defense issue because he is not a starter nor should he be playing 30 mpg. If he can be resigned for around 5-6 million then I would be more willing to keep him. However, if a team offers him 9+ I think I am out and would pivot to other options.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#172 » by yosemiteben » Fri May 13, 2022 7:49 pm

JMAC3 wrote:I like Martin, but at same time I am not sure he is the answer to the wing defense issue because he is not a starter nor should he be playing 30 mpg. If he can be resigned for around 5-6 million then I would be more willing to keep him. However, if a team offers him 9+ I think I am out and would pivot to other options.

Completely agree.

Unrelated, but found this on Reddit FWIW:

[W]ord from around the league is that the Hornets would like to get away from the oft-injured Gordon Hayward’s contract, which has two years at $30 million and $31.5 million remaining.

“I know Gordon’s situation has been super frustrating,” said one exec. “He’s such an important player when he’s healthy. He’s talented and he plays the right way. But him staying healthy is a big if.”

Said another, “At this stage of his career after all the injuries, he’s a good player. He’s a nice player. But he’s not a transformative player, and he’s being paid like he is, and that’s troubling.”

https://heavy.com/sports/brooklyn-nets/kyrie-irving-sean-marks-hornets-dantoni/
KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 831

Post#173 » by KingCat » Sat May 14, 2022 1:30 pm

I could genuinely see Memphis being interested in Hayward. A vet wing close to the end of his contract, and a crunch time scorer outside of Ja.

Won't be able to get a guy like Bane or even a Zhaire Williams for him, but maybe Adams?
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
Rays Pompadour
Senior
And1: 418

Post#174 » by Rays Pompadour » Sat May 14, 2022 2:24 pm

I find it difficult to see a path for a Hayward trade. Considering his salary, trade kicker and relative health concerns, a equitable trade scenario is nearly impossible to find. Mitigating circumstances, of course, may factor in, such as a buyout, adding a pick or young player to a trade. The trouble is that Charlotte stretched Batum to sign Hayward. And Hayward isn't a negative value on the court or in the locker room. So, to lose Hayward in an inequitable trade or buyout is a lose-lose for the Hornets.

We can fake trade this thing to death, but I just don't see the motivation or the right market for the Hornets.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#175 » by JMAC3 » Sat May 14, 2022 4:53 pm

Rays Pompadour wrote:I find it difficult to see a path for a Hayward trade. Considering his salary, trade kicker and relative health concerns, a equitable trade scenario is nearly impossible to find. Mitigating circumstances, of course, may factor in, such as a buyout, adding a pick or young player to a trade. The trouble is that Charlotte stretched Batum to sign Hayward. And Hayward isn't a negative value on the court or in the locker room. So, to lose Hayward in an inequitable trade or buyout is a lose-lose for the Hornets.

We can fake trade this thing to death, but I just don't see the motivation or the right market for the Hornets.

My favorite Hayward centerpieces (picks and kickers may be needed, but salary wise). By the way, Hayward is a 40th highest paid player right now for next season and that is before guys like Ayton, Bridges, Lavine and Jeremy Lamb get paid. His contract isn't great, but it also is 18 mil cheaper than Tobias over next two years.

Fav packages
Kuzma and KCP for Hayward- two expiring rotation guys, washington goes all in with Beal, KCP and Hayward
Aaron Gordon and JaMychal (exp) for Hayward- Get off Gordon future money and they MPJ coming back
Norman Powell and Kennard for Hayward- get off Powell contract, they go all in for title
Jonathan Isaac and Ross for Hayward- get off Isaac contract
Harrison Barnes and Richaun Holmes for Hayward- Barnes is expiring and Holmes barely played
Dinwiddie and Dwight Powell for Hayward- we eat Dinwiddie deal and Dallas adds a true #2

Would Nuggets swap MPJ for Hayward because they are nervous on his back? I don't think I would do that for Hornets
Big Board
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,238

Post#176 » by amcoolio » Sat May 14, 2022 4:57 pm

The only one I would take out of that is Barnes and Holmes, all the others make us a considerably worse team
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,171

Post#177 » by SWedd523 » Sat May 14, 2022 5:12 pm

Did I just see somebody imply that Jeremy Lamb is going to get a Hayward style contract this off-season?
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,618

Post#178 » by fatlever » Sat May 14, 2022 5:58 pm

my plan, go all in on chino hills
- trade terry and 15 for lonzo
- trade pj and 13 for okongwu
- make lavar assistant
- add gelo to roster

melo, lonzo, gelo, miles, okongwu = chip

bonus
fill out roster with charlotte natives
trade for pat williams, grant williams
resign ish after he gets cut by wiz
tempt currys to join the fun
fill out rest with anthony gill, bembry, springer
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,171

Post#179 » by SWedd523 » Sat May 14, 2022 6:22 pm

I know i said before that i was anti Lonzo coming to town, but after seeing his defensive improvements, I'd be willing to bring him in.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#180 » by JMAC3 » Sat May 14, 2022 6:34 pm

SWedd523 wrote:I know i said before that i was anti Lonzo coming to town, but after seeing his defensive improvements, I'd be willing to bring him in.

The time to get Lonzo was last offseason in the Graham sign and trade. His value has gone back up and his deal looks pretty solid for a 24 yr old defensive guard.
Big Board

Return to Charlotte Hornets