ImageImage

Offseason Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,235

Re: Offseason Thread 

Post#221 » by amcoolio » Tue May 17, 2022 12:44 pm

Ayton is a regular season floor rasier like Gobert, but as you saw he had virtually no impact at all in a deciding game against a team without a center.

This team isn't going to pay Ayton a max with Bridges having a max. I wouldn't trade an athletic, improving wing for him. Detroit will just offer the max, draft Chet and have their starting 5.

I continue to believe that if you don't have Jokic, Embiid, or Giannis, you don't need to pay 40 million a year for a center.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Rays Pompadour
Senior
And1: 418

Post#222 » by Rays Pompadour » Tue May 17, 2022 1:32 pm

This is true. Of course, paying 9M for one doesn't necessarily promote winning. Gotta pay a dude something.

I'm torn on centers. All season long, we bemoaned Charlotte's lack of a true rim protector, rim-runner. Missing pieces, we said. And we were right. The Hornets need that guy. But, dadgummit, they're expensive and niche. Almost have to have a guy that can be a center AND a guard/wing. Is it any wonder players like Robert Williams and Bam Adebayo are successful in this league?

That said, I hope Mitch drafts Mark Williams in June and leaves Deandre Ayton alone.
Goodecharlotte
Sophomore
And1: 124

Post#223 » by Goodecharlotte » Tue May 17, 2022 2:21 pm

Sign Robinson fom the Knicks n Draft Duren, job done lol. If only it was that easy
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Post#224 » by yosemiteben » Tue May 17, 2022 2:24 pm

Boone wrote an update piece on the Hornets coaching search for the Observer. It's paywalled so not sure what it says or if it has anything new or that we haven't heard before.
chabber
Veteran
And1: 826

Post#225 » by chabber » Tue May 17, 2022 2:37 pm

yosemiteben wrote:Boone wrote an update piece on the Hornets coaching search for the Observer. It's paywalled so not sure what it says or if it has anything new or that we haven't heard before.

Not much of anything new.

"At least half a dozen candidates are in their initial interview pool. Among them are Mike D’Antoni, Milwaukee assistants Darvin Ham and Charles Lee, Golden State assistant Kenny Atkinson, Dallas assistant Sean Sweeney and Brooklyn assistant David Vanterpool. It’s unclear precisely where things are in the process and if the Hornets plan on expanding the list in order to scour the landscape for the right person."

"Although there is no specific timetable for a decision, things can’t drag out too much longer. With the June 23 draft rapidly approaching, the Hornets need to get their hierarchy in place so they can get aligned in evaluating personnel and tweaking their roster after falling short of a berth in the 16-team playoff field for the sixth consecutive season. "

"There shouldn’t be much doubt about Kupchak’s immediate future. Because his contract expires at the conclusion of the league’s year next month, per league sources, some believed the soon-to-be 68-year-old executive could be ready to call it a career and retire, handing off the reins. But with him conducting the search to hire his second coach in four years and directly meeting with prospective candidates, it’s obvious Kupchak is still in control of the basketball operations department."

"If Kupchak wasn’t all in and on track to return, there is no way he would be running the show in the same fashion he has since coming on board in April of 2018. Barring a snag in negotiations or something unforeseen, he’s not going anywhere and the Hornets’ front office structure that includes senior vice president of basketball operations/assistant general manager Buzz Peterson, vice president of player personnel Larry Jordan and assistant GM David Duquette."

The rest of it talks about players trickling in for offseason workouts, staying in shape etc... as well as the fate of the assistant coaches relying on the next head coaching hire.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,822

Post#226 » by Diop » Wed May 18, 2022 5:27 am

Orlando will select a big, so surely Bamba is waking??
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 905

Post#227 » by MugzZo » Wed May 18, 2022 5:29 am

Diop wrote:Orlando will select a big, so surely Bamba is waking??
Yes target Bamba with the 13th or 15th pick.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#228 » by Diop » Wed May 18, 2022 5:33 am

MugzZo wrote:

I think he will be cheaper than that, also he's a free agent
CuseMayne
Sixth Man
And1: 1,372

Post#229 » by CuseMayne » Wed May 18, 2022 5:57 am

Would be cautiously optimistic if we got Mo Bamba. There's a lot to like.
-Ian-
Analyst
And1: 849

Post#230 » by -Ian- » Wed May 18, 2022 6:01 am

Diop wrote:
MugzZo wrote:

I think he will be cheaper than that, also he's a free agent

Can we sign him with MLE? Miles and Mo seem to be friendly with each other. We can have MB*3 in our roster.
KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 831

Post#231 » by KingCat » Wed May 18, 2022 6:38 am

Bamba is a good plan C to plan A - Ayton and plan B - Poetle. Could see him having a career year here.
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#232 » by Diop » Wed May 18, 2022 9:46 am

Yeah he’s not top of my list, but good to have a mother young big available to look at
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,160

Post#233 » by JMAC3 » Wed May 18, 2022 5:50 pm

If magic draft a big they will let Bamba walk for free. The threat for them to match is super low considering they already paid Carter and just invested in #1 pick. I think Bamba is MLE guy. Maybe a 1 year prove it deal and then reenter FA the following year when teams have money.

I would not give up the 30th pick for him let alone either of our picks.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Post#234 » by wilson115 » Wed May 18, 2022 7:35 pm

BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#235 » by BigSlam » Wed May 18, 2022 11:50 pm

I’d rather play Kai than pay Bamba
B B M F 'ers
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#236 » by Diop » Thu May 19, 2022 1:14 am

BigSlam wrote:I’d rather play Kai than pay Bamba

Bamba isn't high on my list, but I wouldnt say no if he became available cheapish.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#237 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Thu May 19, 2022 12:44 pm

Because Bamba isn't a great basketball player. There is a reason that the worst team in the NBA is considering letting Mo walk for nothing.

Bamba looks great to us because it's been SO LONG since the team had anything resembling a competent center. Look at what Orlando fans have to say about him (decent backup center, smart guy but limited passion for the game, etc.) and what his limitations as a player are (specific defensive issues especially on the perimeter, inconsistent offense, and more).

This is not to say that Mo Bamba is a terrible player who should never be on a team, but it's definitely not worth overpaying to get him and it's absolutely worth considering what his impact on a guy like Kai might be.

Personally I think that the team needs to do better than Mo if they want to take PT away from Kai ... and I hope they do.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,052

Post#238 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu May 19, 2022 12:52 pm

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:Because Bamba isn't a great basketball player. There is a reason that the worst team in the NBA is considering letting Mo walk for nothing.

Bamba looks great to us because it's been SO LONG since the team had anything resembling a competent center. Look at what Orlando fans have to say about him (decent backup center, smart guy but limited passion for the game, etc.) and what his limitations as a player are (specific defensive issues especially on the perimeter, inconsistent offense, and more).

This is not to say that Mo Bamba is a terrible player who should never be on a team, but it's definitely not worth overpaying to get him and it's absolutely worth considering what his impact on a guy like Kai might be.

Personally I think that the team needs to do better than Mo if they want to take PT away from Kai ... and I hope they do.

Good post, and I agree.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#239 » by Snidely FC » Thu May 19, 2022 4:20 pm

Another name to consider: Thomas Bryant. Young veteran still only 24; game was trending up before the ACL now surplus in WAS with Porzingis + Gafford; ufa may sign for mle or less coming off injury; Capella-style player 77% free throw, can start at center while Kai and Mark Williams develop

Rays Pompadour
Senior
And1: 418

Post#240 » by Rays Pompadour » Thu May 19, 2022 5:23 pm

Thomas is one of my favorite under the radar targets. But he's not under the radar for NBA franchises. A one year prove-it deal seems appropriate, though there will be competition.

Return to Charlotte Hornets