Post#761 » by JDR720 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:59 pm

Spurs are just 3 games back.
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Re: 2023 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#762 » by Snidely FC » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:27 pm

Givony on Brandon Miller in the Tourney thus far:
Miller didn't have a great weekend by his standards, shooting 5-for-22 from the field in two games and not getting his first basket until 53 minutes into the NCAA tournament. He was held out of practice on Friday with a groin injury and likely wasn't operating at 100% all weekend, but said he never had any doubt about his availability for either game.

Even when not at his best, Miller showed what makes him potentially the No. 2 pick in the NBA draft with the outstanding mix he brings of size, shot-making, passing, defensive versatility, feel for the game and competitiveness, as he was able to contribute in all facets even when the ball wasn't going through the basket for him. He makes all the right reads and the game is easy for his teammates with the way he passes ahead, moves the ball out of double-teams and drives with his head up looking to dish off. The intensity he's playing with defensively by denying off the ball, recovering to the rim to protect the basket, and the hustle he shows getting back in transition and crashing the glass bodes well for his outlook.

On Jaime Jacquez (For Denver Pick)
Jaquez took care of business in leading UCLA to a third consecutive Sweet 16, doing all the little things that make him a winning player. He made a pair of 3-pointers, moved the ball intelligently, went to work creating his own shot in the high, mid or low post, and made big plays defensively -- all things we've become accustomed to seeing in his four years with the Bruins. It's difficult not to appreciate the tremendous feel for the game, competitiveness and versatility Jaquez offers.
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 867

Post#763 » by Chapelchilla » Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:03 pm

JDR720 wrote:Dick so we can joke about having Dick and Ball(s) when we sign LiAngelo.

Dick could not get a shot off in the tourney when guarded by long athletes. I don't think he does that much in the pro's.
Having just gone to the tourney in Greensboro all weekend I can say their were no elite picks in that regional! However, Jack Nunge (the 7 footer from Xavier), probably would be a good back up C, Boum is a solid rotation guy, the senior poor mans Charles Barkley clone in Kentucky Tsiehbwe is a fantastic rebounder and should be able to play back up roles, Kentucky freshman Chris Livingston was probably the best prospect of the bunch and could become a starter at 2/3 if he developes, and my favorite of the group was mighty midget Nouwell on K State. He pretty much single handed willed that team to the sweet 16. 5'8" senior from Harlem, tons of moxie and leadership. His size obviously holds his prospects back for the NBA but dang that dude has heart and talent.
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 867

Post#764 » by Chapelchilla » Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:04 pm

JDR720 wrote:Spurs are just 3 games back.

We have a shot at losing them all without Ball and Williams (and Bridges...)! Go Spurs....
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#765 » by LofJ » Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:18 pm

Snidely FC wrote:Givony on Brandon Miller in the Tourney thus far:
Miller didn't have a great weekend by his standards, shooting 5-for-22 from the field in two games and not getting his first basket until 53 minutes into the NCAA tournament. He was held out of practice on Friday with a groin injury and likely wasn't operating at 100% all weekend, but said he never had any doubt about his availability for either game.

Even when not at his best, Miller showed what makes him potentially the No. 2 pick in the NBA draft with the outstanding mix he brings of size, shot-making, passing, defensive versatility, feel for the game and competitiveness, as he was able to contribute in all facets even when the ball wasn't going through the basket for him. He makes all the right reads and the game is easy for his teammates with the way he passes ahead, moves the ball out of double-teams and drives with his head up looking to dish off. The intensity he's playing with defensively by denying off the ball, recovering to the rim to protect the basket, and the hustle he shows getting back in transition and crashing the glass bodes well for his outlook.

On Jaime Jacquez (For Denver Pick)
Jaquez took care of business in leading UCLA to a third consecutive Sweet 16, doing all the little things that make him a winning player. He made a pair of 3-pointers, moved the ball intelligently, went to work creating his own shot in the high, mid or low post, and made big plays defensively -- all things we've become accustomed to seeing in his four years with the Bruins. It's difficult not to appreciate the tremendous feel for the game, competitiveness and versatility Jaquez offers.

Jacquez would be a great pick.

There are a lot of good 4 year players in this year's draft. Trayce Jackson-Davis is another one. He can't shoot 3 pointers, but he does everything else really well. He's a hell of player and shouldn't get ignored just because he stayed in college 4 years.

Marcus Sasser is also in that group. I'd be happy to draft any of those guys.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,162

Post#766 » by JMAC3 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:43 pm

I really don't think the difference between 2-6 is all that big right now. I am Wemby or bust.

Still think we could get a good player 2-6, but I am not looking at them as a franchise changer.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,618

Post#767 » by fatlever » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:29 pm

JMAC3 wrote:I really don't think the difference between 2-6 is all that big right now. I am Wemby or bust.

Still think we could get a good player 2-6, but I am not looking at them as a franchise changer.
I have long learned my lesson to never get excited about a draft pick, no matter how high they are drafted, until they show up and deliver consistent results over a period of time. This franchise has way too much history of underwhelming top 5 picks. They are just a random name on the 2nd row of the depth chart until proven otherwise. Wemby is the only sure thing, and that's only if he can avoid injuries (which given his body, seems highly questionable)

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM Forums mobile app
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#768 » by JMAC3 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:44 pm

The good news is.... this draft has sucky centers.
Big Board
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,171

Post#769 » by SWedd523 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:52 pm

fatlever wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:I really don't think the difference between 2-6 is all that big right now. I am Wemby or bust.

I have long learned my lesson to never get excited about a draft pick, no matter how high they are drafted, until they show up and deliver consistent results over a period of time. This franchise has way too much history of underwhelming top 5 picks. They are just a random name on the 2nd row of the depth chart until proven otherwise. Wemby is the only sure thing, and that's only if he can avoid injuries (which given his body, seems highly questionable)

They've had two top 5 picks in the past decade. Melo was a home run and Zeller was a fine pick in hindsight.

Their issue is never hitting on star players at any point in the draft. Every year there are a few guys taken at random spots outside the top 2 that surprise everyone and become high end players. Just gotta get lucky and land that guy.

ETA an example: The top 5 players in the Zeller draft went

15 (Giannis)
27 (Gobert)
10 (CJ McCollum)
12 (Steven Adams)
2 (Oladipo)
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#770 » by JMAC3 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:56 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
fatlever wrote:

They've had two top 5 picks in the past decade. Melo was a home run and Zeller was a fine pick in hindsight.

Their issue is never hitting on star players at any point in the draft. Every year there are a few guys taken at random spots outside the top 2 that surprise everyone and become high end players. Just gotta get lucky and land that guy

The Zeller draft was bad as whole. So that was unlucky. There are duds in the top 5 nearly every year though.

I am fine with our drafting the last 5 years as a whole though.
Big Board
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#771 » by JMAC3 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:15 pm

I 1000% would trade down if we landed the 2nd pick.

Someone would move up for Scoot that needs a franchise player. The fit with him and LaMelo is so bad, I truly wouldn't force it.
Big Board
LofJ
RealGM

Post#772 » by LofJ » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:23 pm

JMAC3 wrote:I 1000% would trade down if we landed the 2nd pick.

Someone would move up for Scoot that needs a franchise player. The fit with him and LaMelo is so bad, I truly wouldn't force it.

Unless you can still get the guy you want by trading back, like the Celtics did with Tatum, why risk the possibility of getting stuck with a player you don't like as much?

I mean if some team dumber than us wants to trade assets to get Scoot AND we still land Brandon Miller I'm all for it, but how likely is that?
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,247

Post#773 » by luciano-davidwesley » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:54 pm

LofJ wrote:

Unless you can still get the guy you want by trading back, like the Celtics did with Tatum, why risk the possibility of getting stuck with a player you don't like as much?

I mean if some team dumber than us wants to trade assets to get Scoot AND we still land Brandon Miller I'm all for it, but how likely is that?

Still quite likely. You could always draft Scoot at 2 and only do a trade for additional assets if the team at 3 draft Miller for you.

Obviously you are working on the assumption that the team at 3 are desperate for Scoot and you know Miller will be available at 3.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#774 » by JMAC3 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:10 pm

LofJ wrote:

Trade backs in the top 5 aren't all that rare.
Big Board
LofJ
RealGM

Post#775 » by LofJ » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:19 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
LofJ wrote:

Trade backs in the top 5 aren't all that rare.

They happen every few years, but I wouldn't say they're common. The only ones that come to mind from the last decade are the Luka, Tatum, and the Pelicans trade back of DeAndre Hunter for Hayes and SGA's cousin (man was that a dumb trade).

So yeah it can happen, in 2 of the 3 examples though the team trading back got worse players. And you'd have to go back to like 2008 for the OJ Mayo, Kevin Love trade to find another example of where the team trading back got the better player.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#776 » by JMAC3 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:31 pm

I see 5 in the last 17 years. Again not super frequent, but not so rare it never happens.

I would easily trade down from 2 to 5 if it meant getting an extra first the next year.
Big Board
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,167

Post#777 » by Rich4114 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:47 am

fatlever wrote:

I’m with you on that 100%. We need a pick in the draft where the guess work is taken out and an obvious pick can be made, kind of like with LaMelo. It’s hard to give Mitch credit for that pick because my dogs could’ve made it. And I’m also pretty certain Mitch would’ve taken Wiseman before Edwards or LaMelo if he had the first pick. So we really just need a top 3
pick and it’s essentially a can’t miss in this draft. After that, I get nervous we’ll somehow find the next Morrison, Vonleh, Zeller, Sean May, Bouknight, etc.
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Post#778 » by UNCNYC » Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:24 am

Ajay Mitchell used to remind me a bit of Killian Hayes. Interesting to see him with the Pistons jersey here... He seems like a team 4 year guy so I doubt he leaves. Not sure who else to go with at pick 4. Right now I have Wilson or Durisic. Wouldn't mind Michell and part ways will Melo for a bunch of picks. Who knows he could declare. Highy doubt it tho

UPDATED 2-18-2024

These are my top five for who I want with pick #1 in order

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#779 » by JMAC3 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:09 pm

UNCNYC wrote:Ajay Mitchell used to remind me a bit of Killian Hayes. Interesting to see him with the Pistons jersey here... He seems like a team 4 year guy so I doubt he leaves. Not sure who else to go with at pick 4. Right now I have Wilson or Durisic. Wouldn't mind Michell and part ways will Melo for a bunch of picks. Who knows he could declare. Highy doubt it tho

Dude seems like he has a broke jumper. 26.7% from 3 on only 2 attempts per game? I might take him in the 40s at the soonest.

UCSB might have played the countries softest schedule. They legit played zero power 5 schools until Baylor waxed them by 18.
Big Board
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Post#780 » by UNCNYC » Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:48 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
UNCNYC wrote:Ajay Mitchell used to remind me a bit of Killian Hayes. Interesting to see him with the Pistons jersey here... He seems like a team 4 year guy so I doubt he leaves. Not sure who else to go with at pick 4. Right now I have Wilson or Durisic. Wouldn't mind Michell and part ways will Melo for a bunch of picks. Who knows he could declare. Highy doubt it tho

Dude seems like he has a broke jumper. 26.7% from 3 on only 2 attempts per game? I might take him in the 40s at the soonest.

UCSB might have played the countries softest schedule. They legit played zero power 5 schools until Baylor waxed them by 18.

Although I will admit he isn't Curry lol, Stats are the biggest cover ups of the truth in life. They are one of the biggest problems in the world. Best to watch the games... :)
UPDATED 2-18-2024

These are my top five for who I want with pick #1 in order

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman

Return to Charlotte Hornets