The Scoot Henderson Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,172

Re: The Scoot Henderson Thread 

Post#301 » by SWedd523 » Tue May 30, 2023 11:28 pm

Let's replace Terry with Scoot.

Let's call them similarly impactful defenders (somewhere between not good and replacement level).

Now let's assume Scoot adopts the primary facilitator role.

You've just lost 20 points, the only guy who can reliably score 1-on-1, and probably the next most reliable floor spacer to Melo.

What other roster moves do you make to replace the lost scoring? Melo, Miles, and PJ all seem pretty close to their ceiling in raw scoring. Melo and PJ are probably close to tapped in efficiency and Miles is probably going to have a down year as he readjusts to the NBA.

One of the least efficient offenses in the league just got even less creative. You have to assume they're signing Miles/PJ to long term deals so that means they're locked into a Melo, Scoot, Miles, PJ, Mark lineup.

Not really any defensive stoppers anywhere from 1-4 unless PJ is in a random purple patch. Not really any reliable 1-on-1 scorers. Scoot PNR is going to be inefficient because defenders can go under screens and the bigs can sag into the lane since Mark isn't a shooter.

If Melo has a cold shooting night, that group is going to look ROUGH unless Scoot turns into a gunner (something nobody here is expecting or projecting).

So then what, Miles or PJ need to leave for a more dynamic scorer on the wing or they need to sell on Mark and get a floor spacing Center to open the lane for all this facilitating Scoot is going to be doing.

I feel like the combination of moves I'm expecting, packaged with a Scoot draft locks them into 6-9 seed until Melo demands a trade.

That lineup looks nothing like the successful teams we're seeing right now.
KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 831

Post#302 » by KingCat » Tue May 30, 2023 11:58 pm

There is no NBA GM in existence that would allow Roizer being on the team to prevent then from picking a player.

Even Lamelo's presence should not be a deterence considering his injury history and passion for running red lights right outside the spectrum center
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Post#303 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue May 30, 2023 11:59 pm

Are we ever going to stop picking players who are dynamic athletes and praying they learn how to shoot?
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
SWedd523
RealGM

Post#304 » by SWedd523 » Wed May 31, 2023 12:01 am

KingCat wrote:There is no NBA GM in existence that would allow Roizer being on the team to prevent then from picking a player.

Even Lamelo's presence should not be a deterence considering his injury history and passion for running red lights right outside the spectrum center

I don't see anyone arguing the opposite

Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#305 » by Liver_Pooty » Wed May 31, 2023 12:04 am

The only reason that I'd even consider picking Scoot is the mistake the Warriors made with Wiseman. They drafted for fit. However, I think Miller is just a better basketball player, and also fills a massive need. Wiseman hadn't even hardly played since highschool, and even in highschool got bodied pretty good against Vernon Carey. This is way different.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#306 » by JMAC3 » Wed May 31, 2023 12:19 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:The only reason that I'd even consider picking Scoot is the mistake the Warriors made with Wiseman. They drafted for fit. However, I think Miller is just a better basketball player, and also fills a massive need. Wiseman hadn't even hardly played since highschool, and even in highschool got bodied pretty good against Vernon Carey. This is way different.

Warriors passing on a guard because of Steph (age 34) is a lot different than Hornets passing on a guard because of our 21 yr old all-star. Also, let's not have revisionist history. There were plenty of posters on this board pounding the drum to take Wiseman as BPA.

Same for Wolves, rumor was they liked him, but he refused to play with Towns.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
SWedd523
RealGM

Post#307 » by SWedd523 » Wed May 31, 2023 1:00 am

2009 R1 P5: Minnesota selections Ricky Rubio

2009 R1 P6: Minnesota selects Jonny Flynn
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#308 » by Liver_Pooty » Wed May 31, 2023 1:42 am

JMAC3 wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:The only reason that I'd even consider picking Scoot is the mistake the Warriors made with Wiseman. They drafted for fit. However, I think Miller is just a better basketball player, and also fills a massive need. Wiseman hadn't even hardly played since highschool, and even in highschool got bodied pretty good against Vernon Carey. This is way different.

Warriors passing on a guard because of Steph (age 34) is a lot different than Hornets passing on a guard because of our 21 yr old all-star. Also, let's not have revisionist history. There were plenty of posters on this board pounding the drum to take Wiseman as BPA.

Lol hey I'm on your side here. But if anything that'd prove the Warriors should've picked a guard. Wasn't klay pretty well dying at the time? I can't recall when his body started breaking down.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,174

Post#309 » by Rich4114 » Wed May 31, 2023 2:26 am

I know you believe Miller is the better prospect but assuming Scoot is, what greater need do we have than talent? A wing off the bench?
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,833

Post#310 » by Diop » Wed May 31, 2023 2:27 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:

Lol hey I'm on your side here. But if anything that'd prove the Warriors should've picked a guard. Wasn't klay pretty well dying at the time? I can't recall when his body started breaking down.

I love ball now, but i get why teams passed, he really was inefficient in Australia. 37%fg, 25% 3pt, 2.5 to's for his 6.8 assists.
He was a risk, i honestly dont know what happened that off season for his shooting to change so dramatically.
truly amazing
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,174

Post#311 » by Rich4114 » Wed May 31, 2023 2:30 am

Diop wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:

I love ball now, but i get why teams passed, he really was inefficient in Australia. 37%fg, 25% 3pt, 2.5 to's for his 6.8 assists.
He was a risk, i honestly dont know what happened that off season for his shooting to change so dramatically.
truly amazing

He came with elite playmaking right out of the gate. We all expected it would be ugly outside of that for a few seasons but it turns out he can do way more than it looked like. But I vividly remember praying for Wiseman all the way up until the last few weeks before the draft when I could be talked into any of the top 3.

This draft is different. There’s Wemby and then there’s Scoot. After that there are other really good players. We got lucky and moved up, don’t gift Scoot to the Blazers.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#312 » by Liver_Pooty » Wed May 31, 2023 2:38 am

Rich4114 wrote:

I know you believe Miller is the better prospect but assuming Scoot is, what greater need do we have than talent? A wing off the bench?

I think Miller is more talented than Scoot. Being an uber athlete doesn't mean that someone is a more talented basketball player.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,238

Post#313 » by amcoolio » Wed May 31, 2023 3:30 am

Watched some more scouting reports today, and I will continue to say Scoot has a D-Wade first step and scoring ability, and you cannot pass on that guy. He also is the guy whose work ethic will rub off on the rest of the team and give us the culture we so sorely need. I think he's a full tier above Miller. Let LaMelo be a wing until he gets stronger and can finish at the rim
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
KingCat
Sixth Man

Post#314 » by KingCat » Wed May 31, 2023 3:59 am

I swear, this is the only basketball community hub I've seen that has down played Scoot's potential as a prospect. People have been calling this a two-person draft for a hot minute now, and me and a whole lot of others still pretty much see it as that.
SWedd523
RealGM

Post#315 » by SWedd523 » Wed May 31, 2023 4:42 am

Bruh this is not a two person draft. I don't care how much you like Scoot or Miller, Wemby is in a completely different universe from the rest of them.

This is a one person draft and then a two person draft
KingCat
Sixth Man

Post#316 » by KingCat » Wed May 31, 2023 4:54 am

SWedd523 wrote:Bruh this is not a two person draft. I don't care how much you like Scoot or Miller, Wemby is in a completely different universe from the rest of them.

I was saying two person because, like it or not, a majority think when it comes to talent, the clear cut top two is obviously Wemby and then Scoot below him.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,247

Post#317 » by luciano-davidwesley » Wed May 31, 2023 5:39 am

KingCat wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:Bruh this is not a two person draft. I don't care how much you like Scoot or Miller, Wemby is in a completely different universe from the rest of them.

I was saying two person because, like it or not, a majority think when it comes to talent, the clear cut top two is obviously Wemby and then Scoot below him.

Have you checked the ringer, nbadraft.net, tankathon and a couple of other drafts sites lately? They've all had Miller above Scoot for a couple of months now.

There is definitely a major decision to be made here. There is no clear consensus.
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Post#318 » by wilson115 » Wed May 31, 2023 5:42 am

Another thing I remember from the LaMelo draft is how Anthony Edwards got characterized as just another athlete who can't shoot....

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/anthony-edwards-2.html
https://gleague.nba.com/player/1630703/scoot-henderson
SWedd523
RealGM

Post#319 » by SWedd523 » Wed May 31, 2023 6:12 am

Difference being that Edwards made (2.3) almost as many threes as Scoot attempted (2.7) per game.

Scoot made 22 threes in the entire G-League season, including the Showcase games. It goes beyond form and percentages. He is a certified non-threat from range. It just is what it is.
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Post#320 » by UNCNYC » Wed May 31, 2023 10:20 am

Kobe Bufkin >>>> Scoot Henderson

Also starring Reece Beekman

with a special appearance by Trey Alexander

There are other options over him and Miller
UPDATED 2-18-2024

These are my top five for who I want with pick #1 in order

BuB Carrington