ImageImage

The Scoot Henderson Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Re: The Scoot Henderson Thread 

Post#361 » by Braggins » Thu Jun 1, 2023 2:08 pm

Scoot is a year younger and 6"+ shorter than Miller and shot nearly 20% better than him on shots at the rim in the halfcourt and 6% better on overall rim finishing.

The Ignite had one of the worst 3pt attempt rates of any team in the GLeague, so its not like he was getting the benefit of great spacing.

Scoot also shot 48.6% on floaters and his points per possession off cuts (low volume tbf) was in the 95th percentile in the GLeague.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#362 » by JMAC3 » Thu Jun 1, 2023 2:09 pm

Braggins wrote:Scoot is a year younger and 6"+ shorter than Miller and shot nearly 20% better than him on shots at the rim in the halfcourt and 6% better on overall rim finishing.

The Ignite had one of the worst 3pt attempt rates of any team in the GLeague, so its not like he was getting the benefit of great spacing.

Scoot also shot 48.6% on floaters and his points per possession off cuts (low volume tbf) was in the 95th percentile in the GLeague.

Ignite shot 34.6% from three, in a league where the spacing is significantly better overall.

Alabama shot 33.5% from three 366/1093, if you remove Miller from that equation the rest of the team shot 260/817 or 31.8% from three. Miller had far less spacing and way more bodies at the rim, that is just natural for college basketball.

Scoot is a better finisher still a this point, but Miller has already shown vast improvement throughout the season. I think once he adds more weight and has more space to work with that should help him a good deal.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#363 » by JMAC3 » Thu Jun 1, 2023 2:13 pm

KingCat wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:We've jumped the shark when we're saying Scoot has a questionable handle. This is getting silly.

OK I legit was wondering if I was getting gaslit into thinking Scoot has some loosey goosey Jalen Brown handles. Like where is this coming from? Everywhere but like 3 or 4 people Herr are saying his handles are tight and at the very least capable.

The handle concerns have probably gone too far, I would agree. I think Scoot is adequate for sure, but there has been multiple posts over the last few weeks calling it elite. That is where I disagree, elite to me is Trae Young in college, he had the ball on a string and his dribbling and footwork together were already elite.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Big Board
Braggins
RealGM

Post#364 » by Braggins » Thu Jun 1, 2023 2:26 pm

Miller shot 39.3% at the rim in the halfcourt (38.0% hc layups) and only had 3 dunks in the halfcourt the entire season (Scoot had 7).
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#365 » by JMAC3 » Thu Jun 1, 2023 2:40 pm

Braggins wrote:Miller shot 39.3% at the rim in the halfcourt (38.0% hc layups) and only had 3 dunks in the halfcourt the entire season (Scoot had 7).

Yeah don't get me wrong, it is definitely a weakness as a whole.
Based on that tweet I sent seems like has improved.
Along with him shooting over 60% in SEC play inside the three point line.
Both of those metrics give me some strong hope.
Plus I think he has a lot of room to get stronger.

Just for comparison sakes though here are a few others half court layup%
Jarace Walker 40%
Jalen Wilson 43%
Jet Howard 43%
Taylor Hendricks 40%
GG Jackson 41%

Again it is concerning, but I also think some of this shows just how muckety muck the college game can be inside the paint.
Big Board
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#366 » by Snidely FC » Thu Jun 1, 2023 2:52 pm

My main concern with Scoot continues to be...Lamelo

I know "Fit" is anathema on here (despite Kupchak recently invoking the F word) but...

Two years ago we were all excited about LaMelo's historically preternatural gift as a PG. At 21 and 6'7 he is already an All-Star.

Now people want to move him off the ball?

I know the desire in adding Scoot is to have a second playmaker. But if Scoot is the generational PG talent he is touted to be and LaMelo is the gifted PG we know him to be, then Fit may prove more complicated than hoped. There are pros and cons. These are both guys reared to be Primary ball handlers.

My other concern: expecting Steve Clifford, with his toilet bowl offense rooted in the 1990s, to manage this?
KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 831

Post#367 » by KingCat » Thu Jun 1, 2023 3:05 pm

I just think with Hayward getting up there in age, and Terry not being that spectacular of a player (neither of these guys are long term pieces as is), we gotta find that secondary player maker with Melo sooner rather than later.

I can respect folks thinking that can be Miller or maybe even a Miles Bridges, but I would personally prefer seeing Scoot take on that mantle.
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,507

Post#368 » by GoBobs » Thu Jun 1, 2023 4:22 pm

Snidely FC wrote:My main concern with Scoot continues to be...Lamelo

I know "Fit" is anathema on here (despite Kupchak recently invoking the F word) but...

Two years ago we were all excited about LaMelo's historically preternatural gift as a PG. At 21 and 6'7 he is already an All-Star.

I know the desire in adding Scoot is to have a second playmaker. But if Scoot is the generational PG talent he is touted to be and LaMelo is the gifted PG we know him to be, then Fit may prove more complicated than helpful. There are pros and cons. These are both guys reared to be Stars

My other concern: expecting Steve Clifford, with his toilet bowl offense rooted in the 1990s, to manage this?

If LaMelo weren't here I would be much more Team Scoot. But LaMelo is here...

If you have a 6'7'' PG who would be just as good as a 6'7'' SG than you have a choice to take advantage of that size and go with a big lineup across the board or have a lot of extra ball handling and passing ability on the floor. The Clifford school of basketball is all about size.

The reason I don't have any hesitation about adding Scoot is I believe he also has elite size for a PG. Taking into account strength and leaping ability he plays more like a 6'5'' or 6'6'' guy, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if his actual height was 6'4''.

Take a look at this video and pause it around the .30 mark

Scoot is standing between Bones Hyland, guy that measured 6'2'' barefoot at the combine and plays at 6'3.5'' in shoes, and Ayo Dosunmu, who measured 6'3.5'' barefoot. On the other side of Bones Hyland is Jonathan Kuminga. The camera is not exactly level here, but just looking at the total picture of Scoot between Lamelo and Kuminga, Scoot's size looks elite for a PG to me.

From a team standpoint I think there is a lot of value in not putting all the ball handling/play making responsibility on LaMelo. It would just invite teams to focus defensive pressure on him and try to wear him out or get him in foul trouble.

Part of fit is also character and how this player we bring in is going to affect our team culture/locker room. Scoot seems like a kid who really has his head on straight. He seems like the kind of guy I hope LaMelo is hanging around with when they are not playing basketball.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#369 » by JMAC3 » Thu Jun 1, 2023 5:53 pm

Yeah, Scoot looks shorter than Ayo in that video, and that is even with Scoot hair as an illusion. Not expecting him to be taller than 6-2 or his camp would be all over that to help his stock.

I would love to actually play a tall guard next to LaMelo and just have a massive lineup, instead of immediately neutralizing his height by playing a short guard next to him. Now it is pretty easy for teams to hide their shortest guy on Rozier and send a bigger defender at LaMelo.

Who is Jamal Murray, Trae Young, FVV or Lowry guarding if we have a lineup of Ball,Miller,Bridges,PJ,Mark on the floor. Someone is going to have a massive height advantage. If it is Melo that is great, he can easily shoot over them or see over them to deliver nifty passes.
Big Board
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#370 » by JMAC3 » Thu Jun 1, 2023 5:58 pm

No matter how long a guys arms are that doesn't really help obstruct opponents view.

A 6-2 dude with long arms is still going to have trouble seeing over a 6-6 defender, same as the 6-6 offensive player will easily see over a 6-2 defender. I think arm length is a really good feature, but acting like it can neutralize height all together is a reach to me.

Same with shooting, most players shoot the ball off the front of their forehead and then follow through. A shorter player is still going to have trouble getting shot off regardless of arm length.
Big Board
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,621

Post#371 » by fatlever » Thu Jun 1, 2023 6:51 pm

I know the desire in adding Scoot is to have a second playmaker. But if Scoot is the generational PG talent he is touted to be and LaMelo is the gifted PG we know him to be, then Fit may prove more complicated than hoped. There are pros and cons. These are both guys reared to be Primary ball handlers.

What's important for me is I think it's unfair to put labels on lamelo as a point guard or shooting guard or anything else. We shouldn't try to pigeonhole him into a particular position on offense. Lamelo is a magician on offense who will impact the game regardless. Growing up in high school lamelo did not play point guard. That was his brother lonzo. He is very comfortable playing as a second ball handler and initiator.

Lamelo at heart is a connector. His ability to make Split Second decisions with the ball means he doesn't need the ball in his hands very long to make something positive happen. He doesn't need to be the guy that dribbles the ball up the court and has a screen set for him at the top of the key. You can just as easily get the ball in his hands on a second action and let him work his magic ( also helps him save a ton of energy).

I don't see lamelo as a James Harden Luka type player who needs to have the ball for 95% of every possession. I know Clifford was trying to play him that way last year, but I actually disagreed with how Clifford ran the offense, no surprises there. Borrego had a much better understanding of how the offense should just be a bunch of unselfish dudes keeping the ball moving.

Adding someone like scoot to play next to lamelo would not diminish his impact in any way, in my opinion. In fact, I think it frees him up to focus on what he does the best.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#372 » by Snidely FC » Thu Jun 1, 2023 7:39 pm

fatlever wrote:

What's important for me is I think it's unfair to put labels on lamelo as a point guard or shooting guard or anything else. We shouldn't try to pigeonhole him into a particular position on offense. Lamelo is a magician on offense who will impact the game regardless. Growing up in high school lamelo did not play point guard. That was his brother lonzo. He is very comfortable playing as a second ball handler and initiator.

Lamelo at heart is a connector. His ability to make Split Second decisions with the ball means he doesn't need the ball in his hands very long to make something positive happen. He doesn't need to be the guy that dribbles the ball up the court and has a screen set for him at the top of the key. You can just as easily get the ball in his hands on a second action and let him work his magic ( also helps him save a ton of energy).

I don't see lamelo as a James Harden Luka type player who needs to have the ball for 95% of every possession. I know Clifford was trying to play him that way last year, but I actually disagreed with how Clifford ran the offense, no surprises there. Borrego had a much better understanding of how the offense should just be a bunch of unselfish dudes keeping the ball moving.

Adding someone like scoot to play next to lamelo would not diminish his impact in any way, in my opinion. In fact, I think it frees him up to focus on what he does the best.

Hear ya

If Scoot is the pick I do hope that a coach who agrees with your approach replaces Clifford sooner rather than later
KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 831

Post#373 » by KingCat » Thu Jun 1, 2023 8:23 pm

fatlever wrote:

Honestly if we commit to Scoot, my dream is LaMelo turns into a billionaire version of Batum.
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#374 » by JMAC3 » Thu Jun 1, 2023 8:34 pm

fatlever wrote:What's important for me is I think it's unfair to put labels on lamelo as a point guard or shooting guard or anything else. We shouldn't try to pigeonhole him into a particular position on offense. Lamelo is a magician on offense who will impact the game regardless. Growing up in high school lamelo did not play point guard. That was his brother lonzo. He is very comfortable playing as a second ball handler and initiator.

He played 1 year of high school basketball with Lonzo, the next 2 years in HS he played point, played point in Latvia or wherever, then played point in Australia. I don't think him playing SG as a freshman in high school is a strong selling point at this point.

I don't think the only two options are play like Luka or draft Scoot though. He ran more PnR this year probably because we simply lacked other guys who had offensive functionality. What else were they going to do? Post Plumlee up? Let PJ Iso?

LaMelo went from 28.2% to 30% Usage
We saw Terry usage go up from 23% to 27%
Oubre usage went up from 23% to 26.5%
PJ went from 15.6% to 20.6%

We saw these jumps because LaMelo was hurt, Miles was out, Gordon was hurt, Kelly was out etc...

Getting Miles back who is going to use 22.6% of possessions will help, that is a big loss.
Then if we do draft Miller his usage in college was 26%, so he would be a big addition as well.

Basically, whoever we add will help take the load off LaMelo, it doesn't have to be a traditional PnR ball handler.
Big Board
Goodecharlotte
Sophomore
And1: 124

Post#375 » by Goodecharlotte » Thu Jun 1, 2023 8:38 pm

All this talk of Scoot only being 6,2" is being slightly exaggerated now, Muggsy was what 5.3" and one hell of a basketball player it just shows if you have the desire and mental character you'll achieve your goals
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,172

Post#376 » by SWedd523 » Thu Jun 1, 2023 9:08 pm

Goodecharlotte wrote:All this talk of Scoot only being 6,2" is being slightly exaggerated now, Muggsy was what 5.3" and one hell of a basketball player it just shows if you have the desire and mental character you'll achieve your goals

And if my mother had wheels she would have been a bike
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Post#377 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu Jun 1, 2023 9:15 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
Goodecharlotte wrote:All this talk of Scoot only being 6,2" is being slightly exaggerated now, Muggsy was what 5.3" and one hell of a basketball player it just shows if you have the desire and mental character you'll achieve your goals

And if my mother had wheels she would have been a bike

Lol
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#378 » by fatlever » Thu Jun 1, 2023 10:09 pm

KingCat wrote:
fatlever wrote:

Honestly if we commit to Scoot, my dream is LaMelo turns into a billionaire version of Batum.

billionaire batum is larry bird... another magician who didnt need ball in his hands for very long to make impact plays. bird and lamelo read the game the same way.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#379 » by fatlever » Thu Jun 1, 2023 10:11 pm

we ran more pnr roll with melo because cliff specifically said thats what he wanted.
Braggins
RealGM

Post#380 » by Braggins » Fri Jun 2, 2023 4:15 am

I think LaMelo would benefit more than anyone from drafting Scoot, assuming they want to play together. Mark Williams also stands to benefit a lot. Scoot/LaMelo/Mark + spacing is a ready made offensive engine that I'm not sure even Clifford could screw up.

I think they will be next years Kings if they take Scoot. I wouldn't expect them to literally get the 3rd seed because there are more good regular season teams in the East, but I think they could make that kind of leap as a franchise.

Return to Charlotte Hornets