ImageImage

Pick # 27 Discussion

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Re: Pick # 27 Discussion 

Post#41 » by wilson115 » Thu May 25, 2023 1:00 pm

Dean is seriously all-in on this kid. (Comp: Ben Wallace.) Is it crazy to take a center as BPA if he's there at #27?

yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Post#42 » by yosemiteben » Thu May 25, 2023 1:15 pm

I would take Lively at 27. Don't care how many stabs we've taken at C, let's lock up the center rotation long term.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,160

Post#43 » by JMAC3 » Thu May 25, 2023 2:02 pm

Yeah Bailey is in everyone's winner of the combine articles. He probably ends up going in the mid teens based on how young he is.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#44 » by JMAC3 » Thu May 25, 2023 2:03 pm

yosemiteben wrote:I would take Lively at 27. Don't care how many stabs we've taken at C, let's lock up the center rotation long term.

Yeah he is another guy that has probably increased his draft stock based on everything I have read. He shot the ball way better at combine than expected, so he has that going plus big, rebounds and blocks shots. Basically that is starting center level skills and should put him into consideration as soon as pick 10.
Big Board
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#45 » by yosemiteben » Thu May 25, 2023 2:34 pm

If we can get Lively with 27 (or by trading 27 + other stuff to move up to get him), I am willing to absolve Mitch of his 2022 draft crime of trading that pick.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#46 » by JMAC3 » Thu May 25, 2023 2:42 pm

yosemiteben wrote:If we can get Lively with 27 (or by trading 27 + other stuff to move up to get him), I am willing to absolve Mitch of his 2022 draft crime of trading that pick.

Really? I like Lively, but adding another center to this team seems like too many mouths to get fed.

Unless you think Lively is just so talented that he has potential to be a Jokic, Embiid, Davis, Bam, KAT or Sabonis.
Big Board
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#47 » by yosemiteben » Thu May 25, 2023 3:01 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:If we can get Lively with 27 (or by trading 27 + other stuff to move up to get him), I am willing to absolve Mitch of his 2022 draft crime of trading that pick.

Really? I like Lively, but adding another center to this team seems like too many mouths to get fed.

Unless you think Lively is just so talented that he has potential to be a Jokic, Embiid, Davis, Bam, KAT or Sabonis.

I'm more just done with having a revolving door of non-paint and board controlling Cs, and both Mark and Lively have that ability, along with incredible length and athleticism and flashes of more offensive potential.

Would love to lay a defensive foundation with those two guys.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#48 » by JMAC3 » Thu May 25, 2023 3:04 pm

I think he is a good prospect, but probably goes top 20 for sure, maybe higher. Not sure I love him so much to move up the board for him is all I am saying.
Big Board
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#49 » by yosemiteben » Thu May 25, 2023 5:32 pm

JMAC3 wrote:I think he is a good prospect, but probably goes top 20 for sure, maybe higher. Not sure I love him so much to move up the board for him is all I am saying.

Oh yeah I hear ya. I'm not necessarily completely infatuated, but we have so many picks that I like consolidating some and making a move to get him.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,052

Post#50 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu May 25, 2023 5:55 pm

I have plenty of concerns about Lively on the offensive end, but that dude is a phenomenal rim runner and blocks everything.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#51 » by LofJ » Thu May 25, 2023 11:53 pm

If we could somehow trade for another late lottery pick Gradey Dick would be an awesome addition to the team (Dick & Ball baby). After Miller he's the 2nd best shooting prospect in this draft.

Read on Twitter
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Post#52 » by wilson115 » Sun May 28, 2023 8:14 am

LofJ wrote:Julian Phillips is an incredible athlete and doesn't need both feet to elevate. He also shot 82% from the line on ample volume. He's one of the biggest sleepers in this draft for sure.

Read on Twitter

His offense needs work but his defensive #s are really intriguing. Shot 82.5% on his free throws with the most attempts on his team and looks jacked. But somehow I see him going late second on some boards. (Like Givony's.)

Tennessee held opponents to score 81.0 points per 100 possessions when Phillips was on the court, which was the lowest mark among all players in Division I. His team allowed an additional 19.0 points per 100 possessions when he was off the floor, which was the second-largest swing among all high-major players.

His defense when guarding the perimeter was particularly valuable and impactful. The Vols allowed opposing teams to shoot just 21.1 percent on 3-pointers when Phillips was on the floor, per CBB Analytics, which was the best mark among all players in college basketball.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2023/05/julian-phillips-transfer-portal-recruiting-stats

amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,235

Post#53 » by amcoolio » Sun May 28, 2023 2:12 pm

Have we ever taken the player the board wants us to take with late draft picks? I feel like its always some out of left field pick that nobody saw coming
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,832

Post#54 » by Diop » Sun May 28, 2023 2:50 pm

Gotta be a high chance of trade for this one,

We are a “playoff team” remember!
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Post#55 » by HornetJail » Sun May 28, 2023 4:10 pm

amcoolio wrote:Have we ever taken the player the board wants us to take with late draft picks? I feel like its always some out of left field pick that nobody saw coming

the one time we did, we immediately swapped him for PJ Hairston
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,499

Post#56 » by GoBobs » Mon May 29, 2023 12:14 pm

JMAC3 wrote:

So right now we have.... and maybe we will bring back....

PG: Ball/DSJ/Maledon

SG: Rozier/McGowens//Bouknight/Svi Mykhailiuk

SF: Hayward/Cody Martin//Oubre

PF: PJ Washington/M. Bridges/JT Thor

C: M. Williams/N. Richards/Kai Jones

Before #27 gets on the floor you also have to carve out some time for #2. Some roster change is possible, but I think we are going to be focused on trying to win next year. Clifford knows he is on the clock and he isn't going to want to see all the vets traded so that he has to include 27 in the rotation.

Every position is deep with talent that might be better than the guy at 27. If a 2nd rookie wants to be in the rotation they are going to have to out compete somebody.

My guess is we draft 3 players, or draft 4 players and stash 1. Highly doubt we draft a center after feeling like we hit on Mark and just extended Richards, but we should if they are BPA.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Post#57 » by HornetJail » Mon May 29, 2023 4:21 pm

GoBobs wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:

So right now we have.... and maybe we will bring back....

PG: Ball/DSJ/Maledon

SG: Rozier/McGowens//Bouknight/Svi Mykhailiuk

SF: Hayward/Cody Martin//Oubre

PF: PJ Washington/M. Bridges/JT Thor

C: M. Williams/N. Richards/Kai Jones

Before #27 gets on the floor you also have to carve out some time for #2. Some roster change is possible, but I think we are going to be focused on trying to win next year. Clifford knows he is on the clock and he isn't going to want to see all the vets traded so that he has to include 27 in the rotation.

Every position is deep with talent that might be better than the guy at 27. If a 2nd rookie wants to be in the rotation they are going to have to out compete somebody.

My guess is we draft 3 players, or draft 4 players and stash 1. Highly doubt we draft a center after feeling like we hit on Mark and just extended Richards, but we should if they are BPA.

there's a lot of fat on this roster to be trimmed.

Even before getting into what to do with Rozier/Hayward long-term, and our #2 pick, the roster could easily be trimmed down to:
Melo
Rozier/McGowens
Hayward
Bridges/PJ/Thor
Mark/Kai

I've really only included Kai/Thor/Bryce for potential, so realistically we only have 6 players that aren't extremely replaceable, before drafting at #2. We wouldn't miss anybody else if they were salary dumped or just walk in FA. I don't think any player on the team aside from LaMelo, Bridges, PJ, Mark, maybe Rozier, and (Scoot/Miller) should have any bearing on any roster decisions involving a late 1st.

In any case, there's about an 80% chance the 27th pick is stashed in the D-League for a year unless Steve Clifford falls in love with the dude on the first day of training camp. Doesn't matter whether the pick is, or which player they're competing for minutes with.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
bravor
Starter
And1: 736

Post#58 » by bravor » Mon May 29, 2023 4:33 pm

Cody Martin is a keeper (unless blablabla). He's among the wing's depth on a nice contract, knowing the unpredictable outcome with Bridges, the extension of Ball, the expiring contract of Hayward, and the offseason (with or without PJ, all the rookie contracts starting by the #2 etc).
Player's level is one thing, but flexibility is another. You won't stockpile potential AS on each spot (which is why Cody's contract and even Richards's are so nice and something you dont overlook with disdain).
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,247

Post#59 » by luciano-davidwesley » Mon May 29, 2023 10:00 pm

bravor wrote:Cody Martin is a keeper (unless blablabla). He's among the wing's depth on a nice contract, knowing the unpredictable outcome with Bridges, the extension of Ball, the expiring contract of Hayward, and the offseason (with or without PJ, all the rookie contracts starting by the #2 etc).
Player's level is one thing, but flexibility is another. You won't stockpile potential AS on each spot (which is why Cody's contract and even Richards's are so nice and something you dont overlook with disdain).

Agreed. While they aren't irreplaceable, I'm very happy with having Martin and Richards as part of our core rotation for now. Value contract role players that have a defined role on the team.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#60 » by JMAC3 » Tue May 30, 2023 10:02 pm

If we take Miller 2, assuming we flip Rozier somewhere.

I like taking a bigger 2 guard that could earn mins at 2 as a defender.

JHS, Max Lewis, Rupert, Coulibaly, Cissoko are all guys that I would eye.

Filling in the 2 guard spot by committee this year could make sense. We have Martin, McGowens, Bouk, 27th pick, maybe a vet in Rozier deal, some Miller mins playing big lineup... Potentially Oubre, DSJ, Svi still too. A lot of darts we can throw and maybe one hits as a longterm fit. Similar to the approach we took at center last year.
Big Board

Return to Charlotte Hornets