ImageImage

No Shirt No Problem: The Amari Bailey Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,508

Re: No Shirt No Problem: The Amari Bailey Thread 

Post#61 » by Pelly24 » Thu Jul 6, 2023 12:17 am

JMAC3 wrote:Espn ranked him 5th, 247sports had him 10th best freshman. Guy has a ton of raw talent but played on a Veteran UCLA team so he had a smaller role most the year playing the 2 guard to Tyga Campbell.

Really what sold me was his final 6 games and how well he played at the combine scrimmages. Felt like he was one of the top 3 guys that played there. Averaged 17.5 ppg over his last 6 games which were the conf tourney and Ncaa tourney so he played his best basketball when they needed him the most.

I think long-term his best position will be point guard and if he went back to school he could of easily been a lottery pick next year. His size is iffy at 6-3 barefoot and only a 6-7 wingspan. Not a super athlete, but really skilled in the mid range game, shot 39% from three on a low number of attempts and he plays at his own speed, doesn't get sped up. Kind of reminds me a bit of Dlo and Brunson in that way. Will probably be a guy that needs some time to develop into a true pg though because he played mostly off ball this year.

I've been high on Bailey for years because of his movement skills, IQ and creativity. I think what's funny is that there was a bunch of film that showed him completely dominating high school with his all-around ability as a ball-dominating guard, but then at UCLA he did all the little things even when he was off ball. That's what sold me. But then in his NCAA run, when he finally got the opportunities to score regularly, he started dominating for stretches. His feel for accelerating and decelerating, orienting his body square to the basket, and even his vision and finishing skills are all pluses. People mention his height and his athleticism as being kind of underwhelming, but the average shooting guard that's actually good is usually 6'4" or 6'5" in shoes with an 8'6" ish standing reach. Amari has an 8'7.5" standing reach (higher than DWade's, about the same as Harden's) and a 6'7" wingspan is solid. He's not a super super high-flyer, but he's a great athlete. He's got much more burst than D'Angelo Russell, is more fluid/a bit shiftier than Jalen Brunson. He reminds me of Kyrie Irving with his athleticism, as it's continually underestimated, but they can get by people with amazingly fleet feet (running back/corner back agility) and an explosive, yet deceptive first step. He's not a 9/10 athlete, but certainly an 8/10, no major weaknesses. Great mover laterally and north to south.

I wish he'd ended up on a different team, because if he gets the minutes I could see him being a real contributor as a rookie. I've said he reminds me of a more athletic D. Lo Russell or a higher-IQ Jordan Clarkson with better intangibles and lateral movement. I've been impressed in both games so far, only proven what I already thought.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,259

Post#62 » by amcoolio » Thu Jul 6, 2023 12:20 am

He looks like a young George Hill on the court to me, a bit more athletic. He's definitely a keeper and needs to start in Vegas, unfortunately our uncreative organization set a rule of "if you are drafted higher, you start and play more, no exceptions" hopefully we move/cut Bouknight this week and NSJ moves to the bench
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Pelly24
Lead Assistant

Post#63 » by Pelly24 » Thu Jul 6, 2023 12:40 am

JMAC3 wrote:
fatlever wrote:I'm very curious to know for people that have watched a lot of both guys as to what makes Nick a higher ranked Prospect than Bailey?

Is it simply that he's slightly bigger? Is he considered a better three-point shooter? Which one is the better defender? It does seem pretty clear that Bailey is the better passer or creator of the two. They both seem to operate in the mid-range as their bread and butter. Both seem to be similarly built.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM Forums mobile app

Smith overall is bigger, better shooter and more of a bucket getter. Amari is a smart basketball player, but he doesn't have the tool box of scoring moves that Smith has.

Amari has a chance to be a really solid pro, but if NSJ hits he could be a top 3 guard from the class.

TBH, I feel like there's some sort of weird thing that's obscured Amari's value. You would think that averaging an efficient 11 points per game while being a plus defender on a veteran college team that goes to the Final Four wouldn't be so overlooked. Hell, he even hit what should've been the shot to send them to the championship game if not for the miracle three the next play. I don't love these stats all the time, but Nick Smith Jr. average 12.5 points 1.6 rebounds and 1.7 assists on 38/34/74 splits. According to college bball reference, he had a 97 offensive rating and a 103 defensive rating. I'll give the caveat that he was dealing with a knee injury. But that's not impressive.

On the other hand, Amari averaged 11/4/2 on 50/39/70 splits and had a 101 offensive rating and a 92.8 defensive rating. He only played better once the tournament started, and he averaged 17/5/3 on 66 TS%. And like I said, it's even more impressive when you consider that he didn't even get to play to his maximum strengths. There's a world where he averaged 20/5/5 on decent efficiency and good defense on a good team and he's a top 10 pick. But going to UCLA was costly, because people didn't evaluate the right way.

As for shot-making, peep this. Like, this is all incredible creativity and shot-making off the dribble, same with passing. Open court plays, etc.
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,146

Post#64 » by Snidely FC » Thu Jul 6, 2023 1:49 pm

Yeah, I'm afraid Bailey finds himself here in a similar situation to UCLA. Somewhat blocked.

Considering how good he looked running offenses at the combine you would think the Hornets would trot him out in SL as lead guard. Instead, it's NSJ, who they are featuring as initiator, even though he is a ball stopper, relegating Amari to the wing.

Still, Amari's SL play thus far has shone a light on why his bbiq would make him an excellent backcourt complement to LaMelo; I hope Hornets management takes note
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,663

Post#65 » by yosemiteben » Thu Jul 6, 2023 1:52 pm

I wouldn't read too much into SL minutes. Last summer JT Thor was 9th on the team in minutes played, and he's the only one that spent time on our SL team that consistently was in the rotation last season.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,200

Post#66 » by JMAC3 » Thu Jul 6, 2023 2:18 pm

Amari appears to be more of a slasher, who seeks out contact. I feel like that is a good playstyle next to LaMelo.
He has actually missed some easy layups and also missed 5 free throws game 1. His stat lines could have looked a lot better.

Hoping to see him get some reps at pg in Vegas.

His playstyle seems to be the opposite of NSJ, who is more of a create space and shot maker.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
Pelly24
Lead Assistant

Post#67 » by Pelly24 » Thu Jul 6, 2023 3:36 pm

Snidely FC wrote:Yeah, I'm afraid Bailey finds himself here in a similar situation to UCLA. Somewhat blocked.

Considering how good he looked running offenses at the combine you would think the Hornets would trot him out in SL as lead guard. Instead, it's NSJ, who they seem to be promoting as initiator, even though he is a ball stopper, relegating Amari to the wing.

Still, Amari's SL play thus far has shone a light on why his bbiq would make him an excellent backcourt complement to LaMelo; I hope Hornets management takes note

Yup. TBH idk what scouts/teams are missing. They should let Amari run point, he's better at that than these guys, who look like they look down when they dribble.

What's promising is that Amari is best optimized on ball, but between UCLA and here, he's shown that he's a great cutter and opportunistic slasher who can get buckets in the flow of an offense and defend. I hope he gets a chance to be on ball though
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,441

Post#68 » by Hornet Mania » Thu Jul 6, 2023 5:43 pm

Bailey looks like the lost 3rd Martin brother to me, not a bad thing at all. From what I've seen from our SL team he and Miller are the only ones who've shown me they have a chance to carve out a future in the league.
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 971

Post#69 » by wilson115 » Fri Jul 7, 2023 1:26 pm

Shooting 57.1% over 2 games. +/- +22 last game despite losing by 15. (Nnaji next at -4.)

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
MPM
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,714

Post#70 » by MPM » Fri Jul 7, 2023 1:29 pm

Somebody had mentioned George Hill - he does remind me of him. Through the first two I've been impressed - a keeper.
wilson115
Sixth Man

Post#71 » by wilson115 » Sat Jul 8, 2023 2:53 am

Read on Twitter
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,533

Post#72 » by Bassman » Sat Jul 8, 2023 4:03 am

I REALLY like Bailey…see him eventually developing into a solid rotation combo guard for us.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
vorbis
Veteran
And1: 675

Post#73 » by vorbis » Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:39 pm

Bailey has perhaps been the player most harmed by the total lack of organization offensively with the summer league team.

I like his playing mentality, kind of a "no excuses" kind of player. he's got good awareness defensively, does a good job of knowing when to anticipate the break on rebounds and turnovers. his shot looks pretty good, and he attacks the rim really well. his finishing at the rim hasn't shown up like I thought it might after looking at some college video, but again, nobody on the entire team is shooting with confidence right now.

he's kind of a C level NBA athlete at this point, which will probably limit his ultimate upside, but I don't see any reason why he can't be a rotation player with development. and if he has a difference-making mentality, that could make him a starter at some point.
vorbis
Veteran
And1: 675

Post#74 » by vorbis » Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:17 pm

Read on Twitter
wilson115
Sixth Man

Post#75 » by wilson115 » Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:34 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,666

Post#76 » by fatlever » Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:03 pm

He looked really good today

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM Forums mobile app
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,666

Post#77 » by fatlever » Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:22 pm

Bailey looks like a grizzled 30-year-old ABA vet from the '70s who just walked through a time portal and showed up in the year 2023.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,146

Post#78 » by Snidely FC » Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:02 pm

Bailey is one of the reasons Hornets should waive goodbye to Kai Jones James Bouknight and Bryce McGowens. Those guys are surplus to requirements. Time to give someone new an opportunity. Bailey on a two way contract is ridiculous, make room, give him a real contract, and give him the same opportunity as Nick Jr
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,253

Post#79 » by luciano-davidwesley » Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:58 pm

I'm not ready to give up on McGowens just yet. Cutting Jones and/or Bouknight is more than enough flotsam for one year.

McGowens deserves more time.
walkerwilson416
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#80 » by walkerwilson416 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:13 am

Return to Charlotte Hornets