ImageImage

Rozier to Miami

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

MPM
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,714

Re: Rozier to Miami 

Post#21 » by MPM » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:59 pm

JMAC3 wrote:I think it is alright trade, probably give it a C.
KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 831

Post#22 » by KingCat » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:03 pm

Thought we would have atleast grabbed a defender like Highsmith from them but oh well. Hope Miller is fully prepared for this usage jump.
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,074

Post#23 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:04 pm

JMAC3 wrote:I think it is alright trade, probably give it a C. The pick is 3 drafts away and likely will be in the 20s, Lowry is likely bought out so we really didn't add anything to our roster this year.

This gives us roughly 50 million in cap space assuming the rookie we take costs in the 5-8 million dollar range.

Wonder who we will target in FA?
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,666

Post#24 » by fatlever » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:05 pm

The value on this trade hinges on what we can flip Lowry for. If he just ends up as another buyout that would be disappointing.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#25 » by fatlever » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:06 pm

Surprised we couldn't get one of their role players added in to this deal

And hats off to Terry who busted his ass here for 4 years playing on a s*** team. In different circumstances he would have been a much more valued and respected player. It was just not the right fit next to lamelo

He will be great in miami. And I hope he kills it in the playoffs.

Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,074

Post#26 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:06 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:I think it is alright trade, probably give it a C. The pick is 3 drafts away and likely will be in the 20s, Lowry is likely bought out so we really didn't add anything to our roster this year.

This gives us roughly 50 million in cap space assuming the rookie we take costs in the 5-8 million dollar range.

Wonder who we will target in FA?

Miles Bridges and badly needed depth.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#27 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:06 pm

50 mil in cap space, likely a top 5 pick, and a good young trio to build around in Melo/Miller/Mark.

We will be much more attractive for a HC this off-season. If we hit on key FA and the lottery pick we could really turn this around quickly.

Surprised more people aren't loving this trade. We really freed up a lot of flexibility assuming we don't trade Hayward for more salary.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,074

Post#28 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:07 pm

fatlever wrote:The value on this trade hinges on what we can flip Lowry for. If he just ends up as another buyout that would be disappointing.

I don't see anyone wanting Lowry. Maybe a 2nd or something. He's been horrific this season.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
countryboi
Head Coach
And1: 1,303

Post#29 » by countryboi » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:08 pm

fatlever wrote:The value on this trade hinges on what we can flip Lowry for. If he just ends up as another buyout that would be disappointing.

Does Kyle have any value??
The Cut Podcast, An Hilarious barbershop style discussion podcast. Watch us on Youtube and listen to us on all major Podcast Platforms. https://linktr.ee/thecut_podcast
KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 831

Post#30 » by KingCat » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:08 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:

I don't see anyone wanting Lowry. Maybe a 2nd or something. He's been horrific this season.

Just a repeat of the Reggie Jackson situation from last year. I actually prefer we keep him since we always have a key player scheduled to miss 2 or 3 weeks with injuries and would rather not see a starting back court of Bryce and Ish come March.
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
MPM
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,714

Post#31 » by MPM » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:12 pm

KingCat wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:

Just a repeat of the Reggie Jackson situation from last year. I actually prefer we keep him since we always have a key player scheduled to miss 2 or 3 weeks with injuries and would rather not see a starting back court of Bryce and Ish come March.

Yeah, if we're talking flipping him for a meh second or just buying him out, keep him as a mentor/culture/backup guy for the rest of the year and let him expire.
vorbis
Veteran
And1: 675

Post#32 » by vorbis » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:13 pm

I love the trade. not because I don't like Rozier, quite the opposite in fact. he was a good Hornet and he gave what he had to the team. he'll win games for the Heat. good for him going to a good team. he'll do well in the playoffs IMO.

I love the trade because it's the correct move, and one that the front office has been reluctant to do recently. and with a report that the Hornets are not done accumulating assets ahead of the trade deadline, I'm encouraged by what seems to be a sensible approach to organizing the roster for this off-season.

no half-measures!
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#33 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:14 pm

No more trades!

I rather just let Lowry and Hayward expire. If we aren't trading them for picks we should just stand pat and take the cap space.

If Bridges take something reasonable less than the max we could probably add another quality FA with Bridges coming back.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,561

Post#34 » by HornetJail » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:16 pm

Knew it was happening eventually, can't help but feel mildly underwhelmed by the return but a 2027 or 2028 Miami 1st could be something valuable. Just glad we're not standing pat
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,288

Post#35 » by JDR720 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:16 pm

W-we actually did something?!?!

Lowry should have some suiters too. I'd want a 1st for him too.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#36 » by fatlever » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:18 pm

Very underwhelming return for Terry who was having a career year. We needed to pick a direction and we've done that. Hopefully this gives the GM and new coach a clean slate to work with over the summer. But it is pretty disappointing that Mitch could not get more value for Terry than this. A protected first round pick is pretty pathetic and not getting any young players in return. And probably 80% chance that we're unable to find a trade for Lowry and end up buying him out. All this for cap space to be used to resign miles and potentially not address our backup point guard and backup center positions again in the off season.

At least we did something

fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#37 » by fatlever » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:20 pm

countryboi wrote:

Does Kyle have any value??
I still think he would have value to a playoff team as a backup point guard and leadership. I know he's not had a good season, but he's a winner and he still knows how to contribute in the playoffs.

But I think finding matching expiring salaries and a team willing to give up some type of compensation will be difficult. I think the only way to flip Lowry would be to take on a bad contract.

I fully expect Lowry to get bought out after the trade deadline

fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#38 » by fatlever » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:21 pm

We should have made stipulations on this trade that Pat Riley has to make the pick for us.

JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,288

Post#39 » by JDR720 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:22 pm

The value here is pretty mediocre at best. I figured career year Rozier would have more value than a late 1st. A single one at that. Seems like just about everyone gets traded for multiple 1sts these days. This almost seems like a salary dump more than anything.

Realistically, I doubt Lowry has much value either.

Gordon too.

So this is probably all we'll do this deadline.
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#40 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:25 pm

I swear if we trade that cap space for Zach Lavine I will be so crushed. I forgot we wanted him earlier in the season. Please don't do it Mitch!

Return to Charlotte Hornets