What do u do if?

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Sebzor
Bench Warmer
And1: 5

What do u do if? 

Post#1 » by Sebzor » Mon Jan 7, 2008 9:29 pm

IF u get the '08 1st pick:
1) draft D. Rose & keep roster (or make minor changes)
2) draft D. Rose & trade R. Felton for PF-C next to EO50 (ex. C. Villaneuva)
3) draft M. Beasley & keep roster
4) trade 1st pick to a team with 2 high 1st rounders (ex. SEA)(& draft Hibbert & Augustin)

I would select 1 or 2
"So, the caterpillar has emerged from its cocoon as a shark, with a gun for a mouth."
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
e4Nf6
Starter
And1: 1

Post#2 » by e4Nf6 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 12:58 am

Beasley is the clear pick, maybe Jordan if we're feeling ambitious.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,167

Post#3 » by Rich4114 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 5:29 am

Whoever is supposed to be the clear cut #1, especially if they're a big.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#4 » by BigSlam » Tue Jan 8, 2008 1:29 pm

I'm not opposed to trading down and getting two picks - so long as one of the picks is top 5 and the other is mid lotto.
B B M F 'ers
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,167

Post#5 » by Rich4114 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 6:37 pm

Trading down would be stupid for a team that sucks. Unless there's a shortage on players we should take whoever the best player is. If this draft had a Michael Jordan in it at #1 would you trade down to get a Tony Delk and a George Zidek? We don't need quantity anymore, we need quality.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#6 » by BigSlam » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:20 pm

Rich4114 wrote:Trading down would be stupid for a team that sucks. Unless there's a shortage on players we should take whoever the best player is. If this draft had a Michael Jordan in it at #1 would you trade down to get a Tony Delk and a George Zidek? We don't need quantity anymore, we need quality.
We took the "best player available" when we drafted Ammo even though we already had Crash at the 3. We took the "best player available" when we drafted McMay and already had EO50 at the 4. How did that work out????

You can't tell me that if we had the #1 overall and had a chance to trade that for say the #4 and the #12 and we could draft Jordan and Augustin that wouldn't be a smart move????
B B M F 'ers
Bowens
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 1

Post#7 » by Bowens » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:38 pm

BigSlam wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

We took the "best player available" when we drafted Ammo even though we already had Crash at the 3. We took the "best player available" when we drafted McMay and already had EO50 at the 4. How did that work out????

You can't tell me that if we had the #1 overall and had a chance to trade that for say the #4 and the #12 and we could draft Jordan and Augustin that wouldn't be a smart move????

I think it all depends on whose available when you pick. Right? But in this draft, I don't really think as of now there is a clear cut #1 franchise player so trading the pick is definitely an option.

How many teams have traded out of the #1 spot in the draft? The only one I can remember was Orlando when they exchanged Webber for Penny.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#8 » by BigSlam » Tue Jan 8, 2008 8:24 pm

Bowens wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I think it all depends on whose available when you pick. Right?

100%.

It also depends on team drafting postions etc. Until the balls drop and you know who is picking where and who is staying in the draft and who is pulling out, all this draft talk is just pie in the sky stuff.
B B M F 'ers
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,618

Post#9 » by fatlever » Tue Jan 8, 2008 8:49 pm

its waaaaaaaaay too early for me to start talking these kind of scenarios.... we dont even know who the consensus #1 guy is right now.

but in theory... i would stay at 1. we need a franchise, stud, all-world kind of talent on this team. we cant just keep adding nice players and expect to make a leap. we need a sure fire franchise player to build around. sadly, that player is not yet on our roster. drafting at 1 probably gives us a better chance to land a guy like that than drafting at 5.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#10 » by BigSlam » Tue Jan 8, 2008 9:14 pm

I agree with Fats. Like I said, it's way too early. But for the sake of argument..........

Augustin
JRich
Crash
EO50
Jordan

looks beter to me than

Felts
JRich
Beasley
Crash
EO50
B B M F 'ers
August Us Seazr
Pro Prospect
And1: 0
Location: Somebody tell me something really funny. I NEED a good laugh!

Post#11 » by August Us Seazr » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:00 pm

fatlever wrote:its waaaaaaaaay too early for me to start talking these kind of scenarios.... we dont even know who the consensus #1 guy is right now.

but in theory... i would stay at 1. we need a franchise, stud, all-world kind of talent on this team. we cant just keep adding nice players and expect to make a leap. we need a sure fire franchise player to build around. sadly, that player is not yet on our roster. drafting at 1 probably gives us a better chance to land a guy like that than drafting at 5.

I totally agree with Fats. There is a lot of season left to play. We do not know what the rest of the season holds yet. I do hope that the Bobcats decision-makers are going to choose intelligently, because we really NEED that guy who will put the team on his shoulders and will them to win.

Don't get me wrong, Okafor is a good player who adds a dimension to our team that no one else does, but Shaq O'Neal he ain't! Whether we address our lacking front court or the MIA point guard situation, we need a PLAYER who truly makes the Bobcats a much better team- A contender, not a pretender, if you will.

Sebzor, please bring this question back to us again in about five months, I think we will be in better shape to talk to you about it.

Claw on Cats!
In loving memory of Barbara Hickman Taylor 07/20/1955-11/27/2010. Rest in Peace Sweet Lady!

Return to Charlotte Hornets