hammers: bobcats vs pistons

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,618

hammers: bobcats vs pistons 

Post#1 » by fatlever » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:14 am

3 - wallace - under the circumstances, played great. made ton of amazing plays, but forced a lot of tough/bad shots.

2 - okafor - great bounce back game from him... cue felton conspiracy theories :lol: felton is out and okafor plays great.

1 - mohammed - another great effort

hm - richardson - tough to leave jrich out tonight. 8 assists. but he didnt really do anything down the stretch when we really could have used him.

hm2 - carroll made some huge plays tonight... but damn that missed ft hurt.

it was nice to not have mcminus out there for 25 minutes. not having to play 4 on 5 on offense is a good thing.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,238

Post#2 » by amcoolio » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:31 am

I'm still too mad. Don't see how you are happy. Lol.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#3 » by fatlever » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:35 am

not happy about the loss... just proud of the way the team played tonight.

i think i am just numb to seeing us lose close games, even when its a bs call by the refs... just like the houston game.
Bowens
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 1

Post#4 » by Bowens » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:47 am

3 - Wallace

2 - Okafor

1 - Nazr

Wow, what a game, except we lost. This game would have topped the Celtics win, except we lost.

I'm too stunned to give a full recap right now but I'll eek out something. It's 2:30 AM and I just finished watching the game because I was at my cousins watching football.

:banghead:

Wallace - Unbelievable :love:

Mek - Hello? Where have you been all season long? I guess you finally realized you ain't playin if you suckin. Also, I'm sure my posts here at realgm probably ticked you off which made you BRING IT ALL GAME LONG. About time Mek. This is the NBA, not college and you need to go hard ALL THE TIME...on both ends of the floor!!! Kudos to you for a great game. :clap: Oh and remember, this is just ONE game, I expect you to play like this next game too.

Nazr - Bringing it again! You've made a HUGE difference in our interior game. Love the shot, the rebounding and the blocks.

JRich - Meh, you had your good times and bad times in this one, but I can't blame you because you were going against the best perimeter defensive team in the league. You did get some nice rebounds, I believe you had a big block and also passed well. Good job.

Matt Carroll - Eh gad please, PASS THE BALL AND STOP DRIBBLING IN CIRCLES!!! You killed our flow quite a few times and you caused Crash to take some ridiculous shots with 1 second left on the shot clock. However, you did make a couple of nice layups in transition and got fouled. Too bad you couldn't make your damn free throws! :eek1:

Missed free throws cost us this game. Not the bad call by the ref in the OT. MISSED FREE THROWS. I knew it would come back to bite us in the ass.

McMinus :roll:
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,474

Post#5 » by Ballings7 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:47 am

1 - Nazr
2 - Emeka
3 - G-Wall

Got to see the 2nd half, got my cable (also internet) back just before the 2nd half.

I do think that was a bad call on the refs part, why not review it? It was very late in the game in OT. I don't think reviewing should just be for buzzer plays. But also a bit before the buzzer.

Really impressive effort from us, especially after the 2OT game the night before, and Detroit definitely had luck tonight to get out of there with that win.

I expect this team to come out well next game, and no let down, because of two tough losses.

Maybe it's because he's getting more opps. but Nazr's jumper is better to an extent, than I thought it was. May of just improved there, too.

Bowens wrote:Wow, what a game, except we lost. This game would have topped the Celtics win, except we lost.

Yup.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
DaBassSource
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#6 » by DaBassSource » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:21 pm

3-Crash ...took his game to another level...
2-Mek Played hard all game...
1-Nazr MJ made the right move here...Look at the Detroit board they are like he is a much better fit here than there...and Primoz has looked the same on both teams...

Bowens I have to disagree with you about the FT causing us to loose the game... you have a point that if we hit FTs then we would have scored those points but that does not mean we would have won...Detroit could have said if they had hit some of those open 3 pointers the game would not have been that close....
So since we did miss FTs and they missed open 3 pointers and given the circumstance and score at the time of the tip/tip in, the bad call caused us to be down 1 point with little time on the clock taking away any chance of us winning...granted we still would have had to stop them from throwing up something, but we probably would have won it.....
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#7 » by fatlever » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:58 pm

the bottom line is this....despite missing crucial fts that put us in a position to lose, we still managed to win the game on the nazr tip... UNTIL, the ref took it away from us.
Bowens
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#8 » by Bowens » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:56 pm

DaBassSource wrote:
Bowens I have to disagree with you about the FT causing us to loose the game... you have a point that if we hit FTs then we would have scored those points but that does not mean we would have won...Detroit could have said if they had hit some of those open 3 pointers the game would not have been that close....
So since we did miss FTs and they missed open 3 pointers and given the circumstance and score at the time of the tip/tip in, the bad call caused us to be down 1 point with little time on the clock taking away any chance of us winning...granted we still would have had to stop them from throwing up something, but we probably would have won it.....

Thats all fine and dandy you disagree, however, the 3 point shot is a LOW percentage play!! They had open 3 pointers because we packed it in and prevented them from getting easy baskets inside. Good strategy and good defense. SV played the odds and was successful there.

As for our free throw shooting, (a HIGH pct shot) if we had just matched our league LOW free throw pct by making ONE more, we would have won the game in regulation.

Blaming the refs is just an excuse to explain away our poor free throw shooting.
SamBone
Lead Assistant
And1: 4

Post#9 » by SamBone » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:49 pm

3-Mek =its about time you arrived, please stay
2-Nazr=starting to love this guy
1-Crash=if only he could set others up, he would be awesome. He can dominate a game, but that usually hurts us
2012 GMAT Christmas Edition : OKC Thunder

PG: DWill / Bayless
SG: DWade / VC / Grant Hill
SF: KD / MWP
PF: Ibaka / Landry
C : DMC / Dalembert / Kelly Olynyk

draft rites to Serey Karaey
DaBassSource
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#10 » by DaBassSource » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:10 am

Bowens wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Thats all fine and dandy you disagree, however, the 3 point shot is a LOW percentage play!! They had open 3 pointers because we packed it in and prevented them from getting easy baskets inside. Good strategy and good defense. SV played the odds and was successful there.

As for our free throw shooting, (a HIGH pct shot) if we had just matched our league LOW free throw pct by making ONE more, we would have won the game in regulation.

Blaming the refs is just an excuse to explain away our poor free throw shooting.
In any other situation I might agree....but if a bad call is made that takes the potential game winning basket off the scoreboard then in that case the call cost us the game...IMO if the call was never made and we just missed the shot then I could say yeah we left points out on the court due to poor FT shooting but in this case those points would not have mattered if the call was not made...but I guess it is a diff of opinion...and I agree we need to work on the FTs. MC missed some big ones...
Bowens
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#11 » by Bowens » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:03 am

DaBassSource wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

In any other situation I might agree....but if a bad call is made that takes the potential game winning basket off the scoreboard then in that case the call cost us the game...IMO if the call was never made and we just missed the shot then I could say yeah we left points out on the court due to poor FT shooting but in this case those points would not have mattered if the call was not made...but I guess it is a diff of opinion...and I agree we need to work on the FTs. MC missed some big ones...

Deep down you know I'm right. :nod:
vexco
Pro Prospect
And1: 183

Post#12 » by vexco » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:01 am

1. cheerleader second to left in dance routine......

i dunno the rest....i fell asleep after spending some quality time with myself while thinking about her!!
mapquest me
Paydro70
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 225

Post#13 » by Paydro70 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:06 pm

They're "high percentage" that count 1/3 the "low percentage" shots. Shooting 30% from 3 is equivalent to shooting 90% from the line. More importantly, we don't shoot FTs well, and never will, while they can (sometimes) shoot 3's well. Even if we shot 85% (which would be crazy) we would only have gained 6 points... if they make 2 open 3's (bringing their percentage to 31, which is still bad) they make up for it. So they were just as "unlucky" as us, is what I'm trying to say.

Not much point in obsessing over shot percentages, bad things happen. It's only because we're so starved for wins that we would care so much. I personally am just be happy that the team finally is playing well enough to force multiple OT games against good teams. Hopefully it translates into wins soon.
Bowens
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#14 » by Bowens » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:40 pm

Paydro70 wrote:They're "high percentage" that count 1/3 the "low percentage" shots. Shooting 30% from 3 is equivalent to shooting 90% from the line. More importantly, we don't shoot FTs well, and never will, while they can (sometimes) shoot 3's well. Even if we shot 85% (which would be crazy) we would only have gained 6 points... if they make 2 open 3's (bringing their percentage to 31, which is still bad) they make up for it. So they were just as "unlucky" as us, is what I'm trying to say.

Not much point in obsessing over shot percentages, bad things happen. It's only because we're so starved for wins that we would care so much. I personally am just be happy that the team finally is playing well enough to force multiple OT games against good teams. Hopefully it translates into wins soon.

We shot WORSE than the Pistons from 3 point land.

Again, you guys are just deflecting the blame.

Make your free throws and you win the game in regulation. Real simple. And this is going to continue to be a problem until we get guys in here who can make them.

And Matt Carroll stinks, he's the one who cost us this game. His all-around game is horrible and shouldn't even be in the NBA.
Paydro70
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Paydro70 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:01 pm

*shrug* My point was just that saying "it's a high percentage shot" is silly. These things are to some degree random, there's no point saying "we should have made our FTs" anymore than "we shouldn't have turned the ball over" or "we should have gotten more tomahawk dunks." We didn't.

However, you're right that it would be a change in personnel that would be necessary for our FT% to change. I see no way that JRich, Emeka, etc. improve their FT%, it's fairly rare to do so, and JRich in particular has been in the league long enough that it's probably not changing. The only one who I expect to improve is Carroll, because he's been so far out of whack this season. Even still, he's not going to be enough to bring the team up in that regard.

Your comments on Carroll in general are hard to take seriously, Bowens. So far you've attacked JRich, Ray, Emeka, McInnis (Deservedly), Carroll... to my knowledge the only player who matters you haven't demanded we trade is Crash. If Carroll goes on a streak and starts shooting 43/41/90 like last year, are we going to get a mea culpa, or will you still insist he be traded immediately? Not that it would ever happen, since we just extended him for a long time.
Bowens
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#16 » by Bowens » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:40 pm

Paydro70 wrote:*shrug* My point was just that saying "it's a high percentage shot" is silly. These things are to some degree random, there's no point saying "we should have made our FTs" anymore than "we shouldn't have turned the ball over" or "we should have gotten more tomahawk dunks." We didn't.

However, you're right that it would be a change in personnel that would be necessary for our FT% to change. I see no way that JRich, Emeka, etc. improve their FT%, it's fairly rare to do so, and JRich in particular has been in the league long enough that it's probably not changing. The only one who I expect to improve is Carroll, because he's been so far out of whack this season. Even still, he's not going to be enough to bring the team up in that regard.

Your comments on Carroll in general are hard to take seriously, Bowens. So far you've attacked JRich, Ray, Emeka, McInnis (Deservedly), Carroll... to my knowledge the only player who matters you haven't demanded we trade is Crash. If Carroll goes on a streak and starts shooting 43/41/90 like last year, are we going to get a mea culpa, or will you still insist he be traded immediately? Not that it would ever happen, since we just extended him for a long time.

Flip Saunders attacked his team for shooting way too many threes. He even called out Rip and said "it looked like he was at the state fair trying to win a stuffed animal." Point is, it's OK to hold the players accountable each game. EVERY game is important! These players get paid a tremendous amount of money and should not be immune to criticism.

Fans in Charlotte, especially Bobcat fans here at realgm for some reason feel like if they criticize the players, they aren't supporting the team. But again, these players get paid a lot of money to play to the best of their abilities every night, and if you don't get on them when they suck or aren't giving 100% effort, they will be happy to just cash their enormous paychecks and go home. They need the fans to constantly remind them that the object of the game is to win, not just to show up and concentrate on their own individual games.

We need winners here in Charlotte, who will do everything for the team in order to win. Thats why there needs to be accountability after each game. If there is none, then the players don't feel the sense of urgency to win games. You praise the players when they do well and hold them accountable when they have bad games. Thats what winning NBA coaches and franchises do.
Paydro70
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Paydro70 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:50 am

I understand what you're saying Bowens, but saying a player didn't play well one game, or week, or month is one thing, saying that someone "SUCKS" or needs to be traded as soon as possible is entirely different. JRich was a complete bum we were overpaying, then he (shockingly) got used to the team and started to really play great. Hammer started out the season our best player, now he's not shooting so well so he's garbage which we need to trade NOW.

You treat your complaints as though the team or the front office hears them and can respond. You're just complaining to other Bobcats fans, and doing so with ridiculous, unproductive hyperbole. We "need" winners, but "accountability" is not going to flow from your posts. The only reason for this board to exist is for fans to talk about what's going on with the team, swap trade suggestions, strategic recommendations, enjoy the victories and mourn the losses. We aren't "helping" the team, and while maybe your posts are cathartic for you, they're kind of annoying to me.

For instance... instead of "And Matt Carroll stinks, he's the one who cost us this game. His all-around game is horrible and shouldn't even be in the NBA." You might say "Man I can't believe Hammer is playing so badly lately! His ____ and ____ are both down a lot, I hope that he gets out of this slump! I think maybe he's taking too many ______ shots, he needs to get back to _______."

It just makes you look insane when you say he doesn't belong in the NBA, and now tonight he scores 19 on 6-11 shooting, 4-4 from the line.
Bowens
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#18 » by Bowens » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:26 am

Paydro70 wrote:I understand what you're saying Bowens, but saying a player didn't play well one game, or week, or month is one thing, saying that someone "SUCKS" or needs to be traded as soon as possible is entirely different. JRich was a complete bum we were overpaying, then he (shockingly) got used to the team and started to really play great. Hammer started out the season our best player, now he's not shooting so well so he's garbage which we need to trade NOW.

You treat your complaints as though the team or the front office hears them and can respond. You're just complaining to other Bobcats fans, and doing so with ridiculous, unproductive hyperbole. We "need" winners, but "accountability" is not going to flow from your posts. The only reason for this board to exist is for fans to talk about what's going on with the team, swap trade suggestions, strategic recommendations, enjoy the victories and mourn the losses. We aren't "helping" the team, and while maybe your posts are cathartic for you, they're kind of annoying to me.

For instance... instead of "And Matt Carroll stinks, he's the one who cost us this game. His all-around game is horrible and shouldn't even be in the NBA." You might say "Man I can't believe Hammer is playing so badly lately! His ____ and ____ are both down a lot, I hope that he gets out of this slump! I think maybe he's taking too many ______ shots, he needs to get back to _______."

It just makes you look insane when you say he doesn't belong in the NBA, and now tonight he scores 19 on 6-11 shooting, 4-4 from the line.

Listen Paydro, if you don't like how I respond then put me on ignore like Walt Con-kite did. (the man who gave a hammer to JRich for going 1-19) Just because you 2 stuffy characters don't enjoy reading what I have to say, doesn't mean everyone agrees with you.

It's sort of pompous of you to tell me how I should post. Everyone has a different style and we're all here to share our opinions. I'm not going to change because I believe in everything I say and I do it in an entertaining way.

Also, it would be nice if you guys focused MORE on the players instead of focusing on me.

Change is good, and one day you'll understand where I'm coming from.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#19 » by fatlever » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:04 am

voting closed

gold - wallace
silver - okafor
bronze - mohammed
Paydro70
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Paydro70 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:16 am

I'm not going to ignore you, because there aren't that many posters around here anyway, and you say interesting things sometimes. I'm not trying to make you my enemy or whatever, I just think that you go to "He doesn't belong in the NBA!" or "We gotta get Okafor out of here!" WAY too quickly, and you've flip-flopped on players several times within the context of the season. I would expect that to encourage you to tone it down, but apparently "accountability" means you have to threaten players who will never read your posts with trades after every bad game.

However, all of that was based on my previous assumption, which was that you were just saying stuff like "Carroll doesn't belong in the NBA," that we should play Ryan Hollins over Okafor, and that we should trade Okafor for Sean Williams, to get a reaction, not because you actually believed it. That's why I said it was hard to take it seriously...

Anyway, a stroll down memory lane:
"Matt Carroll is outplaying J-Brick so far for half the money and he didn't cost us a first round pick. Carroll at least hustles on both ends of the floor while J-Brick is a human turnstile on defense... Bottom line is this guy is killing us and if he doesn't step up his play soon, I want him gone. Looks like we got hosed in this deal!!"

Return to Charlotte Hornets