Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

fluffernutter
Sixth Man
And1: 52

Rating the Trades 

Post#1 » by fluffernutter » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:55 am

1) JRich for draft pick.
2) Nazr for Herrmann & "Pillow"

What do you think about these moves currently?

Personally... I think they have both worked out very well. I don't want to imagine this team without JRich. Please, don't make me. And Nazr has been a real revelation. I think it's changed the way Okafor plays, improved our spacing, helped Felton, and solidified our middle. I really think it was a clever trade. I miss Herrmann but... man, Nazr's had some solid games!
CarolinaCash
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#2 » by CarolinaCash » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:59 am

JRich trade was a great move. I would do this over in a heartbeat if i had to choose today. Even if Wright, Noah, Hawes, Thornton, etc turn out to be very good players it just made sense for the Bobcats to get a veteran shooting guard. It was a great move IMO. I also like the Dudley pick but wish we could have also nabbed his BC teammate, Sean Williams somehow. If Dudley wasn't the pick I wouldn't mind having PG Rudy Fernandez or Morris Almond.

I hated giving up Walter but love getting rid of Primoz. The other bad part was that they were expiring contracts.......i still think the Pistons wanted Nazr's contract off the books and would have done the deal with Primoz and Harrington instead. That being said I love the trade......Nazr's been a great additon and doesn't have much mileage so he will be good for years to come.
W_HAMILTON
RealGM
And1: 16,992

Post#3 » by W_HAMILTON » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:02 am

Uh...

...they were good?
Howard Mass wrote:You do not have the right to not be offended. Just because something is offensive to you does not mean that it breaks the board rules.
SteveMorrison15
Bench Warmer
And1: 51

Post#4 » by SteveMorrison15 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:54 am

Honestly, ask me this question after April 16th.

But as of now, I love Richardson here. I was hoping that Morrison would have been here to help with our attack. But Carroll has that role. Richardson gives us a leader. He knows what to do in certain situations and that helps our young guys learn to win. He fits with Wallace so well. Remember he was upset to come here but once he saw our team, he was excited to play with us. He knows he fits.

Nazr has been awesome!!! Everyone knows the bad feeling you got when Brezec had the ball. You were hoping he would pass it and that it would be a successful pass. He just wasn't getting it. But with Mohammed you know that he will do something good with the ball. He's awesome on defense and he doesn't rely on flopping to stop a player. He has a ring should I say more?

But when does something so good come easy?

we had to get rid of Herrmann himself. The man is an awesome player and I would have enjoyed seeing him play with us when we make it to the playoffs. But we will if we make the 8th seed which would force us to face Detroit.

I give both trades a 9 out of 10.

No 10 because we lost Herrmann.
GoBobcats
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#5 » by GoBobcats » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:27 am

SteveMorrison15 wrote:Honestly, ask me this question after April 16th.

But as of now, I love Richardson here. I was hoping that Morrison would have been here to help with our attack. But Carroll has that role. Richardson gives us a leader. He knows what to do in certain situations and that helps our young guys learn to win. He fits with Wallace so well. Remember he was upset to come here but once he saw our team, he was excited to play with us. He knows he fits.

Nazr has been awesome!!! Everyone knows the bad feeling you got when Brezec had the ball. You were hoping he would pass it and that it would be a successful pass. He just wasn't getting it. But with Mohammed you know that he will do something good with the ball. He's awesome on defense and he doesn't rely on flopping to stop a player. He has a ring should I say more?

But when does something so good come easy?

we had to get rid of Herrmann himself. The man is an awesome player and I would have enjoyed seeing him play with us when we make it to the playoffs. But we will if we make the 8th seed which would force us to face Detroit.

I give both trades a 9 out of 10.

No 10 because we lost Herrmann.

I agree.
Does trades really made sense!
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#6 » by BigSlam » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:39 pm

CarolinaCash wrote:JRich trade was a great move. I would do this over in a heartbeat if i had to choose today. Even if Wright, Noah, Hawes, Thornton, etc turn out to be very good players it just made sense for the Bobcats to get a veteran shooting guard. It was a great move IMO.

I agree with this. I said at the time that even if Wright lived up to the hype and became the next Bosh, I would still be more than ok with the trade. It's going to take Wright years to "get it" if at all and JSwish gave us instantly what we needed, lacked and craved.

Don't forget that Davidson was a throw in too!! He himself "might" end up to be a Bosh-lite type himself!!

Nazzy for Primoz and Fabio was also a win for us. Would have been nice to get a 2nd round pick or something out of it as well, but other than that it's worked out really well. Who knew he had that 15-18ft jump shot?? Short of the passing, he's every thing that I wanted when I wanted to draft Hibbert!
B B M F 'ers
August Us Seazr
Pro Prospect
And1: 0
Location: Somebody tell me something really funny. I NEED a good laugh!

Post#7 » by August Us Seazr » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:50 pm

Place me in the 9 category too. Anybody want to make a guess as to how many times we collectively had racked our brains trying to figure out how we would get an extra big through a trade? I think we had about a 99% chance of doing much worse. It was awful to lose Fabio, but a 4th year expansion team is not supposed to have collected all the pieces necessary to make significant trades, unless of course you want to deal "keeper" pieces. And I'm not ready to see Crash in ANYONE else's uniform during the time we have him signed for.

J-Rich has taken some time to acclimate himself to his new team, but I think he has been worth the wait. He makes it a "Pick your poison" deal when an opponent is on defense. Do you let Crash destroy you tonight, or does J-Rich destroy you? Now, if we just had a little luck on the injury front (as in not having any stinkin injuries) we might be talking about playoff seedings, instead of whether or not we make the playoffs at all.

Now, what about that killer March and April? Will our guys surprise or run out of steam?

Claw ON!
In loving memory of Barbara Hickman Taylor 07/20/1955-11/27/2010. Rest in Peace Sweet Lady!
CarolinaCash
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#8 » by CarolinaCash » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:52 pm

We coud resign Fabio after the year but I don't think Vincent liked him for whatever reason.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,160

Post#9 » by Rich4114 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:32 pm

Actually I think these trades worked out better than I had originally thought they would.

Imagine if we had yet another PF from UNC with injury problems that we couldn't really get anything out of this year? You'd never hear the end of it, eventhough he was by far the BPA at that point. It just would've been a bad fit for us, regardless of how he turns out to be down the road. We needed a high profile SG and we got one for what I consider a good deal. I was calling for this trade for weeks before the draft and was so psyched when they pulled it off. This was a good move.

The Primoz + Walter for Nazr also turned out good for us. At first you wonder why we didn't make them take back another contract or give us something else with Nazr because of how big his contract is... but in reality who would we have given them that has a few years left on their deal? There's nobody we would've wanted to give up. Not to mention simply getting rid of Primoz is a positive and with the way we were using Walter, he would've just left via free agency this summer anyway. Plus add in the fact that Nazr has been really playing well for us.... I'm happy with the move.

What I'm not happy with is not making a move like this sooner, especially when Walter's value was a bit higher. I'm also not happy they didn't buy one of Phoenix' draft picks this year or last, and it agitates me a little bit more that we ignored the backup PG position till last minute which stuck us with Mcinnis.

Overall this team has made some good moves, but they've also missed out on some great opportunities over the years. Jordans more aggressive approach is something I don't think Bernie would do if it were just Bernie running the show, so I'm happy about that at least. We've begun building value and talent, it'll be interesting to see if we can Bob Bass our way up into a top 4 team in the East by making the right moves from here on out now that our core is in place.

I know a lot of you guys won't like hearing it, but if we were to ever trade Wallace the return we'd get on him could be huge. He's the type of guy that would allow us to get in on talks for the bigger names out there should they become available in trades. (Amare, Kobe, etc. as examples). Of course I'm not saying we actively try dealing him, but in the past when opportunities of a superstar came along, we didn't really have the pieces other teams would want in exchange for those guys and still be able to be competitive.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#10 » by BigSlam » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:43 pm

Rich4114 wrote:I know a lot of you guys won't like hearing it, but if we were to ever trade Wallace the return we'd get on him could be huge. He's the type of guy that would allow us to get in on talks for the bigger names out there should they become available in trades. (Amare, Kobe, etc. as examples). Of course I'm not saying we actively try dealing him, but in the past when opportunities of a superstar came along, we didn't really have the pieces other teams would want in exchange for those guys and still be able to be competitive.

Why trade for a super star when Crash already is a super star who is getting paid under the odds?
B B M F 'ers
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#11 » by Rich4114 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:23 am

BigSlam wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Why trade for a super star when Crash already is a super star who is getting paid under the odds?

We have significant depth at SF. If we could have a super star who is more of a PF or C instead of a SF depending on who it is, we now have the flexibility to do that even if it involves trading Crash. Like I said, I'm not saying we would or should do that, but if we could get an Amare Stoudamire type of player for Crash it would allow us to have:

PG - Felton
SG - J-Rich
SF - Morrison
PF - Amare
C - Okafor

Just using Amare as an example. I guess it'd be pointless to get in on a deal for a star SG/SF that involved giving up Crash. You need dominating bigs in the NBA to win, and we don't have that right now.
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#12 » by Rich4114 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:32 am

It's probably bad to talk about this right now since Wallace is playing out of his mind... but remember I'm just sayin. :)

Return to Charlotte Hornets