We should have drafted....

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

doc.end
General Manager
And1: 191

Re: We should have drafted.... 

Post#21 » by doc.end » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:11 am

fatlever wrote:
Rich4114 wrote:This all started when we traded Kobe for Divac...

it all started when the hornets drafted jr reid at 5 to make the unc fans happy.

By this rate you will consider if claiming indepence from Great Britain wasn't a fault by the end of this season and that eating that apple wasn't a good idea by the time Emeka retires.
Paydro70
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 225

Post#22 » by Paydro70 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:30 am

I don't see your point...
A) I don't have a problem with what other teams choose to complain about, though I think the Rockets would come across pretty bad for complaining about drafting given how low/few their picks have been and how good their team is now.
B) your examples are all from 6+ years ago. This is a thread about this year, watching players who both sportswriters and ourselves thought were better picks than Ajinça... do better than Ajinça.

doc.end... what do you doubt? That we drafted a scrub, or that a message board is for celebrating/whining/arguing? I mean, I'm sorry that these threads annoy you... you could always not read them, though. Personally, I find comiserating over the stupidities of the front office a little bit comforting. The alternative to these threads is silence (not like you're going to get a thread praising our draft choices), so I don't see the point of getting annoyed with them. It's not like they're crowding up the board.

By the way, I just want to be clear that I don't think DJ's career is over or anything after his first game (for the record, I was neither excited nor upset with his pick... I though it was a bad move to pass on Jerryd Bayless, but it wasn't an obvious blunder). But I do think that the mistake of taking Ajinça is thrown into stark relief by the impressive starts that a lot of other rookies have had while our team struggles through with May and other crapola PFs.
doc.end
General Manager

Post#23 » by doc.end » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:59 am

I think we did mistakes but what's donu can't be undone. I found it sad we are reviewing this again and again instead of leaving it and looking ahead. Relying on what if in past is not good not only in basketball.
Paydro70
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by Paydro70 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:04 pm

It is certainly sad, that is true... but like I said, a message board is more group therapy than strategy session. Especially since I don't think anything can or will be done about this for at least this season.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,525

Post#25 » by Bassman » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:55 pm

The past doesn't blaze so brightly unless our future is dark.

THAT is why these threads exist. If the Bobcats were turning into a contender, or better yet becoming a quality team going deep into the playoffs, the mistakes of the past would be tucked into file 13.

Once the Panthers became a better team, and went to the Superbowl, who kept talking about the crappy drafts? The 1 win season??

This continues to bug us because we all know that this team is doomed. We've invested big money into 1 quality player (J-Rich), 1 average PF/C and 1 average SF. We have large long contracts in a career backup C (NM) and a SG that doesn't fit in this offense (MC). We have raw rookies and bad former picks to mix with some street agents. The teams around us get better...we fall behind.

It's a bad formula: mediocre players and no cap space.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,629

Post#26 » by fatlever » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:34 pm

it's all susan b anthony's fault. women shouldnt be allowed to vote.
Paydro70
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by Paydro70 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:55 pm

Negative, it was the Republican Party's willingness to give up on Reconstruction with the compromise of 1877.
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#28 » by Liqourish » Sun Nov 2, 2008 3:43 am

CarolinaCash wrote:Other notables:
Walter Herrmann 10 pts

Herrmann with 16 pts 7 rebs 4 asts and 1 stl in 23 minutes on 6-9 shooting including 3-4 from 3. :D
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,804

Post#29 » by floppymoose » Sun Nov 2, 2008 5:58 am

No love for Randolph. Not surprising. Everyone will forget about him now since he'll ride the pine this season under Nelson. He has a chance to be really special.
DaBassSource
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#30 » by DaBassSource » Sun Nov 2, 2008 8:43 am

floppymoose wrote:No love for Randolph. Not surprising. Everyone will forget about him now since he'll ride the pine this season under Nelson. He has a chance to be really special.

I personally wanted Randolph and Chalmers....
"Maybe I destroyed the game. But maybe, you're just making excuses.'' MJ
Paydro70
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by Paydro70 » Sun Nov 2, 2008 2:44 pm

I'm upset we took a total project at #21... if we took one at #9, I might have burned the arena down.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,525

Post#32 » by Bassman » Sun Nov 2, 2008 7:47 pm

I think it's fair to call DJ a minor project (slight pun intended), as few rookie PG's are able to come in and lead a team in their first year. DJ will be OK, maybe good one day, but I will be shocked if he becomes a GREAT PG (a la CP3). Ajinca is a MAJOR project and should be in the NBDL getting time and work.

CHALMERS! Isn't it funny what the "experts" would have said if the Cat's had been smart and gone BIG at 9 with Chalmers at 21: "The Bobcats reached for their 2nd 1st round pick, taking Chalmers after making a quality pick of need at #9 with (insert BIG's name here). Chalmers is a second round talent, despite leading Kansas to an NCAA championship."
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
doc.end
General Manager

Post#33 » by doc.end » Sun Nov 2, 2008 8:28 pm

Come on guys cdon't repeat mistakes, Ajinça was No.20 !
DaBassSource
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#34 » by DaBassSource » Mon Nov 3, 2008 1:51 am

Bassman wrote:I think it's fair to call DJ a minor project (slight pun intended), as few rookie PG's are able to come in and lead a team in their first year. DJ will be OK, maybe good one day, but I will be shocked if he becomes a GREAT PG (a la CP3). Ajinca is a MAJOR project and should be in the NBDL getting time and work.

CHALMERS! Isn't it funny what the "experts" would have said if the Cat's had been smart and gone BIG at 9 with Chalmers at 21: "The Bobcats reached for their 2nd 1st round pick, taking Chalmers after making a quality pick of need at #9 with (insert BIG's name here). Chalmers is a second round talent, despite leading Kansas to an NCAA championship."

Randolph much less of a project than Ajinca.
Chalmers less of a project than DJ.
"Maybe I destroyed the game. But maybe, you're just making excuses.'' MJ
CarolinaCash
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#35 » by CarolinaCash » Mon Nov 3, 2008 9:08 pm

Walter Herrmann is going to be one of the biggest mistakes of this franchise. Detroit's coach has called Herrmann one his best defensive players so far along with his solid offensive play. The reason Detroit was able to pull off the Iverson trade was because they trust Herrmann to take McDyess's minutes. He's a power forward who can defend and shoot from the outside and is a good person........I guess we don't need that.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#36 » by BigSlam » Mon Nov 3, 2008 9:26 pm

CarolinaCash wrote:Walter Herrmann is going to be one of the biggest mistakes of this franchise. Detroit's coach has called Herrmann one his best defensive players so far along with his solid offensive play. The reason Detroit was able to pull off the Iverson trade was because they trust Herrmann to take McDyess's minutes. He's a power forward who can defend and shoot from the outside and is a good person........I guess we don't need that.

:nod:
The sad part is that it's only one of many "biggest mistakes of this franchise". It's getting crowded at the top to see which is the biggest!!

This one stings the most though, because the guy who caused it. He he was never our coach, I bet we'd still have Fabio.
B B M F 'ers
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,629

Post#37 » by fatlever » Mon Nov 3, 2008 10:17 pm

i'll never forgive vincent for trading herrmann. NEVER! if i was going to the game tonight i would wear my herrmann jersey with pride. i hope he scores 30 on us tonight.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#38 » by chrbal » Tue Nov 4, 2008 3:20 am

I never understood that one (vincents refusal to use Hermann). Walter closes out his rookie season with crazy numbers. Hes got Sean May and Adam Morrison out for the season. Hermann, a combo forward, only plays something like 11 minutes a game (in the ones hes allowed to play in).

Vincent then convinces a Hermann/Brezec for Mohammed trade. Dumars answers and spits up his coffee before accepting (not true, but if you were offered that trade...wouldn't you be shocked?). Then Hermann becomes a coaches favorite right away, even though hes only playing minimal minutes. Mike Curry steps in and trusts Fabio so much that McDyess get traded is no big deal (although there are rumors then McDyess will take a 2-month vacation before rejoining the Pistons).

Now the best one, there are early rumors that Rips extension and this trade are to convince a certain agent, Leon Rose, that a certain no. 23 as a Piston would be a match made in heaven. Roses' clients; Rip, Iverson, and Lebron James.

Meanwhile my no.2, the Bobcats can't box out to save their own lives. While some people blame this on Okafor (det/cha game thread).

Return to Charlotte Hornets