Coaching and Style of Play

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 558

Re: Coaching and Style of Play 

Post#21 » by Walt Cronkite » Tue Nov 4, 2008 3:21 pm

Vernon Maxwell- took 109 3s as a rookie under Brown, which lead the team. In his second year he had only taken 52 in 49 games before being traded to Houston. Maybe worth noting that during this second year Terry Cummings took 59 3s, far and away the most of his career.

Sean Elliott-only took 9 3s in 2000 minutes as a rookie under Brown, but took 64 as a sophomore and 82 total in the year he moved to the Clippers, not sure how many of those came under Brown. It's likely notable that during Elliott's sophomore season, Paul Pressey, in the 9th out of his 11 season career took a career best 57 3s.

**For the 91-92 season when Brown switched teams, Greg Sutton, a rookie, took 89 3s and in the final season of his career, Vinnie Johnson took a career high 60. Not to beat this point into the ground, but I can't tell how many of these came with Brown at the helm.

CLIPPERS- Brown came into a team that in his first partial season had Ron Harper taking 211 3s (30.3%), 92 from Doc Rivers, 60 from Danny Young and 51 from Gary Grant. By the next season Harper was down to 186 (at a lower 28% rate), Doc Rivers had been traded for Mark Jackson (who took 82 3s), newly acquired John Williams was allowed to hoist 53, and Gary Grant was down to 42. So... not much had changed (I mean, they only took 11 fewer 3s in his full season vs the partial one.) The difference in those NBA team ranks is that the league averaged increased from 626 in 91-92 to 734 a year later.

Reggie Miller-So in Reggie's first year under Brown, his 3pa fell from 419 to 292. This would support Coolio's claim, except the next 3 years under LB Miller took 470, 410 and 536 (470 was his career best at the time, 536 topped that and was never exceeded...he hit 42.6% of those 536 3s...WOW), so I'm pretty much going to stop with the best. I imagine a question will be asked that will make me look at all of this some more, but I feel pretty confident that Brown isn't anti-3-pointers.

Return to Charlotte Hornets