Welcome To The New RealGM - A Message From CEO Ryan Hoak

User avatar
livintoolive
Head Coach
Posts: 6,975
And1: 164
Joined: Aug 07, 2004

Re: Welcome To The New RealGM - A Message From CEO Ryan Hoak 

Post#21 » by livintoolive » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:53 pm

LittleOzzy wrote:
BigBuddha wrote:FIX THE FORUMs


Always nice when you put in two years of hard work and the first comment is a negative one about the forums.



KnicksGod wrote:
BigBuddha wrote:FIX THE FORUMs




Can you or anyone be more specific about what needs fixing?



Sorry guys, i've been on the forums for years and the users have expressed their desires with the forums on multiple occasions. I'm not going to list all of them but I will start with the most important one and the one that will make RealGM look more legitimate:

Fix the ads. Get rid of these ads and wherever you get them, and go with google adwords. Yes, you will make less revenue per click. Yes, you will get more users/viewers. Yes, your users/viewers will be much happier. I know i'm not the only user to express this opinion and I know it isn't the first time. Hell, even forum mods have said the same thing. I see no change there.

Honestly, if you spent 2 years fixing the ads, I would be happier than this entire site overhaul. And it doesn't take 2 years to fix the ads.
R-DAWG wrote:i'd rather have the pick to package with Amare's contract next offseason, but hey, I'm just an MBA student at NYU what do I know about business.
User avatar
xxdaprofessorxx
Senior
Posts: 636
And1: 13
Joined: Feb 08, 2009

Re: Welcome To The New RealGM - A Message From CEO Ryan Hoak 

Post#22 » by xxdaprofessorxx » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:02 pm

I like the old Realgm layout
Image
User avatar
YoungD23
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,844
And1: 974
Joined: Jun 15, 2008
Location: 6ix
 

Re: Welcome To The New RealGM - A Message From CEO Ryan Hoak 

Post#23 » by YoungD23 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:04 pm

Why is it that everytime i'm on the Raptors page, and I click Forums, I get directed to the Utah Jazz forum. Navigation has to be fixed, there are couple other navigation errors as well.
User avatar
WEFFPIM
RealGM
Posts: 38,522
And1: 466
Joined: Nov 14, 2005
Location: WEFFPIM. I'm the real WEFFPIM.
       

Re: Welcome To The New RealGM - A Message From CEO Ryan Hoak 

Post#24 » by WEFFPIM » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:33 pm

Seems like the MLB, NFL and NHL forums can be promoted more.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
User avatar
mffl_14
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,575
And1: 18
Joined: Apr 23, 2008
Location: DFW
       

Re: Welcome To The New RealGM - A Message From CEO Ryan Hoak 

Post#25 » by mffl_14 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:34 pm

I think some of the changes are cool, and I think it will take some getting use to like anything that's new. However, the biggest reason I love to come to RealGM is to come check out the forums. I used to love how I could click on my teams page or any other team's page and I could see the most recent forum topics on that teams page. It kinda of seems like I am having to hunt for them more and it's not as eye friendly, at least that''s just my opinion. I don't want to come off as ungrateful or a big complainer because I realize I don't post as much as many others do, but I think this will cause me to post even less because I am going to have to search more for the forums.

While I like the fact Realgm posts news and updates what really makes this site unique is the posts. You can be anywhere in the country and follow another team and what their fans are saying. Like I said before it's just my two cents but seeing the forum topics as you open that teams page would be something I would love to see come back. Also if there is a better way to see the forums please let me know.
Bucksfans1and2
Banned User
Posts: 16,041
And1: 189
Joined: Jun 28, 2008

Re: Welcome To The New RealGM - A Message From CEO Ryan Hoak 

Post#26 » by Bucksfans1and2 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:40 pm

WEFFPIM wrote:Seems like the MLB, NFL and NHL forums can be promoted more.


I agree, maybe encourage the Mods to lock the various (Inset NFL team here) threads on boards. Iknow the Magic board has a 100 page College Football thread. It'd be nice to get a second board that's active. The Packers board is really active, and the Bears board occasionally comes alive but all the others seem to be dead.
User avatar
SDM
RealGM
Posts: 19,534
And1: 938
Joined: Jan 08, 2004
 

Re: Welcome To The New RealGM - A Message From CEO Ryan Hoak 

Post#27 » by SDM » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:42 pm

Will the individual statistics and team pages be kept up to date? Are long retired players removed from the database?

That's my biggest problem with the site. I haven't checked after the redesign, but as of yesterday, the team pages were useless, difficult to navigate, and inaccurate.
User avatar
Mesa
Junior
Posts: 470
And1: 2
Joined: Jul 02, 2010
Location: Miami (Wynwood)

Re: Welcome To The New RealGM- A Message From CEO Ryan Hoak 

Post#28 » by Mesa » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:44 pm

fudgie wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:
BigBuddha wrote:FIX THE FORUMs




Can you or anyone be more specific about what needs fixing?

Search function.

With all due respect, not having a search function in a forum is FAIL.

I've been a member of all types of forums since 1998 and the first thing all n00bs are told to do is first use the "search" function before asking or starting a new thread.

It gets, so redundant and forum gets cluttered when members keep starting threads that where discussed just a few weeks ago. However, you can't blame them because there is no search function to tell them otherwise.

Please, don't reply and say to use the google search "user input site:http://forums.realgm.com" because that is the weakest search. It does NOT give you the full search function as what a forum search can do.

For example a forum search allows Search in "Thread Titles Only" or "First Post Only" "Show Results as Threads or Posts" also it would allow you to choose what part of the Forum to search in whether it be a search in a particular board only or the General board etc.

The point is RGM loves to have educated sports posters but yet it dwarfs any potential growth by not having and not promoting users to search first before discussing topics or starting new topics.

In the last 12 years of all the forums I've ever been on RGM is the first forum I have ever seen not to have a search function.

Then it's like a slap in the face when the Admins discuss making RGM a better site for two years and totally ignore and not even mention the fact that RGM does not have a search function.

@admins, members have asked for this feature that is natural to have in all forums. Actually, when ever I travel to a new forum the first thing I look for is the search button.

Please, explain this to me like i'm 10 years old (other than the weak google search rebuttal) why RGM does not and will not give it's members a search option.

Maybe create a poll and let the member vote on it or something.

In conclusion, we are grateful for all the hard work, but if your not going to listen to your own members about a feature that should be a no-brainer, how can you expect us to get excited about any new upgrades when the obvious ones are ignored, ie. no search :banghead: :nonono: :wavefinger: :noway: :crazy: :pray: and no PM.

Edit: Please, google other for any forums you can find see how many don't have a search feature then list them here as a reply. Maybe, I'm the one that needs to learn here. Maybe, I don't know other forums like I thought I did for over a decade.
"It's better to be feared than loved"- Machiavelli
User avatar
thanumba2clippersfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 13,689
And1: 700
Joined: Aug 11, 2005
Location: State College, PA
Contact:
     

Re: Welcome To The New RealGM - A Message From CEO Ryan Hoak 

Post#29 » by thanumba2clippersfan » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:55 pm

I'll have to get used to the new front page, I was totally surprised that a change was happening. Hopefully it will be better.
I've been an LA Clipper fan since 1998 and that will never change. I hate our new logo and jerseys!
User avatar
Lottery Bound
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,539
And1: 0
Joined: Jun 06, 2008

Re: Welcome To The New RealGM - A Message From CEO Ryan Hoak 

Post#30 » by Lottery Bound » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:56 pm

^^^ Yup... The Realgm Search function is powered by FAIL.
cooch2584
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,403
And1: 32
Joined: Jan 28, 2010
Location: far from the Uk crowd lol

Re: Welcome To The New RealGM - A Message From CEO Ryan Hoak 

Post#31 » by cooch2584 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:09 pm

mffl_14 wrote:I think some of the changes are cool, and I think it will take some getting use to like anything that's new. However, the biggest reason I love to come to RealGM is to come check out the forums. I used to love how I could click on my teams page or any other team's page and I could see the most recent forum topics on that teams page. It kinda of seems like I am having to hunt for them more and it's not as eye friendly, at least that''s just my opinion. I don't want to come off as ungrateful or a big complainer because I realize I don't post as much as many others do, but I think this will cause me to post even less because I am going to have to search more for the forums.

While I like the fact Realgm posts news and updates what really makes this site unique is the posts. You can be anywhere in the country and follow another team and what their fans are saying. Like I said before it's just my two cents but seeing the forum topics as you open that teams page would be something I would love to see come back. Also if there is a better way to see the forums please let me know.





I agree 100% now you need an extra step to get the Knicks forum,unless you can tell me a different way id be grateful
User avatar
CrazyKnicks
General Manager
Posts: 8,487
And1: 1,476
Joined: Aug 04, 2009

Re: Welcome To The New RealGM - A Message From CEO Ryan Hoak 

Post#32 » by CrazyKnicks » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:09 pm

Lottery Bound wrote:^^^ Yup... The Realgm Search function is powered by FAIL.

Search function would be good, and even nicer if you can view another poster's posts like you can view your own.
User avatar
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 51,717
And1: 10,687
Joined: Aug 02, 2005
     

Re: Welcome To The New RealGM- A Message From CEO Ryan Hoak 

Post#33 » by dockingsched » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:10 pm

been going through some of the changes, good stuff.


KnicksGod wrote:
BigBuddha wrote:FIX THE FORUMs




Can you or anyone be more specific about what needs fixing?


the wiretap headlines. whoever writes them sometimes completely exaggerates, takes one small line and makes the entire article about it, or just fabricates something out of nothing.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
chyau.00
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,919
And1: 453
Joined: Nov 05, 2007

Re: Welcome To The New RealGM - A Message From CEO Ryan Hoak 

Post#34 » by chyau.00 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:20 pm

the new realgm is so confusing.
Mr Dew
Sophomore
Posts: 169
And1: 0
Joined: Jun 17, 2010

Re: Welcome To The New RealGM - A Message From CEO Ryan Hoak 

Post#35 » by Mr Dew » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:23 pm

Please put a section displaying new/recent forum threads back on the Team pages. It's annoying having to click on the forums link to see if there are any new threads worth reading.
User avatar
dream34
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3,341
And1: 321
Joined: Jul 29, 2005
     

Re: Welcome To The New RealGM - A Message From CEO Ryan Hoak 

Post#36 » by dream34 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:26 pm

cooch2584 wrote:
mffl_14 wrote:I think some of the changes are cool, and I think it will take some getting use to like anything that's new. However, the biggest reason I love to come to RealGM is to come check out the forums. I used to love how I could click on my teams page or any other team's page and I could see the most recent forum topics on that teams page. It kinda of seems like I am having to hunt for them more and it's not as eye friendly, at least that''s just my opinion. I don't want to come off as ungrateful or a big complainer because I realize I don't post as much as many others do, but I think this will cause me to post even less because I am going to have to search more for the forums.

While I like the fact Realgm posts news and updates what really makes this site unique is the posts. You can be anywhere in the country and follow another team and what their fans are saying. Like I said before it's just my two cents but seeing the forum topics as you open that teams page would be something I would love to see come back. Also if there is a better way to see the forums please let me know.


I agree 100% now you need an extra step to get the Knicks forum,unless you can tell me a different way id be grateful


We do have an extra step now because the site has expanded from NBA to Basketball in general. NBA, NCAA, High School, International, etc is all covered on the homepage now.

You can still get to the Knicks forums in two clicks though. Open www.realgm.com, click on Forums in the top right, then scroll down and click on New York Knicks.

If you want to get to the Knicks team page, from realgm.com either click Teams and then select Knicks under NBA Teams, or click NBA, Teams, Knicks.
captaincrunk
Banned User
Posts: 7,030
And1: 1
Joined: Sep 26, 2010
Location: Evansville, Indiana

Re: Welcome To The New RealGM- A Message From CEO Ryan Hoak 

Post#37 » by captaincrunk » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:28 pm

BigBuddha wrote:FIX THE FORUMs

What is even wrong with them? I think they're great.
User avatar
magicman123
RealGM
Posts: 26,155
And1: 692
Joined: Jan 14, 2007
Location: "THO"
   

Re: Welcome To The New RealGM - A Message From CEO Ryan Hoak 

Post#38 » by magicman123 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:36 pm

edit: not as bad as i first thought, i liked the old style better when surfing the team forums...i still have the magic.forum bookmarked and its still the old page style, hope it stays that way because its easier to see the topics
User avatar
Mesa
Junior
Posts: 470
And1: 2
Joined: Jul 02, 2010
Location: Miami (Wynwood)

Re: Welcome To The New RealGM - A Message From CEO Ryan Hoak 

Post#39 » by Mesa » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:39 pm

Crazyknicks wrote:
Lottery Bound wrote:^^^ Yup... The Realgm Search function is powered by FAIL.

Search function would be good, and even nicer if you can view another poster's posts like you can view your own.


@Admins, please hear the pleas of your own members.

1. :pray: Search function (A must in a forum)

2. View other users posts history (similar to search, but nevertheless also a must in a forum)

3. PM (a traditional feature in a forum, but we live without it, if we could only get #1 and/or #2)
"It's better to be feared than loved"- Machiavelli
BeNicePlz
Analyst
Posts: 3,742
And1: 12
Joined: Jan 23, 2007
Location: -Toronto-
   

Re: Welcome To The New RealGM- A Message From CEO Ryan Hoak 

Post#40 » by BeNicePlz » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:40 pm

Mesa wrote:
I've been a member of all types of forums since 1998 and the first thing all n00bs are told to do is first use the "search" function before asking or starting a new thread.

It gets, so redundant and forum gets cluttered when members keep starting threads that where discussed just a few weeks ago. However, you can't blame them because there is no search function to tell them otherwise.

Please, don't reply and say to use the google search "user input site:http://forums.realgm.com" because that is the weakest search. It does NOT give you the full search function as what a forum search can do.

For example a forum search allows Search in "Thread Titles Only" or "First Post Only" "Show Results as Threads or Posts" also it would allow you to choose what part of the Forum to search in whether it be a search in a particular board only or the General board etc.

The point is RGM loves to have educated sports posters but yet it dwarfs any potential growth by not having and not promoting users to search first before discussing topics or starting new topics.

In the last 12 years of all the forums I've ever been on RGM is the first forum I have ever seen not to have a search function.

Then it's like a slap in the face when the Admins discuss making RGM a better site for two years and totally ignore and not even mention the fact that RGM does not have a search function.

@admins, members have asked for this feature that is natural to have in all forums. Actually, when ever I travel to a new forum the first thing I look for is the search button.

Please, explain this to me like i'm 10 years old (other than the weak google search rebuttal) why RGM does not and will not give it's members a search option.

Maybe create a poll and let the member vote on it or something.

In conclusion, we are grateful for all the hard work, but if your not going to listen to your own members about a feature that should be a no-brainer, how can you expect us to get excited about any new upgrades when the obvious ones are ignored, ie. no search :banghead: :nonono: :wavefinger: :noway: :crazy: :pray: and no PM.

Edit: Please, google other for any forums you can find see how many don't have a search feature then list them here as a reply. Maybe, I'm the one that needs to learn here. Maybe, I don't know other forums like I thought I did for over a decade.


THIS. A forum where you can't even do the basics of SEARCH & PM is just sad. I can't believe this is even still an issue.

Return to Global Announcements