Welcome To The New Forum

Clincher
General Manager
And1: 697

Re: Welcome To The New Forum 

Post#601 » by Clincher » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:41 am

Appreciate the hard work it must have been to do this but one of the major things I like from Realgm is the wiretap and it gets very annoying when trying to read it and then seeing a new slide pop up 4 seconds later. It takes me a good 1-2 mins to fully get to see all the headlines. Before, I can be able to view it with ease....Now its a hassle.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,670

Post#602 » by dockingsched » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:43 am

thanks for returning the quick reply
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Basileus777
General Manager
And1: 2,031

Post#603 » by Basileus777 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:45 am

Nice, the quick reply is back. I guess that was why the forum stopped working for a few minutes.
dflash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 157

Post#604 » by dflash3 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:57 am

evilRyu wrote:
magicfan4life05 wrote:is it just me or has the traffic for the site just not been the same?

I noticed it too... I'm guessing people are a bit more reluctant to post due to the new layout. Definitely a huge reason is due to the quick reply, but we'll be getting that back soon...

Don't leave people! Keep the RealGM community strong & alive!

I haven't been checking on Realgm as much since the update, since the layouts strains my eyes too much. I've actually been looking at another basketball forum, which is a lot easier to navigate. However, the posters and discussions aren't as good as Realgm, so I'm just waiting for some more updates to be made. After that I'll be able to browse with ease again :D

And Quick Reply is finally back!
C-West
Bench Warmer
And1: 491

Post#605 » by C-West » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:32 am

Good God this thing sucks.

I have not read the previous 40 pages really carefully, but Oh My God, What Have You Done?

I hope you didn't spend a lot of money on this upgrade - this is difficult, slow and painful to look at (what's with the colors?). And I hope whoever decided to do it during the finals and right before the draft gets fired.

Notice the Celtics board game thread with only 22 pages for Game 6? We normally get that on a Tuesday in November. PEOPLE HATE THIS.

Get your money back.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,060

Post#606 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:52 am

The boards working faster than ever for me, and the quick reply is back. The mod tools work better than before. I will agree, it's taken some getting used to, and there are still some things that could get worked on, such as forum colors, minor spacing issues, etc, but overall, I'm pretty happy with the updates. I always liked the forum before, but it's just as good now. I'm looking forward to seeing all the bugs worked out and hopefully, I'll be smitten with the upgrades then!
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 401

Post#607 » by Grang33r » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:58 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:The boards working faster than ever for me, and the quick reply is back. The mod tools work better than before. I will agree, it's taken some getting used to, and there are still some things that could get worked on, such as forum colors, minor spacing issues, etc, but overall, I'm pretty happy with the updates. I always liked the forum before, but it's just as good now. I'm looking forward to seeing all the bugs worked out and hopefully, I'll be smitten with the upgrades then!

I couldn't agree more. The two major issues i had with the new boards was no quick reply and the quotes where not a different color so we couldn't tell what was actually quoted, but both of these things have been fixed. I'm thankful realgm has a crew so dedicated to this web site to make it as fun as possible for all of us because like that Heat fan said, no web site on the cyberspace can even compete with the talk that goes on here at realgm.

The new forums are actually working faster for me as well.

One other problem i see is the feature of posting something but if someone posts something before you, you'll get a message saying somebody just posted..... i think it's a cool thing to have but on game day threads or on a thread on draft night it might get annoying people tons of people will be posting at the same minute.

Overall, I love the new boards.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,670

Post#608 » by dockingsched » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:07 am

player comparisons is back to its original place between general nba and trades and transactions. excellent.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,524

Post#609 » by SOUL » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:09 am

woop quick reply back.

I guarantee that most people just don't like it because of the colors.. deal with it until it changes, really not that big of a deal.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,235

Post#610 » by amcoolio » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:13 am

Great change on the colors. The blue was too much. The gray is perfect.

The only things left are:

Clearer thread icons (i.e. thumbtack for stickied thread, a difference between read and unread threads and whether or not we posted in them)

Lighter text beneath threads on board page (or just get rid of time posted and keep author so it looks like this:

Last time we'll see this same Lakers team?
Lakersfan23

)

Maybe increase the width of the actual page a bit, from 600 pixels centered to 800 pixels centered
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
step
Lead Assistant
And1: 463

Post#611 » by step » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:36 am

Would you be able to add a few standard functions to the right for quick replying: quote, url, image?

Everything is progressing along nicely, well done to all involved.
h00pst1r
Starter
And1: 1

Post#612 » by h00pst1r » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:00 am

I have to say, the new wiretap thing with the 3 other slides is horrible. It doesn't even stay up long enough to read all the headlines and I find myself switching between the other useless slides trying to get back to the wiretap stories...I hope this gets changed and you just put those other slides/adverts somewhere else...please?
yk24 wrote:Moon bit on CBs pump fake.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,524

Post#613 » by SOUL » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:22 am

h00pst1r wrote:I have to say, the new wiretap thing with the 3 other slides is horrible. It doesn't even stay up long enough to read all the headlines and I find myself switching between the other useless slides trying to get back to the wiretap stories...I hope this gets changed and you just put those other slides/adverts somewhere else...please?

Yeah that's the only annoying thing. You can barely read it without it changing, you have to hit the || button thingy.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,798

Post#614 » by floppymoose » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:25 am

Clincher wrote:Appreciate the hard work it must have been to do this but one of the major things I like from Realgm is the wiretap and it gets very annoying when trying to read it and then seeing a new slide pop up 4 seconds later. It takes me a good 1-2 mins to fully get to see all the headlines. Before, I can be able to view it with ease....Now its a hassle.

It's amazing how many web designers fall for the eye candy of moving parts on their web page. It's almost always a terrible idea. It took Yahoo years to wise up and get rid of the similar scroller they had on their main news page.
GQStylin
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,631

Post#615 » by GQStylin » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:30 am

Having tried to get use to the new layout for a few days, I think the biggest problem I have is just how large the topic titles are in the forum. The whole layout seems like it was made for seniors with bad eyesight compared to the compact efficiency of the old layout.

Before when the thread titles were smaller and there wasn't the grey bar at right, I could see roughly 3/4 of the topics without having to scroll and then go down just abit to see the rest. Now you have to scroll a ton to see all the topics on the first page. Also the larger titles actually make it harder to find what I'm looking for as it takes longer to scan the page and the bulky layout in general is abit more fatiguing on the eyes.

A couple of other things. Is it possible to get rid of the grey bar at the right as it takes up so much space. I know its ad space, but since the ad is only at the top usually, why not get rid of the bar down the rest of the way and free it up for posts to be wider? Also with the colors, maybe have abit more contrast between each post? IE darken one color slightly more.

All in all, I find getting around the forums and finding what I want much less user friendly than before when it was nice and compact and efficient. :(

Edit: I just hit the submit button to post and it took me back to the beginning of this thread without my post being up and I had to backpeddle and hit submit again and it went through the second time. Weird.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,798

Post#616 » by floppymoose » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:34 am

I've redone my style updates to force quick reply to always be visible:

http://userstyles.org/styles/8033
Kurtz
RealGM
And1: 15,710

Post#617 » by Kurtz » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:06 am

I thought the old layout was a great trademark, and was very well done.

The new one is brutal on the eyes. Where as before, I'd come to the website a couple of times a day, now Im having trouble logging in even once...

Perhaps I'll get used to it at some point, but it's been a week, and it looks just as bad to me as it had on day 1.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#618 » by 5DOM » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:48 am

yes. this one looks pretty generic. although the quality seems to be better
Mr. Sun
General Manager
And1: 0

Post#619 » by Mr. Sun » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:51 pm

Allow me to suggest one more time:

Allow for user preference to select the old theme over the current one. I've seen phpBB boards allow for selecting different themes. No need to force one theme on everyone.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#620 » by Sleepy51 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:10 pm

Things seem to be progressing nicely with the upgrade. At this point, I have very little to complain about. The site IS running noticabbly faster for me, and I might be the only one who actually like the slideshow thingy.

However, the problem that CPH indicated about the viewed posts being stored on the client side is driving me positively bonkers. Everything else I have been fine with (and I actually like the new color scheme) but not knowing which threads have new posts since I last visited at work vs. at home has really slowed down my posting and reading. It just takes a ton of wasted time to jump in and out of threads I've already read just to catch up on the two or three actual new posts. That is the only thing in the upgrade that is really affecting my experience.

Hoopefully it will be fixed as expeditiously as all the other issues.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?

Return to Global Announcements