Clingan and Wemby

Moderators: cupcakesnake, infinite11285, Dirk, Harry Garris, ken6199, zimpy27, bwgood77, bisme37, KingDavid, Domejandro

Red Beast
Freshman
And1: 40

Clingan and Wemby 

Post#1 » by Red Beast » Mon May 20, 2024 4:29 am

With the success of the Wolves this year, I think it shows how effective size can be in the NBA if you have a big that is versatile enough to space the floor. This year's draft does not have any sure-fire perimeter threats, but Clingan is rated by many as a massive difference maker as a defender with rare skills in that area.

If you are Pop, and you know the value of twin towers, why would you not draft Clingan, and then select a guard in next year's deeper draft. Surely, Clingan and Wemby would be a highly formidable frontline from a defensive point of view.
badpotato
Sophomore
And1: 502

Re: Clingan and Wemby 

Post#2 » by badpotato » Mon May 20, 2024 4:38 am

I think we will want Risacher/Castle/Sheppard with 4th depending on who's left.
Clingan is unlikely to be available at 8th.
When the individual feels, the community reels.
Red Beast
Freshman
And1: 40

Post#3 » by Red Beast » Mon May 20, 2024 4:52 am

Do you think they would be effective playing together?
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 15,231

Post#4 » by Chuck Everett » Mon May 20, 2024 4:57 am

They probably won't do it (although I'm not 100% ruling it out), but 48 minutes of elite rim protection/length has value. That's the formula to having a top 3 defense in the league. I am also not sure Houston doesn't take Clingan, since Steven Adams is on an expiring contract. He would be a good backup to Sengun and could also play with Jabari/Eason/Brooks/Amen and FVV for an elite defensive unit.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 43,169

Post#5 » by PhilBlackson » Mon May 20, 2024 4:57 am

Who’s to say HOU doesn’t take him first when they badly need a rim protector?!
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Wemb is Top 10 & he’s not 10
Names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
badpotato
Sophomore

Post#6 » by badpotato » Mon May 20, 2024 5:00 am

Red Beast wrote:Do you think they would be effective playing together?

I'm not thrilled about moving Wemby away from Center spot - this is how we started this season and this is how "Chet is da real ROTY" narrative got off the ground.
Since Wemby was moved into deeper position he became much more effective and while there is some merit in Twin towers idea i'm not that excited about going back to the drawing board to figure out how to make this work.

Going for one of the available wings/guards is just much more straightforward road to improvement and we need a lot of help in these areas - we're covered in the bigman department.
I'd be more inclined to go for it if Clingan was the clear-cut BPA above other candidates but i don't think that's the case here.
sfernald
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,362

Post#7 » by sfernald » Mon May 20, 2024 5:26 am

badpotato wrote:
Red Beast wrote:Do you think they would be effective playing together?

I'm not thrilled about moving Wemby away from Center spot - this is how we started this season and this is how "Chet is da real ROTY" narrative got off the ground.
Since Wemby was moved into deeper position he became much more effective and while there is some merit in Twin towers idea i'm not that excited about going back to the drawing board to figure out how to make this work.

Going for one of the available wings/guards is just much more straightforward road to improvement and we need a lot of help in these areas - we're covered in the bigman department.
I'd be more inclined to go for it if Clingan was the clear-cut BPA above other candidates but i don't think that's the case here.

I feel like Clingan with Wemby wouldn’t be nearly as bad as Collins with Wemby. Somehow I think their talent would work it out.
badpotato
Sophomore

Post#8 » by badpotato » Mon May 20, 2024 5:33 am

sfernald wrote:I feel like Clingan with Wemby wouldn’t be nearly as bad as Collins with Wemby. Somehow I think their talent would work it out.

Easily, but I'd rather see Wemby paired with strong and mobile 4 (Grodon,Siakam back when he cared about D) type or 4 with some range (like Collins, but one that does not suck like Markannen or even Jalen Johnson). It keeps things simple and more importantly keeps Wemby at 5.

That said, If Saar, Risacher and Castle are off the board by the time we're picking I could see Spurs picking Clingan over anyone else at 4th.

Return to The General Board