Michael Porter Jr. against the Timberwolves - 10.7pts (37%fg 32%3pt) - 5.7rbs - 1ast

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,810

Re: Michael Porter Jr. against the Timberwolves - 10.7pts (37%fg 32%3pt) - 5.7rbs - 1ast 

Post#41 » by winforlose » Mon May 20, 2024 5:29 am

I cannot remember which TNT announcer said it, but “basketball is a rhythm game.” Jaden, Ant, and everyone else guarding him did a good job of disrupting his rhythm. When you don’t let someone get comfortable, then they don’t play to their game as well. I also think MPJ had to hold the ball a little longer than he wanted and got run off the line a few times and that got in his head. Good defense for 7 games will mess with a good offensive player. I think he will bounce back next year.
F Saunders
Sophomore
And1: 286

Re: Michael Porter Jr. against the Timberwolves - 10.7pts (37%fg 32%3pt) - 5.7rbs - 1ast 

Post#42 » by F Saunders » Mon May 20, 2024 5:34 am

I’d be interested to hear from Nuggets fans on this, since they’ve watched MPJ all year, but it just seemed like the Wolves had him scouted perfectly and figured out a tell (similar to a baseball pitcher tipping his pitches).

I could be wrong, but in addition to the top tier defenders, it just seemed like every player knew what he was going to do, what spot he was trying to get to, and when he was going to release the shot. Every shot contested, never going for fakes, always anticipating the step back/sidestep, etc.
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,397

Post#43 » by lambchop » Mon May 20, 2024 5:46 am

GSP wrote:
Mk0 wrote:He will probably get a pass with all the family stuff.

He shouldnt considering what he did to La

23,8 on 55,49,77...... .698ts.....he couldnt miss

Wolves defense just locked his ass up

This. The Nuggets role players and Murray struggled once they couldn't clown smaller or slower players, like the Reaves and DLos of the world.

MPJ and AG simply shot/finished over the LA defense, while that was difficult against the Wolves. Still a 7 game series in which they had a 20 point lead in a closeout game.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,448

Post#44 » by DonaldSanders » Mon May 20, 2024 5:58 am

Mamba Mentality wrote:Me the last two seasons: do not cheat off of MPJ, play him tight and force him to put the ball on the floor because he clearly has a bad case of tunnel vision

But in classic Laker fashion we decided to leave him open over, and over, and over again. Still frustrated to this day, thank god that idiot Ham is gone.

Darvin Ham wasn't why he was open.
pistonsbball
Veteran
And1: 1,634

Post#45 » by pistonsbball » Mon May 20, 2024 6:01 am

winforlose wrote:I cannot remember which TNT announcer said it, but “basketball is a rhythm game.” Jaden, Ant, and everyone else guarding him did a good job of disrupting his rhythm. When you don’t let someone get comfortable, then they don’t play to their game as well. I also think MPJ had to hold the ball a little longer than he wanted and got run off the line a few times and that got in his head. Good defense for 7 games will mess with a good offensive player. I think he will bounce back next year.

Probably Jamal Crawford, I thought he did a good job giving analysis from a hoopers perspective.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 28,306

Post#46 » by Domejandro » Mon May 20, 2024 6:06 am

SweetTouch wrote:Imagine you put some length to defend a guy who’s is tall

Vanderbilt would of toyed with him

As much as I love Jarred Vanderbilt, he gets a bit caught up in cross-match action off-ball. He is a bit more dynamic as an on-ball defensive stopper. Vanderbilt isn't a bad screen navigator, but he isn't as elite as Nickeil Alexander-Walker and Jaden McDaniels, at that specific skillset.

To be clear though, anything would have been better than what the Lakers tried against him. Zero off-ball perimeter defenders.
Mk0
RealGM
And1: 17,095

Post#47 » by Mk0 » Mon May 20, 2024 6:08 am

pistonsbball wrote:
winforlose wrote:I cannot remember which TNT announcer said it, but “basketball is a rhythm game.” Jaden, Ant, and everyone else guarding him did a good job of disrupting his rhythm. When you don’t let someone get comfortable, then they don’t play to their game as well. I also think MPJ had to hold the ball a little longer than he wanted and got run off the line a few times and that got in his head. Good defense for 7 games will mess with a good offensive player. I think he will bounce back next year.

Probably Jamal Crawford, I thought he did a good job giving analysis from a hoopers perspective.

Had to be Crawford.
When Murray hit the buzzer beater against the Lakers he pointed out that Murray was finding his rhythm in the shot or two before it happened. Crawford knows when a dude is getting going. That was his whole career.
NBA officiating bought to you by FanDuel
Gatorade Sax
Senior
And1: 846

Post#48 » by Gatorade Sax » Mon May 20, 2024 6:09 am

He was terrible when it mattered most, but his entire family did decide to capitulate at the worst possible time. Tough spot to be in.
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,540

Post#49 » by brutalitops » Mon May 20, 2024 6:44 am

McDaniels and Edwards being able to rotate from a Jokic double team to cause MPJ to actually think was huge. A lot of the times there was either a take the shot immediately or swing to the corner to KCP multiple times but with McDaniels NAW and Edwards being quick and disciplined enough to run back, hand up caused him to second guess killed any chance to stretch the wolves defense and stress it.

I think there is a huge conversation about while he's not anywhere near the shooter, is Braun a better fit because he can put the ball down and is a lot quicker at decision making

Return to The General Board