Better player Jaylen Brown or Reggie Miller

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

?

Brown
20%
Miller
80%

Total votes: 203

One_and_Done
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,147

Re: Better player Jaylen Brown or Reggie Miller 

Post#61 » by One_and_Done » Thu May 23, 2024 1:43 am

cdubbz wrote:1 v 1 Brown would win.

If you inserted Prime Reggie or Prime Jaylen onto any team in the nBA - Reggie makes all teams better.

Other teams would love Reggie being out there on D.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 15,676

Post#62 » by GSP » Thu May 23, 2024 1:47 am

jowglenn wrote:Reggie was the main guy on a team that made the playoffs virtually every year for over a decade, made multiple conference finals and one NBA finals. He has the second highest true shooting percentage of any guard in NBA history, trailing only Steph Curry. 15th all time in the NBA in Win Shares. 13th all time in NBA games played. 23rd all time in the NBA in scoring. 6th all time in NBA in Offensive Rating.

For roughly a decade, besides Michael Jordan, there was nobody opposing teams feared on a final possession, game on the line, more than Reggie Miller.

Pacers were also the 2nd strongest playoff offenses of the 90s behind the Bulls and the whole offense was carried by Reggies shooting and movement

I love Jaylen and hes a more complete player but he doesnt have that one game breaking skill like Reggie did who is in a whole other level of player. Jayson against Reggie is a closer comp Tbh
ryan in Maine
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,167

Post#63 » by ryan in Maine » Thu May 23, 2024 2:04 am

I voted JB bc I want posters.
And1: 3,125

Post#64 » by cdubbz » Thu May 23, 2024 2:14 am

One_and_Done wrote:

If you inserted Prime Reggie or Prime Jaylen onto any team in the nBA - Reggie makes all teams better.

Sure, but on the other end they have to chase Reggie around all game. Reggie also doesn't need the ball in his hands, can fit into any team better than Brown, and doesn't need to be the star.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
IMF
Junior
And1: 808

Post#65 » by IMF » Thu May 23, 2024 2:20 am

fuller4379 wrote:Brown is a much better defender and a better all-around player. He has also accomplished much more by the age of 27 then Miller did.

At the age of 27:
All Stars Brown 3, Miller 1.
Second Team NBA Brown 1, Miller 0.
Post Season Brown has been to the ECF finals twice. Finals once. Miller - bounced out of the playoffs all four seasons.

Arbitrary comparison considering players stayed in college longer back then, Reggie played 4 years at UCLA and entered the league older. Brown at the same age had three extra seasons of NBA experience.
djsunyc wrote:tj mcconnell....the michael jordan of jj barea's.
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach

Post#66 » by One_and_Done » Thu May 23, 2024 2:27 am

cdubbz wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:

Sure, but on the other end they have to chase Reggie around all game. Reggie also doesn't need the ball in his hands, can fit into any team better than Brown, and doesn't need to be the star.

There are a tonne of guys who can hit 3s today, but can't stay on the court in the playoffs because they're defensive liabilities. Aside from that issue, Reggie has no counter to close coverage because he can't blow by guys. He would still be a fringe all-star today, but Brown is better every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach

Post#67 » by One_and_Done » Thu May 23, 2024 2:29 am

GSP wrote:
jowglenn wrote:Reggie was the main guy on a team that made the playoffs virtually every year for over a decade, made multiple conference finals and one NBA finals. He has the second highest true shooting percentage of any guard in NBA history, trailing only Steph Curry. 15th all time in the NBA in Win Shares. 13th all time in NBA games played. 23rd all time in the NBA in scoring. 6th all time in NBA in Offensive Rating.

For roughly a decade, besides Michael Jordan, there was nobody opposing teams feared on a final possession, game on the line, more than Reggie Miller.

Pacers were also the 2nd strongest playoff offenses of the 90s behind the Bulls and the whole offense was carried by Reggies shooting and movement

I love Jaylen and hes a more complete player but he doesnt have that one game breaking skill like Reggie did who is in a whole other level of player. Jayson against Reggie is a closer comp Tbh

Pacers were a 42 win team on average for the first 10 years of his career. They only got better when the Pacers got a huge talent infusion and he became one cog in an ensemble cast.
SweaterBae
Sixth Man
And1: 2,815

Post#68 » by SweaterBae » Thu May 23, 2024 2:31 am

I don't know the answer, but Reggie is one of the most insanely overrated players of all time.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,844

Post#69 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Thu May 23, 2024 3:02 am

Anyone who tries to argue Reggie would be worse in today's NBA just clearly doesn't even have a base level understanding of anything they are talking about on the subject.
Ugly Duckling
Analyst
And1: 1,607

Post#70 » by Ugly Duckling » Thu May 23, 2024 3:41 am

It's easier to shoot the 3 for Jaylen because defenders are more wary of sending him to line to shoot 3. If Reggie played today with that rule, boyy
mudsak wrote:Watching Kawhi plow through the playoffs like the most stoic gangster to walk the earth has been one of the most epic things I've watched in a while.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 9,271

Post#71 » by brackdan70 » Thu May 23, 2024 3:51 am

Voted Brown to show support but at this point Reggie was better than Brown.
He was amazing. Seemed like he never missed.
Sign here
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 9,271

Post#72 » by brackdan70 » Thu May 23, 2024 3:54 am

If we ask the question in 5 years might have a different answer.
Sign here
SweaterBae
Sixth Man

Post#73 » by SweaterBae » Thu May 23, 2024 3:55 am

brackdan70 wrote:Voted Brown to show support but at this point Reggie was better than Brown.
He was amazing. Seemed like he never missed.

And did absolutely nothing else.
JimmyFromNz
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,033

Post#74 » by JimmyFromNz » Thu May 23, 2024 4:09 am

SweaterBae wrote:I don't know the answer, but Reggie is one of the most insanely overrated players of all time.

I don't disagree that Reggie is overvalued by many.

The answer for me is still Reggie.
SweaterBae
Sixth Man

Post#75 » by SweaterBae » Thu May 23, 2024 4:16 am

JimmyFromNz wrote:
SweaterBae wrote:I don't know the answer, but Reggie is one of the most insanely overrated players of all time.

I don't disagree that Reggie is overvalued by many.

The answer for me is still Reggie.

Yeah prolly. My recency bias was that I had to listen to him speak tonight.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,567

Post#76 » by Roscoe Sheed » Thu May 23, 2024 4:32 am

Special_Puppy wrote:Who the hell is voting for Brown?

I think Brown is better in every facet of the game except 3 point shooting and it's not like he's a terrible shooter either
docholliday99
Sixth Man
And1: 990

Post#77 » by docholliday99 » Thu May 23, 2024 4:56 am

Above The Rim wrote:I think a good argument could be made for Jaylen Brown as he was a 2nd team all nba player last year and will likely make at least 3rd team again this year. That tells you where he stands in this league. I’d maybe choose Reggie in a draft because of his skillset. My thinking is it’d be more likely to find another JB than another Reggie miller.

Sure, Jaylen does have a 2nd All-NBA team but I don't think that's a strong argument as Reggie has 3× All-NBA Third Teams. I'm not sure it says a lot but take a look at who else was on those ALL-NBA Teams (I was a bit nostalgic looking back so it's more of an indulgent for me to write it). I think it's also easier to get an ALL-NBA selection, now that they're positionless in a guard driven league (not that Jaylen didn't deserve one).
1st Malone, Pippen, D.Robinson, Stockton, Penny
2nd Barkley, Kemp, Shaq, Payton, Richmond,
3rd Rodman, Schrempf, Olajuwon, Drexler, Miller
1st Malone, Pippen, D.Robinson, Jordan, Penny
2nd Kemp, Hill, Olajuwon, Payton, Stockton
3rd Barkley, J.Howard, Richmond, Miller
1st Duncan, Malone, Shaq, Jordan, Payton
2nd Baker, Hill, D.Robinson, Hardaway, Strickland
3rd Pippen, Rice, Mutombo, Richmond, Miller

I think this narrative that Reggie would just be running around creating chaos and shooting 3's isn't quite accurate, that's more his later years (though it was always part of his game). In his younger days, he was a pretty good attacker at the rim and had a great mid range game off the screen. He also had a knack for drawing contact (something that I disliked but you had to respect), leading to the Reggie Miller Rule (though that didn't annoy me as much as watching CP3 and Wade pump fake their defender into the air and then jumping into them). In the end, his offensive contributions, backed by advanced metrics, elevate him into the greats of the game and if not for the Bulls and the Knicks, would have probably had a few rings; those were some amazing rivalries. It would be really interesting to see Miller in todays game where a player can't really contest a shooter with hand checking and bodying him up and jumping to the side, I could see RM averaging 25-28 ppg.
SweaterBae
Sixth Man

Post#78 » by SweaterBae » Thu May 23, 2024 4:59 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
Special_Puppy wrote:Who the hell is voting for Brown?

I think Brown is better in every facet of the game except 3 point shooting and it's not like he's a terrible shooter either

Reggie's high water marks for assists and rebounds was 4, and most years it was 3. He was a physically weak player who was highly efficient on low volume offensively and did not do a meaningful thing otherwise. 18/3/3 is top 75 hall of fame? Good grief. He had big games on big stages, yet never won anything, and is a TV personality. 18/3/3.
dk1115
Sixth Man
And1: 960

Post#79 » by dk1115 » Thu May 23, 2024 5:14 am

When Miller was in his prime, I think Rik Smits was their second best player. I mean, Rik Smits as your second best player, you're probably getting the 6th-8th seed at best.
SpreeS
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,503

Post#80 » by SpreeS » Thu May 23, 2024 5:20 am

What a random comparison. Better discusion would be Brown and Sprewell.

Return to The General Board