Why did the Cavs waste young Lebron's career?

Moderators: cupcakesnake, infinite11285, Dirk, Harry Garris, ken6199, zimpy27, bwgood77, bisme37, KingDavid, Domejandro

JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,616

Re: Why did the Cavs waste young Lebron's career? 

Post#161 » by JonFromVA » Thu May 23, 2024 3:33 am

Buckeye-NBAFan wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Buckeye-NBAFan wrote:
Even if Boozer approached the Cavs first, the Cavs are adults. Saying the player asked me to cheat, I couldn't say no, is a loser excuse

You realize the Cavs were never investigated for collusion, right?

I mean, I guess they can thank Loozer for that given he proved demonstrably without a shadow of a doubt the two sides had not made an illegal agreement.

No need to search file cabinets and look for hidden documents like what happened with Joe Smith....

Why would the Cavs be investigated? Boozer was a free agent, and the Cavs didn't offer the most money, so he left. Nothing wrong with that.

Don't ask me, you're the one who said they cheated.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#162 » by JonFromVA » Thu May 23, 2024 3:38 am

Little side point on the Loozer debacle was that he was still a restricted free agent, and if the Cavs wanted him bad enough they could have tried to salary dump players to afford to match.

But why give up players and picks to keep a lying dishonourable scumbag?

Instead they traded Tony Battie for Drew Gooden and Andy Varejao.
Buckeye-NBAFan
General Manager
And1: 4,604

Post#163 » by Buckeye-NBAFan » Thu May 23, 2024 4:00 am

JonFromVA wrote:
Buckeye-NBAFan wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
You realize the Cavs were never investigated for collusion, right?

I mean, I guess they can thank Loozer for that given he proved demonstrably without a shadow of a doubt the two sides had not made an illegal agreement.

No need to search file cabinets and look for hidden documents like what happened with Joe Smith....

Why would the Cavs be investigated? Boozer was a free agent, and the Cavs didn't offer the most money, so he left. Nothing wrong with that.

We actually both said they cheated. You suggested there was a deal, and Boozer broke it.

But if you're saying Boozer didn't break a deal, because there was no deal, then I'm willing to go along with that.
CodeBreaker
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,049

Post#164 » by CodeBreaker » Thu May 23, 2024 5:11 am

Bron was already to good to get another high pick draft
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,904

Post#165 » by G35 » Thu May 23, 2024 6:06 am

tsherkin wrote:
G35 wrote:Let's be fair

Is that fairness? In that picture even before I got to the post-93 stuff, they did more for Jordan than the Cavs ever did for Lebron in his first run, so painting an even picture of their misses is irrelevant because the value of their wins dramatically outweighed the misses. No one manages perfection in management. The Cavs just didn't do most things well, that's the difference.

The Bulls got lucky because if the Sonics refuse to trade Pippen, then where are the Bulls at?

No where, for sure.

What if the Bulls did not take a chance with Phil Jackson after getting so close with Doug Collins?

Again, likely nowhere. But Pippen panned out and they did take a shot on Phil. So that's irrelevant. The point is that things worked for Chicago. And a fair number of them over time. Every organization swings and misses but the Bulls did a very good overall job keeping quality talent around Jordan.

It's not just draft picks, its not just coaching, its not just talent, it is a willingness to learn and see that things can be done differently, than the way you want them to done, in order to be successful. Lebron never learned that.....

This is an empty criticism, because Lebron very much did learn to adapt in his career. Visibly and obviously, so this is a pointless criticism to peddle.

One of the reasons Jordan is considered the GOAT is because he took a franchise that had never had any type of success and turned them into a modern dynasty. You are just handwaving the things that happened as, "Yeah they happened and it ended up successful so that is why Jordan had more support from the Bulls."

Outside of Pippen, what other high level talent did the Bulls have. Horace was not some elite talent, he made one All Star team and that was when Jordan first retired. Are Paxson/Armstrong/Hodges better than Delonte West/Eric Snow/Wally Z? Is Horace Grant/Cartwright/Perdue/Sellers a better frontcourt than Zydrunas/Gooden/Varejao/Shaq? There is not an appreciable difference.

Remember Pippen was not Pippen until that 1991 season. There were a lot of questions about if Pippen was a good enough #2 because of the migraine game and if he was tough enough to go up against the Pistons. Its revisionist history to act like Pippen was elite in 1988-1990.

You are incorrect in saying that Lebron adapted. No he did not, he gave up on Cleveland and left to go join up with two other All-Stars. If you think that is adapting compared to Jordan giving a rookie coach Phil Jackson a chance with a system no other team was running in the triangle, then you have a funny interpretation of adapting. Jordan gave up a lot of autonomy on the ball to allow Phil to take the ball out of Jordan's hands and put in Pippen's hands and let him be the primary playmaker and let the rest of the team have more autonomy in the offense.

You tell me when Lebron ever gave other players autonomy in the offense because I have yet to see it. If Lebron would have stuck it out in Cleveland and brought them a championship that would give more credence, similar to how Dirk stuck it out with Dallas, how Kobe stuck it out with the Lakers after Shaq left and rebuilt a team, how some of the modern players have stuck it out with their teams like Giannis sticking with Milwaukee (11 years), Jokic sticking it out with Denver (9 years). Creating continuity has benefits instead of leveraging the team into making dumb decisions to appease your demands.....
I'm so tired of the typical......
Myth
RealGM
And1: 9,027

Post#166 » by Myth » Thu May 23, 2024 6:10 am

jokeboy86 wrote:
DimesandKnicks wrote:Big z
Carlos Boozer
Lebron
Rick Davis
Dejuan Wagner
D. Miles off the bench

What could have been. Even had they been able to sign Ray Allen or Michael Redd in 06 instead of Larry Hughes. They just couldn’t land any free agents and didn’t pull the trigger on an Amare trade I think because they didn’t want to give up JJ Hickson

I still stand by if Redd signs with the Cavs that changes the trajectory of the NBA because peak Redd was a beast briefly and he would’ve been perfect with Lebron. Throughout Lebron’s career he’s never been paired with an elite shooter in their prime. I guess the closest you could say was Kyrie but I wouldnt call him elite. Lebron with say somebody like Booker or Klay might have more rings than he does now

Mike Miller and James Jones come to mind. Overall not as good of players as the ones you mentioned, but elite shooters. And he had them both at the same time. Heck, LeBron had Mike Miller, James Jones, and Ray Allen at the same time.
LaLover11
Analyst
And1: 1,726

Post#167 » by LaLover11 » Thu May 23, 2024 6:39 am

LeBron needed to join the Lakers in 2008 vs the Heat

Fisher, KB24, LeBron, Gasol, Bynum
Odom 6th man

They would 3 peated in that era
Bronny will become Murray 2.0
Mr Peanut
Veteran
And1: 2,830

Post#168 » by Mr Peanut » Thu May 23, 2024 7:40 am

HotelVitale wrote:
Mr Peanut wrote:From memory they didn't make the trade for Amare because of not wanting to include JJ Hickson, who was clearly never going to amount to even close to the same player. Quite simply they just failed at putting the right players around LeBron.
Eh, there's a good chance the the Amare for Hickson+assets rumor is false or distorted, and IIRC it was definitely on record that the Cavs did offer Hickson and other sweeteners for Amare at some point and were rejected. (Trade was revisited later and I don't remember what happened off hand). Second you might remember that Amare Stoudemire had very serious injuries that made him a time bomb, that this started in 2009 when he missed half the season (and all the PO) and that he was basically done as a player by 2012. This trade rumor was mid-season 2010, so the team would've rented him for one half season and then maxed him for 5 years--and had him as probably the worst contract in the league for the 4 seasons after the first.

Would it have been worth it to get like 1.2 years of a really good player next to Lebron, and possibly entice him to stay? Maybe, you could argue that. But the topic isn't 'should the idiot Cavs have held onto bust JJ Hickson over stud Amare?!?' but rather 'should the Cavs have traded all their remaining assets and spent the last of their $ on a 5 year mega-max for an extremely injury-riddled guy who ultimately contributed nothing for 4 of the 5 years?'

Admittedly I'm trying to recall from memory events that happened 15 years ago so may not have got all the finer details correct.

I think your assessment of Amare, while fair, is very much a hindsight argument. Of course if the Cavs had the knowledge of his future injuries at the time there's no way they would've considered trading for him. The season they were in discussions to acquire him he played a full 82 games averaging 23/9 and was All-NBA second team and 10th in MVP voting. And the Knicks went ahead and signed him to a 5 year 100 million contract that off-season so clearly the injury concerns weren't as significant at the time (or maybe this is just a reflection of the desperate Knicks FO in 2010). Always easy to judge those moves in retrospect.

The point is that the Cavs didn't push hard enough to put a second star alongside LeBron to allow him to get past teams like the Spurs/Celtics/Magic at the time, or show him they would pull out all the stops to help him get a championship. Ultimately they paid for it when he up and left.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#169 » by JonFromVA » Thu May 23, 2024 1:45 pm

Buckeye-NBAFan wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Buckeye-NBAFan wrote:

We actually both said they cheated. You suggested there was a deal, and Boozer broke it.

But if you're saying Boozer didn't break a deal, because there was no deal, then I'm willing to go along with that.

If Loozer returned to the Cavs for less money and Utah complained the NBA may have investigated, but they wouldn't find any signed agreements and they'd be found innocent of a CBA violation.

Yet, Loozer insisted "If you show me respect I will show you respect" not "If you make me happy I will take the most money".

The CBA doesn't say a player has to take the highest offer, it doesn't say he can't share his wishes and priorities, it just says he can't make an agreement outside the CBA.
BigGargamel
Analyst
And1: 7,379

Post#170 » by BigGargamel » Thu May 23, 2024 4:10 pm

The problem was they got too good too fast. There was absolutely zero talent on the roster when they drafted LeBron. They weren't able to be terrible for a few more years to add talent around him. Cleveland wasn't a free agent destination. Same with Luka on Dallas. You got to bottom out for a few years to get those talented teammates.
dantas
Sophomore
And1: 156

Post#171 » by dantas » Thu May 23, 2024 4:18 pm

Lebron should be recruiting the stars to play in Cleveland, not Wade.

Return to The General Board