How do we feel about the Rudy Gobert trade now?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

garrick
Head Coach
And1: 3,261

Re: How do we feel about the Rudy Gobert trade now? 

Post#141 » by garrick » Wed May 22, 2024 4:20 am

Too early to judge.

If Minnesota wins a championship it will have been worth it, if not and you gave up all those draft picks & Conley and Gobert go into decline then maybe a failure?

Gobert is only 31 so he's not that old yet but Conley is 36 and he could go through a precipitous decline much like CP3 did after the 2021 finals.
HanzGruber
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,099

Post#142 » by HanzGruber » Wed May 22, 2024 4:48 am

Baseline81 wrote:
HanzGruber wrote:obviously an overpay at the time, but its worth it if they win a title, idk if its worth it just for getting to the finals. Cause you still have nothing to show for it

For a fanbase that has never seen this franchise in the Finals, it's worth it, regardless of the outcome.

Idk man. The cubs and Red Sox went 100 years without winning. I doubt their fans would have said ruining your future just to make it to the championship and lose woulda been worth it. Winning is everything
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,469

Post#143 » by Baseline81 » Wed May 22, 2024 11:41 am

HanzGruber wrote:Idk man. The cubs and Red Sox went 100 years without winning. I doubt their fans would have said ruining your future just to make it to the championship and lose woulda been worth it. Winning is everything

Please explain.

Can we agree the players the team gave up isn't an issue?

- Malik Beasley
- Patrick Beverley
- Leandro Bolmaro
- Walker Kessler (No. 22 pick in 2022 Draft)
- Jarred Vanderbilt

After that, it's the picks:

- Keynonte George (2023 first-round pick)
- 2025 first-round pick
- 2026 pick swap
- 2027 first-round pick
- 2029 first-round pick

Honestly, it's really the 2027 and 2029 picks one has to keep an eye on. I'm not sure how two future picks qualifies as "ruining your future."
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,537

Post#144 » by Papi_swav » Wed May 22, 2024 2:44 pm

SomeBunghole wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:who was the other team willing to pay more than that?

There doesn't have to be another team willing to pay more than that. There is only one Rudy Gobert, and I'm pretty sure only one 3-time DPOY available in the league at the time. If the Jazz keep him, the Wolves would be fishing on the purifying waters of Lake Minnetonka right now.

The NBA is not an open market and does not operate as such. You can't ask "what's the going price for a Rudy Gobert" and then go accordingly. It doesn't work that way. The Wolves wanted Gobert and Ainge named the price. There's no "they could've had him for less." The price named in the end was most certainly a result of heavy negotiations.

yes there HAS to be another team because how are you going to get 4 picks or more if no other team is outbidding or willing to give that much ? thats how trades work, you can't just say no to wolves and think another team was willing to give more then 4 picks or players etc..

Ainge might of said his price but Wolves should of negotiated because 6 picks is way too much. It's not "Ainge says 6 picks so that's it, no, you make a counter offer and they come back with another and so on until you agree, which I think Wolves agreed to quick. So you're saying Jazz would of just hang on to Gobert? while they was clearly rebuilding and trying to get picks. What other team was giving up 6 picks for him? this is how it works.
KOA
Lead Assistant
And1: 851

Post#145 » by KOA » Wed May 22, 2024 10:23 pm

If they don’t get a chip this year, they won’t win a chip. They will be at the second apron next season without being able to bring back their same roster. This means they have virtually no shot to improve and will only go down hill from here
Wolveswin
General Manager
And1: 2,696

Post#146 » by Wolveswin » Thu May 23, 2024 12:03 am

KOA wrote:If they don’t get a chip this year, they won’t win a chip. They will be at the second apron next season without being able to bring back their same roster. This means they have virtually no shot to improve and will only go down hill from here

Wrong. But I get you don’t follow the Wolves.

Gobert has a 1+PO. He will opt-out and sign a more years, reduced per year deal. Cap will raise tremendously with new TV deal. Wolves have plenty of picks and more coming each year removed from 2029 protected owed Jazz.
KOA
Lead Assistant

Post#147 » by KOA » Thu May 23, 2024 1:15 am

Wolveswin wrote:
KOA wrote:If they don’t get a chip this year, they won’t win a chip. They will be at the second apron next season without being able to bring back their same roster. This means they have virtually no shot to improve and will only go down hill from here

Gobert has a 1+PO. He will opt-out and sign a more years, reduced per year deal. Cap will raise tremendously with new TV deal. Wolves have plenty of picks and more coming each year removed from 2029 protected owed Jazz.

Gobert can’t opt out this offseason. His player option is for 25/26, so yeah the Wolves WILL hit the second apron. The Wolves do not have plenty of picks. They traded them for Gobert. Literally everything you said is false….
Wolveswin
General Manager

Post#148 » by Wolveswin » Thu May 23, 2024 2:41 am

KOA wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:

Gobert can’t opt out this offseason. His player option is for 25/26, so yeah the Wolves WILL hit the second apron. The Wolves do not have plenty of picks. They traded them for Gobert. Literally everything you said is false….

Wow your reading comprehension sucks. Did you not read a 1+PO above?

And you said “no ability to improve and down hill from here.” So I corrected your statement. Cap won’t be a reason because of Gobert 1+PO (see if spelling that out for you 3rd time helps) and cap going up due to huge TV deal (2nd time spelling that out for you).

Now the picks because you were too lazy to look it up instead just chose to spit false tales.

This very offseason they can literally trade 2x 1sts, and 3x swaps (2024 #27 and 2031 plus 2029 6-30 protected if they wanted). Swaps are 26 (after Jazz), 28, 30. And that is this very offseason - future clears even more picks.
KOA
Lead Assistant

Post#149 » by KOA » Thu May 23, 2024 2:58 am

Wolveswin wrote:
KOA wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:Wrong. But I get you don’t follow the Wolves.

And you said “no ability to improve and down hill from here.” So I corrected your statement. Cap won’t be a reason because of Gobert 1+PO (see if spelling that out for you 3rd time helps) and cap going up due to huge TV deal (2nd time spelling that out for you).

Now the picks because you were too lazy to look it up instead just chose to spit false tales.

This very offseason they can literally trade 2x 1sts, and 3x swaps (2024 #27 and 2031 plus 2029 6-30 protected if they wanted). Swaps are 26 (after Jazz), 28, 30. And that is this very offseason - future clears even more picks.

Again, the wolves are hitting the second apron this offseason. Nothing you said changes that.

The wolves have 2 first round picks to trade with one of them being in the one of the worst draft in recent memory? If you think that’s considered “plenty” of picks then there really isn’t any point to debating this topic. Forget that they won’t be able to trade 2032+ picks after hitting the second apron in 2024…
Wolveswin
General Manager

Post#150 » by Wolveswin » Thu May 23, 2024 4:01 am

KOA wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:
KOA wrote:

Again, the wolves are hitting the second apron this offseason. Nothing you said changes that.

The wolves have 2 first round picks to trade with one of them being in the one of the worst draft in recent memory? If you think that’s considered “plenty” of picks then there really isn’t any point to debating this topic. Forget that they won’t be able to trade 2032+ picks after hitting the second apron in 2024…

You said Wolves traded them all for Gobert. They have 2+ 1sts and 3x swaps. How do they have those if you said they traded them all? They have plenty of picks to do what they need - upgrade the team - another thing you said they couldn’t do.

You also said they would be in cap hell. One year of apron then out isn’t hell. Again something you said was wrong.

You said they had a this year only window. Again something you are wrong. Anderson is only player they may lose after this playoff run. And have assets to backfill. They have way more than a 1 year window with so many players locked in (Edwards, McDaniels, Towns, Conley with Gobert a virtual lock).
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,725

Post#151 » by Warriorfan » Thu May 23, 2024 8:06 am

Still an overpay. Kessler at 1/20 the cost and 10yrs younger by himself provides more than half the production.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,749

Post#152 » by shrink » Thu May 23, 2024 10:41 am

Warriorfan wrote:Still an overpay. Kessler at 1/20 the cost and 10yrs younger by himself provides more than half the production

I’ve been trying to get people to stop with this line of reasoning for years.

“Winning games” requires players that are better than your opponents. Whether you win by 1 or 100, teams still get wins by scoring more points than opponents. “Half the production - for cheap!” guys get you cost-effective losses.

Said another way, I can easily construct a team that provides 80% of the production of a good team for a fraction of the price. But the goal of a team is to win games, and the team I created would win very few.

Exceptional players drive winning, and the reason they are so expensive is because in most cases, they are worth it. In fact, they are likely would be paid even more in a free economy, but are restricted by max deal language in the CBA.
bananazn
Sophomore
And1: 169

Post#153 » by bananazn » Thu May 23, 2024 10:50 am

Warriorfan wrote:Still an overpay. Kessler at 1/20 the cost and 10yrs younger by himself provides more than half the production.

Warriors should have traded klay for Kennard or JJ reddick they give you 50 to 75 % of his production at 1/20 the cost tbh
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,128

Post#154 » by ChipotleWest » Thu May 23, 2024 10:58 am

Not saying he has no use against any NBA team, but I knew he would be useless against the Mavs. I thought he could at least stop Gafford and Lively from getting lobs but nope, couldn't stop Luka or Kyrie from eating at the rim either.
Astaluego
Senior
And1: 239

Post#155 » by Astaluego » Thu May 23, 2024 11:12 am

Baseline81 wrote:
HanzGruber wrote:Idk man. The cubs and Red Sox went 100 years without winning. I doubt their fans would have said ruining your future just to make it to the championship and lose woulda been worth it. Winning is everything

Please explain.

Can we agree the players the team gave up isn't an issue?

- Malik Beasley
- Patrick Beverley
- Leandro Bolmaro
- Walker Kessler (No. 22 pick in 2022 Draft)
- Jarred Vanderbilt

After that, it's the picks:

- Keynonte George (2023 first-round pick)
- 2025 first-round pick
- 2026 pick swap
- 2027 first-round pick
- 2029 first-round pick

Honestly, it's really the 2027 and 2029 picks one has to keep an eye on. I'm not sure how two future picks qualifies as "ruining your future."

You have to take into account your salary as well and how that will limit your future flexibility. I like Rudy (a lot), but he is not a top player in my opinion...as he says, they could have Kessler and all the teams to get a young guard and fear a 10-year championship window
Old Mike Lorenzo
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,749

Post#156 » by shrink » Thu May 23, 2024 11:22 am

Astaluego wrote:I like Rudy (a lot), but he is not a top player in my opinion...

In positionless All NBA voting, Gobert came in 19th, in front of Wemby, Zion, Banchero, Fox and Adebayo. I would consider all of these guys as top players.

I think Gobert is a hard player to evaluate. He often fails the eye test, and he lacks certain NBA skills that even average players possess. On the other hand, there are other skills where he is elite, and they often aren’t reflected in his box score. I think he can be one of the most polarizing players in the NBA, and it makes sense that posters have widely varying views of him and this trade.
bananazn
Sophomore
And1: 169

Post#157 » by bananazn » Thu May 23, 2024 12:02 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:Not saying he has no use against any NBA team, but I knew he would be useless against the Mavs. I thought he could at least stop Gafford and Lively from getting lobs but nope, couldn't stop Luka or Kyrie from eating at the rim either.

The gobert drop scheme just isn't working against Luka and kyrie but he was still their best defender... when he got benched mavs had a field day at the rim
Ant and KJ getting beaten 1v1 all night left Gobert to defend the pnr 2v1 on several possessions and he often had to pick between getting lobbed or drived and open midrange.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,802

Post#158 » by Bergmaniac » Thu May 23, 2024 12:08 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:Not saying he has no use against any NBA team, but I knew he would be useless against the Mavs. I thought he could at least stop Gafford and Lively from getting lobs but nope, couldn't stop Luka or Kyrie from eating at the rim either.

The Wolves' defence was really good when Gobert was on the court (100 DRTG). In the 10 minutes he sat on the bench they had a disastrous 165.0 defensive rating. Yeah, Lively and Gafford got a few lobs when he played but he also snuffed out quite a few attempts for this and Luka and Kyrie made quite a few tough 2 pointers but the Wolves defensive plan of not giving up corner 3s and forcing Luka and Kyrie to beat them with low eexpected value mid range shot worked fine when Gobert was on the court. The problem for the Wolves was their defence when Gobert was on the bench and their offense, especially when Edwards was on the bench when they had no clue at all, which forced them to play him too much, not their defence when Gobert played.
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,128

Post#159 » by ChipotleWest » Thu May 23, 2024 12:37 pm

bananazn wrote:

The gobert drop scheme just isn't working against Luka and kyrie but he was still their best defender... when he got benched mavs had a field day at the rim
Ant and KJ getting beaten 1v1 all night left Gobert to defend the pnr 2v1 on several possessions and he often had to pick between getting lobbed or drived and open midrange.

Luka is deceptively strong Ant and KJ won't be able to stop him from getting to the rim, it takes a player like Dort who's built like a tank to do it and even then he got away with a lot of fouls last series, and Dort still could only stop him so much Luka still averaged 25 on a sprain knee (his worse series ever).
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 23,321

Post#160 » by dhsilv2 » Thu May 23, 2024 12:38 pm

Wolveswin wrote:

Why would Gobert take less money? He's coming off of another DPOY award and he has his team in the conference finals. He already took a discount for the Jazz. Why do it again?

Return to The General Board