McHale on KG trade

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Rooster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11

Post#21 » by Rooster » Fri Feb 8, 2008 5:18 pm

^Great post but I'd remove Phoenix from that list. That management has made some enormous blunders and the team is paying for it dearly.
Schadenfreude wrote:Not going to lie, if I found out that one of the seemingly illiterate morons we'd banned on the Raptors board was Primoz Brezec, it'd pretty much make my decade.
sule
RealGM
And1: 34,205

Post#22 » by sule » Fri Feb 8, 2008 5:23 pm

^^I never said to give up all your youth or not focus on drafting well. I was using Miami as an example, but their problem was partly in signing a bunch of ring-chasers, who were on their last legs, or acquiring players, who are good in a limited role, but once the injuries piled up, were exposed for what they really were: not that good.

It's true that a good GM needs a good balance, but I think that, if you look at Boston, then surely you can argue that, if they are contenders for the next couple years, and if they draft well, they can maintain a very good level of play after guys like Garnett and Pierce are gone.

And obviously there are plenty of variables that need to be taken into consideration, but i think that if a trade offer comes along where you can flip some of your youth for an elite player that will make you an instant contender, a la Boston, then the trade is worth it, and mortgaging that future is a reasonable risk. I mean, admit it, Boston had some decent talent on that team, but I'll just flat out assume that they wouldn't have been nearly as good as they are now, or will be for the next two or three years if they had kept that team in tact.
triplet1984
General Manager
And1: 177

Post#23 » by triplet1984 » Fri Feb 8, 2008 6:06 pm

Al Jefferson is a hell of a YOUNG big man though. I mean other than guys like Dwight Howard who aren't available, he's one of the best young prospects out there. I could totally see McHale saying "well if we wanna trade KG, getting a young player who can be dominant is the way to go".

Now, I think maybe Kevin's relationship with Ainge helped create a situation where he was actually in a position to GET Al Jefferson, maybe. but thats no crime.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,295

Post#24 » by celticfan42487 » Fri Feb 8, 2008 6:16 pm

I don't understand how anyone can think MIA mortgage their future when they kept a healthy Wade who was top-10 NBA the following season after the trade and what 24 years old?

If you have a franchise player that young, your future isn't mortgaged
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,047

Post#25 » by loserX » Fri Feb 8, 2008 6:44 pm

McHale's "Garnett trade" legacy hasn't been completely determined yet.

They got:
Al Jefferson - great pickup
Theo Ratliff - pure cap relief
Boston '09 pick - hard to know until that draft, but it could easily end up being 28th-30th overall, essentially a 2nd rounder
returned Minny future pick - that pick was protected, and Minny was terrible...it's entirely possible it would have turned into a 2012 2nd rounder before Boston ever got it (I'm not exaggerating, that was the condition)
Sebastian Telfair, Gerald Green, Ryan Gomes - three young guys with varying degrees of potential...and yet due to a looming luxury tax (and Green's poor play) it is entirely possible that not a single one of them will be with the team next season, with nothing in return.

So Minny might have gotten a decent return...or they might have gotten Al Jefferson, capspace and a couple of virtual-2nd-rounders (i.e. Jefferson and a couple of bags of nothin') for one of the greats. We'll have to see how it shakes down.
Cevap
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#26 » by Cevap » Fri Feb 8, 2008 6:52 pm

comparing shaq with KG is the same as comparing kobe with michael redd....rediculous
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,917

Post#27 » by theGreatRC » Fri Feb 8, 2008 7:04 pm

loserX wrote:McHale's "Garnett trade" legacy hasn't been completely determined yet.

They got:
Al Jefferson - great pickup
Theo Ratliff - pure cap relief
Boston '09 pick - hard to know until that draft, but it could easily end up being 28th-30th overall, essentially a 2nd rounder
returned Minny future pick - that pick was protected, and Minny was terrible...it's entirely possible it would have turned into a 2012 2nd rounder before Boston ever got it (I'm not exaggerating, that was the condition)
Sebastian Telfair, Gerald Green, Ryan Gomes - three young guys with varying degrees of potential...and yet due to a looming luxury tax (and Green's poor play) it is entirely possible that not a single one of them will be with the team next season, with nothing in return.

So Minny might have gotten a decent return...or they might have gotten Al Jefferson, capspace and a couple of virtual-2nd-rounders (i.e. Jefferson and a couple of bags of nothin') for one of the greats. We'll have to see how it shakes down.

Good Post. I think Ryan has earned himself a nice contract next season with the wolves, and with the second round contract rules, the Wolves could get him for cheap and/or match any contract a team offers him.

Gerald Green is obviously off the team, he is rotting on the bench; he would do great in a running system where there isn't many screens/picks/rolls, maybe GS could pick him up as an energy guy off the bench: Straight Gunner.

Sebastian Telfair looks decent in recent months, last game he had 12 assists and NO turnovers; excellent from a guard. His offense is very inconsistent and is a decrepit finisher at the rim. He is a gambler on the defensive end, but his quickness allows him to stay in front of his man at all times.

The returned Minny pick was more valuable than any pick other teams had to offer.

The 09 Boston pick looks to be in the high 20's.

Overall, the trade is pretty fair half-way through the season; outsiders looking in will obviously say it isn't, but to the Minnesota fan, it makes sense in a lot of ways and Jefferson; the main player in the deal, is far better than any of us expected. Kevin wanted to win a championship, and Minnesota wasn't able to surround him with a good talented roster except for 03-04, and trading him would be for the best.

Thumbs up Mcheezy.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,725

Post#28 » by Klomp » Fri Feb 8, 2008 7:14 pm

KG who? I thought Kendall Gill was retired...
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,706

Post#29 » by Worm Guts » Fri Feb 8, 2008 7:16 pm

theGreatRC wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The returned Minny pick was more valuable than any pick other teams had to offer.

No it wasn't.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,917

Post#30 » by theGreatRC » Fri Feb 8, 2008 7:19 pm

Worm Guts wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

No it wasn't.

Name a pick that was more valuable than the other teams had to offer.

Returning the pick would mean one less team we had to give up a pick on.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,706

Post#31 » by Worm Guts » Fri Feb 8, 2008 7:24 pm

theGreatRC wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Name a pick that was more valuable than the other teams had to offer.

Returning the pick would mean one less team we had to give up a pick on.

To be truthful we have no idea how valuable the pick is because it was so far in the future. The Wolves owe their current pick to Clippers but it's top 10 protected until 2011. The pick owed to Boston had to come 2 years after the Clippers pick was given up.

Return to The General Board