Washington Wizards Stuck In The Middle

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Re: Washington Wizards Stuck In The Middle 

Post#21 » by Kabookalu » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:41 pm

For me the sign of a good GM is someone who can find those diamonds in a rough. I'm not saying it's easy knocking out lottery picks, but you're more likely to get a 3rd overall pick right than get a 25th pick right.

I've always liked the core of Wall, Beal, and Porter, though it's inexcusable that the Wizards have consistently failed to bring them help anywhere else. You'd think he'd get it right once even by accident after all these years. Unbelievable that Ernie Grunfeld still has a job.
Read on Twitter
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,766

Post#22 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:46 pm

Yeah, Cousins would fit nicely there. I don't know if they have the dough to get him though.
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Post#23 » by RaptorsLife » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:56 pm

you know 1 thing I find very curious

there's only 4 team that have a top 10 offense and top 10 defense

warriors
rockets
Raptors
and the Wizards

I'm not sure why that's translating to wins but yeah wizards are sleepers if they can win some games.

there starters are top 3 in net rating lineups
Raptors til death
Deezzraptors
Pro Prospect
And1: 417

Re: RE: Re: Washington Wizards Stuck In The Middle 

Post#24 » by Deezzraptors » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:05 pm

pcbothwel wrote:ummm No. Our 1-4 of Wall, Beal, Oubre, and Otto is deadly and fans of Toronto, Boston, and Cleveland can say whatever they want... NOBODY wants to see that lineup in the playoffs. We now have Satoransky doing his best Tom Brady with turnovers and Mike Scott scoring in whatever way he sees fit.
No trade needs to be or should be made.
No one is scared of the wizards lmao...
Shanghai Kid
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#25 » by Shanghai Kid » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:17 pm

[quote="RaptorsLife"]you know 1 thing I find very curious

warriors
rockets
Raptors
and the Wizards

I'm not sure why that's translating to wins but yeah wizards are sleepers if they can win some games.

there starters are top 3 in net rating lineups[/quote

You have to factor in the starters have been in and out with health issues. But their bench and defense are both improved from last year. I think they'll be fine.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Re: RE: Washington Wizards Stuck In The Middle 

Post#26 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:51 pm

J-Wolves wrote:Washington Wizards Stuck In The Middle ... of the playoffs.

Good team but several teams in the same boat and currently no hope to win it all.
125m payroll and spending 29m per at Center - Mahinmi (16.6m, 15.9m,15.4m) & Gortat (12.7m, 13.5m)
Others say the Wizards will simply go no where because John Wall as a number 1 is no star, just a numbers guy and he is just too inefficient.

Who does this team need that is get-able for the right trade?
No team wins with your best players at PG-SG-SF with no star big-man.
D.Cousins is often linked to the Wizards, anyone else?

You have to give something to get something or are the wizards happy standing pat stuck in the middle like so many teams before and so many teams to come?

If you were the Wizards who would you trade to try and get this team to be a true contender?
On the Wizards board we feel that the only trade that they will make is to get under the salary cap. This owner and this general manager are quite content with mediocrity as long as it lines their pockets.

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#27 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:52 pm

clyde21 wrote:
bulliedog8 wrote:Their core is still young. They need to go the raptors route and just build a good bench around them.

Wall 27
Beal 24
Porter 24
Oubre 22

Id give those guys another 4-5 years together before blowing up. Not saying they will ever win a title, but usually title teams win when their star players are around the age 27-29. And as wall gets into the 30s, beal porter and oubre can handle more so wall can stay relatively healthy.

Oubre is getting overrated. Why is he considered part of any core at this point? He's barely shooting 40% from the field with a 12 PER. He's still 22, but he's in his third year. Look at what Kuzma is doing for the Lakers at 22 in his first year.

Even if you look at his advanced stuff, he's nothing more than an average role players at this point. He's got a negative BPM and a marginal +1 Net Rating, and the Wizards actually do a little better with him off the floor.
I'm not looking at stats right now and I wonder if this is still true...

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#28 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:54 pm

Kabookalu wrote:For me the sign of a good GM is someone who can find those diamonds in a rough. I'm not saying it's easy knocking out lottery picks, but you're more likely to get a 3rd overall pick right than get a 25th pick right.

I've always liked the core of Wall, Beal, and Porter, though it's inexcusable that the Wizards have consistently failed to bring them help anywhere else. You'd think he'd get it right once even by accident after all these years. Unbelievable that Ernie Grunfeld still has a job.
Unbelievable is one word.

Depressing frustrating annoying aggravating mind-boggling sickening never ending...

Bye bye Beal.
Mister Ze
RealGM
And1: 23,201

Post#29 » by Mister Ze » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:55 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
J-Wolves wrote:Washington Wizards Stuck In The Middle ... of the playoffs.

Good team but several teams in the same boat and currently no hope to win it all.
125m payroll and spending 29m per at Center - Mahinmi (16.6m, 15.9m,15.4m) & Gortat (12.7m, 13.5m)
Others say the Wizards will simply go no where because John Wall as a number 1 is no star, just a numbers guy and he is just too inefficient.

Who does this team need that is get-able for the right trade?

You have to give something to get something or are the wizards happy standing pat stuck in the middle like so many teams before and so many teams to come?

If you were the Wizards who would you trade to try and get this team to be a true contender?
On the Wizards board we feel that the only trade that they will make is to get under the salary cap. This owner and this general manager are quite content with mediocrity as long as it lines their pockets.

The Wizards have the 5th highest payroll in the league, I don't think your point is valid. A cheap owner would have let Porter walk.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,159

Post#30 » by skones » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:56 pm

20-13 with Wall (49.7 Win Pace). 5-6 without. Thin at backup PG and being forced to turn to Tim Frazier during an absence. Seems about right.
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,265

Post#31 » by John Murdoch » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:58 pm

Porter has been a let down for me defensively this year. Satoransky on the other hand has shown flashes of being a very servicable backup which is nice for them . For me they are the Blazers of the East ..elite backcourt but not much else
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
RealGM

Post#32 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:59 pm

RaptorsLife wrote:you know 1 thing I find very curious

warriors
rockets
Raptors
and the Wizards

there starters are top 3 in net rating lineups
I believe they're one player away from being an elite team. Their coach is not elite and both starting guards are not great at making decisions in the clutch.

Bye bye Beal.
ChiTownHero1992
Starter
And1: 1,458

Post#33 » by ChiTownHero1992 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:02 pm

I think the Wizards could use a good Stretch 4...if you put Mirotic on that line-up they could be pretty deadly.

Waal/Beal/Porter/Mirotic/Gortat is definitely a better team than CLE at that point, i'd say they beat TOR too and hang with BOS easy.
Cornbread
Senior
And1: 623

Post#34 » by Cornbread » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:09 pm

The Wiz need one more player better than Wall to be contenders and they don’t have any reasonable path (outside of getting lucky) to getting that primary piece.
JunkYardDog6ix
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,378

Post#35 » by JunkYardDog6ix » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:09 pm

Otto Potter Jr overrated ?
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,053

Post#36 » by queridiculo » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:23 pm

J-Wolves wrote:Who does this team need that is get-able for the right trade?

The Wizards situation isn't quite like shuffling deck chairs on the titanic, but it's pretty close.

It all started out well enough with drafting Wall, Beal and Porter, but everything in between has been an unmitigated disaster.

From Grunfeld's drafts, to the free agency decisions they've made and the choice of coaches nothing has really worked in Washington's favor.

There are no shortcuts for the Wizards to contender status, there are no obvious trades that are going to put them over the top, and they're capped out to the point where there aren't going to be any answers in free agency either.

For the Wizards to get over the hump it has to start with the two guys that have been yapping about how good they are before the season even started.

Wall and Beal need to finally see the light and realize that they can't get it done by themselves, and Wall in particular has to become a much more cerebral basketball player than he currently is.

As a group Washington has to develop a mindset of getting it done no matter who the opponent. It starts with respecting your opponents, showing consistent effort on defense and ends with doing it for the W and not the glory.

The Wizards are very similar to the Raptors in that they have really good franchise players but none that are great.

To me the difference between the two squads is that Toronto's front office is in much better shape in that they realize how important the draft is and in how they have managed to augment their players with productive prospects that are filling out the roster without killing the pay roll.
Att
Senior
And1: 162

Post#37 » by Att » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:28 pm

I hear Hinkie is available :)
He's a top3 GM sitting on the bench.
Pretty much the answer to at least half of the teams in the league which are struggling to achieve their desired results.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,053

Post#38 » by queridiculo » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:32 pm

Master Ze wrote:The Wizards have the 5th highest payroll in the league, I don't think your point is valid. A cheap owner would have let Porter walk.

The Wizards have never paid the luxury tax in its history, and they've dumped a first round pick to avoid paying the luxury tax last year, a pick that ended up being Jarrett Allen but that could have very well been Kuzma.

Then there's the fact that they lowballed Porter to begin with.

Leonsis parameter for success is a team that makes the playoffs without having to exceed the luxury tax threshold. Don't confuse a high payroll with a commitment to pay whatever it takes to win.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#39 » by The_Hater » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:43 pm

dukes_wild wrote:It's because of John Wall.

He soaks up a ton of the offense, yet his efficiency is middle of the pack at best. It's a shame that many people don't seem to understand this.

Wall isn't the problem specifically, he's an all-star and one of the top 20 players in the league. The problem is when John Wall is your best player, you're ceiling is only so high. You need superstars to contend.

But don't think for a second that the Raps don't have a very similar problem with Derozan and Lowry as their best players, they just have better depth so they're usually a better regular season team.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.

Return to The General Board