Kevin Durant the Beta "Warrior"

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

mg
General Manager
And1: 4,027

Kevin Durant the Beta "Warrior" 

Post#1 » by mg » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:16 pm

With the recent play of the Warriors I think it's glaringly obvious that despite all his physical gifts KD is not a leader.
He needed Westbrook in OKC and Curry in Golden State. Now with all of the LA Laker talk here we go again with him possibly going to a team where he can be the beta.

Has there ever been such a decorated player in the NBA who seems incapable of leading his own squad?

For this reason maybe he should consider a team such as the Clippers if he moves in FA next summer? They have the better surrounding talent and KD could prove to the world he as the alpha dog can actually lead a team through the rigors of a regular season and the playoffs.
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,624

Re: Kevin Durant the Beta "Warrior" 

Post#2 » by Cappy_Smurf » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:19 pm

It's all Westbrook's, er, I mean Draymond's fault.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
23-_6-_23
Sophomore
And1: 413

Post#3 » by 23-_6-_23 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:22 pm

I hate Durant just as much as the next guy but when it mattered the most he dominated the finals. Warriors don't win the past two rings without him.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,295

Post#4 » by Cavsfansince84 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:23 pm

He already stated that a big part of him going to GS was that he wouldn't need to lead. ie this has already been covered by KD himself. Having said that, I think he did a pretty good job of leading a team through a regular season and playoffs when WB was out in 2014. I don't think a player should have to excel in the alpha role in order to be appreciated though. He can't change his personality. Duncan was a very quiet sort of guy too and he's sort of lucky that he got paired with a coach like Pop who obviously is a very good leader and communicator. Not all superstar level players are great leaders. Even Curry imo isn't some great leader.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#5 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:23 pm

mg wrote:With the recent play of the Warriors I think it's glaringly obvious that despite all his physical gifts KD is not a leader.
He needed Westbrook in OKC and Curry in Golden State. Now with all of the LA Laker talk here we go again with him possibly going to a team where he can be the beta.

Has there ever been such a decorated player in the NBA who seems incapable of leading his own squad?

For this reason maybe he should consider a team such as the Clippers if he moves in FA next summer? They have the better surrounding talent and KD could prove to the world he as the alpha dog can actually lead a team through the rigors of a regular season and the playoffs.

If he wants to this this kind of thing he should sign with the Jazz. Might even get a championship out of it.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Yoshun
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,722

Post#6 » by Yoshun » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:24 pm

I love all of the macho alpha/beta stuff, it always makes me laugh.
mike76
Junior
And1: 344

Post#7 » by mike76 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:25 pm

23-_6-_23 wrote:I hate Durant just as much as the next guy but when it mattered the most he dominated the finals. Warriors don't win the past two rings without him.

How can we say that for certain? Warriors blew out the Cavs in both series with KD. If you take out KD, the series are certainly more evenly matched obviously. But that doesn't mean the Warriors in any universe become worse than the Cavs or even last year Rockets (KD really struggled in that series). Plus Warriors could use all the cap space and pick up some other good players (maybe other stars or some good bench pieces).

Like this is a reminder to folks, the Warriors were a great team before KD and will remain a great team after KD. Not trying to be a KD hater, but just stating the obvious.
alebaba
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,366

Post#8 » by alebaba » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:26 pm

Curry is not a leader, Draymond is.
Michael Jordan
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,790

Post#9 » by Michael Jordan » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:31 pm

Durant on the Clippers, Pelicans, Celtics, and Nuggets would be interesting to see.

KD thinks he's on Lebron's level after making comments about him "passing the torch to him", but he really ain't **** for joining a 73 win team to do it.
enigmatics
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,247

Post#10 » by enigmatics » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:34 pm

Another Stan thread about Durant?

Must be something in the water around here.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Post#11 » by clyde21 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:03 pm

alebaba wrote:Curry is not a leader, Draymond is.

Why? Because he yells more?
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,027

Post#12 » by mg » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:27 pm

Yoshun wrote:I love all of the macho alpha/beta stuff, it always makes me laugh.

Obviously it bugs Durant. Otherwise why would he be out there creating burner accounts?
HelloFriends
Freshman
And1: 107

Post#13 » by HelloFriends » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:35 pm

23-_6-_23 wrote:I hate Durant just as much as the next guy but when it mattered the most he dominated the finals. Warriors don't win the past two rings without him.

This statement is just ... lol. They already won a ring without him... soo idk man.

If GS didnt play sloppy down the stretch in 16. They would've won too. The behind the back curry pass out of bounds? The frustration by Draymond that led to his tech? If GS played more level headed, they would've won.

There wasn't a gap between GS and the team above them, where they needed KD to win. They were already title favorites. Adding KD basically moved the 50% (or w/e) chance of winning the ring to 100%.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,085
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#14 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:41 pm

"Leadership" is probably the most overrated thing in sports history. Were you guys all the leader of your teams growing up, or were you beta'd by some mega alpha who led you to all of your successes?

You should call your alpha leader and thank him.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"

Return to The General Board