Woj: Some Players getting cold feet about playing in Orlando

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,680

Re: Woj: Some Players getting cold feet about playing in Orlando 

Post#881 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:40 pm

asdfgh wrote:I am pessimistic about the NBA coming back at this point. It looks like the Europeans will be able to complete their football leagues. They have done a much better job than the U.S. dealing with the virus.

It will happen. Only way this potentially gets stopped is if it gets into the bubble (which seems inevitable)
*Insert witty signature here.*
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,183

Post#882 » by D.Brasco » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:50 pm

The NBA with all their minds and resources should have looked to how lightly Florida was taking the pandemic in April at least and realized that was the wrong state to hold their restart in.

I actually think Washington State would have been or maybe still would be a better spot.
BigSleep333
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,632

Post#883 » by BigSleep333 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:50 pm

asdfgh wrote:I am pessimistic about the NBA coming back at this point. It looks like the Europeans will be able to complete their football leagues. They have done a much better job than the U.S. dealing with the virus.

has to correlate with the government leadership. you got the dumbest of all. i feel sorry for yall.
asdfgh
Lead Assistant
And1: 755

Post#884 » by asdfgh » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:55 pm

BigSleep333 wrote:

has to correlate with the government leadership. you got the dumbest of all. i feel sorry for yall.

Well people vote for their leaders (or choose not to vote and let others decide for them).
BigSleep333
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,632

Post#885 » by BigSleep333 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:02 pm

asdfgh wrote:
BigSleep333 wrote:

Well people vote for their leaders (or choose not to vote and let others decide for them).

true, but more people voted for hillary than trump. you also got a weird election system. it also comes down to just 2 parties every time. its basically black or white and no inbetween. thats crazy.

but back to topic. please get it straight in orlando, florida. im desperate for NBA-basketball
asdfgh
Lead Assistant

Post#886 » by asdfgh » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:27 pm

BigSleep333 wrote:
asdfgh wrote:
BigSleep333 wrote:

true, but more people voted for hillary than trump. you also got a weird election system. it also comes down to just 2 parties every time. its basically black or white and no inbetween. thats crazy.

but back to topic. please get it straight in orlando, florida. im desperate for NBA-basketball

Sure, more people voted for Clinton, but many of them abstained from the primary, where they could have voted for Bernie who stands for issues like universal healthcare or free public education, which are issues most Democratic voters agree with. Many of them also abstain from local elections, gubernatorial elections etc., which play a big role in why we have such a dysfunctional system. Maybe if more people participated in elections, referenda etc., we wouldn't have a system where the person with fewer votes wins, or a system with only 2 options. The first-past-the-post system we have in the U.S. isn't that much different than what they have in the UK or Canada, countries that have a functioning multiparty system. American voters treat politics like sports unfortunately. Anyway, enough about that. I just had to get it out of my system.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,177

Post#887 » by xdrta+ » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:45 pm

asdfgh wrote:
BigSleep333 wrote:
asdfgh wrote:

Sure, more people voted for Clinton, but many of them abstained from the primary, where they could have voted for Bernie who stands for issues like universal healthcare or free public education, which are issues most Democratic voters agree with. Many of them also abstain from local elections, gubernatorial elections etc., which play a big role in why we have such a dysfunctional system. Maybe if more people participated in elections, referenda etc., we wouldn't have a system where the person with fewer votes wins, or a system with only 2 options. The first-past-the-post system we have in the U.S. isn't that much different than what they have in the UK or Canada, countries that have a functioning multiparty system. American voters treat politics like sports unfortunately. Anyway, enough about that. I just had to get it out of my system.

Plenty of people voted in the primary, just more of them voted for Clinton. If anything, Sanders' voters were more fervent, there just weren't enough of them. And the only reason a candidate with fewer votes can win in America, is the insane Electoral College, a holdover from 200 years ago. No other country is so foolish as to have such a system.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,314

Post#888 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:48 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:

It will happen. Only way this potentially gets stopped is if it gets into the bubble (which seems inevitable)

That's on the league then. If they're going to create a "bubble" then create an actual bubble. If you create an actual bubble and everyone that enters the bubble initially are free of Corona, then no one will get it. They have the financial means to get this done pretty easily.
Hellcrooner
Veteran
And1: 2,110

Post#889 » by Hellcrooner » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:51 pm

mmmm

how is the situation in hawaaii, puerto rico, virgin islands or alaska?

is not late to change the venue.

i bet players would much rather be bubbled in hawaai than orlando.
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,724

Post#890 » by leolozon » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:02 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
asdfgh wrote:
BigSleep333 wrote:

Plenty of people voted in the primary, [just more of them voted for Clinton. If anything, Sanders' voters were more fervent, there just weren't enough of them. And the only reason a candidate with fewer votes can win in America, is the insane Electoral College, a holdover from 200 years ago. No other country is so foolish as to have such a system.

Or the concept of super delegates in the primaries...

"In New Hampshire, where Sanders won the vote by a gaping margin (60% to 38%) and set a record for the largest number of votes ever, the screen read “16 Sanders, 16 Clinton”."

The primaries were rigged for Clinton with those super delegates basically pledging their allegiances before things even got started.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jun/11/democrat-primary-elections-need-reform
asdfgh
Lead Assistant

Post#891 » by asdfgh » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:07 pm

Hellcrooner wrote:mmmm

how is the situation in hawaaii, puerto rico, virgin islands or alaska?

is not late to change the venue.

i bet players would much rather be bubbled in hawaai than orlando.

Hawaii is doing better, but I don't think there is a venue that could host the games. Their tourism industry however is dead and it will take years to recover.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Post#892 » by wco81 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:54 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:

That's on the league then. If they're going to create a "bubble" then create an actual bubble. If you create an actual bubble and everyone that enters the bubble initially are free of Corona, then no one will get it. They have the financial means to get this done pretty easily.

Scott Gottlieb is supposedly consulting for the NBA on pandemic issues.

He said that it would be bad optics if NBA starts playing in the bubble while the city and area surrounding it are having high infections, at a time when there needs to be a lot of testing and hospitals are filled.

So NBA would be using resources to keep their players and staff safe, right in the middle of an area in a bad situation.
zshawn10
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,338

Post#893 » by zshawn10 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:15 pm

Read on Twitter
SkyHookFTW
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,074

Post#894 » by SkyHookFTW » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:18 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
asdfgh wrote:
BigSleep333 wrote:

Plenty of people voted in the primary, just more of them voted for Clinton. If anything, Sanders' voters were more fervent, there just weren't enough of them. And the only reason a candidate with fewer votes can win in America, is the insane Electoral College, a holdover from 200 years ago. No other country is so foolish as to have such a system.

There is a very good reason for having that system, but I have neither the time or energy to explain why.
"It's scarier than Charles Barkley at an all you can eat buffet." --Shaq on Shark Week
"My secret to getting rebounds? It's called go get the damn ball." --Charles Barkley
SkyHookFTW
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,074

Post#895 » by SkyHookFTW » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:20 pm

Speaking of basketball, I am beginning to think that no state may want to take a chance on hosting any sporting event, even though the death rate from Covid-19 we now know is much lower than ever thought. Is it possible to have the NBA finish a season overseas? I know it sounds ridiculous, but if no state will take the chance, it's better than nothing.
"It's scarier than Charles Barkley at an all you can eat buffet." --Shaq on Shark Week
"My secret to getting rebounds? It's called go get the damn ball." --Charles Barkley
zshawn10
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,338

Post#896 » by zshawn10 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:00 pm

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1278064615541243905%7Ctwgr%5E&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2F2%2Ftwitter.min.html1278064615541243905
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,496

Post#897 » by zimpy27 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:15 pm

Woj: cold feet might be a symptom of coronavirus.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 30,567

Post#898 » by Sofia » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:44 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
asdfgh wrote:
BigSleep333 wrote:

Sorry for the quick thread derail, but that’s not an exclusive to America thing.
Spoiler:
In Australia’s 2010 election, the “Conservative“ party (Liberal/National Party) received 43.3% of primary votes. The “workers” party (Labor Party) received 38.0% of the primary vote. Both parties won 72 electorates each of the 150 total.

The Labor party formed a “minority Government” as they managed to negotiate the support of 3 “independent” and 1 Greens party electorate winner, while the LNP only secured support of 2, bringing the electorate tally to 76-74. Interestingly, despite the much lower primary, Labor’s 2 party preferred vote after preference flows was 50.1% to 49.9%.

The election was held on 21 August and the final decisions of the last independents didn’t happen until 7 September, essentially leaving Australia with a dissolved Government for weeks.
President of the Grady Dick Fanclub - top ****
President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub - go stiffies!
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,796

Post#899 » by SK21209 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:59 pm

Maybe I’m missing something but I’m really not sure where there’s such a strong “re-think the restart” sentiment. There were always going to be players who had covid which is why they’re testing them weeks ahead of time. Whatever you think of Florida, a “bubble” environment in any state is the best option you can hope for and I can’t think of a better candidate for a bubble than a self-sustaining Disney campus.

I’m also not sure why we’re crucifying Florida, Texas and Arizona. I’m pretty sure everyone expected there to be a surge in cases once things reopened and it seems like a huge portion of the new cases are young people who went out to the bars/restaurants and are having mild to no symptoms. They’ll shut down the bars and restaurants again to prevent overwhelming the healthcare providers and then open them up again soon. Seems fine to me, the point of all this was never to try and stop the virus.
nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,612

Post#900 » by nzahir » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:29 pm

Cmon Dwight, we need you

If Dwight sits, I will really lose faith in winning it all

Return to The General Board