Fire Sam Presti - Enough is enough

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,742

Re: Fire Sam Presti - Enough is enough 

Post#101 » by shi-woo » Sun Jul 7, 2019 7:51 pm

Right, let's act like injuries didn't ruin the Thunders window. Also, the owner is cheap.

Sent from my D6708 using RealGM mobile app
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,362

Post#102 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Jul 7, 2019 7:55 pm

Black Jack wrote:Presti is the Westbrook of GMs. Idiot savante who is incredible at accumulating assets but zero idea of how to mold a winner. Also hasto be called out for horrid coaching hires.

All in all, could be worse but he's made some incomprehensible decisions over the years.

Interesting comparison. I’m not sure I totally agree with it but you have some valid points. Some of the decisions he’s made the casual fan still doesn’t understand. For example why they thunder were cheap with harden and spent money the last two years. Heck, the post above this one says the owner is cheap. Really?

Presti is pretty good at finding talent but the finishing touches on the roster is where he struggles. Dion waiters, Kanter, Melo and schroder undo so much of the good he does. I was ready to move on from him until the George trade.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
cochiseuofm
Veteran
And1: 609

Post#103 » by cochiseuofm » Sun Jul 7, 2019 8:11 pm

Black Jack wrote:Presti is the Westbrook of GMs. Idiot savante who is incredible at accumulating assets but zero idea of how to mold a winner. Also hasto be called out for horrid coaching hires.

All in all, could be worse but he's made some incomprehensible decisions over the years.

No GM is going to be perfect in every move they make, I agree with criticizing the poor decisions but if you gave the good decisions Presti made equal weight, the idiot savant label would be overly harsh. Especially when it's pretty well-known that he's under constraints from ownership that other GMs aren't.
substancej
Junior
And1: 490

This forum in a nutshell 

Post#104 » by substancej » Sun Jul 7, 2019 8:14 pm

Kevin Love finna get traded
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,869

Re: This forum in a nutshell 

Post#105 » by scrabbarista » Sun Jul 7, 2019 8:14 pm

lol
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,778

Post#106 » by Bergmaniac » Sun Jul 7, 2019 8:15 pm

It's almost like different posters have different opinions or something...
Mich3006
Head Coach
And1: 3,682

Post#107 » by Mich3006 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 8:16 pm

Ice Trae
RealGM
And1: 11,005

Post#108 » by Ice Trae » Sun Jul 7, 2019 8:16 pm

Peak RealGM
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#109 » by Pillendreher » Sun Jul 7, 2019 8:46 pm

substancej wrote:Image

I'm fighting the good fight.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
yitur
Sixth Man
And1: 859

Post#110 » by yitur » Sun Jul 7, 2019 8:49 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:

Interesting comparison. I’m not sure I totally agree with it but you have some valid points. Some of the decisions he’s made the casual fan still doesn’t understand. For example why they thunder were cheap with harden and spent money the last two years. Heck, the post above this one says the owner is cheap. Really?

Presti is pretty good at finding talent but the finishing touches on the roster is where he struggles. Dion waiters, Kanter, Melo and schroder undo so much of the good he does. I was ready to move on from him until the George trade.

Don't you remember that owner didn't want to pay luxury tax so they had to trade Ibaka or Harden. Owner was so cheap that they didn't amnesty Perkins to keep Harden...
OfficialRef
Starter
And1: 2,450

Post#111 » by OfficialRef » Sun Jul 7, 2019 8:58 pm

he tries too hard in making complicated moves when he could easily make the simple one
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,362

Post#112 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Jul 7, 2019 9:06 pm

yitur wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:

Don't you remember that owner didn't want to pay luxury tax so they had to trade Ibaka or Harden. Owner was so cheap that they didn't amnesty Perkins to keep Harden...

Yes and it was a bad decision. Do you remember the time OKC added a billionaire partner to ownership, George Kaiser, and was able to pay a massive tax bill the last two years? No you don’t because you don’t keep up with what’s really happening. Was OKC cheap in the past? Yep and it cost them. Is that still a limitation that Presti has with the franchise? No.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,158

Post#113 » by slick_watts » Sun Jul 7, 2019 9:08 pm

sam presti made two basic mistakes during his tenure with okc so far. the first is that he did not show the appropriate sense of urgency while the thunder had kevin durant to maximize the team's chances for a title. moves like the harden trade and some of the lame acquisitions can be filed under that. the other is that he has had a habit of attempting rehabilitation projects. e.g. dion waiters, enes kanter, dennis schroder.

since kevin durant left he has been a different general manager. it has not resulted in much success on the court due to losing kd for nothing and then losing andre roberson for nothing, and then russell westbrook turning into charcoal. but he engineered the trade for paul george and got him to re-sign as a ufa. jerami grant has developed into a starting quality player. andre roberson turned into the best defensive wing in the nba. would the thunder be a bit better had sam presti acquired rodney hood instead of abdel nader? or stretched melo and used expirings + 1st to acquire someone other than dennis schroder? sure. but from 2016-pres. there's not a thing sam presti could have done with andre roberson going down and russell westbrook declining. if russell westbrook was still anywhere close to 2016-17 westbrook and andre roberson was healthy the thunder could have made the wcf this year.

presti's moves for anthony and for schroder, even though i didn't like them, show me that he's past some of his early naivete and reluctance to overstep his culture imperatives. the paul george trade he just consummated is on par with anything else he has done. he can't hold russell westbrook's hand and drag him into the gym to develop a jump shot, can he?

they should let presti orchestrate the rebuild. i doubt they'll get someone better to do it.

Return to The General Board