Do you think the NBA should stop giving teams multiple all stars just for having the best record?

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

Lepramaniac
Junior
And1: 254

Re: Do you think the NBA should stop giving teams multiple all stars just for having the best record? 

Post#101 » by Lepramaniac » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:39 pm

Actually I don't understand why players care so much about being selected to the all-star if they are gonna play like it's a pickup game giving zero effort. It's all about status to them, to be able to say 'yeah I'm an all-star'. I'd rather have worse players from winning teams selected but who play to win.
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,981

Re: Do you think the NBA should stop giving teams multiple all stars just for having the best record? 

Post#102 » by Jabroni Lames » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:41 pm

The case against "team record" rewarded all-stars....

Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,527

Post#103 » by Patsfan1081 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:43 pm

Shoe wrote:
ShotCreator wrote:Bradley Beal is a disgrace to winning basketball. He’s the worst high minutes defender in the NBA and he’s in his athletic peak.

He really hasn’t been good this season at all and he’s got to be having one of the worst high-scoring seasons I’ve ever seen, if not all-time.

Every basketball player and coach at every level of the game would laugh at you for saying that. You look at a few stats and call someone a disgrace. The Wizards are one of the youngest, most injured teams in the league, they play more zone than anyone else, they have the most G-Leaguers getting minutes. Beal's backcourt teammates Isaiah Thomas and Ish Smith cannot stay in front of their man and his rim protectors are big stiff Ian Mahinmi and Davis Bertans.

I wouldn't go as far and call him a disgrace but watching him I do notice the effort isn't always there on the defensive end for whatever reason. The Wizards had injuries last season and Beals defensive metrics weren't nearly as bad. I'm just saying a reason for his snub this season could be that his dropoff on that end has been noticeable.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,527

Post#104 » by Patsfan1081 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:46 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:The case against "team record" rewarded all-stars....

Teague def didn't deserve it, Horford and Milsap did though and at the time Kroger was having a historic shooting streak.
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,981

Post#105 » by Jabroni Lames » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:57 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:

Teague def didn't deserve it, Horford and Milsap did though and at the time Kroger was having a historic shooting streak.

Korver didn't deserve it either. He was really low usage (14%) for a starting wing, and he only averaged 12 PPG.... sure, that is an 3 minus D elite role player, but not an all-star. And both Milsap and Horford were bigs averaging ~16 pts and with non-elite rebounding (7-8 boards). Only one of them should have been selected to the all-star game. Yes, they were both terrific in their roles, but selecting 2 guys from the same front-court to the all-star game was a stretch.
jaybiddyforeal
Rookie
And1: 1,328

Post#106 » by jaybiddyforeal » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:02 pm

The point of basketball is to win. You naturally should lean towards players who accomplish the ultimate goal of the game.
Shoe
Bench Warmer
And1: 956

Post#107 » by Shoe » Sat Feb 1, 2020 3:33 am

All star Lowry with 7 points on 2/9 shooting in 31 minutes, and the Raptors win by 13. Some people here will bring up his +/- in a game like tonight to argue he was more impactful to winning than Beal's 34/9/9 performance.
Hoop Hunter
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,613

Post#108 » by Hoop Hunter » Sat Feb 1, 2020 3:39 am

Do you think the NBA should stop giving teams multiple all stars just for having the best record?

NO!
Jables
Analyst
And1: 2,455

Post#109 » by Jables » Sat Feb 1, 2020 3:47 am

I wanna see the best players in the All Star game. Remember when the Hawks had 4 All Stars and got swept in the playoffs? Yeah turns out Teagues charity All Star place doesn't turn players into actual stars.

However I will acknowledge that you'll probably not see too much of guys like Gobert if decent teams were taken entirely out of the equation. My argument is just watching him get ignored on the court unless he goes for a lob isn't fun to watch.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,426

Post#110 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Sat Feb 1, 2020 4:11 am

middleton's numbers ARE pretty damn good. 50/40/90. 25 per 36. 7 rebounsd and 5 assists per 36 too. Not lacking there. Definitely supplies supreme spacing. Vince made some allstar teams on the raptors not getting close to that efficiency. He's having a year.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,426

Post#111 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Sat Feb 1, 2020 4:12 am

Shoe wrote:All star Lowry with 7 points on 2/9 shooting in 31 minutes, and the Raptors win by 13. Some people here will bring up his +/- in a game like tonight to argue he was more impactful to winning than Beal's 34/9/9 performance.

Yeah some nuts will look at his plus minus or RPM over a period of nearly a decade and determine he's all star calibre. It is what it is.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
picko
Starter
And1: 3,469

Post#112 » by picko » Sat Feb 1, 2020 4:12 am

Teams very rarely have dominant years without multiple players operating at an All-Star level.

The Bucks are torching teams even when Gianni's sits or misses games. Middleton is a key reason for that. He is worthy of the All Star team over some guy getting empty stats on a terrible team.
Vince_Carter15
Pro Prospect
And1: 862

Post#113 » by Vince_Carter15 » Sat Feb 1, 2020 4:47 am

Shoe wrote:All star Lowry with 7 points on 2/9 shooting in 31 minutes, and the Raptors win by 13. Some people here will bring up his +/- in a game like tonight to argue he was more impactful to winning than Beal's 34/9/9 performance.

To help you understand.

Put Lowry on the Wizards, they will become a playoff team within a year.

Lowry is the most important player on the Raptors. I don’t want to go more in depth but its simple as that.
Joerezz7
Sixth Man
And1: 1,521

Post#114 » by Joerezz7 » Sun Feb 2, 2020 1:55 am

This took the cake right here lol. I forgot Jeff Teague and Kyle Korver made the all star team that year . Hilarious :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to The General Board