OT: Are Coaches In Suits Done For Good?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

TGW
RealGM
And1: 6,029

Re: OT: Are Coaches In Suits Done For Good? 

Post#101 » by TGW » Sat May 18, 2024 9:14 pm

I did appreciate Pat Riley looking like a Siciliian mob boss on the sidelines

Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
My Main Man
Bench Warmer
And1: 3,589

Post#102 » by My Main Man » Sat May 18, 2024 9:16 pm

azcatz11 wrote:Just another example of the downfall of our society. A suit used to mean something. People used to take pride in how they dressed. Now coaches where jogging sweatpants on the sideline.

Just another example of the downfall of our society. A powdered wig and a hand-embroidered tailcoat used to mean something. People used to take pride in how they dressed. Now they just wear suits made on assembly lines.

tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,409

Post#103 » by tsherkin » Sat May 18, 2024 9:16 pm

Why is it folk care about this? It isn't a board meeting...
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 30,149

Post#104 » by Dominator83 » Sat May 18, 2024 9:21 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:I like wearing suits so if I was coach, I would wear one. Now you know, put a good PR on me to your local NBA GM.

you do you, but I'm assuming you're less intelligent if I see you in a suit lol. And I'm in finance. It's funny...it's actually shaped my view of sales guys at conferences where they're trying to sell tech and solutions. Anyone in a tie, makes me want to pull away. And a suit..dear lord, sorry I'm not even talking to you.

You discriminate people for dressing well? That's a new one. I'm not much of a dresser myself. So i guess I'm hired? Lol
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,409

Post#105 » by tsherkin » Sat May 18, 2024 9:24 pm

TGW wrote:I did appreciate Pat Riley looking like a Siciliian mob boss on the sidelines

I'll give you this one. I don't really care about suits, but Riley did have his own style.
Mallie
Sophomore
And1: 268

Post#106 » by Mallie » Sat May 18, 2024 9:47 pm

mastermixer wrote:The mismatched shoes bothers me more than anything

!!!!!

This, a thousand times. Even that mild rule of black/white/gray/jersey colour would be enough.

I'm all for players expressing themselves whichever way they want to, but this is a pet peeve of mine and makes watching games just a tad more annoying. And no, I don't have OCD.
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,416

Post#107 » by SNPA » Sat May 18, 2024 10:18 pm

Mallie wrote:
mastermixer wrote:The mismatched shoes bothers me more than anything

!!!!!

This, a thousand times. Even that mild rule of black/white/gray/jersey colour would be enough.

I'm all for players expressing themselves whichever way they want to, but this is a pet peeve of mine and makes watching games just a tad more annoying. And no, I don't have OCD.

It’s like the term uniform just got abandoned. You wear neon pink and you wear sunburst yellow!
disoblige
Head Coach
And1: 859

Post#108 » by disoblige » Sat May 18, 2024 10:25 pm

You wear suits to impress or make a good impression. They dont need it.
t-time
RealGM
And1: 1,794

Post#109 » by t-time » Sat May 18, 2024 11:39 pm

With Silver in charge coaches will need to start wearing dresses.
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,753

Post#110 » by Meat » Sat May 18, 2024 11:57 pm

D.Brasco wrote:I hope not

Yeah but who ****?
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,753

Post#111 » by Meat » Sun May 19, 2024 12:01 am

Dominator83 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:I like wearing suits so if I was coach, I would wear one. Now you know, put a good PR on me to your local NBA GM.

you do you, but I'm assuming you're less intelligent if I see you in a suit lol. And I'm in finance. It's funny...it's actually shaped my view of sales guys at conferences where they're trying to sell tech and solutions. Anyone in a tie, makes me want to pull away. And a suit..dear lord, sorry I'm not even talking to you.

You discriminate people for dressing well? That's a new one. I'm not much of a dresser myself. So i guess I'm hired? Lol

You kind do now, I got laughed at for wearing a suit to my last interview, granted it’s a startup but we’re worth a lot
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,970

Post#112 » by azcatz11 » Sun May 19, 2024 12:08 am

dhsilv2 wrote:

Guess you’ve never been to Wall Street. They all wear suits there. Or out to a nice steakhouse.
SweaterBae
Sixth Man
And1: 2,812

Post#113 » by SweaterBae » Sun May 19, 2024 12:19 am

I absolutely cannot imagine caring what a coach is wearing. The whole what's nice and what isn't is a construct of a fashion industry.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 3,119

Post#114 » by cdubbz » Sun May 19, 2024 12:35 am

Clemenza wrote:I can't picture a suit mandate for coaches coming back at all

Same. The league and coaches would have to go complete Allen Iverson for attire for them to bring back suits.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,401

Post#115 » by MTJazzv3 » Sun May 19, 2024 1:32 am

The whole suit thing was a relic of my generation. The professional (but not player) athletic wear makes all those guys more real and comfortable. Maybe one good thing that came out of Covid.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,695

Post#116 » by jokeboy86 » Sun May 19, 2024 2:58 am

MTJazzv3 wrote:The whole suit thing was a relic of my generation. The professional (but not player) athletic wear makes all those guys more real and comfortable. Maybe one good thing that came out of Covid.

I also heard the coaches and assistants like it cause they save on wardrobe expenses and pack lighter now.
cornchip
Pro Prospect
And1: 543

Post#117 » by cornchip » Sun May 19, 2024 3:46 am

MTJazzv3 wrote:The whole suit thing was a relic of my generation. The professional (but not player) athletic wear makes all those guys more real and comfortable. Maybe one good thing that came out of Covid.

I think when most of the general workforce wore suits, then it made some sense that NBA coaches wore suits. It would look a little ridiculous for fans to pay all that money and watch the coach, who represents the NBA team, dress down. Now that most of the workforce dresses more casual, I think it's perfectly fine for NBA coaches to do the same.

Funny enough, this thread was made a couple years ago when suits at work seemed like a thing of a past. But slowly and surely, suits are making a comeback at work.

I went in to see my doctor a few weeks ago, who has been wearing scrubs for the past couple of years. He was dressed in a suit (with a doctor's coat). I asked him about it and he told me he felt a little silly when he would see some patients still dressed in formal work attire and he'd be wearing scrubs. Also said that patients liked/felt more comfortable with him in a shirt and tie. Probably the same in financial and business sectors. People just feel more comfortable with those who make the extra effort with their appearance.
WemBA Time
Sophomore
And1: 299

Post#118 » by WemBA Time » Sun May 19, 2024 4:06 am

My Main Man wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:Just another example of the downfall of our society. A suit used to mean something. People used to take pride in how they dressed. Now coaches where jogging sweatpants on the sideline.

Just another example of the downfall of our society. A powdered wig and a hand-embroidered tailcoat used to mean something. People used to take pride in how they dressed. Now they just wear suits made on assembly lines.

Nah this is for the tunnel intro and post-game press conferences, not the sidelines.
Not a Stan account…yet.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 26,619

Post#119 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun May 19, 2024 7:27 am

Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
OriAr
Sophomore
And1: 122

Post#120 » by OriAr » Sun May 19, 2024 7:56 am

There are actually rumors that the NBA is looking at bringing them back next season.
Read on Twitter

Return to The General Board